「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
May 17, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #173,447 of 177,744
I can't even get used to reading game+iOS in the same post. but reading about compatibility restrictions because they want all the money, now that's the Apple I know.
Well to be fair Apple puts a lot more effort/manpower in regulating the app ecosystem to ensure a certain level of quality is met. Every single app is reviewed based on a set of technical, content, and design criteria - that costs money. For example, an app like this is completely pointless and wouldn't ever be allowed on the App Store. Basically anyone can publish an app straight onto the Play Store, and that can often result in a cesspool of crap crapps :confounded:. A good example are the typical "Battery Saver", "Charge Booster", "Clean Master" (ah, classic Cheetah Mobile) apps that claim to increase your battery capacity/charging speed or make it operate faster/clean up junk files, but in reality they are malvertising apps that draw over your lock screen to inject ads into your phone and stuff. Also the frequent cropping up of malware hiding in apps comes to mind.

Last edited:
May 18, 2017 at 12:48 AM Post #173,448 of 177,744
Unfortunately it's because the Apple iTunes Store takes a cut on all purchases made through it, leading to 10-30% higher prices, so it closes the loophole of buying on Android then moving it over to iOS.

But then you can still buy in Android, draw all the cards you want from the gatcha then transfer all the cards to iOS......
The magic stone prices in both platforms cost the same so I guess bandai is just earning less from iOS IAPs?

Well to be fair Apple puts a lot more effort/manpower in regulating the app ecosystem to ensure a certain level of quality is met. Every single app is reviewed based on a set of technical, content, and design criteria - that costs money. For example, an app like this is completely pointless and wouldn't ever be allowed on the App Store. Basically anyone can publish an app straight onto the Play Store, and that can often result in a cesspool of crap crapps :confounded:. A good example are the typical "Battery Saver", "Charge Booster", "Clean Master" (ah, classic Cheetah Mobile) apps that claim to increase your battery capacity/charging speed or make it operate faster/clean up junk files, but in reality they are malvertising apps that draw over your lock screen to inject ads into your phone and stuff. Also the frequent cropping up of malware hiding in apps comes to mind.

Security and app quality is just one of the things I really love about Apple as a user...... as a developer tho, it's your worse nightmare.
Every app must be digitally signed before they can even run on any iOS device and if you want to publish to the App Store, you gotta pay $99/mo to be an "Apple Developer" and go through the whole Apple QA pipeline.
But there's a loophole, your app self-update after getting on the App Store. As long as it doesn't show any malicious behavior during Apple's review period, you win.

Last edited:
May 18, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #173,449 of 177,744
Security and app quality is just one of the things I really love about Apple as a user...... as a developer tho, it's your worse nightmare.
Every app must be digitally signed before they can even run on any iOS device and if you want to publish to the App Store, you gotta pay $99/mo to be an "Apple Developer" and go through the whole Apple QA pipeline.
But there's a loophole, your app self-update after getting on the App Store. As long as it doesn't show any malicious behavior during Apple's review period, you win.
We can't have our cake and eat it too.

9b4.gif

Is that how it works? Because Uber didn't win. http://nymag.com/selectall/2017/04/how-uber-tracked-iphones-and-broke-apples-rules.html

May 18, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #173,450 of 177,744

Yep, that's how it works.... Apple will only look at your app from the system level after it's passed the review period.

If you call Apple's private system functions like the case with Uber, of course they're gonna know.... but if you do normally allowed stuff like send off the user's GPS / camera / microphone data every 5 mins, it's completely fine.

May 18, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #173,451 of 177,744
Hey the forums look a lot better than they did three weeks ago lol.

I seem to have left my phone at home somehow and that hasn't happened once in 5 years I've worked here..... was a hell of a streak to end..... now I'm bored and I can't get paid to browse the internet on my phone at work damn.

giphy.gif

May 18, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #173,453 of 177,744
Hey the forums look a lot better than they did three weeks ago lol.

I seem to have left my phone at home somehow and that hasn't happened once in 5 years I've worked here..... was a hell of a streak to end..... now I'm bored and I can't get paid to browse the internet on my phone at work damn.

Do you work in one of those high security places where your work computer has no access to the internet?

May 18, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #173,455 of 177,744
Do you work in one of those high security places where your work computer has no access to the internet?

Yes, kinda. We have internet because we need to reach outside vendors through the web, but our IT dept randomly add and remove sites from the block lists it seems. Head-Fi was blocked for about 6 months a few years back but then it wasn't anymore. No idea how they decide these things. They mostly block social media sites like facebook and twitter and stuff but I don't need them daily luckily.

@AxelCloris any idea if this will be fixed? It's pretty minor but bothers the heck outta me.....

Yeah that's pretty annoying lol, I'm seeing that on my end too.

May 18, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #173,456 of 177,744
this is typical of the stuff I do not care about. the only eye candy that pissed me off was the bright background but it's something that was easy to change on my end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back