「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Dec 28, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #177,421 of 177,744
I meant the series haha

Though I could simply go to your list linked in your signature (as is mine, dang wish I actually recorded the start/end dates of the series I've watched)

Edit:
1640700879240.png
Blast from the past

Oh well the graph is all ratings per year so that would be a lot of series, as I said earlier I'll make a AotY post in the next week or so. MAL auto records the complete date and has a "insert today's date" when you add something to your watching list so it's real easy to keep those accurate. It's the few hundred anime I have that I watched before I created my MAL that trigger my OCD :cry:

Boris is an OG, he's still around in the shadows, programming robots or something.

Dec 31, 2021 at 8:41 AM Post #177,422 of 177,744
Happy new year from the land down under

E911E5EF-6585-4F16-9E35-D7904C379571.jpeg

Dec 31, 2021 at 8:25 PM Post #177,424 of 177,744
Look at the Aussies, living in the future time of 2022. What a wild world this is.

明けましておめでとう、みんな。
お正月が好き

Jan 3, 2022 at 7:47 AM Post #177,425 of 177,744
I did a naughty and ordered some speakers...the Fostex PM0.5dB. I just needed something quick and easy to make noise for whenever I don't want to wear anything. In my defence they were on special for $300 dollarydoos shipped for the pair, and we usually get a bit shafted here for speaker pricing (USD217 or so)

Over here the JBL 305's cost 50% more, and that's getting a bit too much for basic computer use IMO. Now how am I going to fit 5 inch speakers on my desk...

It took a lot of self control not to order something like the Neumann KH120 or the Genelec 8010/8020. (I really wanted the 3 inch genelecs because they are so cute...but maybe not for $1000 for the pair haahah)

PM05D-4_1_1000x.jpg

Jan 3, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #177,426 of 177,744
I did a naughty and ordered some speakers...the Fostex PM0.5dB. I just needed something quick and easy to make noise for whenever I don't want to wear anything. In my defence they were on special for $300 dollarydoos shipped for the pair, and we usually get a bit shafted here for speaker pricing (USD217 or so)

Over here the JBL 305's cost 50% more, and that's getting a bit too much for basic computer use IMO. Now how am I going to fit 5 inch speakers on my desk...

It took a lot of self control not to order something like the Neumann KH120 or the Genelec 8010/8020. (I really wanted the 3 inch genelecs because they are so cute...but maybe not for $1000 for the pair haahah)

PM05D-4_1_1000x.jpg
Nice score! I just also ordered up a pair of Epos K5 speakers for rear surrounds in my theater setup. No need for ultimate-fi for rears and the price was only $180 for the pair (normally $500). They're crammed into a book shelf, so small and front ported was a must.

Fostex usually has a nice relaxed house sound I bet those are great for PC use. Fitting speakers on desks got a lot more difficult when monitors changed to 16:9 and got bigger than 17", let alone super wides and the advent of LCD panels made desks even smaller typically. My solution has been deep desks, speakers horizontal so they fire below the monitor (mostly).

Jan 3, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #177,427 of 177,744
In related news:
7DAD0C10-5084-4C41-9234-359B96ABE38C.jpeg

Jan 3, 2022 at 6:08 PM Post #177,428 of 177,744
Fitting speakers on desks got a lot more difficult when monitors changed to 16:9 and got bigger than 17", let alone super wides and the advent of LCD panels made desks even smaller typically. My solution has been deep desks, speakers horizontal so they fire below the monitor (mostly).

Yep luckily I have monitor arms so I'll be able to fit them...mostly as you say. I was thinking of dropping down to the 4 inch version but ehhhh a partially covered 5" is probably the way to go, it's all good as long as I can see the tweeter right? =P

This way the 5" would be much better for hand-me-down duty for someone's living room TV setup in the future.

I was slightly stressing out over placement and was researching into wall mounts and such...but ANYTHING would be an upgrade over the built in Mac Mini speakers. I swear they sound worse than a phone ahahah.

Jan 3, 2022 at 9:52 PM Post #177,429 of 177,744
Yep luckily I have monitor arms so I'll be able to fit them...mostly as you say. I was thinking of dropping down to the 4 inch version but ehhhh a partially covered 5" is probably the way to go, it's all good as long as I can see the tweeter right? =P

This way the 5" would be much better for hand-me-down duty for someone's living room TV setup in the future.

