「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Nov 5, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #169,666 of 177,750
what's the consensus on LG V20 nowadays?

Just like the HTC 10 and Google Pixel: It's a solid phone but there's really nothing spectacular about it.

I personally don't understand why some people view removable batteries as a must. I think it's better to carry around a rechargeable external battery pack than an unprotected battery, especially since you probably won't be able to charge that battery outside of the phone. This isn't a camera which has some battery charger for the removable battery.

Also just makes for another part of the phone to fall off if you happen to drop it (remember the Galaxy S5 and older days).

Nov 5, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #169,667 of 177,750
Just like the HTC 10 and Google Pixel: It's a solid phone but there's really nothing spectacular about it.

I personally don't understand why some people view removable batteries as a must. I think it's better to carry around a rechargeable external battery pack than an unprotected battery, especially since you probably won't be able to charge that battery outside of the phone. This isn't a camera which has some battery charger for the removable battery.

Also just makes for another part of the phone to fall off if you happen to drop it (remember the Galaxy S5 and older days).

So for 649.99€ and nothing spectacular, the V20 falls into the poor value category?

Not really a must and of course I don't carry batts around. Just if batt life eventually worsens a lot in maybe 2 years, I can just replace it. Maybe?

USB C is a must though.

Nov 5, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #169,669 of 177,750

I disagree. I could think a few uses where a removable battery is the better choice, especially in portability. I'm not sure for the V20, but the last G4 that my sister had provided a free battery, a charger for that extra battery and also a case to carry that battery around. All in a smaller footprint. And with using a removable battery, you don't have to worry about a cable (although it's equally annoying you'd have to shutdown the device to swap the battery, but I digress).

Also, with removable battery = removable back (minus the G5) = "safer"phone after a drop. Plus, if that breaks or anything, just swap with a new one. Permanent battery with a permanent back after a drop will have permanent scratch or damage. Not much of a problem if you have a case on, but quite a lot people don't put any case on. Go figure.

Oh and lastly, when a battery starts to bulge (after a year or two though), just swap it out. No need to send for repairs with exorbitant pricing and long waiting times.

edit : https://www.amazon.com/LG-Battery-Charging-BCK-5200-Charger/dp/B01M5C23SV
Here's the V20's battery kit. Pretty pricey though. Hoping that LG does their usually "free battery kit with every purchase of LG phone".

Nov 5, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #169,670 of 177,750

I disagree. I could think a few uses where a removable battery is the better choice, especially in portability. I'm not sure for the V20, but the last G4 that my sister had provided a free battery, a charger for that extra battery and also a case to carry that battery around. All in a smaller footprint. And with using a removable battery, you don't have to worry about a cable (although it's equally annoying you'd have to shutdown the device to swap the battery, but I digress).

Also, with removable battery = removable back (minus the G5) = "safer"phone after a drop. Plus, if that breaks or anything, just swap with a new one. Permanent battery with a permanent back after a drop will have permanent scratch or damage. Not much of a problem if you have a case on, but quite a lot people don't put any case on. Go figure.

Oh and lastly, when a battery starts to bulge (after a year or two though), just swap it out. No need to send for repairs with exorbitant pricing and long waiting times.

edit : https://www.amazon.com/LG-Battery-Charging-BCK-5200-Charger/dp/B01M5C23SV
Here's the V20's battery kit. Pretty pricey though. Hoping that LG does their usually "free battery kit with every purchase of LG phone".

$70 seems fair, batteries have never been exactly cheap.

Nov 5, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #169,671 of 177,750
Go to headphone meets and mingle with the common herd?! I think not. I belong among the heavens, yet you would have me trod upon the ground?!

If there is one thing I have learned in life, it is that I am the destined lord of all headphones. Every diaphragm shall bow.

The Holy Headphone should already be mine. All of this world’s headphones, without exception, trace their origin back to my treasure house.

Do not consider me as you would some lesser being. The amount of headphones in my treasury long ago surpassed even my own knowledge. But that it is a headphone also means that it belongs to me. And any who would take it for themselves is naught but a thief.

tongue_smile.gif

(Sooo many Gilgamesh references. Sorry, I'm having fun with this.)

Nov 5, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #169,672 of 177,750

what's the consensus on LG V20 nowadays?

I think it's nice to have one so once your battery goes to ***** you can replace it yourself instead of having it sent in. It would save me a whole lot of trouble with this stupid Nexus 6P for example...

Eyy he's back!~

If there's one thing about LG's products and accessories that's for sure though, it's that they'll drop in price quickly though. I remember like 8 months after the G Flex 2 came out it could be had for $200 when it originally retailed for like, what, $650? so IMO just wait to get the V20 until the price drops. I think the V10 is already about $200 after a year or so?

Nov 5, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #169,675 of 177,750
  Wow, it boggles my mind how... actually I'll just leave this here.

http://www.naturalnews.com/036112_sociopaths_cults_influence.html

Welp.... I guess I'm a sociopath then.

