「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Oct 18, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #169,111 of 177,745

We use one at least 5 times a day for portion control/calorie counting. It's also critical for baking or following recipes.

Being Australian, having a thermometer is absolutely essential for a good barbie, or else, as we say, your meat will turn out drier than a dead dingo's donger. 
tongue.gif

It's frightening how accurate cheap digital scales have become, but they tend to fall apart or become difficult to clean after some heavy use in the kitchen. 
redface.gif

This i agree....

Oct 18, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #169,112 of 177,745
  It's frightening how accurate cheap digital scales have become, but they tend to fall apart or become difficult to clean after some heavy use in the kitchen. 
redface.gif

yeah, it's crazy... I use my cheap +/- .005g scale for mixing resins. It was less than $20 IIRC.

Oct 18, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #169,114 of 177,745
  Ah, I gotcha lol. Plus I'm sure RMAF had a lot more interesting stuff, huh? :p

Haha and that's not even all of them, I think I ended up getting 10+ more the next day in Nakano at Mandarake's main(?) store.

RMAF had me. Miceblue and I had pillow talk :3

How big is the Mandarake store? I somehow missed it when I was there D:

.... also I miss you MechG!

Oct 19, 2016 at 6:07 AM Post #169,115 of 177,745
....that is singlehandedly the most bizarre depiction of egg and sperm that I have ever seen before.

What. The. Eff??? I highly doubt such inferior earphones would go searching for vinyl Lolololol.

Ah, I gotcha lol. Plus I'm sure RMAF had a lot more interesting stuff, huh? :p

Haha and that's not even all of them, I think I ended up getting 10+ more the next day in Nakano at Mandarake's main(?) store.

RMAF had me. Miceblue and I had pillow talk :3

How big is the Mandarake store? I somehow missed it when I was there D:

.... also I miss you MechG!

Haha fair enough! :3 Pillow talk is pretty awesome huh? XD

The one in akiba? Pretty dang big but off the beaten path a little bit. It's 7 floors but each level (ie the whole footprint of the building) was equivalent to a small Walgreen's or large gas station convenience store in America. The one on Nakano was split up into probably 20 small spots over 4 floors. Certainly couldn't miss that one lol.
Plus the guy I spoke to in the one at akiba knew a bit of English, and actually took the time to help me search for some of the CDs I couldn't find. Took him all of a few minutes to help the company sell me another probably 15-20 CDs? :p

Haha aww thanks! You should come over here to Japan the end of the year so we can all go to comiket!!

Oct 19, 2016 at 7:46 AM Post #169,116 of 177,745
Soooo here's a haul of all my weeb related stuff I got from my Japan trip:

Too may CDs to count...

Oct 19, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #169,117 of 177,745
We use one at least 5 times a day for portion control/calorie counting. It's also critical for baking or following recipes.

Being Australian, having a thermometer is absolutely essential for a good barbie, or else, as we say, your meat will turn out drier than a dead dingo's donger. :p

It's frightening how accurate cheap digital scales have become, but they tend to fall apart or become difficult to clean after some heavy use in the kitchen. :xf_eek:

I have been going back and forth on buying a thermopen for skillet meat sautéing (tiny apt). It's just such an expensive thermometer for so little expected use.

I did however get an immersion circulator. And it makes by far the best steak and fish I have ever eaten. Gotta try shrimp actually...

I got this one: https://anovaculinary.com/anova-precision-cooker/wifi/

But the last gen 800w one. They just updated it to 900w and a stronger pump 2.4gpm.

Reviews say it's pretty accurate and stable. I haven't independently tested personally. But it's made by a lab equipment company. Not sure if it would save you any money shipped from the US, but would be glad to do so.

The Bluetooth only model is currently on sale for $130 too, if you don't want to play around with controlling it from miles away lol.

Too may CDs to count...

I buy random expensive stuff all the time, but remembering how much cd's cost in Japan, that hurts just looking at the photos.

What's that totoro woven thing?

Oct 19, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #169,119 of 177,745
Finished the original Fate/stay night. I don't think it's a bad anime at all. In fact, I enjoyed every minute of it. Those who say it's not worth watching don't know what they're talking about.

It's the same basic story as Unlimited Blade Works, but like a cute demo version with some interesting differences. I'd recommend both renditions (along with the UBW movie) to anyone who's into the action/fantasy/magic genre, but would say that Fate/Zero should be watched first since it's a prequel and better in my opinion.

I found it quite amusing that the dub cast of Higurashi and Fate have characters in common. What's notable about this is that the Higurashi voice actors were *not* in tons of anime (unlike your typical FUNimation VAs) so it was a pleasant surprise to hear those familiar voices.