I was slightly stressing out over placement and was researching into wall mounts and such...but ANYTHING would be an upgrade over the built in Mac Mini speakers. I swear they sound worse than a phone ahahah.
My Logitech Z506's front satellites are horizontal.

How do monitor speakers fare in a home theatre environment?

Have you considered the HomePod Mini for the Mac Mini?

Jan 3, 2022 at 11:49 PM Post #177,430 of 177,744
How do monitor speakers fare in a home theatre environment?

Have you considered the HomePod Mini for the Mac Mini?

They do pretty well unless you need a lot of power handling, in which case you will have to step up to like 6"+ size monitors. It's probably much better value to use passive speakers and a receiver, but there are plenty of people out there using monitors. The versatility of monitors is great being self powered and all.

I did give it serious consideration, but being limited to videos/music is annoying for the 1% of the time I want to play a game (either on the Mac or PC). The processing delay makes gaming a little sad from what I've heard, because the OS can't delay the video to keep things in sync.

Jan 4, 2022 at 1:58 AM Post #177,431 of 177,744
They do pretty well unless you need a lot of power handling, in which case you will have to step up to like 6"+ size monitors. It's probably much better value to use passive speakers and a receiver, but there are plenty of people out there using monitors. The versatility of monitors is great being self powered and all.

I did give it serious consideration, but being limited to videos/music is annoying for the 1% of the time I want to play a game (either on the Mac or PC). The processing delay makes gaming a little sad from what I've heard, because the OS can't delay the video to keep things in sync.
CES is just around the corner, I wonder what new audio gear it’ll bring.

This mashup is a vibe

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2022 at 4:37 AM Post #177,432 of 177,744
All things considered, I am very happy with the purchase especially for the price.

The hiss is slightly there but at least its a white-noise ish type hiss and not a hum, I can live with it because it's drowned out by an air purifier or fan most of the time anyway. And if I'm ever working in silence it'll auto sleep after ~13 minutes of playing nothing, that's a fantastic feature (<0.5W draw, excellent). Will wake up no problem when I play something.

I have the woofer covered by the monitors like 30%ish...and they're almost right against the wall because I don't want to pull my desk forward any more...I might have to do that later after a spring cleaning.

I went for a chill target, perfect for background listening with our less-than-stellar weeb music hahahah. Uncorrected it's a boomy mess on my desk and in my tiny room.

Speakers: Fostex PM0.5dbB
Mic: minidsp UMIK-1, using moving mic technique
Software: Room EQ Wizard. macOS > BlackHole + Hosting AU for system wide EQ (all free)

mmm 3.jpg

Response found in owners manual:

Screen Shot 2022-01-05 at 8.23.58 pm.png

Jan 5, 2022 at 7:27 PM Post #177,433 of 177,744
All things considered, I am very happy with the purchase especially for the price.

The hiss is slightly there but at least its a white-noise ish type hiss and not a hum, I can live with it because it's drowned out by an air purifier or fan most of the time anyway. And if I'm ever working in silence it'll auto sleep after ~13 minutes of playing nothing, that's a fantastic feature (<0.5W draw, excellent). Will wake up no problem when I play something.

I have the woofer covered by the monitors like 30%ish...and they're almost right against the wall because I don't want to pull my desk forward any more...I might have to do that later after a spring cleaning.

I went for a chill target, perfect for background listening with our less-than-stellar weeb music hahahah. Uncorrected it's a boomy mess on my desk and in my tiny room.

Speakers: Fostex PM0.5dbB
Mic: minidsp UMIK-1, using moving mic technique
Software: Room EQ Wizard. macOS > BlackHole + Hosting AU for system wide EQ (all free)

Response found in owners manual:

DSCF1696.JPGDSCF1770.JPGDSCF1698.JPG
DSCF0986.JPG

Don't even know what model they were.

