「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Jun 21, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #173,793 of 177,744
Jun 21, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #173,794 of 177,744
optical stab:smiling_imp: is better at equivalent frame rates IMO because it can reduce the movement captured in the frames themselves. then later on nothing stops us from using a software to stabilize some more(with the right crop). I say that but I almost never make videos of anything, not even with my DSLR. nowadays I look at camera reviews to get a new one and they're all like "this camera clearly is the best, look at those videos". and I'm like, dude do you even picture? in French "camera" is for movies, but I wish the rest of the world wouldn't start to agree on that. ^_^

Jun 22, 2017 at 2:56 AM Post #173,795 of 177,744
We had an Ethereum flash crash today on one of the exchanges, the price went from ~$300 to $0.10 in the blink of an eye, then back up to $300. Many people got margin called which basically means their entire account got blown up because they were trading on "borrowed" money. Some people have lost anything from thousands to hundreds of thousands.

Never a boring day in the crypto trading world. XD

Retro_sneak_peek_-01.jpg

Hmmmm might be time to start saving..but it's not like I need a new laptop or anything...gahhhhh.

Jun 22, 2017 at 3:56 AM Post #173,796 of 177,744
Retro_sneak_peek_-01.jpg

Hmmmm might be time to start saving..but it's not like I need a new laptop or anything...gahhhhh.
First world problems: you want a new laptop, but you don't need one

Jun 22, 2017 at 6:33 AM Post #173,797 of 177,744

giphy.gif

(I don't know why linked pictures are so big, my apologies)

Yay SSD arrived, can't wait to install windows and check the power consumption. Before it would idle at 4.5W lowest (7W or so with my trading software on, or YouTube), a spinner takes what 0.6W or so? Random windows defender scans will chomp more, and I think the CPU stays powered up longer because the HDD is so slow. I've read everywhere on the internet that an SSD improves battery life, time to quantify that methinks.

Jun 22, 2017 at 7:54 AM Post #173,799 of 177,744
giphy.gif

(I don't know why linked pictures are so big, my apologies)

Yay SSD arrived, can't wait to install windows and check the power consumption. Before it would idle at 4.5W lowest (7W or so with my trading software on, or YouTube), a spinner takes what 0.6W or so? Random windows defender scans will chomp more, and I think the CPU stays powered up longer because the HDD is so slow. I've read everywhere on the internet that an SSD improves battery life, time to quantify that methinks.
Under sustained loads, an SSD definitely consumes less power than a HDD. But it really depends on the usage patterns.

...is this an ad?

45cb7c3f84254c6aea385e88ab44149887e56bbb86ba7f7ad62ace9a91a521ef.jpg

With the new 2017 iPad Pros utilizing the same camera as the iPhone 7, I'm fairly sure that makes them the first tablets to ever have OIS. Neat if true!

Jun 22, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #173,801 of 177,744
Meanwhile I could use one. It's vacation soon and I don't really have anything to watch movies during trips on. At least not something that wouldn't choke on files with higher res than 480p.

Wonder how cheap could I find something that doesn't suck.

Jun 22, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #173,802 of 177,744
Under sustained loads, an SSD definitely consumes less power than a HDD. But it really depends on the usage patterns.

Idle power went down from 4.5W to 3.1W, holy balls I wasn't expecting that. My Skylake Latitude 14 idles at like 2.8W, I'm surprised it's not thaaat far off from Haswell, and the new Macbooks manage 2W or less. With the lid closed it only draws 1.3W, so it costs 1.8W to run the iGPU and drive the display, that's probably where the later CPU generations have made progress.

General use with a 360p YouTube in the background puts me at 5W or so, that's 7 hours with this old hammered battery or 20 hours with the extended battery option. The primary battery for this laptop has been hit with 1360 cycles(26% wear), the secondary has 250 cycles(10% wear) which leaves me with a total of 38Wh left. I guess having a dual battery system is sorta useful for concentrating the wear on the external removable battery first, hotswapping is nice too.

I've decided not to use a custom charging threshold for this laptop, feels pretty good....no it kills me deep inside but I don't want to install the Lenovo spyware/bloatware to change it. X(

Jun 23, 2017 at 7:40 AM Post #173,803 of 177,744
Idle power went down from 4.5W to 3.1W, holy balls I wasn't expecting that. My Skylake Latitude 14 idles at like 2.8W, I'm surprised it's not thaaat far off from Haswell, and the new Macbooks manage 2W or less. With the lid closed it only draws 1.3W, so it costs 1.8W to run the iGPU and drive the display, that's probably where the later CPU generations have made progress.

General use with a 360p YouTube in the background puts me at 5W or so, that's 7 hours with this old hammered battery or 20 hours with the extended battery option. The primary battery for this laptop has been hit with 1360 cycles(26% wear), the secondary has 250 cycles(10% wear) which leaves me with a total of 38Wh left. I guess having a dual battery system is sorta useful for concentrating the wear on the external removable battery first, hotswapping is nice too.

I've decided not to use a custom charging threshold for this laptop, feels pretty good....no it kills me deep inside but I don't want to install the Lenovo spyware/bloatware to change it. X(
That reminds me of when I had the Sony Vaio Duo 11. It had an appalling 3 hours battery life on its own, so I got an extended battery pack thing for like $200 or something, which doubled the battery life totaling a whopping 6 hours!!!!. It made the computer very wedge-shaped, and made it more than an inch thick at its thickest, if I recall correctly. The only thing that it had going for it was being made in Japan.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #173,804 of 177,744
Ok, my front right speaker on my car died. Hopefully I am not falling in to the dark side and start car audio from this... Car is totally unsuitable for good audio from the factory at least.

Going for a pair of Focal PC130 to replace the faulty front pair.

Jun 23, 2017 at 11:15 PM Post #173,805 of 177,744

Same. Also want an iPad with an Apple Pencil, and 64 gb of RAM. And a GTX 1080ti. And a Ryzen R7 CPU. And a 1 TB 960 Evo. And a few more monitors. A better keyboard and mice will be nice too. All in an ultrabook.

-------------------

Had no access to the internet for 4 days. I'm finally back online!

Here's the first email Windows greets me with:

2.png

IT. IS. HERE.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back