「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Oct 26, 2018 at 8:37 PM Post #176,281 of 177,745
Firefox_Screenshot_2018-10-27T00-29-36.296Z.png

Oct 31, 2018 at 7:36 AM Post #176,282 of 177,745
Fired off the orders for the car audio goodies. Arrow is really competitive with pricing and they have no minimum for free shipping, but their website lags out for me very often. Mouser's website is so responsive in comparison. (but $60 minimum and their goods are usually higher priced too)

Decided to go with 10AWG wiring for the amp, won't be running more than say 100W...if that. (1W is already 85dB+ anyway for most car speakers)

Main power wiring: 10 AWG, Spec 55, dual walled ETFE insulation for....aerospace applications.
Fuse holder: Littelfuse in-line MIDI fuse holder, none of this no-name junk from the auto parts store.
RCA wiring: 24 AWG, M22759/18, 2 conductor + braided shield, aerospace certified, naturally.
RCA plugs: Amphenol ACPL series.
Electrical tape: 3M Scotch 88, high strength, high operating temperature, flame retardant.
Insulated crimp terminals: TE Connectivity PIDG series, UL listed and MIL spec if the correct crimp tool is used. (which I don't have since it is $700 =P)

Compared to picking up an "amp installation kit" here, I think it ends up being roughly the same cost per vehicle install but with a higher minimum order for the cables (have to order 100ft rolls).
Not looking forward to taking the car apart and seeing how the previous owners screwed with the factory wiring...

acpl-crd.jpg

I wonder why the product photographer didn't have the label right side up...that's the official photo on the Amphenol website.

I've been enjoying the new SAO, am I allowed to say that here? XD

Oct 31, 2018 at 8:32 AM Post #176,283 of 177,745
I am really enjoying Slime, Bunny Girl and Gridman so far.

New Index and SAO is kinda without suprise, no major quality drop or major changes.

Oct 31, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #176,284 of 177,745
I am really enjoying Slime, Bunny Girl and Gridman so far.

New Index and SAO is kinda without suprise, no major quality drop or major changes.
the fact that reading this post makes perfect sense to me at 42, is a moment of pride and shame at the same time. I'm having a real "you are HIV aladeen" instant.

Nov 1, 2018 at 7:38 PM Post #176,286 of 177,745
@vantt1

This took me nearly two hours... I bet you could do it in 20 minutes. =P

IMG_3455.jpg

A friend placed a dumbbell on his iPhone SE while at the gym, it completely destroyed the display (no image at all). A replacement part was around $25 on eBay, and a seller with 100% feedback only had white screens in stock so that's what I went for. It'll also serve as a permanent reminder not to drop things on his phone...

Apple still wants $200 for a screen replacement on the SE, you could get a used one on eBay for 200 nowadays. I might actually go that route since I sort of need a second cheap phone.

I might have to do a 6S plus soon...I hope there isn't too much adhesive holding parts in the phone, I hate how you have to transfer the shield + front camera + earpiece + home button into the new display assembly.

Nov 1, 2018 at 8:43 PM Post #176,287 of 177,745
Yeah, phone repairs are pricy, especially with Apple. :/

Having a backup phone is always nice. My friends joke that I do drug dealings because I often carry more than one phone. Hey, it's handy!

-------------

Removed the click bars on all the switches off this keypad last night. One of the two things that bothers me so much about these switches is the sound, both the click and the clack. Got rid of the click so I think I can bring it around without people hating me.

Second thing I hate about it is how it doesn't feel like a membrane keyboard. :p

Sadly o rings don't work with these. Might make my own dampening pads for these someday but it will be very time consuming.

45146230_1167663443392106_8636759304713535488_n.jpg

Nov 2, 2018 at 12:24 AM Post #176,288 of 177,745
@vantt1

This took me nearly two hours... I bet you could do it in 20 minutes. =P

A friend placed a dumbbell on his iPhone SE while at the gym, it completely destroyed the display (no image at all). A replacement part was around $25 on eBay, and a seller with 100% feedback only had white screens in stock so that's what I went for. It'll also serve as a permanent reminder not to drop things on his phone...

Apple still wants $200 for a screen replacement on the SE, you could get a used one on eBay for 200 nowadays. I might actually go that route since I sort of need a second cheap phone.

I might have to do a 6S plus soon...I hope there isn't too much adhesive holding parts in the phone, I hate how you have to transfer the shield + front camera + earpiece + home button into the new display assembly.
https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/9q2vnc/lpt_how_to_easily_tell_if_your_iphone_screen_is/

Apple's screens are better quality (and they calibrate it too, with a new Touch ID sensor and all), but not worth $200.

Hey, at least it's not a Samsung. You have to teardown the phone almost entirely to reach the screen.

Nov 2, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #176,289 of 177,745
Nov 2, 2018 at 6:59 PM Post #176,290 of 177,745
Yep. And thus, I still don't feel comfortable tearing apart my phone to attempt a fix for the USB port. :frowning2:
Is that the S5 Neo?

Nov 3, 2018 at 2:56 AM Post #176,291 of 177,745
Is that the S5 Neo?

Yep.

There's one video teardown I found after a quick search. That one ended up with the person cracking the screen as the person was showing how to open the phone. :p

Not a very popular phone, but it gets the job done, even without the usb port so never felt the need to fix it or get a new one. Having a second phone does come in handy though!

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2018 at 8:25 AM Post #176,293 of 177,745
Reading the buildapc or buildapcforme subreddits is really stressing me out.
For my own sanity, I'll just have to walk away, I can't save them all. XD

Friend needed a value build so I told him to get a prebuilt on eBay.
Ryzen 2600/8gb/580 8gb/120gb SSD/1tb HDD for 760 dollarydoos (USD550). Even with budgeting another hundo for a quality power supply upgrade, this is a prebuilt with a warranty so I can just sit and wait for a cracker of a deal over the next year on a PSU.

The CPU, RAM, GPU and HDD are worth $750, it's as if the rest was free. They must have razor thin margins.

Nov 5, 2018 at 11:58 PM Post #176,294 of 177,745
Reading the buildapc or buildapcforme subreddits is really stressing me out.
For my own sanity, I'll just have to walk away, I can't save them all. XD

Friend needed a value build so I told him to get a prebuilt on eBay.
Ryzen 2600/8gb/580 8gb/120gb SSD/1tb HDD for 760 dollarydoos (USD550). Even with budgeting another hundo for a quality power supply upgrade, this is a prebuilt with a warranty so I can just sit and wait for a cracker of a deal over the next year on a PSU.

The CPU, RAM, GPU and HDD are worth $750, it's as if the rest was free. They must have razor thin margins.

Yeah, that's pretty darn impressive how low the price is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back