「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Jul 21, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #167,341 of 177,750

RIP VHS. The production of VCRs officially stopped.

Well, the number of people owning them was lower and lower. Now with 4k around the corner for all media content, we will be seeing CDs eventually stopping, even DVDs. 

It's going to go the way of Betamax.

Jul 21, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #167,343 of 177,750
http://techreport.com/news/30422/nvidia-unveils-a-pascal-powered-titan-x-with-11-tflops-on-tap

E L E V E N T E R A F L O P S

Jul 22, 2016 at 1:39 AM Post #167,345 of 177,750
"Titan X"... again? Lame.

3584 cores and "GP102" screams cut-down... or not, considering the GP100 on the Tesla P100 has the same core count. Or perhaps that GP100 is gimped as well? "GP200" might be the full big Pascal.

Also, no HBM2. Though I think only Samsung has them ready (but probably with low yields) and Hynix ones are just coming out later.

1080 Ti will probably a 3072 (or even 3328) core GPU... and probably be $1K. They're probably even baking a full 3840 core GPU next year for $1700 to go with your 6950X for maximum e-peen.

But whatever, I'm not the target audience anyway.

Jul 22, 2016 at 2:37 AM Post #167,346 of 177,750
Listening to music at 2:00 AM for the sake of listening to music, then a storm starts, filling the background with rain and thunder nicely so I decided to grab my umbrella and go for a walk...with my headphones still plugged in my laptop...

But the cable is so friggin' long it doesn't even matter (th...thanks AKG...).

\(;v:wink:/ ♪ ♫

PS: Ended up just listening to Loss from I am Setsuna on repeat:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ5S0ruCceU

Makes me want to practice Tai Chi right now. I often pull all-nighters for pure music listening but it's been a while since something like this happened.

o(;w:wink:o

Jul 22, 2016 at 3:15 AM Post #167,347 of 177,750
Sweet baby jesus the new Seasonic Titanium power supplies look pretty good (oh and the new Titan I guess =P). And man was U-3C right or what, the nVidia/AMD fanboy war on the 480/1060 is raging on as hard as I've ever seen. XD

I did some light investigation on the charging behavior on the Dell E7470 laptop, as you do, and it turns out they're charging the lithium ion cells to a roasty toasty 4.4V! Turning it on to "primarily AC mode" seems to change the threshold to about 4.26V per cell, which effectively doubles cycle life. This mode stops charging at roughly 90% but it also tricks the PC into thinking it's at 100%.

The main capacity degradation for laptops is usually the permanent loss associated with aging and sitting around at high state of charge levels, so I set the end charge threshold to be about 70% which on this particular machine is at 4.05V per cell. I don't think it'll make thaaaat much of a difference though, maybe only reducing the wear down by half over 2-3 years.
Replacement batteries aren't that expensive anyway, but I like taking care of batteries for some sick and twisted reason.

For those curious 6-7% charge left is at about 3.6V which is pretty comfortable, so I wont need to change the critical threshold where Windows will shut down automatically (5% default).
4.05V per cell is also the threshold for switching between from CC to CV (for this charging circuit anyway, but it's pretty standard), so regular top-ups will be swift for my use, about 1% per minute is the standard rate up until the CV stage. (about 32W draw for the CC stage for a 55WHr battery)

Something like 55% charge threshold would be much better (about 3.92V per cell, which is recommended for highest cycle life, it's what satellites use) but I have to draw the line somewhere. I always worry about these things but will I actually miss 5-10% extra capacity in 3 years time? 
tongue.gif

Okay okay maybe something like 85% is more practical... or maybe just 55% because I only use this thing for a couple of hours at a time at home...I can always summon up a full charge whenever I need it with 2 mouse clicks.....but 3ish hours of battery life isn't that practical....however charging at/over 4.2V gives me the heebie jeebies....then again these are the new high capacity cell chemistry and they can take it...

I can replace the battery I can replace the battery I can replace the battery I can replace the battery I can replace the battery I can replace the battery I can replace the battery ><

So 70%/4.05V then?

Jul 22, 2016 at 7:32 AM Post #167,348 of 177,750
anyone here learned Japanese? i wana learn how to read and write. also how to read kanji.

what is the best online course? or teacher? or site? i am willing to subscribe or pay monthly.  best site for time and effort is?  i don't mind the value as i will get the best way and save time. 

Jul 22, 2016 at 8:00 AM Post #167,349 of 177,750
  anyone here learned Japanese? i wana learn how to read and write. also how to read kanji.

what is the best online course? or teacher? or site? i am willing to subscribe or pay monthly.  best site for time and effort is?  i don't mind the value as i will get the best way and save time. 

