「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Oct 4, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #33,572 of 177,750
Oct 4, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #33,573 of 177,750
Quote:
Fine.

Well, I only have one reply and the person recommended the HD600, the ATH-AD900, and the DT880.
O.O

Will see if I have that impulse, or if I can even get control of my money by then.

Those all seem to be pretty similar cans.

Looks like the Q701s have a bit more of a bass hump than the others, with the AD900 having the least bass. As far as treble, the Q701 and especially the DT880 are a little bit brighter than the other two. Also, I looked at the distortion of all 4 and saw that the q701 has a bit more distortion in the bass than the others.
i can't comment on the beyers, but I've owned the q701, currently own the HD600, and demoed the AD900s at best buy a little bit ago.
i can say that out of these 3 I would recommend the HD600s undoubtedly.
first, the q701:
-Hardest of the 3 I've tested to drive. Not a big deal if you have an O2, but still these will sound bad out of a weak source. 
-most airy soundstage. I dislike this because there really isn't a sense of involvement in the music, there's no "center channel" if you will, to me at least.
-To me, the q701 became uncomfortable after an hour or so of use.

Second, AD900:
-While the wings are interesting, and comfortable, they didn't keep the cans positioned on my head that well. Keep in mind this is a showroom model so it's probably been abused a fair bit. 
-I didn't get enough time to evaluate the sound sig, but since these are closed back the soundstage will be the smallest of all of them.
-durability: The plastic everything didn't exactly scream durability to me.

Now, the HD600:
-The best. Simply put. They're Not fatiguing in any way, in the treble or from being worn, and the soundstage is perfect to me. While its airy because of its open backed-ness (new word there) it retains a sense of engagement I didn't get with the Q701s.
-The timbre: Oh my god, I haven't heard anything that makes instruments sound so good, ever. They sound ridiculously natural, especially piano, along with every other instrument.
-Durability: definitely better than the AD900, but there's more metal in the Q701. However, there is always the chance that the cable taking sound from the 1 entry point over to the other headphone could break. But the HD600s have dual entry, 1 per ear cup. Also, every part on the HD600 is user replaceable.

Tl;dr, if you can afford it, go for the HD600.
not sure if I could recommend the HD650 though, the mid bass boost seems to kind of thro off the perfect balance the HD600 has going IMO.
although if I had the money I'd definitely pick the hd650 out to try.

Oct 4, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #33,574 of 177,750
Quote:

Looks like the Q701s have a bit more of a bass hump than the others, with the AD900 having the least bass. As far as treble, the Q701 and especially the DT880 are a little bit brighter than the other two. Also, I looked at the distortion of all 4 and saw that the q701 has a bit more distortion in the bass than the others.
i can't comment on the beyers, but I've owned the q701, currently own the HD600, and demoed the AD900s at best buy a little bit ago.
first, the q701:
-Hardest of the 3 I've tested to drive. Not a big deal if you have an O2, but still these will sound bad out of a weak source. 
-most airy soundstage. I dislike this because there really isn't a sense of involvement in the music, there's no "center channel" if you will, to me at least.

Second, AD900:
-While the wings are interesting, and comfortable, they didn't keep the cans positioned on my head that well. Keep in mind this is a showroom model so it's probably been abused a fair bit. 
-I didn't get enough time to evaluate the sound sig, but since these are closed back the soundstage will be the smallest of all of them.

Now, the HD600:
-The best. Simply put. They're Not fatiguing in any way, in the treble or from being worn, and the soundstage is perfect to me. While its airy because of its open backed-ness (new word there) it retains a sense of engagement I didn't get with the Q701s.
-The timbre: Oh my god, I haven't heard anything that makes instruments sound so good, ever. They sound ridiculously natural, especially piano, along with every other instrument.
-Durability: definitely better than the AD900, but there's more metal in the Q701. However, there is always the chance that the cable taking sound from the 1 entry point over to the other headphone could break. But the HD600s have dual entry, 1 per ear cup. Also, every part on the HD600 is user replaceable.

not sure if I could recommend the HD650 though, the mid bass boost seems to kind of thro off the perfect balance the HD600 has going IMO.

