「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Dec 17, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #170,597 of 177,745
  Just watch it.
Summary and genre won't tell you anything about it.
I would say it is sort of like Space Dandy. It is pretty episodic (but also not) and it feels like every episode has a different director. The art is fantastic and so diverse and the animations are pure sakuga.
Lots of interesting things going on that one could overanalyze for hours and hours (the episode discussions on /r/anime are crazy...).
My favorite show of this season for sure.

You were right. I'm on Episode 5 of Flip Flappers and liking it. So smooth, creamy and just nice to watch. I wouldn't say pure sakuga in terms of animation quality. It's fairly average with some meh frames and LQ moments

Definately a good show and something I'm looking forward to finishing.

tl;dr it’s tyg's wet dream.

SAVAGE!

Hm....watched Your Name today. It doesn't quite live up to the hype as I was expecting honestly. It was good, but not thaaaaat good. 8/10 for me. To me it seemed like a mashup of When Marnie Was There and 5 Centimeters Per Second: as in
boy likes girl but can't remember why and some funky telepathic communication thing.

Gigguk's newest video on the Perfect Anime talks about Kimi no Nawa a lot and I agree with him on this.

I agree that it wasn't a perfect anime and in my objective book may have been a 8.5/10 but personally. I loved the hell outta it and would rate it emotionally as a 10

just watch for the scenery~

and sliding doors lol

the story line itself doesn't really make sense especially if you've watched other anime that messes with time (like steins;gate), most of it is just pure magic.

but I don't really mind a bit of magic for these types of feels show, it was still quite enjoyable for me.

and other works by shinkai makoto also kinda fudge the technical stuff with magic (like hoshi no koe) so I kinda had that expectation.

also saliva sake is a thing..... learn something new everyday :|

Your Name is a movie dealing more in the feeling zone than on technicality so I kinda forgive those moments
  Am I like the only person who haven't watched Kimi no Na Wa yet?
beyersmile.png

Maybe I should watch... soon

And off topic a little

Last week that was a doujin and cosplay convention which I was supposed to help out my booth but ended up taking photos the whole two days
beyersmile.png

Was shooting with a 17-50 f2.8 and a 50-200 f4-5.6, and was like thinking that having a 70-200 f2.8 would be better

Saw a really good deal on the Sigma 70-200 f2.8, so I bought one

I think you may be haha. Go see it in theatres! I'm pretty sure its already showing in Signaporean cinemas. Soooo lucky. I got the world premiere....but have been dry from seeing it in its glory agains ince that day

Since we're talking about it:

Watched Kimi No Na Wa / Your Name recently as well, definitely a film where you have to ignore plot holes and just logic in general in order to enjoy it. It's nice if you're just sitting back and admiring the art and music (Opinions on the RADWIMPS soundtrack anyone?). I also realised that it's a movie that non-frequent anime-watchers enjoy more and rave about (ala western movie review sites) while anime fans can name 5 'better' anime at the top of their head.

6/10, 'could' watch again. 

I liked Kataware Doki

and other OST songs more than the main Zen zen from RADWIMPS.

Question, say if you guys buy a used headphone. The headphone comes in the mail, open the box and it smells like you got falco punched in the nose with a bunch of cigarettes: do you mention that in the public feedback or private feedback of the user?

I would PM them. Falco Punch is not acceptable lol
Hey guys, need a bit of help regarding laptops, as I haven't been following them at all.

Need a new laptop for work as my old one is malfunctioning and will probably die soon. The main things I'm looking for are colour accuracy and no eye fatigue first. My eyes are very weak and need to take frequent breaks, even from just reading on paper. Screens that flicker are a big no no for me as I will get headaches and blurry vision at the end of the day, and I need serious rest in order to recover. I also work on things that require colours to be somewhat accurate. I'm mainly looking for something that covers above 95% sRGB. I can calibrate my screen if needed.