Everything I know, I learned with Obenkyo and Human Japanese.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Obenkyo&hl=en
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.braksoftware.HumanJapanese&hl=en

Jul 22, 2016 at 8:54 AM Post #167,350 of 177,750
  Everything I know, I learned with Obenkyo and Human Japanese.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Obenkyo&hl=en
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.braksoftware.HumanJapanese&hl=en

this is faster than other good sites? O-o'' TBH was looking for the fastest and most effective and easy. regardless the price. not that i am lazy. its just i lack time :p 

still thanks for the links ^^

Jul 22, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #167,351 of 177,750
  this is faster than other good sites? O-o'' TBH was looking for the fastest and most effective and easy. regardless the price. not that i am lazy. its just i lack time :p 

still thanks for the links ^^

You probably have to try out a few different methods to see what works for you, everyone learns differently after all. There's a ton of info on the learnjapanese subreddit so check it out.

Jul 22, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #167,352 of 177,750

Well, I think the first thing is to let your ears/eyes/mouth/brain get used to the runes first (katagana & hiragana).

Then probably you can try to type out what you hear in anime, and look for meaning of those terms you don't understand on web like dic.yahoo.co.jp, dic.nicovideo.jp or just google.co.jp etc (erm, here I am assuming that you've already known some basic words or "sense" of grammar after watching anime for so many years..)

Non-translated LN and VN also helps as well, especially for Kanji :D

Jul 22, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #167,353 of 177,750
@HybridCore

mind adding these to the OP?

image reverse lookup for anime wallpapers / mangas / CGs / pixiv etc:
http://www.iqdb.org/
https://saucenao.com/

image reverse lookup for anime screenshots (provided by a friend of mine):
https://whatanime.ga/

Jul 23, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #167,355 of 177,750

Thanks for the responses re: the GPUs!!
Every now and then, i feel like the integrated gpu is my bottleneck for things i do on my laptop, but i don't think its enough of an issue at the moment to go back to the PC master race (not that i even have room in my apartment for a desk to put it on/under). #thatgreatcitylifeAhem

Quote:
  I kind of want to watch anime in 4k

=)

I render videos from time to time for the Tube, but I think that's more of a CPU thing isn't it?

Also I need a better GPU for Adobe Lighroom....the 650M gets the job done, but it makes my fans roar.

Rendering *was* usually CPU, not sure if they're mainly using GPU acceleration nowdays. I never thought Lightroom would be GPU intensive either lol. Maybe thats why mine is so laggy (looking at you MBA13 - not that the CPU is the god of thunder or anything)...

Quote:
  I thought video players always use GPU......
My CPU is pretty much idle when playing anime.

Quote:
  Those who use Adobe's newer software will use its GPGPU features.

Maybe some video players might use GPU acceleration but not likely. Other than that, there are some people who do BOINC or Folding@Home which are very GPU intensive. Any cryptocurrency mining as well (AMD was favored for this, I think this still might be the case but ASICs have taken over last time I checked).

I think they used to be CPU tasks to watch video but with the newer codecs, lots of GPUs feature specific video decoding chips for H264, etc., so it offloads to the gpu's decoder. Just typing H264 makes me mourn for fansubbing.

I haven't really thought out how I'd implement this when I first wrote it
but the basics is that have a somewhat large set of training data like this:

character datawaifu?
either:
- set of tags from a database
or:
- vocal signature
- image(s)
true / false

the point is that the output (waifu?) is some complex function of the input which we don't know.
the latter input option would be much more accurate if it could be done (I don't know how... yet)

by training a neuro network on a large set of known mappings, it can learn the complex function.
after it has been trained, I can input arbitrary character data and have it determine weather that's waifu material or not.
apply this test to all known characters and you now have an exhaustive list of all your waifus in existence.... ideally.

sometimes I run CUDA apps like waifu2x, but it's not really a real-time demand for compute power.
getting a flagship CPU is much more important than a GPU for me.
It would help when you have a lot of numbers to crunch tho.

Mmmm maybe both tags and images, like multifaceted. Learning the base data would be one thing. I think the real learning would be getting a user base to enter 2-3 waifu's each so that the system can learn to associate the data rather than just looking for general correlations like facial proportions etc or what waifus people like in general. I'd think then it could recommend waifus for specific tastes.

Then again, i have very little clue how the mechanics work so maybe what i'm saying is both crazy and stupid =)
One can dream though of such system, like how say Amazon recommend products. Like:

"Hey V, how about this old/new Waifu, eh? eh? She might be from the 70's but she has tags in all the right places."

We can save the game <3 sekaiproject started showing some interest finally -.-'' 

if you want it then help rewteeting :p https://twitter.com/VN_Saviour/status/756139850168803328

This actually looks and sounds pretty good. Except when Squall from FFVIII showed up at 1:27... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back