+1 for the description of Q701. The build quality is really beautiful on this one, but that headband...

And DT880: clamp of death. Seriously. For classical music the treble spike is okay, perhaps even appreciated, but for vocals hm... I'm not sure, might be rather sibilant.

Aren't AD900's open back? Whatever the case, from memory most of the ATH-AD and W and A series (the big ones) had pretty airy sound. Granted back then I never heard those AKG's K/Q70x. There was one really expensive tiny AKG headphone that blew my mind away with soundstage though. Still no idea which one it was... Considering it was something along the lines of 20k yen (or was it 60k), it probably isn't the K450.

From what I've been reading, people generally recommend the HD600 over the HD650. Not sure I remember why; may be something to do with price/value. Buying used is then a different story.

Oct 4, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #33,575 of 177,750
Quote:
+1 for the description of Q701. The build quality is really beautiful on this one, but that headband...

And DT880: clamp of death. Seriously. For classical music the treble spike is okay, perhaps even appreciated, but for vocals hm... I'm not sure, might be rather sibilant.

Aren't AD900's open back? Whatever the case, from memory most of the ATH-AD and W series (the big ones) had pretty airy sound.

From what I've been reading, people generally recommend the HD600 over the HD650. Not sure I remember why; may be something to do with price/value. Buying used is then a different story.

So, if there's a treble spike in the dt880, it would not go well with jpop.

The Ath-A900 is open backed, AD900 is closed back.

A lot of people say that because of the bass hump and slightly lower treble that the 650 sounds veiled. They also are probably using tube amps :facepalm:
But basically the HD600 is more balanced and suits the most genres the best.
I feel like the HD650 doesn't even have good bass at that. I mean it still has a really bad rolloff in the sub bass like the HD600. If you're gonna make a bassy can, at least make it extend a bit lower!!!! Perfect example being the mad dog T50rp. Btw hybrid, if you want a bassy can I would recommend thatt one. I haven't heard it yet but it's been compared to the LCD2 and basically tied with it. It's my next headphone purchase for sure. /p>

Oct 4, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #33,576 of 177,750
Really? but the AD900 is part of that AIR series thing...

Well all of them have quite a bit at ~10kHz. Just that the 10kHz spike for DT880 is THE loudest frequency of the whole frequency range.
I like to test how treble sounds with this track: (yeah sorry only found the official MMD video with quick search)

That stuff at the beginning was pretty sharp on the DT880. Granted I'm normally sporting things that don't go that far into treble but yeah.
For VanillaMood music, especially with the strings, the DT880 sounded fine.
Just btw, the Galaxias album is pretty bad :x this is the only song that I like in it but YMMV.

Never tried HD600 HD650 so I can't really comment though :x
I did still prefer the DT880@250ohms over the Q701 just because of the sound stage not being as ridiculous, but I think by now I'm probably known to dislike the Q701 anyway.
For hearing health, Q701 might be better hah.

Oct 4, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #33,577 of 177,750
Quote:

*snip*

first, the q701:

Second, AD900:

Now, the HD600:

I've heard the things surrounding the HD650 and HD600 (the marble finish of the HD600 looks pretty ugly in the pictures though IMO). I'd be willing to try both though (sort of wondering what the HD580s might have sounded like).
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechgamer123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So, if there's a treble spike in the dt880, it would not go well with jpop.

The Ath-A900 is open backed, AD900 is closed back.

A lot of people say that because of the bass hump and slightly lower treble that the 650 sounds veiled. They also are probably using tube amps :facepalm:
But basically the HD600 is more balanced and suits the most genres the best.
I feel like the HD650 doesn't even have good bass at that. I mean it still has a really bad rolloff in the sub bass like the HD600. If you're gonna make a bassy can, at least make it extend a bit lower!!!! Perfect example being the mad dog T50rp. Btw hybrid, if you want a bassy can I would recommend thatt one. I haven't heard it yet but it's been compared to the LCD2 and basically tied with it. It's my next headphone purchase for sure. /p>

Other way around. AD = open, A = closed. I think I heard some things about either the AD900 or AD700 (or both) regarding the lack of bass.