Aside from that, I'll be playing games and trolling people on Head-Fi. Maybe some video editing for fun. Maybe I'll consider adding on some more mods to my 300+ list of mods for Skyrim. My budget is 1000 to 1100 dollars USD. Looking for an i5 or above, 1TB of storage, 8+ gigs of ram (self upgrade is fine), and a GTX 960m.

Any recommendations?
tongue.gif

On something related to audio... Planning to build an O2. Some people mentioned that the volume pot has a bit of channel imbalance at low levels. Anybody have recommendations on what to replace it with? If I sound like an idiot, I probably am, as I've never soldered anything before.
frown.gif

...halp a noob please!

Last Christmas I got my parents the AD700X from Audio Technica.

...checking at their house, it seems they never used it... ;o;

I feel like stealing it from them since it's probably a waste, and I love their sound with an amp I have. However, it is still their headphone...I wish I can get another pair so both my parents can use headphones at the same time... But I don't know now. :/ Wat to get them this year... Questions questions questions...

Throw the XPS 15 out the window then and also the MSI GS63VR. I've bought both of them and would recommend for the purposes I bought them for but not yours lol. XPS 15 has PWM issues, average to below average response time, and mediocre color. GS63VR around the same with its own issues....primarily the 3HR battery life. 

I got the XPS 15 with the i7 6700HQ and 960M for $960 refurbished and it came basically new. The new GS63VR has the GTX 1060 (M) and is nice but again...3HR battery lol

Advice on Dell Outlet would be, once you found the MODEL AND SPECS of a laptop (or a few) that you like, to check their online inventory BUT then call. Their online website is 1-2 days out of synch sometimes. The person on the phone basically told me that if you want to secure the juicy deals and best inventory, then you have to check by calling. The first time you call and check, just rmemeber the buttons you pressed to get to the actual person so it makes the subsequent calls less time consuming. 

We're in a bit of a no mans land at the moment because I expect Pascal refreshes soon on mainstreamy laptops. CES is a few weeks away so if you can wait, do it. (Jan 5th ish)

Love em or hate em, Dell are extremely good value if you purchase from the Dell Outlet, look up on it if you're okay with a refurbished machine, they sometimes have 'as new' options. Here in AU they have a 14 day return policy and I'd imagine it's similar there.
The XPS 15 4K has no PWM at all brightness levels, and FHD model has no PWM above 20% or so. Both options do 98%+ sRBG and the 4k option does 90% AdobeRGB.
Do note that the versions with the 2.5" HDD have the smaller 3 cell 56WHr battery.

Without coupons I think it can just squeeze into your budget for a 4k model ($1059), but I heard you can easily save 20% off or something with coupons but there don't seem to be any at the moment, chat with them and they might take a few percent off too. Bloody hell we can't even get a base model XPS 13 here for that price.

Go wake panda for advice, he's used the Dell Outlet before I'm sure. @bowei006

For the O2 pot, most pots have imbalance at very low settings so there's not much you can do, just build the thing with 2X gain and I think you will be okay. Ya can always just crank it up a little and just lower the volume upstream.

Yeah. I got my laptop from Dell Outlet. Dell actually did a mistake and sent me two so I sold the other one and basically got a full spec'd XPS 15 for free :D

The XPS 15 has the annoying PWM issue yeah...and mediocre to substandard response time for gaming and meh colors too.

2D>3D...?

http://gatebox.ai

I saw this and it made me sad but also wanted one.

I currently live with roomates at College (who I like and were friends with before moving in) but will be moving out and living by myself after graduation.

This hit my FEELS right in the spot. It kinda hurts that while I inittally went into this video with condenscending attitude towards those that would buy this, I exited the video at the end kinda wanting one.

Dec 18, 2016 at 2:07 AM Post #170,598 of 177,745
I actually bought this last year, during Steam's Christmas sale.

No, wait, it was purchased during end of last November, after the large sale due to being named Game of the Year or something.

...this is just sad...

Let's change that! \(^0^)/ ~ ❤

Dec 18, 2016 at 2:27 AM Post #170,599 of 177,745
I actually bought this last year, during Steam's Christmas sale.

No, wait, it was purchased during end of last November, after the large sale due to being named Game of the Year or something.

