「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Oct 30, 2013 at 3:06 AM Post #93,736 of 177,750

It seems to me that P-P is a hybrid of the O2 and the C5. Impressive.
basshead.gif

Oct 30, 2013 at 3:19 AM Post #93,739 of 177,750
Oct 30, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #93,741 of 177,750
  It's the touring Alpha Dog. Tracey will get it after me on Friday.

Oh you lucky persons...
Be sure to tell us if they are really this groundbreaking :wink:

This anime sounds cool but got meh reviews :/
http://myanimelist.net/anime/6973/Senkou_no_Night_Raid

Oct 30, 2013 at 3:42 AM Post #93,742 of 177,750
Sorry for bringing this up again. Between Mac models, I'm narrowing it down to the 1600-1700 price point. 

I could get the last gen 15 in Macbook Pro 2.4 ghz i7 Quad core which should have 7 hr battery life 

or 

the newest 13in Macbook Pro 2.6 ghz i5 dual core which clocks at around 9 hrs of life. It also has the faster pci based stuff etc... 

Both priced at around the same price. 
Not going to look at higher priced options anymore.

Would the referbished 15 in model be much faster at editing stuff compared to the dual core 13 in? 

Right now I'm trying to balance the benefits and costs of ea option...(better batterylife, faster read/write vs faster processor etc)

Oct 30, 2013 at 3:49 AM Post #93,743 of 177,750

Yeah, I'd be at a lost for words too, literally.

EveTan was.

I don't really pay attention, so guess I missed out from the beginning - 

Isn't it the same? You're still paying an obscene amount for what the PC equivalent would achieve at a much lower price.

Don't worry - the equivalents that manage to level with the all-inclusive packaging, niceties, and construction (notice I'm not saying build) of a Mac- they run pretty exorbitant pricings as well. The Fujitsu has that screen novelty, but still runs pretty heavy on the wallet. The T440s (one I'm waiting for personally) has the fingerprint reading, the ridiculously good chassis and noise level, among a slough of other things - ridiculous pricing, you can't even get the i7-4600U version outside of Europe, from the rumors. Zenbook Infinity - need I go on?

First, I guess I'm looking at that performance/price ratio.

It'd be helpful if perhaps you guys could list some PC alternatives ( in terms of raw specs). Let's say I wanted a snappy computer for video/photo editing etc. 

Deskop latency and benchmarkable speeds are not one and the same.

That being said, I get where you're going with this. As Bowei and Mech said....

Really....any that have a modern i5 or i7 with 8GB+ of RAM and a SSD will basically lead to an extremely snappy computer for video and photo editing.

People overblow GPU's and their usage in those areas. The Intel 4000HD's are more than enough for the hardware acceleration for those programs generally in terms of price for performance. Paying for a Gaming laptop the same price as the Ultrabook at the $1000 price area(which means the Ultrabook will have the SSD and better CPU if we go by best computer performance at that price in that area) for just Video and photo editing will leave the Ultrabook in the lead is what I'm getting at. In that a good GPU does have many good parts for some video editing programs and its acceleration possibilites but its quite overblown right now.

So yeah, Samsung Ultrabooks or even Toshiba and Lenovo ones. I'm saying Ultrabook because those (typically) have SSD's, good RAM, and high CPU power but you are indeed paying a premium for the build. If there was a 'regular' laptop with SSD, 8+GB or RAM and a i5 or i7 3xxxm then it will be fine if not better for the price.

A lot of differences are under the hood in performance, battery life, cooling, the chips, and ports on the computer. And depending on model you buy, some don't have Retina.

Well, there are some compelling windows ultrabooks that are out or coming out, but none with quad core processors to my knowledge. I'm honestly not sure how much a lower frequency quad core CPU will help you versus a dual core CPU though in all honesty.
The new Haswell CPUs are definitely worth the extra money, IMO.
Some alternatives to the MBP reteyenuh that I've found are:
Samsung ativ book+ (3200x1800 display, dual core Haswell, 128GB SSD, 4GB RAM)
Lenovo Yoga 2 (3200x1800 display, dual core Haswell, storage varies. Probably the best deal right now since one model is or at least was $250 off last time I checked)
Asus Zenbook Infinity (2560x1440 display, dual core Haswell, rest of the specs unknown by me. Will be coming out later this year. Looks the sexiest of everything out there IMO.)

And of course they've already listed some solid choices.

I've only looked at business stuff so I'd not be too sure as to the normie choices, as I said before there's the Fujitsu to add to that slough of Ultrabooks, generally hear good things about the construction (no comment on longevity or serviceability), heck I have a decade-old Fujitsu here running like a champ, although that doesn't say much to their current offerings.

