「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Apr 23, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #71,926 of 177,752
Quote:
The moon is not a planet...
That or you're talking about something else.
That sounds pretty doable. Except for the misspelling of mathematics.
wink.gif

I don't know how good your academics are, but for most people getting either of those would be pretty impressive. I sincerely wish you the best of luck with your exams.

I'm not referring to moon.

*Facepalm*
Well, my predicted grade is just about 33 so it's actually quite marginal for me.

Speaking of maths, I think I'm starting to develop this weird appreciation for it.
i.e. I find some functions beautiful and always tries to make mathematical models for stuff I come across....
Is that normal?

Here's something I did the other day showing instability of amplifiers due to phase-shift:
Graph - Frequency vs gain:

Apr 23, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #71,929 of 177,752
Speaking of maths, I think I'm starting to develop this weird appreciation for it.

i.e. I find some functions beautiful and always tries to make mathematical models for stuff I come across....
Is that normal?

Here's something I did the other day showing instability of amplifiers due to phase-shift:
Graph - Frequency vs gain:

Yes, that is quite normal. In fact, right now I'm working on a mathematical model of human behavior. It's quite a lot of work, but I'm making process.

Apr 23, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #71,930 of 177,752
Quote:
Yes, that is quite normal. In fact, right now I'm working on a mathematical model of human behavior. It's quite a lot of work, but I'm making process.

Ill look forward to seeing it
biggrin.gif

Now that I can finally do some of the maths in electronics, it really seems like a work of art!
I'm thinking of self-learning the fourier series / transform over the summer. :p

Apr 23, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #71,931 of 177,752
Ill look forward to seeing it :D

Now that I can finally do some of the maths in electronics, it really seems like a work of art!
I'm thinking of self-learning the fourier series / transform over the summer. :p

Don't underestimate it though. Fourier requires quite a good grasp of infinite series, and if you really want a proper understanding and use it in a more general sense you've gotta use linear algebra and analysis. But you're probably fine with IB Math HL if you've done the series and differential equations option topic.

Though I have to admit that I don't know a lot about Fourier yet, I just know what it is, and not how to apply them and do calculations with them. It'll be covered in class right after summer AFAIK.

Apr 23, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #71,932 of 177,752
Quote:
Don't underestimate it though. Fourier requires quite a good grasp of infinite series, and if you really want a proper understanding and use it in a more general sense you've gotta use linear algebra and analysis. But you're probably fine with IB Math HL if you've done the series and differential equations option topic.

Though I have to admit that I don't know a lot about Fourier yet, I just know what it is, and not how to apply them and do calculations with them. It'll be covered in class right after summer AFAIK.

Unfortunately we did the discrete maths option.......

I have a basic understanding of the Fourier series from reading the wiki but can't do the calculations.

Apr 23, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #71,934 of 177,752
Quote:
Lucky! Discrete maths is way more fun that calculus.

It sure seems easier but calculus is way more useful for me.
I'm not particularly found of the number theory, too abstract and non-applicable for me.
Graph theory was fun though (we learned to connect the dots!)
biggrin.gif

Apr 23, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #71,935 of 177,752
Quote:
I think Valvrave starts quite interestingly, although maybe a bit absurd but it shows some promise. But it walks on a fine thread of being a disappointment. I just hope it will not be. Shingeki no Kyojin, I will definitively continue watching. Suisei no Gargantia will probably be my favourite anime of the year. Devil Survivor 2 is a bit of a let down to be honest. It's quite mediocre. If it can't prove me wrong on the next episode, I will probably drop it.

Yeah, I think that as well
Quote:
re: kyoani's bishounen swimming anime, I will be happy since the main fans of KyoAni are not. Their misery is my ecstasy.

I'll try that series out

Apr 23, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #71,936 of 177,752
It sure seems easier but calculus is way more useful for me.

I'm not particularly found of the number theory, too abstract and non-applicable for me.
Graph theory was fun though (we learned to connect the dots!) :D

I'll have graph theory and number theory next year, but I'm looking forward to it. Also looking forward to Galois, groups and rings.

Calculus is way too applied for me, and for the main part consists of calculations instead of solving difficult problems and writing proofs.

Apr 23, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #71,940 of 177,752
Quote:
What...? discrete maths in computer science?

Yep, Theory of Computation, the three types of induction and well-ordering, finite state automata, languages, runtimes, the list goes on...

I don't know about engineering programs in Asia, but in Canada this sort of stuff doesn't appear until you do your engineering master's or Ph D thesis in graduate school. We CS students learn it early.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back