「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Apr 16, 2020 at 6:35 AM Post #176,838 of 177,744
Wow that looks surprisingly nice for a 3 year-old design
1355DE8F-A976-4490-9ED7-EC67AC1E386C.jpeg

Apr 16, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #176,839 of 177,744
I still find the iPhone 5s design to be my favorite (yes that's my daily driver phone but still).

Small, light, easy to reach, great industrial look, comfortable to hold firmly in all ways with the flat sides, fingers can press all buttons with little adjustments, regardless of left or right handedness, thicker than phones these days yet still feels better in hand. Headphone jack!!!!!

Still reasonably fast, especially the SE, and easy to repair.

Though it's held in by screws and clips instead of glue, so the water resistance that's so valued on phones today are not going to be a thing without a redesign.

I was one of the few people who wanted a small, boxy design. :frowning2:

The iPhone 8 still feels uncomfortable for me when I tried it recently, but I do need a new iOS device that's more reasonably up to date. Debating between this and something like a Pixel A phone, because headphone jack...

Apr 16, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #176,840 of 177,744
My favorite iPhone design was the 4/4s, but the 5 was very nice too.

I wish they'd move the lock button to the same side as volume on the iPhone. I'm constantly locking my phone when trying to take a picture (using the volume for the shutter) or silencing notifications/alarms. That wasn't an issue when lock was on the top.

Apr 16, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #176,841 of 177,744

I wish they'd move the lock button to the same side as volume on the iPhone. I'm constantly locking my phone when trying to take a picture (using the volume for the shutter) or silencing notifications/alarms. That wasn't an issue when lock was on the top.
Love the top lock button indeed.
Visually, the iPhone 4 generation looked stunning. I just don't like glass backs, especially with this one which was known to crack in the front and back...double the fun. :p I know a poor guy who got an iPhone 4 when it launched, and on his way to get a case, because he wasn't used to how slippery glass backed phones were, it slipped when he took it out of his pocket and he had to live with a crack on it forever.
-
Sigh
None of the chair dealers I've contacted gotten back at me yet. Hopefully at least one will eventually respond with a positive, or else I'm back to buying a new one full price. OM5 is considerably cheaper than Leap, but the OM5 does not seem to lock in place when leaning back.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #176,842 of 177,744
I still find the iPhone 5s design to be my favorite (yes that's my daily driver phone but still).

Small, light, easy to reach, great industrial look, comfortable to hold firmly in all ways with the flat sides, fingers can press all buttons with little adjustments, regardless of left or right handedness, thicker than phones these days yet still feels better in hand. Headphone jack!!!!!

Still reasonably fast, especially the SE, and easy to repair.

Though it's held in by screws and clips instead of glue, so the water resistance that's so valued on phones today are not going to be a thing without a redesign.

I was one of the few people who wanted a small, boxy design. :frowning2:

The iPhone 8 still feels uncomfortable for me when I tried it recently, but I do need a new iOS device that's more reasonably up to date. Debating between this and something like a Pixel A phone, because headphone jack...
There exists "squarish" replacement housings for rounded iPhones

1587053206702.png

I've raved about the 4/4s and its stainless steel frame many a time in this very thread

Apr 16, 2020 at 11:24 PM Post #176,845 of 177,744

I keep taking a screenshot when changing volume or just locking the phone, I have a lewd wallpaper too so going through the photo gallery trying to look for a reference photo can be very...exciting.

At it's lowest I think the old iPhone SE was 320 dollarydoos or so. (USD200)

In a couple of years I think it will be a very easy recommendation for a budget phone if the price approaches anywhere near that. Great thing about the old 6/7/8 design is that the replacement screens are like twenty or thirty dollars versus into the hundreds for the modern stuff.

Apr 17, 2020 at 12:43 AM Post #176,846 of 177,744
There's a lovely concept render of what the next iPhone could look like, based on the rumors that it'll resemble the iPad Pro, and if that's the case I'm 100% down with it.

https://twitter.com/BenGeskin/status/1197264221236580356

With their Mac line following that similar boxy design, I really do hope they return to that design language.

I keep taking a screenshot when changing volume or just locking the phone, I have a lewd wallpaper too so going through the photo gallery trying to look for a reference photo can be very...exciting.

In a couple of years I think it will be a very easy recommendation for a budget phone if the price approaches anywhere near that. Great thing about the old 6/7/8 design is that the replacement screens are like twenty or thirty dollars versus into the hundreds for the modern stuff.
Really sad the SE was discontinued. Didn't grab one in time so still rocking my 5s. The screens are indeed cheap (after shipping, screens for my S5 Neo are like 80 to 100 Canadian dollars).

The SE2 looks solid enough for me to recommend to people over the years too.

Hope the next iPhones do have that boxy design so in a few years, I finally have a mobile device to buy again from Apple aside from the iPod! Now if they go back to phone designs with a headphone jack...

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2020 at 3:03 AM Post #176,847 of 177,744

I snagged one for $449 then sold it for $400 when I started to miss 3D Touch. Went from 7 Plus->SE->7

About 60 Dollarydoos if you wanted a non-Chinese knockoff screen

With their Mac line following that similar boxy design, I really do hope they return to that design language.

Really sad the SE was discontinued. Didn't grab one in time so still rocking my 5s. The screens are indeed cheap (after shipping, screens for my S5 Neo are like 80 to 100 Canadian dollars).

The SE2 looks solid enough for me to recommend to people over the years too.

Hope the next iPhones do have that boxy design so in a few years, I finally have a mobile device to buy again from Apple aside from the iPod! Now if they go back to phone designs with a headphone jack...
There's always the custom housing option!

Oh boy, parts are here!

A2C2244D-36A1-4A20-BBBE-D59077FCD746.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2020 at 9:42 PM Post #176,850 of 177,744

Users who are viewing this thread

Back