I don't usually show most of this stuff because I actively try to act like a normal member of society but 8/9 of the points applies to me. (#1 I can't judge myself)

and TBH, if their 4% population statistic is correct, then I'm not that surprised...

Nov 5, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #169,676 of 177,750
If there's one thing about LG's products and accessories that's for sure though, it's that they'll drop in price quickly though. I remember like 8 months after the G Flex 2 came out it could be had for $200 when it originally retailed for like, what, $650? so IMO just wait to get the V20 until the price drops. I think the V10 is already about $200 after a year or so?

Actually you're right. The question is, when.
It's still not directly available in Germany, only in UK.

Nov 5, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #169,677 of 177,750
  Welp.... I guess I'm a sociopath then.

I don't usually show most of this stuff because I actively try to act like a normal member of society but 8/9 of the points applies to me. (#1 I can't judge myself)

and TBH, if their 4% population statistic is correct, then I'm not that surprised...

but watch out for over-the-top sexual appetites and weird fetishes. <

Nov 5, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #169,678 of 177,750
  I think it's nice to have one so once your battery goes to ***** you can replace it yourself instead of having it sent in. It would save me a whole lot of trouble with this stupid Nexus 6P for example...

Eyy he's back!~

It... It's not like I came here because of you guys! I just so happen an interesting topic to reply to! B... Baka!

Unfortunately V10 is still around $350~$400. But considering it's more of a premium line of phone, I'm not that surprised. But then the HTC 10 is now around $550 of which was released like 3 months ago from $700 iinm. So I can't really predict how long V20 will drop in price.
Well anyway, If I had the money, I'd definitely get the V20 because of the advanced hardware and also software it has. But too bad I don't have the money and my budget atm is the Redmi Note 3 Pro OTL

Nov 5, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #169,679 of 177,750
Don't get this thread too heated guys. 

The mods be watching. Let's not get this thread locked. 

Nov 5, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #169,680 of 177,750
So for 649.99€ and nothing spectacular, the V20 falls into the poor value category?

Not really a must and of course I don't carry batts around. Just if batt life eventually worsens a lot in maybe 2 years, I can just replace it. Maybe?

USB C is a must though.

Don't get me wrong, the HTC 10, Google Pixel, and LG V20 are all still really solid phones, but there's just nothing to differentiate them from most other flagship handsets. At this point they really all seem the same.

Which in that case actually gives the advantage to Google-made phones just because of the fact that you're the first to get updates (for 2 years at least. I don't think they've changed the support timeline between Nexus and Pixel).

Hm alternatively you can argue that on the drop if the battery falls out and gets damaged (same with the back I guess but the cost of replaceable back covers is pretty negligible so we can ignore it) there's a good chunk of money lost for a replacement battery, and I'd say it's a fairly likely scenario because the battery's own enclosure is only so robust and it's much easier to damage out in the open than protected by the phone (as per common sense). The phone's frame provides additional support for the battery and it's harder to bend the entire phone than to bend just the battery by itself. The casing protects from puncturing materials (if the case is punctured you'll probably be getting a new phone anyways).

I really don't think phone cases should be a thing. Phones were designed with the intent to look nice/be usable without the case. Albeit with the currently used materials it's obvious why cases exist (hellooooo ceramics...aka flagship only territory).

I think so long as the phone is easy to open there's no issue with replacing batteries. Ignoring the tri-wing and pentalobe screws on them, iPhones are insanely simple to repair. The battery (at least on the new 7 and 7 Plus) are held down with adhesive tabs (unlike the MacBooks which uses a whole sheet of hard to remove adhesive) and is very easy to replace.

I see very little tradeoff for going with these so called "permanent" batteries. Of course there are some phones that are an absolute nightmare, securing down the battery with adhesive and some tricky ribbon cables clamped under components but a well designed one shouldn't be that way. The iPhone esque adhesive tab or screwed down battery construction is more space efficient and less prone to parts being lost or broken off on impact (back cover and or battery on the swappable batteries). It's more space efficient because phones with removable back covers have to have another shell under them (usually plastic) which takes up a few millimeters of extra space which is a huge amount of relative volume in phones.

In the end you're probably more likely to have to spend more on a single drop for a removable back+battery phone (either from damage to the battery/back or from losing either) compared to a unibody phone.

But yeah the argument depends on phone construction. As much as I hate to say it sometimes, iPhone > all in this regard. Although the 7 took a few steps back from the 6 and the 6S though. You need to remove the taptic engine before the battery this time. Beforehand I think you didn't have to do much after taking off the screen (which you don't really have to disconnect, just don't tear it off while removing the battery). There's also the rubber gasket around the display but that's the price you pay for water resistance.

Eyy he's back!~

6P construction is just plain bad. Using woodworking joints to secure plastic and metal together...Chinese ingenuity at its best (it's really hard to call yourself proud of your home country sometimes and China honestly feels like among the hardest).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back