「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Nov 4, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #169,636 of 177,750
  The one in SoHo. 

The one in the Occulus says they don't recommend it because of noise pollution.

You have to go to the store to book an appointment. 
They said something about an optical cable. Who knows, I'm sure it'll sound great. 

I see.

I'll give them a visit tomorrow with my iTouch + line out adapter if that'll work out.

Nov 4, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #169,637 of 177,750

tumblr_nn58uaqa321usdy42o1_500.gif
latest

tumblr_nfppi88uaj1r0d0kko1_r2_500.gif

"Only a true hero is worthy to look upon my glorious presence."

Gilgamesh is one of my favorite characters because he's even more arrogant than I.

However...I alone shall attain the holy grail of sound quality!

My path is now clear. So clear there is no longer any need to hesitate.

(...I wonder how many get all the references I make...)

Nov 4, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #169,638 of 177,750

@vantt1

TPG says I'm getting the NBN in December....build is commencing....doki doki. 

I don't know why but my service from TPG is a bit inconsistent with speeds. Sometimes I get <10 Mbps, at others >30 Mbps. I don't know if it's my hardware (using TPG's NBN one) or the service. Thinking of switching to iiNet.  

got your shopping list of dongles you're gonna have to buy now?

Probably just the Type-C to USB adapter, whenever. Other than that I don't really need any more I/O. I'm still salty about getting the Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter and SuperDrive that I never use.

Good thing I didn't buy any yet!

http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/4/13524272/apple-cutting-usb-c-adaptor-prices-macbook-pro

Nov 4, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #169,639 of 177,750
  I don't know why but my service from TPG is a bit inconsistent with speeds. Sometimes I get <10 Mbps, at others >30 Mbps. I don't know if it's my hardware (using TPG's NBN one) or the service. Thinking of switching to iiNet.  

Across all devices? Through wireless only or wired as well? There's a lot of factors that could be messing with your internet speed.

Nov 4, 2016 at 11:57 PM Post #169,640 of 177,750
  Looks like all the impressions here are just based on brief auditions. Here's a review from an owner who says it's roughly at the same level as the 009 and even better in some ways. (And like I said, many other owners feel the same way.)

http://headphone.guru/the-focal-utopia-headphones-a-truly-utopian-audio-experience/

If that's how you wanna play, here goes :

There is significant weight to the air of the Utopia which makes it sound rather veiled and the soundstage is not exactly large either nothing like the SR009 and neither does the mids stand out in any way shape or form due to having a weird off timbre that makes mids sound way too thick.

Then I get to the elephant in the room, the bass, which is worse in quality. Quantity they are rather the same but for 1.5k less why not?

Oh and driving the utopia. If you have $4,000 to buy a headphone, which you obviously don't (Or that I can't tell if you do since you always say you can afford it but lazy to buy), you will wind up buying an TOTL amp it's simple as that.
However, I also found driving a utopia with the Questyle CMA600i sounds alarmingly way better than driving it out of a CHORD Hugo TT.

The treble in the Utopia is more sort of, meh. Whereas every single frequency band in the SR009 stands out and having a precise soundstage while having the right timbre makes it so much better, plus you don't have to buy the 007tii. No. The 727 will do. Apart from lacking oomph in bass department (I've been told SR007 does not lack it) the SR009 is heads and shoulders above Utopia 

And anyway HD800 > Utopia wew

Nov 5, 2016 at 12:21 AM Post #169,642 of 177,750
  If that's how you wanna play, here goes :

There is significant weight to the air of the Utopia which makes it sound rather veiled and the soundstage is not exactly large either nothing like the SR009 and neither does the mids stand out in any way shape or form due to having a weird off timbre that makes mids sound way too thick.

Then I get to the elephant in the room, the bass, which is worse in quality. Quantity they are rather the same but for 1.5k less why not?

Oh and driving the utopia. If you have $4,000 to buy a headphone, which you obviously don't (Or that I can't tell if you do since you always say you can afford it but lazy to buy), you will wind up buying an TOTL amp it's simple as that.
However, I also found driving a utopia with the Questyle CMA600i sounds alarmingly way better than driving it out of a CHORD Hugo TT.

The treble in the Utopia is more sort of, meh. Whereas every single frequency band in the SR009 stands out and having a precise soundstage while having the right timbre makes it so much better, plus you don't have to buy the 007tii. No. The 727 will do. Apart from lacking oomph in bass department (I've been told SR007 does not lack it) the SR009 is heads and shoulders above Utopia 

And anyway HD800 > Utopia wew

I appreciate you taking the time to offer your perspective. It ties into what I said about impressions varying wildly. (There seem to be just as many whose impressions are the opposite of yours as there are who have had similar experiences.)

About finances...I never said I can afford it at this moment. What I have said in the past is that I used to make good money at one point (my best month was nearly $8K), but no longer do because I am in the process of switching business models and I am indeed very lazy and tend to avoid getting work done. Watching anime is so much easier and more stimulating.

Nov 5, 2016 at 12:40 AM Post #169,643 of 177,750
I appreciate you taking the time to offer your perspective. It ties into what I said about impressions varying wildly. (There seem to be just as many whose impressions are the opposite of yours as there are who have had similar experiences.)

About finances...I never said I can afford it at this moment. What I have said in the past is that I used to make good money at one point (my best month was nearly $8K), but no longer do because I am in the process of switching business models and I am indeed very lazy and tend to avoid getting work done. Watching anime is so much easier and more stimulating.

Then why even ask for impressions?

Nov 5, 2016 at 12:56 AM Post #169,646 of 177,750
Then why even ask for impressions?

To gather information for when I have more money, obviously.

Or you can, you know, attend local Head-Fi-like meets and actually formulate your own opinion on something instead of reading 190823512 posts and getting a general consensus of something you haven't even heard.

Clearly, as you stated before, you understand the concept that
It ties into what I said about impressions varying wildly.

And you might not be in that majority.

Nov 5, 2016 at 12:58 AM Post #169,647 of 177,750
Or you can, you know, attend local Head-Fi-like meets and actually formulate your own opinion on something instead of reading 190823512 posts and getting a general consensus of something you haven't even heard.

Clearly, as you stated before, you understand the concept that
And you might not be in that majority.

I thought I made it clear that I do not want to go to meets.

Nov 5, 2016 at 2:50 AM Post #169,650 of 177,750

I hope I don't have to poop on a plane...at least I've got an aisle seat for a night flight...see you all in 17 hours or so.

Be safe, hope your poop stays where you want it to.

The aussie guy got his package, thanks for the tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back