「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Nov 17, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #95,086 of 177,750
All this IEM business is seriously making me consider selling all my IEMs and getting some CIEMs or a better set of IEMs at the least...
Also, Rikkun or any other math gurus, any insight on how I'd even start on this problem?

I'd listen to Eve on this take. (See my last quote this post). Though it's super tempting yes.

Erm... I'm not a math guru and I'll probably not have the right method for you but...
since you have double integration in the order dx dy, you gotta do dx first.
When doing the inner integral with dx, ANYTHING that isn't an x variable is essentially a constant. So you're essentially integrating 6y(x^2) where 6y is a constant. First solve the inner integral with it's boundary/range considered.
Once you got your answer, you do the outer integral in a similar fashion. You won't have any x's left by this point.

I'd stay away from customs if you can. Unless the company is known for a 100% success rate in terms of comfort (like FitEar), or has soft shells with silicone. 

Personally I learned the lesson the hard way.

Much safer bet in high end universals.

This.
But, well, it is certainly tempting. But I think some people just won't ever get good fits. I've made my own impressions (yes, yes, a professional can most likely make a better one) a few times, and there is pretty much ALWAYS a fit/seal issue in the end with one side. I think my left ear is dumb; sometimes dual flanges fit beautifully and sometimes it hurts like crazy. But basically if you drop big cash on a CIEM, there's always the chance of the same thing happening to you.

Nov 17, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #95,087 of 177,750

All this IEM business is seriously making me consider selling all my IEMs and getting some CIEMs or a better set of IEMs at the least...

DO IT! These I got ES5s are pretty amazing, I am prefering them to my home rig so far... so silky smooth...

But... $1200... :S

I'd stay away from customs if you can. Unless the company is known for a 100% success rate in terms of comfort (like FitEar), or has soft shells with silicone. 

I'd stay away from customs because:
1. resell value is low
2. you don't really know what to expect since everything is based on people's thoughts/experiences and you can't just "try" one yourself (hence custom)

I'm going to answer both of these in the same breath right here:
That's why I am really considering the 1964ears V3s. My aunt and uncle live nearby; they said I could come down sometime and they would pay for the transit fee, or I could if it's not very expensive. From there I can get down to Portland and try out the V3s before buying them. If I liked them, there is an audiologist across the border that is 1964ears' "official" audiologist, and they will do impressions for $25 and if they aren't right, they'll redo them for free.
And if I liked them, I wouldn't want to sell them, would I? 
tongue.gif

Nov 17, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #95,088 of 177,750

Also, Rikkun or any other math gurus, any insight on how I'd even start on this problem?

I'd listen to Eve on this take. (See my last quote this post). Though it's super tempting yes.

Erm... I'm not a math guru and I'll probably not have the right method for you but...
since you have double integration in the order dx dy, you gotta do dx first.
When doing the inner integral with dx, ANYTHING that isn't an x variable is essentially a constant. So you're essentially integrating 6y(x^2) where 6y is a constant. First solve the inner integral with it's boundary/range considered.
Once you got your answer, you do the outer integral in a similar fashion. You won't have any x's left by this point.

This.
But, well, it is certainly tempting. But I think some people just won't ever get good fits. I've made my own impressions (yes, yes, a professional can most likely make a better one) a few times, and there is pretty much ALWAYS a fit/seal issue in the end with one side. I think my left ear is dumb; sometimes dual flanges fit beautifully and sometimes it hurts like crazy. But basically if you drop big cash on a CIEM, there's always the chance of the same thing happening to you.

See my post for a rebuttal @CIEMs. XD
Ideally, I would get the TDK IE800 or BA200 on a super good Black Friday sale, love them, and sell off everything else! :D
You have any IEM recommendations meng?
{taken from IM chat with someone}
-I want something with elevated, thumpy bass, forward/engaging female vocals, and good clarity overall
-Oh, and really good isolation.
-Most BAs -> No bass
 Most dynamics -> Poor isolation
 Hybrids still haven't gotten the mix down right from what I've heard.

Did you read the instructions? It says to convert the equation to polar first before trying to integrate it. 
tongue.gif

Nov 17, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #95,089 of 177,750
My fit is really good the first time around, but I may want to refit right side... but maybe I shouldn't take the risk.

Atm, my left side has a 'perfect' fit, almost impossible to break doing anything but a super wide smile/laugh. I cant sleep on that side because it pushes tip of canal into my second bend. My right side is a little loser and sometimes looses seal when doing something like eating an apple, or violently shaking my head. I can sleep on this side and it disappears into my ear a little more than left side. Both sides reseal by themselves and are comfortable wearing them 24/7. There is absolutely no channel imbalance either.

Should I just be happy with my fit now?