There's also this thingy, if you want to cut some ends with the display res (come on though HD+ is not that bad), and of course i7-4500U although a whoop-de-doo 4600U, but come on, if you want a 4900MQ 4-core in there you might as well edit with a desktop . I'd invite you to go back to Bowei though, as he's said - you really don't need all that much.

I think at some level - you'd probably be better off not thinking too hard about this sort of stuff, and just get a Mac. OS X benefits two ways - you have great attention to user interactions within design, and end up not being a conscious user, it's a very focused experience. But there's some great power tools and tech in the background if you ever need it. Honestly, having bash is enough for me. Have you ever read an Ars review of OS X? They make me believe...

Nicole left.

1: Quicker boot times. On my OCZ Vertex 4 SSDs, Windows 8 loads in about 8 seconds (excluding UEFI POST screen) and on my netbook, it takes about 20 seconds with an Intel 320 series SSD (excluding BIOS POST)

Oh, and I honestly think the lack of a startbar makes me more efficient when I'm using my desktop. Instead using the windows button for shortcuts for stuff, I just memorized the keyboard shortcuts for each respective thing I wanted to do.

I'm still boasting 3 sec boots with a static ip instead of dhcp.

Amazingly, perhaps you can learn to tile for your window management needs, since you're keyboard weened now. 

Oct 30, 2013 at 3:51 AM Post #93,745 of 177,750

It's the touring Alpha Dog. Tracey will get it after me on Friday.

Oh you lucky persons...
Be sure to tell us if they are really this groundbreaking :wink:

From what I've listened to so far it reminds me of a LCD-2: a bit closed-in, but spacious for a closed-back, a bit thick and dark, excellent midrange with good weight, smooth laid-back treble. I like its midrange more than the SRS-2170, but the STAX have the instrument separation and speed that I like. I actually think the Alpha Dog has a larger soundstage than the STAX but the STAX have a level of instrument clarity that just can't be matched by it; they are quite different in presentation.

This just doesn't sound the same on the Alpha Dog as it does with the STAX.

Oct 30, 2013 at 3:58 AM Post #93,746 of 177,750
  Sorry for bringing this up again. Between Mac models, I'm narrowing it down to the 1600-1700 price point. 

I could get the last gen 15 in Macbook Pro 2.4 ghz i7 Quad core which should have 7 hr battery life 

or 

the newest 13in Macbook Pro 2.6 ghz i5 dual core which clocks at around 9 hrs of life. It also has the faster pci based stuff etc... 

Both priced at around the same price. 
Not going to look at higher priced options anymore.

Would the referbished 15 in model be much faster at editing stuff compared to the dual core 13 in? 

Right now I'm trying to balance the benefits and costs of ea option...(better batterylife, faster read/write vs faster processor etc)

Go compare some i7-3630QM vs i7-4960HQ benchmarks then.

Mavericks might have some impact on those estimates (which, of course, are estimates - go read some reviews for real-life usage cases)

Much...I mean it's so incremental, honestly, you'd be better off learning how to make more competent videos, rather than worrying about this.

Hehehe...P-P....

Again with the metal shafts.

You'd think a loli purveyor would be scared schiitless of the things...

Jiyoung might too...... 
frown.gif

Meh, care a bit less about her.

Oct 30, 2013 at 4:02 AM Post #93,747 of 177,750
From what I've listened to so far it reminds me of a LCD-2: a bit closed-in, but spacious for a closed-back, a bit thick and dark, excellent midrange with good weight, smooth laid-back treble. I like its midrange more than the SRS-2170, but the STAX have the instrument separation and speed that I like. I actually think the Alpha Dog has a larger soundstage than the STAX but the STAX have a level of instrument clarity that just can't be matched by it; they are quite different in presentation.

Sounds good so far. How is the super cool screw-powered bass? :)

Cloudkicker is awesome btw.
Bought almost all of his EPs and LPs ^o^

Oct 30, 2013 at 4:12 AM Post #93,748 of 177,750

Sounds good so far. How is the super cool screw-powered bass? :)

Cloudkicker is awesome btw.
Bought almost all of his EPs and LPs ^o^

I haven't had the chance to try it yet since I've been busy comparing amps with the FiiO HS2.
With the Alpha Dog as the headphone and an iPod Video 5th gen as my source: O2 ≥ P-P > C5 > E12

It turns out MOAR POWAH ≠ better. Go figure.

Oct 30, 2013 at 4:44 AM Post #93,750 of 177,750

Yup, it'll be literally roughly twice as fast.

Go for the refurb then, unless you reaaallyy want the increased portability of the 13inch. A few hours difference of battery life isn't the end of the world, since they already have great battery life to begin with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back