Rena : Rin
Keiichi : Gilgamesh (also Lancer in Fate/Zero)
Takano : Rider
Satoko : Ayako
Mion/Shion : Caster (only in UBW)

LiSa's cover of "This Illusion" (masterfully integrated into the final scene and closing credits of UBW season 1) is top-notch.

I also saw a lesser-known related series called Carnival Phantasm.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/10012/Carnival_Phantasm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnival_Phantasm

Carnival Phantasm takes a number of characters from Type-Moon's original works, and puts them in a variety of light-hearted scenarios which parody their respective series.

I would only recommend it to dedicated Fate / Type-Moon fans. Even I thought it was dumb much of the time, but the really funny parts made up for it. It's incredibly silly. Watch the OP...if you dare...

(LOLZ)

....that is singlehandedly the most bizarre depiction of egg and sperm that I have ever seen before.

Look at this album cover: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_of_the_Morning_Star

So...I'm impatient. You said that list I made about a week ago needs more paprika, as in more variety...but you didn't list any other anime even when I mentioned it again. I'm curious what your recommendations would be.

Oct 19, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #169,120 of 177,745
So...I'm impatient. You said that list I made about a week ago needs more paprika, as in more variety...but you didn't list any other anime even when I mentioned it again. I'm curious what your recommendations would be.

Haha dude, I have a work that I should be paid overtime for and family obligations. Any response that doesn't take half a brain cell and isn't on my general posting plan, like writing about the movies I have no time to watch, gets shuffled in my to-do priority.

Fear not, you have not been forgotten and I was thinking about this last night.

Now a few things:
1. I don't have your full 900 item list, nor do I have time to search posts for it, nor do I have time to look at all of it past checking something I was gonna recommend is on there, which is more than I have time for already.
2. Paprika doesn't have to be "variety", but it can be the spice of life :wink:
3. That post pretty much was saying add some Satoshi Kon to your list in what I hoped would be a humorous way. But since you asked, I was coming up with a response.
4. You have enough to watch without anything I would add to be impatient about needing my items, but I appreciate the appreciation of my input :p
5. Doing this requires I go over my semi-updated list, which takes time. If I give a response, I'll put some effort into it, which I think bears some allowance of patience.
6. This post has pushed the aforementioned item down the list a bit because it has used up said time, unfortunately.

Oct 19, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #169,121 of 177,745
Haha dude, I have a work that I should be paid overtime for and family obligations. Any response that doesn't take half a brain cell and isn't on my general posting plan, like writing about the movies I have no time to watch, gets shuffled in my to-do priority.

Fear not, you have not been forgotten and I was thinking about this last night.

Now a few things:
1. I don't have your full 900 item list, nor do I have time to search posts for it, nor do I have time to look at all of it past checking something I was gonna recommend is on there, which is more than I have time for already.
2. Paprika doesn't have to be "variety", but it can be the spice of life
wink.gif

3. That post pretty much was saying add some Satoshi Kon to your list in what I hoped would be a humorous way. But since you asked, I was coming up with a response.
4. You have enough to watch without anything I would add to be impatient about needing my items, but I appreciate the appreciation of my input
tongue.gif

5. Doing this requires I go over my semi-updated list, which takes time. If I give a response, I'll put some effort into it, which I think bears some allowance of patience.
6. This post has pushed the aforementioned item down the list a bit because it has used up said time, unfortunately.

ahaha. Fair enough, then. No rush and no worries.
biggrin.gif

(Actually, the thought of you suddenly thinking to yourself, "Hmm. I wonder which anime I should recommend to that Alchemist guy." in the middle of the night is pretty freakin' hilarious.)

Just bear in mind that I'm not nearly into mecha as you seem to be, so even if an anime is great, I would feel averse to watching it for awhile if it had lots of giant robots.

Oct 19, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #169,122 of 177,745
ahaha. Fair enough, then. No rush and no worries. :D

(Actually, the thought of you suddenly thinking to yourself, "Hmm. I wonder which anime I should recommend to that Alchemist guy." in the middle of the night is pretty freakin' hilarious.)

Just bear in mind that I'm not nearly into mecha as you seem to be, so even if an anime is great, I would feel averse to watching it for awhile if it had lots of giant robots.

More like when I was catching up and saw a post from you on my way home from work :p

Duly noted.

Oct 19, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #169,123 of 177,745

OMG I NEED THESE IN MY LIFE!

@ above post: I wish I could get there this year for a comiket lol. I am trying to plan to meet TYG over there in 2018 or something. That's the kind of time-table I'm looking at to get over there unfortunately :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back