「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Jul 26, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #167,416 of 177,750

Yeah, why is all that text in the form of a JPG image?

It's so that web crawlers and bots won't find out about the nekomimis! :wink:

Keep the magic secretTM

http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/07/new-attack-that-cripples-https-crypto-works-on-macs-windows-and-linux/

Needs more VPN.

This reminds me of a Mac "hack" I saw on Quora the other day: https://www.quora.com/What-are-some-computer-hacks-that-hackers-know-but-most-people-dont/answer/Drew-6

Step 1 is thwarted by having a firmware password. It might be possible to hack a firmware password using an Arduino and brute force.

Jul 26, 2016 at 11:51 PM Post #167,417 of 177,750
welp.... it turns out that in firefox 'browsing history' and 'recently closed' are 2 different things.
it will keep a log of recently closed windows even if I disable browsing history logging.

I found this out the hard way...
Ctrl+Shift+N will restore the most recently closed window, I pressed that by accident at work and my most recently closed window just happens to be on e-h. :/

Jul 27, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #167,418 of 177,750
  welp.... it turns out that in firefox 'browsing history' and 'recently closed' are 2 different things.
it will keep a log of recently closed windows even if I disable browsing history logging.

Ctrl+Shift+N will restore the most recently closed window, I pressed that by accident at work and my most recently closed window just happens to be on e-h. :/

Yup.

Personally I think it's useful because in Chrome Incognito (ex. when I don't want to bother w/ another person's logged in services on their computer) it doesn't keep a list of recently closed so if I accidentally close something I'm screwed.

Jul 27, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #167,419 of 177,750
Dafuq?? OnePlus 3's screen only gets to four hundred some nits in brightness? Even the 4S gets to 550+ and that's a phone from 2013....

Whoever thought a display that low in brightness and a PenTile design was a good idea? :/

Oh well....it's not like I use my 4S past 50% brightness anyway for 99% of my daily usage.

Jul 27, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #167,420 of 177,750
Dafuq?? OnePlus 3's screen only gets to four hundred some nits in brightness? Even the 4S gets to 550+ and that's a phone from 2013....

Whoever thought a display that low in brightness and a PenTile design was a good idea? :/

Oh well....it's not like I use my 4S past 50% brightness anyway for 99% of my daily usage.

People who thought that most people don't use that much brightness over 99% of the time and would rather have a limited brightness to help with battery life since most people won't even notice the brightness?

:D

Jul 27, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #167,421 of 177,750
People who thought that most people don't use that much brightness over 99% of the time and would rather have a limited brightness to help with battery life since most people won't even notice the brightness?

:D

Maybe. That argument becomes moot when you see the S7 getting really decent battery life reports and that's driving a quad-HD panel AND can get brighter with the same size battery, same CPU, and same GPU.

@1:58
[video]https://youtube.com/watch?v=ycIpOZY03OM[/video]

Can't wait for more RAM though compared to the 4S. iOS 9 makes the 4S incredibly slow....and multitasking is worse in iOS 9 than it was in iOS 7. It makes me want to chuck this phone through a brick wall.

Jul 27, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #167,422 of 177,750

That one percent when you're outside on a bright day and need to see your phone screen is kinda key IMO.

=(

This, on a more general level, also goes for a lot of other applications, like video players...

These days almost every application which opens files has a recent list. Just something to be vigilantly aware of if you share a machine. There's no shortcut for undo close file, but there's a list to be seen, but most kindly have an option to disable it.

Jul 27, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #167,424 of 177,750
^ they won't notice it because they won't be using their phone outside on sunny days =)

Realistically, people don't notice the usage of high output for the displays because they have their phones set to auto-brightness, which will ramp up the brightness for them and push it back down, creating the appearance, relatively, of uniform brightness across scenarios. They set their phone to 50%, turn on auto brightness and don't realize it's turned itself up to 110% when they're outside or down to 15% in a dim room, and they think it's always at 50% because it's for the most part seamless.

Jul 27, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #167,425 of 177,750
^ they won't notice it because they won't be using their phone outside on sunny days =)

Realistically, people don't notice the usage of high output for the displays because they have their phones set to auto-brightness, which will ramp up the brightness for them and push it back down, creating the appearance, relatively, of uniform brightness across scenarios. They set their phone to 50%, turn on auto brightness and don't realize it's turned itself up to 110% when they're outside or down to 15% in a dim room, and they think it's always at 50% because it's for the most part seamless.

Yeaaaah well there's not much I can do about the brightness of the phone....unless there's a way to hack the phone to safely use a different display. XD

I only use auto brightness if I'm actively going to be outside. Otherwise I use manual settings to try and save some battery life.

Jul 27, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #167,426 of 177,750
I never used auto brightness. I always set it to manual, minimum, unless I am outside during a sunny day and need to choose a song. It might be on max brightness for 30 seconds, but even half of that will do for me as I just need to see the name of the songs.

:3

Speaking of which...

https://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro-graphics-with-pascal.html

(Breathing intensifies even though I can't afford one).

Jul 27, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #167,427 of 177,750

The 4S is a phone from 2011, using display tech from 2010. The OG Retina Display really was ahead of its time IMO.

It's not their fault. AMOLED displays have always struggled with brightness in the past. Only Samsung's newer displays can compete with equivalent LCDs, but they keep it to themselves to retain competitiveness. The latest AMOLED tech that other companies can get from Samsung is at least a couple generations older than Samsung's latest and greatest. 

That one percent when you're outside on a bright day and need to see your phone screen is kinda key IMO.

It's better to have something and not need it rather than need something but not have it.

Jul 27, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #167,429 of 177,750
The 4S is a phone from 2011, using display tech from 2010. The OG Retina Display really was ahead of its time IMO.

It's not their fault. AMOLED displays have always struggled with brightness in the past. Only Samsung's newer displays can compete with equivalent LCDs, but they keep it to themselves to retain competitiveness. The latest AMOLED tech that other companies can get from Samsung is at least a couple generations older than Samsung's latest and greatest.

Right...I just read "iPhone 4s as of September 2013" from Wikipedia and said it was 2013. That just makes it all the more impressive! : D

Was kinda fun to watch people being salty because the OP wrote it in Japanese.

XD
How many people actually understood what he was writing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back