☯️ CAVALLI AUDIO ➜ The Liquid Carbon Upgrade Guide & Impressions Tour
Apr 10, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #241 of 423
  Hi All. I am considering upgrading to a Glass and I have a question... when using the pre-amp does the signal go through the tubes like the headphone amp section?

Here's the answer from Dr. Cavalli:

"Yes, it comes from the headphone output through a small noise reduction circuit.  The loop out is wired directly to the input jack."

He then went on to tell me some technical stuff amounting to how the noise reduction circuit also changes the impedance from less than 1ohm in the headphone circuit to a few hundred for the preamp.

Apr 10, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #242 of 423

"Yes, it comes from the headphone output through a small noise reduction circuit.  The loop out is wired directly to the input jack."

He then went on to tell me some technical stuff amounting to how the noise reduction circuit also changes the impedance from less than 1ohm in the headphone circuit to a few hundred for the preamp.

I hope the upcoming LW (Tungsten) has both pre out and loop out, as this would increase its versatility for a deskside system with ext speakers.

Apr 10, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #243 of 423

A Liquid Glass + Vinyl + Orthos. A highly recommended combo. Unbelievably intense listening experience!!

Apr 10, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #245 of 423

Different record. Different tubes. Same result.

Mind blown.

Apr 10, 2016 at 11:29 PM Post #246 of 423

Thank you! The Glass seems to be the more versatile one with the preamp and the switch for it in the front panel. I haven't found my "tube" self but this is very tempting... in the other side is the Gold... tough choices. I guess I still have a few days to think about it. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 12, 2016 at 3:37 AM Post #247 of 423

Hello here is a little mini review on Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon and how it compares to its big brothers, the Liquid Crimson, Liquid Glass and Liquid Gold.   Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon is a a very nice, balanced  amp that introduces one to the Cavalli  house sound.  For this mini-review, I primarily used the following 3 headphones 1)  MrSpeakers ETHER C, 2) Hifiman HE1000, and 3) Sennheiser HD 800. These headphones were used through the following rig: MacBook Pro>Tidal>Yggdrasil> Cavalli Liquid amps
The bass,  on the LC, is very nice, with good slam and presence. For instance, in  Frank Zappa's  Republican, the bass on the guitars is deep, and this track sounds ominous.    Furthermore the bass does not leak out into the mids.  Likewise the mids are pretty sweet and detailed sounding.   The instruments sound real and the vocals are slightly forward sounding.  Babooska by Kate Bush sounds quite good through the LC.   The sound-stage is nice, with good imaging and transparency.  This amazing little amp is powerful and it could easily run any headphone in my collection.   MrSpeakers ETHER C  sounds good through the LC, with the  volume at 9 a clock. The   HIfiman HE 1000 sounded quite nice, with good bass and mids.   The HD800 sounded pretty good, though the soundstage seemed slightly constrained. Overall the Liquid Carbon is a good sounding, balanced amp that can drive  any headphone I have in my collection.
The Liquid Crimson a good sounding tube hybrid, non balanced amp.  The bass is powerful, with a textured presence .  Yet the bass is controlled and does not muddy up the very lush, yet revealing mids.  Furthermore the mids,  on the liquid Crimson, are detailed, transparent and revealing .  Jazz, blues and rock all sound great trough the Crimson. Dave Bruebeck's  Take five sounds so real, its like being in a jazz club.   The ETHER C really sound good through the Crimson.  For example,  the bass  has this slam to it, that gets my foot pumping. likewise the vocals sound ever so sweet to listen too. The soundstage on the Crimson is nice and wide as well as detailed.  Because the soundstage is detailed, it has a nice three-dimensional quality to it.
Frank Zappa's  Uncle Remus sounds great through the ETHER C.  The ETHER C really likes to be driven by the Liquid Crimson.  The bass, detailed, sweet mids all are complimented by the sonic qualities of the Crimson.   Likewise the HE1000 really sounds good through the Crimson.  The bass has nice slam and the mids are sweet,  transparently detailed and revealing.  Finally the legendary HD800 sounds very good through the Crimson, the bass is powerful, tight and textured.  The mids are lush, with good resolving detail. 
The Liquid Glass is great sounding hybrid, non balanced amp, that uses two tubes.  The sound signature on this magical amp can be easily tweaked, by rolling an amazing assortments of tubes.   I have heard of people spend
ing more on tubes, than the cost of the Liquid Glass.   The bass is just great sounding on the Liquid Glass withs lots of good slam, detail and presence.   And the bass is tightly controlled and does not muddy up the ever so sweet, lush, detailed transparent mids.   The mids on the magical sounding Glass are so sweet and lush sounding.  However the mids are revealingly detailed and transparent, yet the sound is ever musical sounding.  Furthermore the soundstage is quite large, very detailed and three-dimensional, holographic sounding.
The ETHER C sounds magical on the Glass. The bass is tight with great slam.  The mids are sweet and lush with great detail.  The HE1000 sounds great on the liquid Glass.  The bass has such good slam and presence. furthermore the mids are very sweet and detailed sounding.  Finally The HD800  sounds bloody great, being driven by the liquid glass.  The bass has good slam and  presence to it .  Likewise the mids are very sweet and detailed sounding.
The Liquid Gold is a fantastic sounding balanced amp.  The bass is the best i have eve heard from a solid-state amp. To my ears the liquid gold almost sounds like a tube amp.  The bass is so powerful, yet tightly controlled.  The bass does not ever muddy or intrude upon the the sweet lush, extremely detailed and transparent mids.   The mids are so so sweet and lush sounding, yet the mids are very detailed and transparent.  Because the mids are exceedingly detailed and transparent, the sound stage is very large, and three-dimensionally  holographic.
The ETHER C sounds magical being driven by the LAU. The bass is spot on perfect .  The  mids are detailed yet sweet and lush.  I feel I never heard the ETHER C sound so good.  The HE !000 also sounded devine through this amazing amp.  The bass has such great slam and presence to it. likewise the mids are lush and ever so detailed sounding.   Finally the HD800 never sounded so good, when driven by the mighty liquid Gold.   The bass is tight and powerful which never intrudes upon the very musical, lush, natural,  detailed sounding  mids.  A HD 800 driven by the Liquid LAU , gave me goose bumps, when I listened to the music.
I highly recommend the Cavalli Audio headphone amps.  The Liquid Carbon is good,  but its bigger brothers are better and really make the headphones sound fabalous.

