「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Jul 23, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #167,356 of 177,750
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/07/report-cyanogen-inc-to-layoff-20-of-workers-may-pivot-to-app-development/

http://www.xda-developers.com/cyanogen-inc-lays-off-30-of-its-staff-may-turn-from-os-towards-apps/

Okay then, my plan to get a Zenfone 3 and just use Cyanogenmod for LTS has just died.

Jul 23, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #167,358 of 177,750
If anyone cares, there's European Speedster Assembly marathon right now. More of a low-key event than GDQ, but still cool. They're having some... production issues right now, but the few runs so far have supposedly been pretty good (couldn't watch myself). Schedule might be a bit more interesting than SGDQ at least.
http://www.esamarathon.com/schedule
http://twitch.tv/esamarathon

Jul 23, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #167,362 of 177,750
( ゚Д゚)

...I always wanted to adopt an abandoned a cat and/or a dog in need though...

...but I can't afford to keep them alive with my income...

;-;

People often think it's feeding the pet that's the big cost. For smaller pets, it's actually standard medical care that hits harder, especially if you live in a city, and because it's often a lump payment.

Jul 23, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #167,363 of 177,750
People often think it's feeding the pet that's the big cost. For smaller pets, it's actually standard medical care that hits harder, especially if you live in a city, and because it's often a lump payment.

( ゚Д゚)...

...speaking of which, I always wanted to adopt an abandoned cat and/or dog in need...

...but I can't afford to keep them alive with my income...

;-;

Come on, people! 

A pet, depending on size and type can eat just parts of human food, without needing any dedicated food. And medical care for your pet should not get way over 30$, sometimes being under 15$. At least in here. 

I want to get a new cat and a dog, but can't find any place to adopt a bigger breed of dog, only small ones in my area. As for cats, as much as I would love a maine coon, a british short hair is probably what I will settle for. 

Jul 23, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #167,364 of 177,750

I know. My family owned a dog when I was small but we had to give him away. I still feel so sad 10 years later.

;-;

Jul 23, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #167,365 of 177,750
  A pet, depending on size and type can eat just parts of human food, without needing any dedicated food. And medical care for your pet should not get way over 30$, sometimes being under 15$. At least in here. 

You, my friend, live in one of Europe's poorest countries.
I have to pay around 70€ per cat for a standard check and almost 40€ just for some anti-flea stuff.
And most human food is not exactly ideal for cats because there is way too much salt, fat etc etc in it.

Jul 23, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #167,366 of 177,750
Come on, people! 

I want to get a new cat and a dog, but can't find any place to adopt a bigger breed of dog, only small ones in my area. As for cats, as much as I would love a maine coon, a british short hair is probably what I will settle for. 

I have to pay around 70€ per cat for a standard check and almost 40€ just for some anti-flea stuff.

And most human food is not exactly ideal for cats because there is way too much salt, fat etc etc in it.

Yea, and, at least here, human food is waaayyy more expensive than dog food per meal lol. And less healthy for their diet.

Checkups here are like $120+, that doesn't include blood or fecal sample lab testing $40+ each, plus vaccinations every 1-3 years $60+ each, plus heartworm meds (monthly) and anti-flea (every 1-3 months), that comes out to like $30/month. Then teeth cleanings every 1-2 years ($500+). Its a bit cheaper outside the city but not even close to $30 USD.

Quality grain free dog food on the other hand is like $20 per month for a small dog, whereas my dinner is $10 min, unless I'm going super unhealthy or cup of noodles. By far the cheapest and most predictable part of dog ownership.

Jul 23, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #167,367 of 177,750

Yea, and, at least here, human food is waaayyy more expensive than dog food per meal lol. And less healthy for their diet.

Checkups here are like $120+, that doesn't include blood or fecal sample lab testing $40+ each, plus vaccinations every 1-3 years $60+ each, plus heartworm meds (monthly) and anti-flea (every 1-3 months), that comes out to like $30/month. Then teeth cleanings every 1-2 years ($500+). Its a bit cheaper outside the city but not even close to $30 USD.

Quality grain free dog food on the other hand is like $20 per month for a small dog, whereas my dinner is $10 min, unless I'm going super unhealthy or cup of noodles. By far the cheapest and most predictable part of dog ownership.

That sounds like waaaaaay over what I anticipated owning a pet would be like in other countries. 

I live in Romania. It's... not so poor. 

But our minimum wage is around 300$ per month. Without joking. 

I guess that for us a 10$ for a doc vaccine and a 5$ for anti flea collar are somewhat ok, leaning to being expensive. 

A person can eat out of 3 to 5$ per day, with two people eating good for 8$ per day. 

Owning a dog means feeding him a lot of leftovers, and most dogs are very very healthy. Some people do buy special dog food, but the prices are similarly low. Since Romanians eat way more food made in house than other countries, it might be another reason why pets can eat it safely. 

Now, we have vets, and all vaccines + medical notes + every checkup is 30$ first year and about 10$ every year or so. 

Then again, compared to minimum wage, those amounts are not very small, so this might be why it's like this. 

[Though owning a pet sounds like crazy expensive in other countries, when seeing American movies about kids wanting a pet, I would not have imagined it would be that expensive, and this would be a reason why parents would not allow kids to own one lol]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back