☯️ Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp???
May 8, 2015 at 3:40 AM Post #1,336 of 5,932

Not required with LC. SE input will have both SE and balanced output 
cool.gif

Understood but if you want to use your headphones in another source/amp thats not the LC and only has SE... You will need an extra cable that goes from XLR to 1/4" or 3.5mm.

May 8, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #1,341 of 5,932

Well to be fair, if you don't have a soldering station, solder, snips, helping hands, etc already, it's going to cost quite a bit to reterminate that cable.  But if you do have that stuff, soldering a 4-pin XLR is easy mode.

I'd be happy to help out people that don't have soldering supplies by reterminating cables for a very nominal cost.

Well you do need to choose between a sandwich or a reterminated cable, and if the sandwich is from Potbelly, that's a really hard choice! 
darthsmile.gif

Mmmmmm, Potbelly. 
beerchug.gif

May 8, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #1,343 of 5,932
I would be interested! 

May 8, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #1,345 of 5,932
Big thumbs up to Barry for his generous offer :)

I can't wait to hear more impressions from more familiar gear.

May 8, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #1,346 of 5,932
PM sent!

May 8, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #1,347 of 5,932
(I posted this in the wrong forum originally and just realized it.)

Ok, I have a question that is plaguing me.

So we have the Liquid Carbon coming out - an SS amp.

How does this compare with the Liquid Gold other than the Gold being 6.5 times more expensive? 

The price difference is considerable. Anyone who knows or has an idea, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

My amp is decent and I really now want an end game amp to go with my LCD-X headphones.

I could financially do either one, but hate to throw money at something beyond what is necessary but also want an end game amp.

One difference is the Gold is MUCH more powerful. Don't know if the LCD-X's would need more than 1.5 watts.

Any ideas on this beyond just the evaluation of the money? I can not easily sell one if I don't need it due to where I am geographically. And don't need 3 amps. Would like this purchase to be my end game purchase (even though a few years from now I may get another. lol)

Thoughts?

May 8, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #1,348 of 5,932
I think in general what you are going to get with a higher end version of a similar amp (like the Gold) is more headroom, better dynamics, better seperation, etc. How much better would be difficult to say without hearing both, but the law of decreasing returns will certainly kick in pretty hard going from something like the Liquid Carbon to Liquid Gold, in other words 6 times the price won't nearly equal 6 times the performance. Especially considering the Carbon is supposedly an extreme value at it's current pricing, and the Gold is, well, very expensive.

May 9, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #1,349 of 5,932
I think in general what you are going to get with a higher end version of a similar amp (like the Gold) is more headroom, better dynamics, better seperation, etc. How much better would be difficult to say without hearing both, but the law of decreasing returns will certainly kick in pretty hard going from something like the Liquid Carbon to Liquid Gold, in other words 6 times the price won't nearly equal 6 times the performance. Especially considering the Carbon is supposedly an extreme value at it's current pricing, and the Gold is, well, very expensive.

Good comment, I agree whole heartedly. 

May 9, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #1,350 of 5,932

You know, it's funny... the first headphones I bought were the Mad Dog Pro's from Mr. Speakers for around $450. Then I bought the LCD-X. They cost 3.5 times more. But they sure do not sound 3.5 times better. Now, when I listen to them I hear just how much better the LCD-X is and it is considerably better. Still it is not 350% better.

I'd gladly forego 5% or so for the more than 6 times the Gold costs over the Carbon if that's all I would be missing. And I guess that's my question. I could put the difference I would pay for the amp into a good dac - maybe the Yggy. Maybe I'd be all set.

Just hate to spend another $600 before reaching my end game (probably a mythical concept). 

I do believe getting the LC should be a big step up from my Asgard 2. And I will bet it will be in the same category as the Ragnarok if you take out the extras for driving speakers and just use it for headphones, but I don't know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back