Interesting FB marketplace find

A0EFBCCA-5C59-4EEE-81D8-C4FDD358B4D1.jpeg
A22D96E6-8870-4E21-9514-595D244DE09A.jpeg

Jan 9, 2022 at 6:14 AM Post #177,434 of 177,744
Oh well the graph is all ratings per year so that would be a lot of series, as I said earlier I'll make a AotY post in the next week or so. MAL auto records the complete date and has a "insert today's date" when you add something to your watching list so it's real easy to keep those accurate. It's the few hundred anime I have that I watched before I created my MAL that trigger my OCD :cry:
I think the date is only auto recorded if you record using the app. But not all is lost for me; luckily MAL keeps track of when you updated an entry, so what I'm doing now is going through my entire list and re-recording the start and end dates. Huzzah

@ komi-san can't communicate END: Nice, can't wait for S2 in April

@ Senpai Uzai END: Nice

@ Akebi serafuku ep01: Nice, it's got a bit of a retro feel to it. Yuwa's voice unmistakably HanaKana

What is everyone following this season?

Edit: and oh, Attack on Titan Final Season part two is happening tomorrow, big hype

Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB RAM, 240GB SSD
8A83919A-4091-41F5-9759-08729DE7AE76.jpeg351AAED4-B8FA-4C4C-81C7-A91F572E1D37.jpegB773ED74-752C-4271-85F2-9250B293F3B9.jpeg0AD7AA11-E026-4EB5-A441-7FE11D8417BD.jpegE1E2653E-3D67-4E08-BA44-4499CCD09108.jpeg
This one doesn’t have a GPU, classic

Even if it did, it would’ve been only a single slot card, judging from the single missing PCI slot cover

I wouldn’t be caught dead owning such a rig loool

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #177,435 of 177,744
I think the date is only auto recorded if you record using the app. But not all is lost for me; luckily MAL keeps track of when you updated an entry, so what I'm doing now is going through my entire list and re-recording the start and end dates. Huzzah

@ komi-san can't communicate END: Nice, can't wait for S2 in April

@ Senpai Uzai END: Nice

@ Akebi serafuku ep01: Nice, it's got a bit of a retro feel to it. Yuwa's voice unmistakably HanaKana

What is everyone following this season?

Edit: and oh, Attack on Titan Final Season part two is happening tomorrow, big hype

Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB RAM, 240GB SSD
8A83919A-4091-41F5-9759-08729DE7AE76.jpeg351AAED4-B8FA-4C4C-81C7-A91F572E1D37.jpegB773ED74-752C-4271-85F2-9250B293F3B9.jpeg0AD7AA11-E026-4EB5-A441-7FE11D8417BD.jpegE1E2653E-3D67-4E08-BA44-4499CCD09108.jpeg
This one doesn’t have a GPU, classic

Even if it did, it would’ve been only a single slot card, judging from the single missing PCI slot cover

I wouldn’t be caught dead owning such a rig loool

Those rigs gain 4 gens of CPU power from the case, don't forget the power of ANIME.

Here's how I use my MAL.

First, it's basically a permanently open tab in my browser, I've never relied on the apps. I watch everything on my TV via an HTPC and MPC-HC with MadVR upscaling.

At the top bar of my list there's the "Add to List" button, heavily used when a new season starts like right now. You can see where the "Today" buttons are for Start Date, thats where my start dates are recoreded, I navigate to my MAL tab after every episode I watch, which leads to.....

Capture2.JPG

...the below image. I use the + signs on my "Watching" section to update my episode counts. Sure I miss them sometimes but the next week I'll just add 2, I'm not OCD about what date I watched episode 5 of Ixion Saga. When you get to the last episode and hit the plus, the below box opens, if you set as completed it will auto-enter the complete date of the series. So that's what I meant about it not being all that much work getting it to record dates. The above screen I'd be in anyway to add a series and the below happens as I move to completion. The "work" is navigating to a chrome tab after every episode but that literally takes 10 seconds and also gives me a pause which can save me from late nights of binging :p

Capture.JPG

As for the new season so far I've only (lol) added Cue! (a show about a Seiyuu agency, think im@s with voice actors), Genjitsu Shugi Yuusha S2, Hakozume (a show about gremlin police women), Leadale no Daichi nite (female led Overlord it seems like), Shikkakumon no Saikyou Kenja (typical isekai power fantasy only this time the MC was isekaied into his own world with memories intact instead of from earth), Slow Loop (cute girls doing fishing things). All that and there's only about 40 premiers to go!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back