☯️ Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp???
Jan 14, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #5,371 of 5,932
I don
i doubt leaving a headphones plug in would hurt the burn in either.

I'm sure you're right.  But I bet that the good Dr. didn't want to deal with blown transducers of an HD800 or HE1000 or LCD-3, if the Liquid Carbon were to fail "dramatically"....

Jan 14, 2016 at 11:46 PM Post #5,372 of 5,932
I'm sure you're right.  But I bet that the good Dr. didn't want to deal with blown transducers of an HD800 or HE1000 or LCD-3, if the Liquid Carbon were to fail "dramatically"....

Exactly.

Jan 15, 2016 at 1:00 AM Post #5,373 of 5,932
I originally had one of the last 20 units, but since they were delayed for so long Cavalli offered me another amp (serial number in the 300's). They said they inspected it before they shipped it. By the time I received it I had already decided to go with another amp instead so I immediately sold it without opening it.

Now the user who bought it from me is saying there is massive channel imbalance and after speaking to Cavalli they agree that the amp has an issue (they say a few other amps have had similar issues so they know what to fix already). So now the user has to send it back and wait to get the amp back. I'm curious as to why that wasn't noticed when they supposedly inspected it?

Anyway, I know none of this is technically Cavalli's fault but IMO he should never deal with this manufacturer again. He should either find a new one or stick to making amps in-house. All conjecture at this point though.

Jan 15, 2016 at 1:21 AM Post #5,374 of 5,932
I originally had one of the last 20 units, but since they were delayed for so long Cavalli offered me another amp (serial number in the 300's). They said they inspected it before they shipped it. By the time I received it I had already decided to go with another amp instead so I immediately sold it without opening it.

Now the user who bought it from me is saying there is massive channel imbalance and after speaking to Cavalli they agree that the amp has an issue (they say a few other amps have had similar issues so they know what to fix already). So now the user has to send it back and wait to get the amp back. I'm curious as to why that wasn't noticed when they supposedly inspected it?

Anyway, I know none of this is technically Cavalli's fault but IMO he should never deal with this manufacturer again. He should either find a new one or stick to making amps in-house. All conjecture at this point though.

I had one of these problem units. The imbalance/distortion did not develop until several hours into burn in, so it's likely the unit was inspected fine at the time, and the problem revealed itself later. Good news is that the repaired unit sound ds great at 200 hours, and seems to be improving still.

Jan 15, 2016 at 4:24 AM Post #5,375 of 5,932

It's upsetting when this happens in a private sale. I had it recently with a DAC I sold on unopened. The buyer found a tiny blemish on the front panel and rejected it, which meant a lot of wasted postage costs on both sides.

I think Cavalli has made fairly clear that he will be having no more dealings with this manufacturer. In fact, I wonder whether his recent silence on the matter might indicate that the relationship is now in the hands of lawyers.

I just hope that we don't suffer any longer term reliability problems with the 'good' amps. I've got to the stage where I'd miss mine badly if I had to return it for any repair  
redface.gif

Jan 15, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #5,376 of 5,932

I have one of those amps with distortion on the volume knob. I e-mailed Alex and he promised to cover shipping both ways. He received the amp and has fixed it and I'm waiting for it to be sent back to me. Once I receive the amp, I'll burn it in again and see if the problem has gone away completely.

Jan 15, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #5,377 of 5,932
How do I find out if I have channel imbalance or distortion? I'm only able to use it single ended so I can't test it balanced yet. With 3x gain I hear the music very slightly with the volume on zero. With 1x gain I hear nothing on zero though. 

Jan 15, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #5,378 of 5,932
I have one of the last to be sent out.  MY Serial number is 325.  My orignal order was 482 I think. 

I have been running my amp no stop from januray 8th.  Balanced only on 3x gain.  I do not have any issue with my amp.

I have tried SE and it sounds blanced and really good also.

With Alpha primes and HE560's.

I was one of the people who got the email for a replacement inspected by cavalli audio.  So far so good!!

musicguy

Jan 15, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #5,379 of 5,932
How do I find out if I have channel imbalance or distortion? I'm only able to use it single ended so I can't test it balanced yet. With 3x gain I hear the music very slightly with the volume on zero. With 1x gain I hear nothing on zero though. 

I'd put this in the "if it sounds good, it is good" category. If I think there is a channel imbalance, I usually will listen to something mono-if the signal is off to one side or another, something could be off (mono should image dead center for all instruments/vocals).
This helpful post by Joe Bloggs has a more scientific way to evaluate this, I've downloaded the software, but haven't tried it myself (he was responding to by bellyaching about a ciem that has given me channel balance problems on The Discovery Thread).

Joe Bloggs

Sponsor: FiiO
His Porta Corda walked the Green Mile.

8,340 Posts. Joined 10/2001

You just need to pick up Sinegen and run sine sweeps with the CIEMs in your ear. Beats any external measurement system every time. Picks up your own fit issues as well as driver problems. (of course, the two would get conflated in the output, but fiddling with the fit yourself quickly rules out #1)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bp4dwqfv1qtdx38/SineGen.zip?dl=0
Edited by Joe Bloggs - Yesterday at 12:10 am

Jan 15, 2016 at 2:04 PM Post #5,380 of 5,932
I also have channel imbalance . There is also a slight hum on no volume. Tried four pair of headphones and all the same:worried:
Will contact Cavalli and see what they say?
This is after 50-60?hours burn in. Wasn't there at the start.
Bummer this as really started to sound good.

Jan 15, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #5,382 of 5,932

Unless the volume of your left and right channels are way off it's unlikely that you have a channel imbalance.

It's not abnormal to hear some volume with the knob at zero with 3x gain on. IIRC, I believe the volume level at "0" with 3x gain active would be about 63db below full-blown source volume. It may help you to think of the volume knob as turning your source down as you turn from right to left. 

If I understand correctly, the volume range goes something like this:

1X (no gain)
-78db from source volume TO about 98% of your source's volume output.

3X (+15db gain boost applied)
-63db from source volume TO about 98% of your source's output plus 15db.

Jan 15, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #5,383 of 5,932
I am the the buyer of Maconi's unopened LC....I do not blame Maconi he is a gentleman and Cavalli responded immediately to the situation and the amp is on the way back to him .......to describe the problem, when i listened to my balanced cans through the LC the sound was primarily coming through the right channel with the left channel barely audible and the music sounded completely off...it was as if i was only hearing a portion of the music and it was simply out of phase or balance being the best way to describe it....I went back and forth between the LC and the mojo without the LC and it was like night and day with the LC impossible to listen to.....immediately it was apparent there was something wrong and after i exhausted every possibility of cable or source or power cord issues i contacted Cavalli and hopefully when it is returned to me all is well......it is however quite frustrating

Jan 19, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #5,384 of 5,932
Wow these units are having tons of issues. 

When I got mine it had distortion like white noise playing. I sent it back to get fixed and it sounded great. Then last night when I went to listen to music, apart from me even considering if there is channel imbalance I am getting this distortion throughout my unit. It sounds pretty bad. I am currently asking for a refund because I do not want to ship it back again if it messes up. I just want my funds back. 

Jan 19, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #5,385 of 5,932
  Wow these units are having tons of issues. 

When I got mine it had distortion like white noise playing. I sent it back to get fixed and it sounded great. Then last night when I went to listen to music, apart from me even considering if there is channel imbalance I am getting this distortion throughout my unit. It sounds pretty bad. I am currently asking for a refund because I do not want to ship it back again if it messes up. I just want my funds back. 

Have you emailed Alex ? Are they ok with it ? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back