Apr 12, 2016 at 7:55 AM Post #248 of 423
Nicely written, @Reddog, you recovered well from the technical meltdown. But, tell me, I couldn't tell, do you LIKE Cavalli gear??? :D

Apr 12, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #249 of 423
Nicely written, @Reddog, you recovered well from the technical meltdown. But, tell me, I couldn't tell, do you LIKE Cavalli gear??? :D

I do love my Liquid Glass however I was blown away by the Liquid Gold. The holographic, three-dimensional soundstage, with its fantastic detail, just made the music magical. Plus I had never heard my headphones sound so great. Might have to sell some gear, perhaps a kidney and my soul to pay for the heavenly Liquid Gold lol.:)

Apr 12, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #250 of 423

I do love my Liquid Glass however I was blown away by the Liquid Gold. The holographic, three-dimensional soundstage, with its fantastic detail, just made the music magical. Plus I had never heard my headphones sound so great. Might have to sell some gear, perhaps a kidney and my soul to pay for the heavenly Liquid Gold lol.:)

Sounds like I may have to meet you at The Crossroads, our souls for gear...

Apr 12, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #251 of 423
  Hello here is a little mini review on Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon and how it compares to its big brothers, the Liquid Crimson, Liquid Glass and Liquid Gold.   

Thanks for the great write up, RedDog.

Did you happen to test the Carbon with different power cables? Any thoughts on if a $100 cable can make any significant difference in sound quality? Other reputable folks have stated this on this thread, and I'm curious as to your opinion or testing results. 

Thanks,

Allan

Apr 12, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #252 of 423
Thanks for the great write up, RedDog.

Did you happen to test the Carbon with different power cables? Any thoughts on if a $100 cable can make any significant difference in sound quality? Other reputable folks have stated this on this thread, and I'm curious as to your opinion or testing results. 

Thanks,

Allan

I use average power cables. I am not wealthy enough for custom power cables. Perhaps once I have a full time job, I will be able to.

Apr 12, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #254 of 423
True dat, the science police come out :mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back