「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Dec 8, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #170,386 of 177,750
  http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=FIGURE-026642

hey guyz b'day coming up kthx.

It's from Alter so quality must be good. 
biggrin.gif

Could always go with Seagate then I guess. Probably a lot cheaper than HGST per drive if it's like the US market...

Anybody have suggestions for what to get at Comiket 91 this year? Eve and I are going but tbh I have no idea what to get lol

The Visual Art's booth maybe?
I'VE release two CDs at their booth this year
One TBA and another one is "I've X Key Collaboration Album"

Leaf/Aquaplus have there white album 2 OST re-release in box set

August booth have their "2016 August Live" Blu-ray, but I will get my copy on their e-shop later. 
redface.gif

Dec 8, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #170,387 of 177,750
It doesn't really matter how much you try to build redundant arrays your best option is to always use a full backup service. Redundancy just helps you keep your files intact locally so you can use them in the meanwhile after one hdd failure but a remote backup (like to a backup-specializing company) is generally the better option (generally once one drive has failed you're likely to replace all the drives of the same model or at least the ones you bought in the same batch). Once you start hear clicking it'll probably be too late to try to manually copy all of the files off of it.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas-features/31745-data-recovery-tales-raid-is-not-backup

It's the laziest solution but it's probably the most effective. Unless you really want that data to stay out of the hands of people who do backups or anywhere on the internet (even though the machine is connected to the internet even if it's LAN storage) or are a file storage/backup holder yourself you really shouldn't have to think about it. Most of us are better off spending the money every year on a backup service instead of having to spend a ton of extra cash, time, and obtaining the needed knowledge with setting up our own servers/redundant storage and worrying about having to maintain it. For some people it's a hobby, more the rest of us it's a nuisance.

Although don't take this as a reason to RAID 0 everything so long as you have backups. I'm not sure how backup programs are right now (if they do snapshots every set amount of time or if they sync individual file changes now like cloud storage software like in Box or Dropbox) so make sure you check up on the backup/update method.

**Not saying RAID is useless. Using it in a NAS or desktop does give you performance benefits (honestly we really only care about the benefits in performance it gives to HDDs. SSDs, unless you need that much speed, won't make much of a difference) as long as it isn't RAID 1. RAID 0 and no RAID at all are the most space efficient and all of the other ones are less space efficient. I'd actually advocate for RAID 0 if we're talking about hard drive lifespan because it's essentially wear-leveling like how the NAND chips in SSDs are treated (you can think of all of the NAND chips on that board in a big RAID 0 array but with really low failure because it's solid state). RAID 1 is kind of silly because if you're using the same drive from the same batch (most likely if you planned on doing a RAID 1 array prior to purchase you went for 2 of the same drive on the same order) you're basically just killing 2 drives at the same rate at the same time (which have the same lifespan).

Dec 8, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #170,388 of 177,750
  It doesn't really matter how much you try to build redundant arrays your best option is to always use a full backup service. Redundancy just helps you keep your files intact locally so you can use them in the meanwhile after one hdd failure but a remote backup (like to a backup-specializing company) is generally the better option (generally once one drive has failed you're likely to replace all the drives of the same model or at least the ones you bought in the same batch). Once you start hear clicking it'll probably be too late to try to manually copy all of the files off of it.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas-features/31745-data-recovery-tales-raid-is-not-backup

It's the laziest solution but it's probably the most effective. Unless you really want that data to stay out of the hands of people who do backups or anywhere on the internet (even though the machine is connected to the internet even if it's LAN storage) or are a file storage/backup holder yourself you really shouldn't have to think about it. Most of us are better off spending the money every year on a backup service instead of having to spend a ton of extra cash, time, and obtaining the needed knowledge with setting up our own servers/redundant storage and worrying about having to maintain it. For some people it's a hobby, more the rest of us it's a nuisance.

Although don't take this as a reason to RAID 0 everything so long as you have backups. I'm not sure how backup programs are right now (if they do snapshots every set amount of time or if they sync individual file changes now like cloud storage software like in Box or Dropbox) so make sure you check up on the backup/update method.