...this is just sad...

Let's change that! \(^0^)/ ~ ❤
Plaaaay it!

Its such a good game.

Dec 18, 2016 at 2:42 AM Post #170,600 of 177,745
  This hit my FEELS right in the spot. It kinda hurts that while I inittally went into this video with condenscending attitude towards those that would buy this, I exited the video at the end kinda wanting one.

IKR? reminded me of that empty feeling of returning home late after work and it's just you in the darkness....

Dec 18, 2016 at 2:50 AM Post #170,602 of 177,745
  IKR? reminded me of that empty feeling of returning home late after work and it's just you in the darkness....

...yep. I know that feel.

And after you close the door behind you......the lights are dim and you just feel....lonely. You just want to be 'around' people and have people there...but nope. It's just you.

Dec 18, 2016 at 2:54 AM Post #170,603 of 177,745
Plaaaay it!

Its such a good game.

Well, at least I spoiled all the joy by modding the soundtrack into Skyrim so I'm already sick of the music to a certain degree...

Another sad thing: one year ago, I built my first PC. Spent 2500 CAD on it.

Then I moved out and kept the PC at my parents' place for multiple personal reasons that still stand valid. One year later, I barely used it. ;o;

My parents use it to register some stuff for their jobs.  That's it. ;o;

I probably should have just gotten a laptop instead... :'(

Dec 18, 2016 at 2:57 AM Post #170,604 of 177,745

Well, at least I spoiled all the joy by modding the soundtrack into Skyrim so I'm already sick of the music to a certain degree...

Another sad thing: one year ago, I built my first PC. Spent 2500 CAD on it.

Then I moved out and kept the PC at my parents' place for multiple personal reasons that still stand valid. One year later, I barely used it. ;o;

My parents use it to register some stuff for their jobs.  That's it. ;o;

I probably should have just gotten a laptop instead... :'(

yeah..that would be a smart move.

One of my team project groups just got a MSI GS63VR that I selected and it has nice specs. That would have been a nice choice for portable laptop

Dec 18, 2016 at 4:20 AM Post #170,606 of 177,745
@Occultic;Nine

I have to confess... I'm completely lost.

Scandium? Wardenclyffe? Odd Eye?
My comprehension of foreign terms spoken in Japanese only goes so far with raw releases.....

Can someone following the subs help me out with how the "ghost" mechanic is suppose to work?

Dec 18, 2016 at 4:35 AM Post #170,607 of 177,745
Gigguk's newest video on the Perfect Anime talks about Kimi no Nawa a lot and I agree with him on this.

I agree that it wasn't a perfect anime and in my objective book may have been a 8.5/10 but personally. I loved the hell outta it and would rate it emotionally as a 10

Interesting points, and I'd agree on that. I couldn't connect to the rather surreal events in Your Name (which left me more like "wat...." rather than being emotionally connected to the characters since it seemed so fake to me), unlike Garden of Words or 5 Centimeters Per Second, which I gave 10s to both, or even Clannad as a 9.

Dec 18, 2016 at 4:39 AM Post #170,608 of 177,745
Interesting points, and I'd agree on that. I couldn't connect to the rather surreal events in Your Name (which left me more like "wat...." rather than being emotionally connected to the characters since it seemed so fake to me), unlike Garden of Words or 5 Centimeters Per Second, which I gave 10s to both, or even Clannad as a 9.

Completely agree with this. While I really enjoyed Kimi no Na wa it didn't really hit me like Garden of Words or Anohana did. But that was a long time ago and maybe I'm just getting dull.

Dec 18, 2016 at 6:03 AM Post #170,609 of 177,745
  @Occultic;Nine

I have to confess... I'm completely lost.

Scandium? Wardenclyffe? Odd Eye?
My comprehension of foreign terms spoken in Japanese only goes so far with raw releases.....

Can someone following the subs help me out with how the "ghost" mechanic is suppose to work?

Give up.
It's just a bunch of nonsense. Someone tried to slap as many weird terms in this story as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back