「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Nov 22, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #95,581 of 177,750
  Huh, that's interesting. The Nexus 4 and Oppo Find 5 seem to have the same CPU/GPU combo. Mine has no trouble keeping up with audio playback.

Maybe it's due to the higher resolution screen on the Find 5 which uses more GPU processing power.

Nov 22, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #95,582 of 177,750

Alright, I'll check that setting once I get off my lazy a** and walk over to my iPad.

Personally, I just transcode the files to the highest quality 8-bit files the iPad can support, I couldn't be bothered messing around with different players and settings.

I don't miss the extra 2 bits. 
tongue.gif
 It's a pain not being able to just transfer over files that you've freshly downloaded though.

I'd say we're about 2 or 3 generations off until the SoC's will be able to handle high bitrate 1080p 10-bit playback.

Nov 22, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #95,583 of 177,750
It's always warm/hot in Singapore, I don't like it there, and I've only been there for about 15 hours. :p  

How are your living costs going to be handled? It might also be another factor to consider.

I have 7-8k euro to spend on living costs. Which is plenty for most cities to survive 5 months, and if it's not, my parents are willing to chip in. So that really ain't a problem.

It's a lot of a mix bag in my opinion with Asia in terms of 'prestige'. Tsinghua(PRC) is prestigious and nice for some Asian countries while for others its not. HK Univs are for some and aren't as much for others.

Just a thought, but have you ever thought about using USA to maximize academic prestige?

It is very easy if you are in a USA University to go to most school's around the world if you choose (and have the money.)

The first part is very true. I looked at several world ranking lists and on some e.g. Singapore was in the top 10, whereas on others it wasn't even in the top 200 anywhere. It's pretty hard to figure stuff out. But I think at least HK is supposed to be pretty good according to most rankings, but which of the universities in HK varies dramatically again. It's not very insightful at all, but I think I'm just going with HK as my second choice. I'm not basing this as much on facts as I am basing this on general 'feel' really.

Singapore is definitely somewhere you won't be crippled in terms of language barrier. It's a pretty nice place, though as deadly mentioned its warm... and humid... coming from the Netherlands im not sure how well you will handle that. Not to say Kyoto isn't warm, but Kansai tends to be a bit cooler than urban heat islands like Tokyo; the buildings there are lower and it's less crowded.

Also whether this is an important factor for you or not, but little to no storm/hurricane/earthquake in Singapore

Very true. Weather is definitely going to be quite the shock, I reckon. I get crazy when it's above 25 degrees Celsius here.

Come to Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, ranking should be high.... :xf_eek:

LOL I might as well do the same....

Come to the Chinese University of Hong Kong! :D

That really does look quite impressive. Both of them.

Or you can come to Singapore to be closer to me... By then, I'll only be around 300 km or less of punching distance from you.

That's actually fairly close. I've driven significantly longer distances in (the backseat of) a car in less than a day.

Wut?

Hahaha sucks for you suckers

My school is in the middle of nowhere surrounded by mountains...........

That's actually inconvenient. Having a university close to a city means that it's much easier to commute from surrounding cities, and it's also much easier to go to bars close to the uni.

Speaking of university, my hopes from back in high school were completely demolished.....

I mean... my courses could've been great given the materials... if only the professors and TAs knows how to run a course properly!!

Take my physics course for example: contains 12 chapters.
My professor spent half the semester going through the first 2 and rushed through the rest of them with whatever time that remains....

Sounds like I won't be going to that university in that case.
Never had that problem at my university. I never had anything nearly as bad as that. Some people are not that good at giving lectures because they tell in a very dry and boring manner, but at least the organization of all the courses was really well done. And for most courses it's actually a pleasure to go to lectures because the teachers are able to explain really well. (I avoid using the word professor, since about half of my teachers aren't professors but rather just experienced post-docs. Professor is a really high and prestigious title)

Nov 22, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #95,584 of 177,750
yeah I was enjoying some fresh new anime I just got in 1080p mkv w/out a hiccup on my nexus 7.  Was kinda expecting stutters and lag and just plain crap but it played it like a champ.  

Nov 22, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #95,585 of 177,750
  yeah I was enjoying some fresh new anime I just got in 1080p mkv w/out a hiccup on my nexus 7.  Was kinda expecting stutters and lag and just plain crap but it played it like a champ.  

Was it a 10-bit anime though? If it's 8-bit then no big deal, my Find 5 can also play it.

Nov 22, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #95,586 of 177,750
I've only had 2 proper professors teach me here in Glasgow so far, and as far I'm concerned, they both have a certain charisma about them when they lecture. Not to say that the other lecturers don't, of course.

