「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Feb 27, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #1,741 of 177,750
No ED is as good as NEEDLESS's ED1.

(Though, Katanagatari's full ED9 is awesome.)

-- Griffinhart

Feb 27, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #1,742 of 177,750
Rinne no Lagrange, aka how Madoka become a pimp...

Feb 27, 2012 at 2:59 AM Post #1,744 of 177,750
Durarraararararaa was very good in my opinion. From the way it portrayed the city so accurately to the gripping story, it really worth a watch if you haven't already.

Feb 27, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #1,751 of 177,750

Quote:
Can you call commie a sub group? It just rips from crunchyroll...

Uh, what? You're thinking of HorribleSubs, bruce.

Quote:
Why do people care so much about the subbing group?
personally I don't give a **** who subs my anime as long as its done.... (I typed the 4 *'s myself)

Because some subbers don't know what the screw they're doing and do a bad translation, bad typesetting, bad encode, or just an overall bad job.

To put it another way -

Why do people care so much about the audio equipment?
personally I don't give a **** what plays my music as long as its done.... (I typed the 4 *'s myself)

-- Griffinhart

Feb 27, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #1,753 of 177,750
You wouldn't really see a lot of bad subs nowadays because there's been a marked increase in quality ever since the Internet, torrenting, and anime became a really huge thing (on the Internet, at least). You don't see s*** like even electronic brain crystal pancake elderly or mass naked child events (both of those phrases come from terrible, horrible GITS subs, in case you were wondering).

gg, Commie, UTW (Unlimited Translation Works), and Underwater are all examples of speed subbers - often they'll have a sub up within < 24 hours of the episode airing, depending on whether they're waiting for a raw to release, or if they have their own person in Japan/who gets Japanese broadcast TV to do a recording.

gg is well-known for doing really good translations when they're not just trolling the hell out of everyone (e.g., their release of episode 4 of Hidan no Aria). (gg is also responsible for the Morning Rescue meme, and its association with Puella Magi Madoka Magica - they included the Morning Rescue commercial in their PMMM releases. In fact, gg effing loves to include commercials with their releases. It's actually pretty funny - my college anime club and I are watching Bakemonogatari and Canaan right now, and we're using gg's subs for Canaan - which has commercials for Bakemonogatari.)

UTW is the only group I'd trust to translate any Fate/stay night- or TYPE-MOON-related stuff (the UBW film, Fate/Zero, Carnival Phantasm) (even though I have gg's subs of Kara no Kyoukai).

Then you have "quality" subber groups (at least, that's what I've always called 'em - I've also heard "late subber", dunno if there are any other terms) - they'll often take another group's scripts (CoalGirls uses a lot of gg's subs), do some editing, and then typeset to a higher-quality rip. Obviously they don't often get subs of a currently-airing show up fast - CoalGirls, for example, will sub 1080p Blu-Ray rips, which means you have to actually wait for said BRs to release in the first place.

ETA: Still, there exist some pretty bad subs - HorribleSubs, for example, just straight rips CrunchyRoll's subs (they have like, a blood-grudge against the site), and CrunchyRoll's subs are pretty bad. Ofc., if you don't understand even a smidgen of Japanese, it's not like it much matters. Still, some sub groups simply do things that some viewers don't like - leave out translating honorifics, or translating honorifics in every single use, or getting contexts incorrect, or translating a joke in a way that makes it make more sense to an English-speaker, or translating a joke in a way that it would only make sense to someone who already understands the joke in Japanese... (this is actually why I like gg - they'll often translate a pun in such a way that it works, even though oftentimes Japanese puns make no freakin' sense unless you get a paragraph of explanation to go along with it.

There's actually a good example of a Japanese joke being translated in a way to make sense to an English-speaking viewer - at the end of one episode of Nichibros Daily Lives of High School Boys, they end up playing shiritori, a Japanese word game that relies heavily on the fact that Japanese is a syllabic language - and yet Sage translates it pretty well. Now, if you don't understand/know the game at all, the translation helps you figure it out [basically, one person says a word, the next person has to say a word that starts with the same syllable that the first person ended with - Sage translated it so that instead of syllables, it was letters]; if you do know the game/understand the Japanese being used, the translations are done in such a way that it doesn't actively detract from the actual event at hand.)

ETA2: Sometimes, a bad sub can make for a hilarious joke, just according keikaku.

(Translator's note: keikaku means plan.)

ETA3: So****e tokiniha, hon'yaku wa sore mo ki ni shimasende****a hon'yaku-sha no yōna monodesunode, waruidesu.

ETA4: Once again, wordfilters take out して.

ETA5: I doubt any of you kids will remember it, but I like corm.

-- Griffinhart

Feb 27, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #1,755 of 177,750
Do a bit of googling and you'll find threads dedicated to posting the worst fansubs witnessed. Some of them can get quite hilarious. I distinctly remember a Yu-Gi-Oh screencap that, aside from the fact that the subbing was bad, had the worst font choice I'd ever seen. Typesetting like that deserves to be shot.

Ah, found it.

Also:

-- Griffinhart

Users who are viewing this thread

Back