In general, more bass, less treble.

Oct 4, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #33,578 of 177,750
Quote:

Aren't AD900's open back? Whatever the case, from memory most of the ATH-AD and W and A series (the big ones) had pretty airy sound. Granted back then I never heard those AKG's K/Q70x. There was one really expensive tiny AKG headphone that blew my mind away with soundstage though. Still no idea which one it was... Considering it was something along the lines of 20k yen (or was it 60k), it probably isn't the K450.

I'm getting them and I'm using a Hifiman Hm 601, it's a rather warm DAP with Treble Roll off so it should work

and yea the Dt 880 are bright and that's what I want! Nujabes has some nice warm bass in his music, and that bass REALLY cuts the Highs dwn on my dark cans, so to overcome his awesome warmth a warm can will be nice! 

Glad to hear it handled those highs nicely

16 hours to go till I have em and <3 I'll be demoing that song too if u dont mind! 

Oh did I mention I'm Anti Beats and Anti Pro 900s now xD[ sorry bowie but I've been following the Appreciation thread and have watched ppl RAVE with hype only to eventually get rid of em,,, I think for my mid bass needs the Dt 990 will be my friend [and if I love the dt 880 then the 990 is next purcahse]

ALSO I discoverved that my Zune HD is a Dark Dap, and I use a Dark EQ on it... with a Dark Amp and DARK cans... which basically means Dub Step sounds great to me, as I like my Dub Dark, I will say that the cMoy does a better job as an amp than the Fiio, the cMoy adds more depth and Detail to the bass, where as the Fiio just bloats it....

Also I bought some Fish Finger Today for $30, got me a good bit of his music all in Wave... I want to get L-wiz but it's running me about $70 atm so I'll need to w8 on that >.> [that is ofcuse also in wave] and I'm buying from Junodownload because they are .25 cents cheaper than Beat Port

Oct 4, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #33,579 of 177,750
Quote:
Really? but the AD900 is part of that AIR series thing...

Well all of them have quite a bit at ~10kHz. Just that the 10kHz spike for DT880 is THE loudest frequency of the whole frequency range.
I like to test how treble sounds with this track: (yeah sorry only found the official MMD video with quick search)

That stuff at the beginning was pretty sharp on the DT880. Granted I'm normally sporting things that don't go that far into treble but yeah.
For VanillaMood music, especially with the strings, the DT880 sounded fine.
Just btw, the Galaxias album is pretty bad :x this is the only song that I like in it but YMMV.

Never tried HD600 HD650 so I can't really comment though :x
I did still prefer the DT880@250ohms over the Q701 just because of the sound stage not being as ridiculous, but I think by now I'm probably known to dislike the Q701 anyway.
For hearing health, Q701 might be better hah.

Cool song.

I should give the Q701 and DT880 a listen when I go buy the gr07.

Oct 4, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #33,581 of 177,750
Quote:
Yes you should. 
smile.gif
 For Haibunyan. 
tongue.gif
jk

FOR ME TO :[ I wantt some one else to like the dt 880s with me <3

Cmon Hybrid you KNOW you want to join the unoffical Anime Dt 880 Lovers Club! People do recommend the dt 880 over the HD 650 because it is more transient and neutrual! I'm hoping I can amp  it sufficently to do some Drum and Bass also! 

Oct 4, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #33,582 of 177,750
Quote:
I'm getting them and I'm using a Hifiman Hm 601, it's a rather warm DAP with Treble Roll off so it should work

and yea the Dt 880 are bright and that's what I want! Nujabes has some nice warm bass in his music, and that bass REALLY cuts the Highs dwn on my dark cans, so to overcome his awesome warmth a warm can will be nice! 

Glad to hear it handled those highs nicely

16 hours to go till I have em and <3 I'll be demoing that song too if u dont mind! 