**Not saying RAID is useless. Using it in a NAS or desktop does give you performance benefits (honestly we really only care about the benefits in performance it gives to HDDs. SSDs, unless you need that much speed, won't make much of a difference) as long as it isn't RAID 1. RAID 0 and no RAID at all are the most space efficient and all of the other ones are less space efficient.

yup, most people are probably better off without having to deal with RAID.

in general:
RAID: protect against drive failure
Backup: protect against host failure
Offsite Backup: protect against datacenter failure

with 3rd party backup solutions your biggest concern is probably how much you trust the client backup agent since you essentially have a black box running on your computer that has access to all your files and the internet. If that agent had malicious intent or got hijacked somehow, it could easily screw you over. For this reason I don't use Dropbox and set up my own remote backup solution based on well known open-source tech. (and it's a hobby of mine
tongue.gif
)

Dec 8, 2016 at 7:10 PM Post #170,390 of 177,750
Dec 8, 2016 at 7:20 PM Post #170,391 of 177,750

Best anime I have seen for many years...

You must've not seen a lot of anime xddddddddddddd

In all seriousness I'm really intrigued on how this will turn out, has been a hit or a miss depending on the episodes so far.

Dec 8, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #170,393 of 177,750

**Not saying RAID is useless. Using it in a NAS or desktop does give you performance benefits (honestly we really only care about the benefits in performance it gives to HDDs. SSDs, unless you need that much speed, won't make much of a difference) as long as it isn't RAID 1. RAID 0 and no RAID at all are the most space efficient and all of the other ones are less space efficient. I'd actually advocate for RAID 0 if we're talking about hard drive lifespan because it's essentially wear-leveling like how the NAND chips in SSDs are treated (you can think of all of the NAND chips on that board in a big RAID 0 array but with really low failure because it's solid state). RAID 1 is kind of silly because if you're using the same drive from the same batch (most likely if you planned on doing a RAID 1 array prior to purchase you went for 2 of the same drive on the same order) you're basically just killing 2 drives at the same rate at the same time (which have the same lifespan).

I am actually more like planning a backup server/NAS running in RAID 1, ideally with 2 4TB drives in RAID 1 but we shall see

Money is not on my side :frowning2:

Dec 9, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #170,395 of 177,750
Everyone in this thread needs to make a selfie with their waifu!
https://www.moon-audio.com/chord-mojo-mania/chord-mojo-contest.html

filler picture

definitely NSFW
Thanks, Ikea.
http://ikearetailtherapy.com/se/sv/catalog/products/art/S49011766

http://ikearetailtherapy.com/se/sv/catalog/products/90310258

LOL this site is dayum hilarious XD

Dec 9, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #170,398 of 177,750
I am actually more like planning a backup server/NAS running in RAID 1, ideally with 2 4TB drives in RAID 1 but we shall see

Money is not on my side
frown.gif

I have 4 Seagate NAS 4TB drives in RAID1 I bought in 2013. All has been well, they definitely run a lot cooler than the 7200 RPM drives do and I still get pretty good transfer speeds to them.

WEW

WE EoE now boiz.

I wasn't surprised by much in this episode reveal-wise. I had figured out the truth as the story progressed. It was still a pretty great episode though.

Didn't see g-ma being a robot coming.... I always knew she was too creepy to be a good guy.

Hey guys!

Hi Tilps! Long time no see.

Dec 9, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #170,399 of 177,750
Laptop keyboard is dying on me. :frowning2:

First, pressing certain keys type two different characters, like "q1” when I just type “q”

Then the "G" and "H" keys, ESC keys stopped working. Now the keys in the number row are not working except for 5 and 6, done other keys are remapped, and the ESC key and the"q" key both type"q," the "G" key and"r" key both type "r", and both "h" and U" both type"u."

Gonna need to buy w new keyboard to replace the old one. Tearing apart the laptop and cleaning the mess accumulated inside over the years was quite something. :xf_eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back