☯️ Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp???
Apr 19, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #813 of 5,932
Well, I'm looking at a $50 Furman power conditioner for surge protection and AC filtering, since I do notice ground loops every so often and dang they get annoying.
For pieces to make a nice headphone cable I keep ending up at Cardas. Made in USA at least, but the prices on the cables themselves are scaring me. I'm still doing my research and I'm having fun with it, but there are so many more paths to take than when I was just looking at headphones and amps at first. I gotta get to know these companies 'fore I get anything.
I'm glad to get back into this whole detective fling, especially when I get to make a big discovery. Budget end-game setup is coming along!

If you're scared now wait until you start looking at the Abysse or a Stax Omega. Plunking your hard earned bones on a system to drive those will give you a heart attack.

Let's see, I still need a power conditioner, DAC, some interconnects, another balanced cable for my T50rp Paradox, a 1/8 SE adapter for when I decide to use my other amps, and someone willing to buy my kidney. Any suggestions on what I should look at next guys? Maybe grab the balanced headphone cable for my Paradox and the SE adapter next month? From there over the next 2 months I could maybe get the interconnects and hopefully my gear will have sold by then meaning I could invest in a proper conditioner and DAC? I'm hesitant to get the interconnects because I'm still not sure what DAC ill wind up with. The Chord 2Cute looks real nice but it's almost freaking 2 grand USD.

Is that kidney the single end or the balanced version? :D

Apr 19, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #814 of 5,932
I do know there is a movement of some sort preferring NOS DAC's for more "analog" sound.

Apr 19, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #816 of 5,932
Is this new amp completely silent even with a high sensitive CIEM?

I listened to the amp with my Roxanne's (Single Ended) and there was noise at low level. It was not dead quiet for me... YMMV
Alex said that the balanced output would be much better for sensitive in ears. He let me listen to his modded balanced ety's (not sure of model) the amp was quiet with them.

The portable amp AKA the "silver one" was dead quiet with my Rox. very nice amp and I will be getting one of them also when it comes out.

Apr 19, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #817 of 5,932
Did anyone get a chance to listen to this amp with any of the AK daps. Can't seem to find a good "transportable" DAC to match the carbon (that doesn't cost an arm and a leg) and was wondering how AK products as source sounded with it.

Apr 19, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #818 of 5,932
  I listened to the amp with my Roxanne's (Single Ended) and there was noise at low level. It was not dead quiet for me... YMMV
Alex said that the balanced output would be much better for sensitive in ears. He let me listen to his modded balanced ety's (not sure of model) the amp was quiet with them.

The portable amp AKA the "silver one" was dead quiet with my Rox. very nice amp and I will be getting one of them also when it comes out.

As per earlier comments, the amp is quieter out of the balanced outs. I believe that few will hear noise from the bal out. And, depending on sensitivity, many should be quiet from the SE out, but not all.

I'm actually noodling on some ways to lower the noise from the SE out, but this is difficult for the really sensitive IEMs.

The Etys were ER4s.

Apr 19, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #819 of 5,932

Will the portable also be balanced?

I noticed the prototype had dual 3.5mm outputs.

Apr 19, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #820 of 5,932
Someone just posted a cheap power conditioner on the deals thread, if folks are still looking.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/692119/the-deals-discussion-thread-read-the-first-post/14160#post_11525128

Apr 19, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #821 of 5,932
If you're scared now wait until you start looking at the Abysse or a Stax Omega. Plunking your hard earned bones on a system to drive those will give you a heart attack.

Let's see, I still need a power conditioner, DAC, some interconnects, another balanced cable for my T50rp Paradox, a 1/8 SE adapter for when I decide to use my other amps, and someone willing to buy my kidney. Any suggestions on what I should look at next guys? Maybe grab the balanced headphone cable for my Paradox and the SE adapter next month? From there over the next 2 months I could maybe get the interconnects and hopefully my gear will have sold by then meaning I could invest in a proper conditioner and DAC? I'm hesitant to get the interconnects because I'm still not sure what DAC ill wind up with. The Chord 2Cute looks real nice but it's almost freaking 2 grand USD.

Anything over $1k I can admire, but I've no drive to spend that kind of money on audio equipment until I get into speakers. :p

Power conditioner shouldn't be too 'spensive, so long as you don't want all kinds of bells and whistles. Interconnects and cables can be cheaper if you make em yourself, but if not, Emotiva sells sub $100 products that are reasonably built.

Apr 19, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #822 of 5,932

Yeah at that price, I'd sooner just grab a used Hugo for $2k...  

Personally, I'm on a vintage DAC kick right now.  I have two vintage DAC's right now, one was under $100 before shipping (Adcom GDA-600) and one was $325 before shipping (Theta Basic II).  Both beat any Sabre DAC I've ever heard.  I find it hard to recommend anything else to folks just now, but I admit I'm still in the honeymoon period.  I'll give it a month or two and see if I'm still gaga over it.  lol

I agree. Some of the old flagship stand alone DACs still really hold their own from awhile back, and can be found at really good prices now. 

Apr 19, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #824 of 5,932
Someone just posted a cheap power conditioner on the deals thread, if folks are still looking.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/692119/the-deals-discussion-thread-read-the-first-post/14160#post_11525128

Before buying this unit I would recommend reading the Amazon review written By h,s - December 28, 2014 to gain an understanding of how it actually works. Tripp Lite's description leads you to believe you'll always be getting 120V out, yet it seems the output will vary between 103 - 127V depending on the input voltage.

My guess it's not a bad product per se, but that this is just the level of performance available in this price range.

The sale price seems great, just know what you're getting for your money.

Apr 19, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #825 of 5,932
Before buying this unit I would recommend reading the Amazon review written By h,s - December 28, 2014 to gain an understanding of how it actually works. Tripp Lite's description leads you to believe you'll always be getting 120V out, yet it seems the output will vary between 103 - 127V depending on the input voltage.

My guess it's not a bad product per se, but that this is just the level of performance available in this price range.

The sale price seems great, just know what you're getting for your money.

Yeah, I'm still researching.  You can find that Monster 1800 on eBay for $120 shipped, brand new in box.  I think that might be a better unit, but more research...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back