「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Dec 6, 2016 at 1:51 AM Post #170,341 of 177,750

I'm listening to those kpop links you posted a few pages ago, thanks! :) I heard one of those songs the other day in Korea town and I was trying to identify the song but couldn't get it fast enough :C

Derp, why though? :S

Agreed that most people don't upgrade, but a lot of people like to have the option to do so. And Idk if it's changed recently but a few friend's laptops with DDR3 have gotten RAM errors and either started BSODing randomly or freezing up, so I'm still kind of skeptical that RAM doesn't fail more often or rather sooner than the useful lifespan of the laptop itself...

Yes...let the Kpop flow through you...

I couldn't pass up the deal!

Have you/they tried MemTest86?

I'll need more it to truly flow through my brain! 

Even though you could get a similarly spec'd Windows machine for less with more ports?

That's actually how I figured out they were RAM errors. Pulled out one stick, ran the test again and if it passed, I knew the stick in my hand was at fault. :p
That's why I'm afraid for when the RAM in Vaio finally craps out, cuz I won't be able to replace it, and sending the damn thing back to Japan probably won't be worth it by then. 

That dumb-looking side-mouth tho.

I don't know why but that looks completely normal to my brain.

Same here :/

I've been typing a bit more English than usual at work lately so I tried forcing myself to type using the correct way (i.e. fingers on the home row, use all 10 fingers).
I can immediately see how this can be really fast if I got used it it, for the record my typing speed for english was 23 WPM the last time I checked.

I've kinda developed my own hand placement over the years with both my thumbs on the modifier keys, left pinky on the Esc and right pinky on the Backspace.
This placement is pretty fast for triggering a series of shortcuts and typing symbols in programming but horribly slow for plain English...
I might actually invest some time to learn to type properly lol.

Man, this is HARD! Especially when reaching for the shift, esc and backspace keys...

Fair enough, I remember spending months learning to type back in school when we had a class on how to do it... As long as the solution you have works for you, who cares though? For me, I never used the right shift key, and keep my left pinky on the shift key and then end up using another finger to type an 'a' most of the time. 

Damn, 83WPM on my Vaio keyboard. I know I can do at least 10 more when I get use Cherry MX blues... 
biggrin.gif

Your Name was so nice! Loved it, cried few times. Can't wait till the blurays are out.

Right?? Just watched it a second time last night and it was amazing. Hopefully since Funi licensed it, they'll release it soon and it won't be too overpriced...

Dec 6, 2016 at 2:07 AM Post #170,342 of 177,750
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hypershop/hyperdrivetm-compact-thunderbolt-3-usb-c-hub-for-m

looks pretty nice... I like how it serves as a docking station

I like how Apple can now just out-source the connectivity bit in their products and they get paid for it LOL

Hmm...not a novel concept since the same-looking dongles [with pretty much the same port layout too] were created for last year's "new" MacBook.
http://www.juicedsystems.com/USB-C-Macbook-12-5-in-1-Adapter-v2-_p_16.html

http://www.satechi.net/index.php/computer/type-c-usb-hub-gold

Dec 6, 2016 at 4:29 AM Post #170,344 of 177,750

Originally Posted by vantt1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Even though you could get a similarly spec'd Windows machine for less with more ports?

That's actually how I figured out they were RAM errors. Pulled out one stick, ran the test again and if it passed, I knew the stick in my hand was at fault. :p
That's why I'm afraid for when the RAM in Vaio finally craps out, cuz I won't be able to replace it, and sending the damn thing back to Japan probably won't be worth it by then. 

^You can even hear the sound of the dampers in this one!

I stopped caring about specs long ago.

I always thought RAM wasn't that prone to failure...

Dec 6, 2016 at 4:56 AM Post #170,345 of 177,750

I'm curious to see the numbers of failures comparing soldered on RAM vs sticks. I'd imagine sticks having a higher failure rate due to manhandling and such but who knows. (I do take ESD precautions when building for other people, but not my own =P)

Hmmmm i wonder what are the failure rates for laptops...2-5% per year maybe?

Dec 6, 2016 at 5:45 AM Post #170,346 of 177,750

^You can even hear the sound of the dampers in this one!

Haha cheers! And fair enough, I'll concede nowadays design is more important than specs anyway...

I dunno. That's what I've seen from my very limited experience, I believe you probably have more experience repairing electronics than any of us so I'll take your word for it over mine. :p

I'm curious to see the numbers of failures comparing soldered on RAM vs sticks. I'd imagine sticks having a higher failure rate due to manhandling and such but who knows. (I do take ESD precautions when building for other people, but not my own =P)

Hmmmm i wonder what are the failure rates for laptops...2-5% per year maybe?

Maybe the slots add some wear/damage to the RAM sticks even if they're never touched by the end user because they'll be carrying their laptop and bashing it up against things once in a while?

Probably depends on the brand and user behind the machine I think. Also price point probably plays a factor. 

Dec 6, 2016 at 8:01 AM Post #170,347 of 177,750
Are you going to buy Nero's player?

They look nice but I don't have a huge emotional attachment to the Fate series to warrant a purchase, but I'm gonna admit that I would buy them if I had lots of disposable income.
I need this, and probably the ak k-on dap.

So when and which are you buying?

Dec 6, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #170,348 of 177,750

I dunno. That's what I've seen from my very limited experience, I believe you probably have more experience repairing electronics than any of us so I'll take your word for it over mine. :p

I pretty much exclusively work on devices that have an SoC, and to add to that I've never had RAM fail on me, so my perception may be skewed a bit.

Dec 6, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #170,349 of 177,750

For a mobile device (not a portable workstation type laptop though) a well thought out design (looks good, can take a beating, ergonomic), great battery life and a nice daylight usable screen trump specs. So long as it is "fast enough" that general computing isn't a chore (looking at you Atom, Celeron, low end AMD APUs) the difference between such devices in real world, general usage scenarios is minimal.

Specs only really matter when you actually need them, eg, 4K gaming, HD/4K video editing, large photoshop files, 3D render node, FEA simulations, etc. Situations where the extra power from better specs lets you get your work (or play) done more easily, with less downtime in between.

Dec 6, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #170,350 of 177,750

For a mobile device (not a portable workstation type laptop though) a well thought out design (looks good, can take a beating, ergonomic), great battery life and a nice daylight usable screen trump specs. So long as it is "fast enough" that general computing isn't a chore (looking at you Atom, Celeron, low end AMD APUs) the difference between such devices in real world, general usage scenarios is minimal.

Specs only really matter when you actually need them, eg, 4K gaming, HD/4K video editing, large photoshop files, 3D render node, FEA simulations, etc. Situations where the extra power from better specs lets you get your work (or play) done more easily, with less downtime in between.

Exactly. Computers and mobile devices these days are good enough that specs are not a differentiating factor anymore, especially for typical day-to-day usage. What matters is how well the hardware is utilized.

I haven't upgraded my desktop's CPU and RAM since 2012 and they're still perfectly usable now. The only "real" upgrades I've performed were the GPU because I "needed" it to drive two more monitors, and the SSD (but only capacity-wise, not speed).

Dec 7, 2016 at 12:22 AM Post #170,351 of 177,750
Wow, the Type-C ports in the Touch Bar MacBook Pros are fully modular and not soldered onto the mobo!

Dec 7, 2016 at 2:42 AM Post #170,355 of 177,750

Users who are viewing this thread

Back