☯️ Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp???
Dec 18, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #4,906 of 5,932
Be that as it may, let me reassure everyone who is concerned that I was not and have not been sitting behind my terminal seething with rage like some volcano about to  erupt, or festering like some cannon about to explode...

[trimmed]

I do really feel some sense of frustration, however [trimmed]

[trimmed]

I hope you now understand the source of my concern...  Question is, what is the best course of action to take under these circumstances?

I had assumed you were not actually as angry as your post sounded and I was not at all upset by your post. I do think you are very stressed out by the whole experience, which is a shame, understandable, and unnecessary. I was trying to offer some calming words. Perhaps I failed. I say it is unnecessary because you really need to get in touch with Cavalli and ask for assistance. If that fails you, then please do get angry.
wink.gif

Why don't you give Cavalli a call on the phone? They could possibly hold your package and ship it after the holidays or change the shipping address. At a minimum, they can probably give you some guidance about when it will actually go out.

I'm #1171 and just got Fed Ex notification. Shipped from Ventura, CA literarily 15 minutes ago! Maybe yours has been sent too? 

Dec 18, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #4,908 of 5,932
Is the input source too hot? Could be that there's a lot of voltage on the line-out.

Good point. The HA-1 balanced out is 4.6V and the DAC-19 SE out is 2.5V yet the volume difference when hot switching between SE and balanced input on the Liquid Carbon doesn't show much volume level change. Going to do more testing in a while, but the SE input being converted to balanced at the amp seems to bring it up to the level of the balanced input. Not definitive as I haven't done any volume matching or detailed testing yet, just general listening impressions so far.

Dec 18, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #4,909 of 5,932
Anyone who lives in the L.A area get their shipping notice and have it delivered on the same day by Fed Ex?
Ventura is so close to me. 

Dec 18, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #4,910 of 5,932
  Initial sound impressions are VERY favorable. Honestly, it may be too loud for a low impedance HP like the LCD-X. Can't turn knob over 9 o'clock position on high gain. And not over 11 o'clock on low gain.  Given that max volume is around 5 o'clock position.

How loud do you listen? I can't go much past 9 o'clock on LOW gain with the less efficient ETHER C (22 Ohm - 92 dB efficiency).

I don't think you're the only ones here with the volume knob turned low. Listening with the HE-400i, I usually only have the knob turned around 9 o'clock. With the HE-1000, I have the knob turned around 10 o'clock. I will say that I'm not a loud listener though.

Luckily my main DAC has a preamp function built into it, so I can change how loud it is outputting into the LC. The volume knob positions I described above were with my DACs at full volume.

Dec 18, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #4,913 of 5,932
I'm enjoying some fine ass ike and Tina Turner... followed by Paerish... followed by Fair to Midland.... just for a quick chance to experience what could be....

I gotta be clear... I'm here to enjoy the extreme beauty of what can be conveyed by my gear. Not just to own things others cannot. That being said... I am in bliss with this beginning of a playlist. My Liquid Carbon is strong and not leaving things behind. An amazing presentation!!!!!

Schitt Yggdrasil feeding into the Carbon and into an incredibly special Audeze LCD-3 via Toxic Cables Venom.

Can't wait for the Liquid Gold... which has been proof of some really strong customer service by Alex Cavalli and crew!!!! Amazing response time and dedication to bad ass customer experiences!

Dec 18, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #4,915 of 5,932
I'm using Gumby -> LC -> ETHER, balanced, listening mostly at 9 o'clock on LOW gain. For poorer quality songs, 10 o'clock.

Interesting. The HA-1(balanced), DAC-19(SE), and Gumby(balanced) to the ETHER family seem to all be about the same with the LC. I'm also a low(safe) volume listener, around 80-85 dB average. What I like is that the Liquid Carbon doesn't need loud volume to feel the dynamics in the music. Loving this amp! :D

Dec 18, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #4,916 of 5,932
You running a BDP105D at 100% XLR outs too? Might be your source. 9 is max. for me, not typical.

What? Sorry, I don't have a BDP-105, and I haven't hooked up my BDP-83 to the Liquid Carbon. I'm using the HA-1 on fixed output of 4.6V balanced and the DAC-19 with its fixed output of 2.6V. Not much volume change between the two on the LC. And yes, I said I'm around 9 o'clock.....

Dec 18, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #4,917 of 5,932
Interesting. The HA-1(balanced), DAC-19(SE), and Gumby(balanced) to the ETHER family seem to all be about the same with the LC. I'm also a low(safe) volume listener, around 80-85 dB average. What I like is that the Liquid Carbon doesn't need loud volume to feel the dynamics in the music. Loving this amp!
biggrin.gif

Yes, I sort of raise my eye brown when I slowly turn up the volume on the first time. I haven't yet put on my LCD2r2 to see how it turns out, perhaps after burn-in. I have not really touch my LCD2r2 ever since I got ETHER. I'm currently enjoying the burn-in process before I proceed to critical listening. But man, LC is definitely engaging. 
beerchug.gif

Dec 18, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #4,918 of 5,932

I had assumed you were not actually as angry as your post sounded and I was not at all upset by your post. I do think you are very stressed out by the whole experience, which is a shame, understandable, and unnecessary. I was trying to offer some calming words. Perhaps I failed. I say it is unnecessary because you really need to get in touch with Cavalli and ask for assistance. If that fails you, then please do get angry.
wink.gif

Why don't you give Cavalli a call on the phone? They could possibly hold your package and ship it after the holidays or change the shipping address. At a minimum, they can probably give you some guidance about when it will actually go out.

I'm #1171 and just got Fed Ex notification. Shipped from Ventura, CA literarily 15 minutes ago! Maybe yours has been sent too? 

Yes, I also got my Fedex notification today, status : "Picked up."  Before then, I had spoken to Dr. Alex, and CA customer service, and the best and most practical option I have now, it turns out,  is to wait for the estimated delivery date to show up in my Fedex Tracking, and to re-direct the package to an alternative address if it is certain that it would not arrive here by Dec. 23rd.

So fingers crossed.

Dec 18, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #4,919 of 5,932
Ugh, two days in a row that Fedex weren't able to deliver. So I requested the package to be dropped off to local FedEx Office Print & Ship Center. I suspect I'll have problems with that drop off request too since I had the same problem with my Alpha Prime package. Sigh, Fedex is so lame. Come to think of it, my Amazon Prime uses mostly UPS, USPS, or AMZL_US even for 2 day deliveries. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back