☯️ Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp???
Apr 5, 2016 at 11:59 PM Post #5,791 of 5,932
I will contact them if need be. I have had it up pretty loud with th900's. Thank you for the warm advice.

I think you should mail yours in for a check up.  I have a problem with the hum on mind on SE and channel imbalanced issue and Alex did take care of it within a week time.

Apr 6, 2016 at 12:09 AM Post #5,792 of 5,932

Keep an eye on the classifieds.  I don't doubt that people will want to be upgrading and there are two weeks left on the big amps.  You might also put a WTB ad up to see if that entices anyone to sell who might be on the fence.

I have been on the classifieds for a month or so, put an Advert in and only got 2 responses, neither were suitable for a variety of reasons.  :frowning2:
Given the limited window I have to find one (About 3 weeks) I think it's not likely to work out :frowning2: 

Apr 6, 2016 at 12:17 AM Post #5,793 of 5,932
I think you should mail yours in for a check up.  I have a problem with the hum on mind on SE and channel imbalanced issue and Alex did take care of it within a week time.
Thank you. I know Cavalli stands behind their amps. I think my amp is within spec. The new amps are not out yet. I'm going to enjoy the amp for the next 14 weeks. Read the comments after that. If Cavalli Audio feels the need to address the power supply for the original amps I'll take advantage of the offer. If they have one. And no it should not be free if your amp is acting normal and you just want the new power supply.

Apr 6, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #5,794 of 5,932
Thank you. I know Cavalli stands behind their amps. I think my amp is within spec. The new amps are not out yet. I'm going to enjoy the amp for the next 14 weeks. Read the comments after that. If Cavalli Audio feels the need to address the power supply for the original amps I'll take advantage of the offer. If they have one. And no it should not be free if your amp is acting normal and you just want the new power supply.

Why exactly do you think your amp is within spec? Multiple people have said that theirs don't do what yours is doing. If you're going to talk **** about it, you should at least check and see if it's not broken first. Otherwise, you just make yourself look bad.

Apr 6, 2016 at 12:29 AM Post #5,795 of 5,932
Really guys i think there are 2 issues being conflated here.

1. Hiss

The hiss is not unusual and not a super big deal because it is reasonably low leveland does not really affect listening at real world listening levels.

If you have a bothersome hum or buzz or channel imbalance, this is not the low level hiss that people hear and are generally i think more or less okay with.

It looks like Cavalli to their credit have gone through the design and managed to reduce the hiss in v2 and I think this is probably okay on the level of incremental improvements and not a design flaw as such.

2. Hum on Balanced input -> SE output

This is imho an actual design flaw which should have been picked up and really should be fixed for free. If it wasn't for the existence of a simple workaround in my case (connecting the SE input makes the hum go away), I would have sent it back to Cavalli very unhappy.

The hum is not regular, relatively loud buzz and actually affects the sound quality so I would class this in the slightly broken and should be fixed on demand category for existing users.

On point 2, that shouldn't be happening. It sounds to me like you have a grounding issue here, which likely means one of two things:

1. You're running positive and negative phases from the DAC with no ground. Perhaps using a TRRS to dual 3-pin connection, a "cheater cable" or similar? In this case the hum is ground noise, and the SE connector is providing a shared ground between the amp and DAC. This isn't a design flaw in the LC, it's just a reality of electrical engineering. You'd have the same issue on other balanced amps as well.

2. If that's not the case, and you're hooking up two legitimate 3-pin connectors to two legitimate 3-pin connectors then you have either A.) a problem with your amp, B.) a problem with your DAC, or C.) a problem with the wiring in your house. In that case, I'd contact Warren or Alex about getting your amp checked out, as that should not be occurring with normal operation. Really. :)

Apr 6, 2016 at 2:41 AM Post #5,796 of 5,932
On point 2, that shouldn't be happening. It sounds to me like you have a grounding issue here, which likely means one of two things:

1. You're running positive and negative phases from the DAC with no ground. Perhaps using a TRRS to dual 3-pin connection, a "cheater cable" or similar? In this case the hum is ground noise, and the SE connector is providing a shared ground between the amp and DAC. This isn't a design flaw in the LC, it's just a reality of electrical engineering. You'd have the same issue on other balanced amps as well.

2. If that's not the case, and you're hooking up two legitimate 3-pin connectors to two legitimate 3-pin connectors then you have either A.) a problem with your amp, B.) a problem with your DAC, or C.) a problem with the wiring in your house. In that case, I'd contact Warren or Alex about getting your amp checked out, as that should not be occurring with normal operation. Really.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm using the Carbon with a Schiit Gumby 3pin XLR interconnects and I have the same issue.  Connecting RCA does fix the problem.  I think it's a grounding issue on the Carbon, IMO.

Apr 6, 2016 at 5:41 AM Post #5,799 of 5,932
.....runs home to listen to my LC in single ended for the first time, because everyone is scaring me.

Apr 6, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #5,801 of 5,932

This is imho an actual design flaw which should have been picked up and really should be fixed for free. If it wasn't for the existence of a simple workaround in my case (connecting the SE input makes the hum go away), I would have sent it back to Cavalli very unhappy.

The hum is not regular, relatively loud buzz and actually affects the sound quality so I would class this in the slightly broken and should be fixed on demand category for existing users.

I'm using the Carbon with a Schiit Gumby 3pin XLR interconnects and I have the same issue.  Connecting RCA does fix the problem.  I think it's a grounding issue on the Carbon, IMO.

Before I sold Carbon (actually right before I ship anything I sell) I tested it to ensure it was 100% functional.

However this was also the first time I switched from Gungnir with XLR cables to Mojo with RCA cables. The person I sold it to was planning to use a Mojo, so the test seemed to parallel how they would be setup. This was also the only time I did not hear the hum from the 1/4" phono output.

Apr 6, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #5,802 of 5,932
Apr 7, 2016 at 6:53 AM Post #5,803 of 5,932
Patiently waiting for a response from cavalli to that contact form I sent in a few days ago

Apr 7, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #5,804 of 5,932

I had this on my Carbon and confirmed it with two different sources (Ayre C-5xeMP / Emotiva Stealth DC-1). Send it in to Cavalli and they will fix it under warranty.

I've read on earlier posts that pin 1 of the XLR input shows no continuity with ground of SE out, therefore a ground loop is present in the amp when this particular configuration is employed, in my estimation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back