☯️ Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp???
Apr 13, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #182 of 5,932
  May I ask the specifics about the power supply used in this amp?

It is a custom designed SMPS that provides +/-15V rails. What else would you like to know??
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 13, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #183 of 5,932

It is a custom designed SMPS that provides +/-15V rails. What else would you like to know??
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, my concern is being able to implement a high quality PSU in such a small chasis where space is at a premium. Is this a PSU that you've used in other amps?

Apr 13, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #184 of 5,932
It is similar to a PSU used in other audio equipment, but never in mine until now. As for size, the PSU takes up almost the entire back half of the amp. Not quite, but close. The actual amp sections are small. Jude showed some photos in his pre-CanJam video.

Its design is fairly standard.

Apr 13, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #186 of 5,932
I am rooting for this amp to sell out in 5 minutes or less :). I'm placing an order for two, one for me, one for CEE TEE. Perfect bedside size for my nightstand.

Apr 13, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #187 of 5,932
Apologies for the simple question but, I've only seen pics of the amp so far and the spec sheet isn't final.

Also, the liquid carbon in Jude's video has high and low 3.5mm outputs but the current pics show a 6.35mm one. I'm concerned that the input/output jacks could change again before release.

I need to confirm that the rear balanced inputs and front balanced output (the larger one) are standard female 3-pin and 4-pin xlr?

Apr 13, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #188 of 5,932
The jacks on Jude's proto were an earlier version and my best guess at what I thought people would want. But after a fair amount of feedback we changed the jack configuration to what you see now and what was at CanJam. I don't expect that any jack that is on there now will go away. If possible, I may add one more, but space on the board is currently at a high premium.

There are two 3 pin XLR jacks for the balanced in. There is one pair of RCA jacks for one of the SE inputs. There is one 3.5mm jack for the other SE in. The RCA and 3.5mm are connected together so there is really only one SE input and there is one balanced input, switchable at the front panel.

There is one standard 4 Pin XLR balanced output jack. There is one RSA type balanced output jack. There is one 1/4" (6.35mm) Single Ended output jack.

See discussions above for the difference in running Balanced out or SE out.

Apr 13, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #189 of 5,932
  The jacks on Jude's proto were an earlier version and my best guess at what I thought people would want. But after a fair amount of feedback we changed the jack configuration to what you see now and what was at CanJam. I don't expect that any jack that is on there now will go away. If possible, I may add one more, but space on the board is currently at a high premium.

There are two 3 pin XLR jacks for the balanced in. There is one pair of RCA jacks for one of the SE inputs. There is one 3.5mm jack for the other SE in. The RCA and 3.5mm are connected together so there is really only one SE input and there is one balanced input, switchable at the front panel.

There is one standard 4 Pin XLR balanced output jack. There is one RSA type balanced output jack. There is one 1/4" (6.35mm) Single Ended output jack.

See discussions above for the difference in running Balanced out or SE out.

Thanks for the fast response.

I'm planning to go balanced and get the most out of my future equipment but the list of balanced connectors keeps growing.

Custom cables for each of my headphones would be too expensive so I plan to try some standard xlr adapters.

Is there any risk of damage to the amp or headphones if the pin wiring isn't exact?

Apr 13, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #190 of 5,932

I'm planning to go balanced and get the most out of my future equipment but the list of balanced connectors keeps growing.

Custom cables for each of my headphones would be too expensive so I plan to try some standard xlr adapters.

Is there any risk of damage to the amp or headphones if the pin wiring isn't exact?

Depending on how many cables you need, it might be cheaper (and more fun!) to get some soldering gear instead and make your own.  I started down that road recently and it's been very rewarding.  Now I look forward to getting new headphones with no balanced cable.  :wink:

Apr 13, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #191 of 5,932
  Depending on how many cables you need, it might be cheaper (and more fun!) to get some soldering gear instead and make your own.  I started down that road recently and it's been very rewarding.  Now I look forward to getting new headphones with no balanced cable.  :wink:

Still have a decent soldering gun but my soldering skills aren't quite what they were 20yrs ago.

Just searching for creative ways to get balanced out from my PM-3 and Z7 without breaking the bank (Sony's balanced cable won't work with the carbon and haven't seen a dual 3.5mm to 4-pin xlr yet). That money will be going towards amps/headphones anyway.

SE out is ok too (got a pure silver one for the Z7) but it'd be nice to go balanced if I can to maximize return on quality sound.

Apr 13, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #192 of 5,932

Still have a decent soldering gun but my soldering skills aren't quite what they were 20yrs ago.

Just searching for creative ways to get balanced out from my PM-3 and Z7 without breaking the bank (Sony's balanced cable won't work with the carbon and haven't seen a dual 3.5mm to 4-pin xlr yet). That money will be going towards amps/headphones anyway.

SE out is ok too (got a pure silver one for the Z7) but it'd be nice to go balanced if I can to maximize return on quality sound.

If you have a balanced cable for the Z7, you could snip the ends and rewire it to XLR.  XLR is the easy mode soldering.  :-D

Apr 13, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #193 of 5,932

Yes there is. Sometimes the 4 Pin connector on headphones is wired for only 3 Pin operation (SE mode). This was more common a few years back, but still sometimes happens. What this does is to connect the negative outputs from the two balanced amps together thinking that they are the ground wires. This could damage the amps. Although if you don't run the volume too high everything can handle it for a while.

If you stick with well understood adapters you shouldn't have any problems.

Apr 13, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #194 of 5,932

If you have a balanced cable for the Z7, you could snip the ends and rewire it to XLR.  XLR is the easy mode soldering.  :-D

Yeah, I thought of modding the stock balanced cable but (again, maybe I think too far ahead) wanted to keep it stock in case I get my hands on a Pono player or maybe even a cheap PHA-3 in the future.

Wish I could spring for something like this:
http://www.doublehelixcables.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=171&zenid=ce80e4527ba576acd7f7c92b082d39c6

ultra-collection1.jpg

But, at $350 for the basic set (doesn't have all the connectors I believe), I'm better off upgrading to a higher amp or headphone.

Apr 13, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #195 of 5,932
I'm curious how many people getting this amp have or will soon have a balanced ended headphone. Considering what Alex said earlier, it'd be wasted on single ended phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back