On a really happy side note, my headphones from Germany arrived this morning! \: D/

I'm still not going to use them anytime soon! \: DD/

Just like how I'm not going to use my graphics tablet anytime soon either! \: DDD/

Nov 22, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #95,587 of 177,750

Was it a 10-bit anime though? If it's 8-bit then no big deal, my Find 5 can also play it.

yeah had to double check with via vlc and mediainfo but it said 10 bit

Nov 22, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #95,589 of 177,750

On a really happy side note, my headphones from Germany arrived this morning! \: D/

Just like how I'm not going to use my graphics tablet anytime soon either! \: DDD/

Tell me more about these headphones :3

And why, if I may ask, are you not going to use them anytime soon?

Nov 22, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #95,590 of 177,750

I never thought it was that big. That's one huge ass DAP. 

BTW, since you're a FiiO expert. I've recommended my best friend the X3 and he plans to buy it around the end of this month and later either a pair of V-Moda M-100 or Momentum Over-ear but since he doesn't really like troubleshooting is the X3 a wise choice or should he spend a little more and wait for the X5? Also, does it pair well with the Momentum or the M-100?
I've described to him the general characteristics of those two headphones. He personally heard the Momentum and liked it for the vocals but thinks that it lacks impact, he tried the Momentum and the Focal Spirit One back to back and found that he liked the Spirit One for an electronic track but when I made him listen to some Jazz music he immediately found the Momentum better in the vocal department. He hasn't heard the M-100 yet but he seems to be more interested in the M-100 due to its cheaper price.

IIRC, the AK100 MkII fixed the high output impedance. Personally, I've tried the AK100 Mk1 and AK120 and I can say that they're very beautiful DAPs with solid weight, high build quality and pretty UI but I can't say much about its sound since I heard it with someone else's music and I didn't have an MicroSD card with my reference music to plug it to.

I don't think my pics do it justice. It is REALLY big. The thickness drives the point home

It depends on how much troubleshooting. The X3 sometimes has media updating problems. This is when you put songs 'too' deep or if you have too many folders in the root or even sub roots. For the most part it should be fine. Tell him to watch my usage videos. See if he likes the way the X3 handles. It's not extremely fast browsing or finding songs and the UI does have some quirks.

I have 7-8k euro to spend on living costs. Which is plenty for most cities to survive 5 months, and if it's not, my parents are willing to chip in. So that really ain't a problem.
The first part is very true. I looked at several world ranking lists and on some e.g. Singapore was in the top 10, whereas on others it wasn't even in the top 200 anywhere. It's pretty hard to figure stuff out. But I think at least HK is supposed to be pretty good according to most rankings, but which of the universities in HK varies dramatically again. It's not very insightful at all, but I think I'm just going with HK as my second choice. I'm not basing this as much on facts as I am basing this on general 'feel' really.
Very true. Weather is definitely going to be quite the shock, I reckon. I get crazy when it's above 25 degrees Celsius here.

That really does look quite impressive. Both of them.
That's actually fairly close. I've driven significantly longer distances in (the backseat of) a car in less than a day.
That's actually inconvenient. Having a university close to a city means that it's much easier to commute from surrounding cities, and it's also much easier to go to bars close to the uni.
Sounds like I won't be going to that university in that case.
Never had that problem at my university. I never had anything nearly as bad as that. Some people are not that good at giving lectures because they tell in a very dry and boring manner, but at least the organization of all the courses was really well done. And for most courses it's actually a pleasure to go to lectures because the teachers are able to explain really well. (I avoid using the word professor, since about half of my teachers aren't professors but rather just experienced post-docs. Professor is a really high and prestigious title)

It's not that inconvenient. We are the largest town in the entire state and have lots of stuff

Nov 22, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #95,591 of 177,750

Alright, I'll check that setting once I get off my lazy a** and walk over to my iPad.

Personally, I just transcode the files to the highest quality 8-bit files the iPad can support, I couldn't be bothered messing around with different players and settings.

I don't miss the extra 2 bits. 
tongue.gif
 It's a pain not being able to just transfer over files that you've freshly downloaded though.

I'd say we're about 2 or 3 generations off until the SoC's will be able to handle high bitrate 1080p 10-bit playback.

Truth be told, I haven't watched any anime on the go since Sora no Otoshimono about 1.5 years ago.
redface.gif
 But I'm fearing I may have to soon enough though, like over winter break.

New Nexus 7 or the old one?

I've only had 2 proper professors teach me here in Glasgow so far, and as far I'm concerned, they both have a certain charisma about them when they lecture. Not to say that the other lecturers don't, of course.

What headphones did you get?

Did everyone see the HD650s for under $300 from Senn's website?

Nov 22, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #95,592 of 177,750
The new nexus 7 2013 version

Nov 22, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #95,594 of 177,750
  Tell me more about these headphones :3

And why, if I may ask, are you not going to use them anytime soon?

What headphones did you get?

Did everyone see the HD650s for under $300 from Senn's website?

I got a pair of AKG K701s, they're huuuuuuuge : D
I don't plan on using them anytime soon since I don't have my own PC or laptop, the one I'm currently using is my Finnish flatmate's laptop, which is also why I haven't been using my graphics tablet : |
Also, I really would like to keep them nice and safe; they're the most expensive headphones I've bought to date!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back