Oh did I mention I'm Anti Beats and Anti Pro 900s now xD[ sorry bowie but I've been following the Appreciation thread and have watched ppl RAVE with hype only to eventually get rid of em,,, I think for my mid bass needs the Dt 990 will be my friend [and if I love the dt 880 then the 990 is next purcahse]

ALSO I discoverved that my Zune HD is a Dark Dap, and I use a Dark EQ on it... with a Dark Amp and DARK cans... which basically means Dub Step sounds great to me, as I like my Dub Dark, I will say that the cMoy does a better job as an amp than the Fiio, the cMoy adds more depth and Detail to the bass, where as the Fiio just bloats it....

I love this song, hope you'll enjoy it too! haha. At 2:10ish the sound has a section that's drastically different.
I won't lie, I quite liked the DT880s but I was mostly testing this song, instrumental tracks, and the one below:

Love this song!!! This is my type of music!

Also tested a few pop tracks that had a bit of bass, to see if it extends well enough.
And yeah, with a dark DAP it probably works quite well. If anything, just EQ down treble ~10k a bit.

Quote:
Cool song.

I should give the Q701 and DT880 a listen when I go buy the gr07.

The Beyerdynamics come in different ohm versions, and they all sound a bit different. See if you can try a few of them. I only tried the DT880pro @250ohms.
Too bad you live all the way in BC or I can let you try my stuff :<

Oct 4, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #33,583 of 177,750
I've heard the things surrounding the HD650 and HD600 (the marble finish of the HD600 looks pretty ugly in the pictures though IMO). I'd be willing to try both though (sort of wondering what the HD580s might have sounded like).
Other way around. AD = open, A = closed. I think I heard some things about either the AD900 or AD700 (or both) regarding the lack of bass.

In general, more bass, less treble.

I don't think I'd like the extra bass personally.
And thanks for clarifying the ATH line lol.
The marble finish definitely looks really fake but I don't mind it. They're on your head, so you never see them lol. And using an open backed headphone in public would not be advisable.
Like I said though, the HD600s just sound so damn natural...
If it wasn't for that timbre, I would've sold them and kept the GR07s, which are basically equal to the HD600 in almost every way. Except for soundstage and timbre, which are slightly worse on the GR07 than the HD600.
Also, look on razordogdeal's eBay page and make a $300 offer on the HD600s if you do get them. Not sure if they're still doing their special with Sennheiser products but it would be worth a shot.

Oct 4, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #33,584 of 177,750
Quote:
Just got a new TI Nspire....THANK THE LAWD that it has a TI 84 mode...otherwise I may have to shoot myself. The Nspire mode is hard as bafadsjfdsafjsafdsa

LOL
I've been using the nspire for 4 years now, and i can tell you it's WAAAAAYYY better than the 84

Oct 4, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #33,585 of 177,750
Quote:
I love this song, hope you'll enjoy it too! haha. At 2:10ish the sound has a section that's drastically different.
I won't lie, I quite liked the DT880s but I was mostly testing this song, instrumental tracks, and the one below:

Love this song!!! This is my type of music!

Also tested a few pop tracks that had a bit of bass, to see if it extends well enough.
And yeah, with a dark DAP it probably works quite well. If anything, just EQ down treble ~10k a bit.

The Beyerdynamics come in different ohm versions, and they all sound a bit different. See if you can try a few of them. I only tried the DT880pro @250ohms.
Too bad you live all the way in BC or I can let you try my stuff :<

The 600 Ohm is the best but only by a little, the 250 Ohm is the better purchase if u have a budget, also the 600 is a bit warmer than the 250 version.

In addition the 600 ohm Dt 990 is not worth getting also DUDE nice track, I see you like music simmilar to what I want to run on the 250 ohm Dt 880 <3 [Yea seriously I do like that! Who is it?]

Wow I have that music only in 180 kps e.e and ony iTunes sells it digitally... SCREW U iTUNES, I'm going to have to buy CDS!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back