Nov 17, 2013 at 2:45 AM Post #95,090 of 177,750
  But... $1200... :S

I'm going to answer both of these in the same breath right here:
That's why I am really considering the 1964ears V3s. My aunt and uncle live nearby; they said I could come down sometime and they would pay for the transit fee, or I could if it's not very expensive. From there I can get down to Portland and try out the V3s before buying them. If I liked them, there is an audiologist across the border that is 1964ears' "official" audiologist, and they will do impressions for $25 and if they aren't right, they'll redo them for free.
And if I liked them, I wouldn't want to sell them, would I? 
tongue.gif

This.

Imo, the gamble is more on the fit than the sound. I did my impressions at an "official" UE audiologist two times without a successful result. I'm just one of those unlucky folks whose ears aren't suited for CIEMs.

My final gamble will be with FitEar, since they do employ a different impression making technique. Hopefully that'll be able to give solid results. 

So yea, you could be one of the luckier folks who get it done in one try, or one whos ears never fit CIEMs. Either way, it's worth considering :)

Nov 17, 2013 at 2:47 AM Post #95,091 of 177,750
My fit is really good the first time around, but I may want to refit right side... but maybe I shouldn't take the risk.

Atm, my left side has a 'perfect' fit, almost impossible to break doing anything but a super wide smile/laugh. I cant sleep on that side because it pushes tip of canal into my second bend. My right side is a little loser and sometimes looses seal when doing something like eating an apple, or violently shaking my head. I can sleep on this side and it disappears into my ear a little more than left side. Both sides reseal by themselves and are comfortable wearing them 24/7. There is absolutely no channel imbalance either.

Should I just be happy with my fit now?

Don't do it. It is possible for the refit to be worse than the originals. That was my case. My left side was loose. So I refit it. Not only did  I not get a seal, but it started to hurt after an hour. I would just leave it and be content. And a "perfect" seal is really hard to get. Since the CIEM is static while your ear is dynamic.

Nov 17, 2013 at 2:50 AM Post #95,092 of 177,750

Clue: convert to polar coordinates.

x=r cost(t)
y=r sin(t)
r^2 = x^2 + y^2
dy dx = da = r dr dt

Don't forget to convert your limits!

DISCLAIMER: I didn't actually read the question. Just saw convert to polar coordinates.

Nov 17, 2013 at 2:52 AM Post #95,093 of 177,750

This.

Imo, the gamble is more on the fit than the sound. I did my impressions at an "official" UE audiologist two times without a successful result. I'm just one of those unlucky folks whose ears aren't suited for CIEMs.

My final gamble will be with FitEar, since they do employ a different impression making technique. Hopefully that'll be able to give solid results. 

So yea, you could be one of the luckier folks who get it done in one try, or one whos ears never fit CIEMs. Either way, it's worth considering :)

But if I don't get a proper fit with mine, I can literally take a bus down to their HQ, hand deliver the remolds to 64ears, and get my remolded CIEMs. No costly shipping across countries required :3

Nov 17, 2013 at 3:05 AM Post #95,094 of 177,750

Clue: convert to polar coordinates.

x=r cost(t)
y=r sin(t)
r^2 = x^2 + y^2
dy dx = da = r dr dt

Don't forget to convert your limits!

DISCLAIMER: I didn't actually read the question. Just saw convert to polar coordinates.

Lolol, I know that much, it's the variable "a" that's throwing me off...

Also, I tried following this gent's answer:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100327161044AAdd8G9
But that didn't give me the right answer. (I got 4/5a^4)

Nov 17, 2013 at 3:08 AM Post #95,095 of 177,750
  But if I don't get a proper fit with mine, I can literally take a bus down to their HQ, hand deliver the remolds to 64ears, and get my remolded CIEMs. No costly shipping across countries required :3

Well, the only thing you'd be risking is the price of the CIEMs. Well anyways, the decision is yours.

Nov 17, 2013 at 3:18 AM Post #95,097 of 177,750

Well, the only thing you'd be risking is the price of the CIEMs. Well anyways, the decision is yours.

Yeah, I'm still pretty worried about it, especially trying to persuade my mom that I need EVEN MOAR headphones...

Also, is it me, or does Homura look kinda derpy on the third movie's poster?

On a totally random note, I downloaded the CG set from the Oreimo Happy End PS3 game and looked through it. Oh myyy, some interesting things seem to happen in the game...
Lots of random near-ass shots, especially for a console game Mr. MC (his name escapes me right now) seems to get in embarrassing situations with every character Ayase seems to get pregnant with what I will assume is Mr. MC's baby.
Lots of other interesting things. Suffice to say I'll have some good avatar material once Rin stops being the best girl. XD

Nov 17, 2013 at 3:18 AM Post #95,098 of 177,750
Nov 17, 2013 at 3:54 AM Post #95,100 of 177,750

Users who are viewing this thread

Back