☯️ CAVALLI AUDIO ➜ Liquid Carbon Final Production Run!
Oct 22, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #991 of 1,260
I just got my new DAC today so spend a lot of time with my Carbon v.2. I played with the inputs, gain, and volume a lot and everything seems perfect to me.

Sorry to hear some have gotten units with some issues, I'm sure Cavalli will make it right for you.

Oct 22, 2016 at 5:51 PM Post #992 of 1,260
I just got my new DAC today so spend a lot of time with my Carbon v.2. I played with the inputs, gain, and volume a lot and everything seems perfect to me.

Sorry to hear some have gotten units with some issues, I'm sure Cavalli will make it right for you.

What DAC did you end up getting?

Oct 22, 2016 at 8:27 PM Post #994 of 1,260
  Feel free to disagree with me but if you were blindfolded  and had a test just on how the Pot feels in smoothness and overall feel you would NEVER pick the LC 2. I need more time to see I have a bad

Just sent my LC 2.0 back for a pot replacement, the original produced a scratchy sound on the left channel when adjusting the volume. The two Schiit volume pots I have experience of (Asgard 2 and Jotunheim) are very smooth. In terms of overall sound quality, the fully burned in LC 2.0 sounds deeper, almost as if the playing room was bigger, especially in jazz bass, strings, and cymbals, but the Jotunheim sounds more precise. My wife, who has a better ear than me, said this right away after a couple of minutes listening to each amp through Ether C Flows, even though I hadn't told her which was which. 

Oct 22, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #995 of 1,260

Yes, Alex and company will make it right.  Actually, overall, only a small number of units have had volume pot issues in relation to the entire run.

Oct 23, 2016 at 1:00 AM Post #996 of 1,260

I did not know the second run LC came with 1 year warranty instead of lifetime...
This is a big minus compared to the first run.

To be fair, the biggest warranty issue was the original power supply.  The second run guys have an improved power supply, right out of the gate...

Where did they say that the warranty on the new units would only be a year?  I too thought these would also come with a lifetime warranty.    These two posts are the first I've seen about the warranty being reduced.  Lifetime warranty was a major factor in my decision to purchase.

From the first post in this thread, the only mention of warranty I saw:

Since that day, many of our Liquid Carbons have gone on to serve their owners faithfully and well, covered by our lifetime warranty.  Others have traded hands a few times, as those who missed out on the initial production run eagerly sought to get their hands (and ears) on a Liquid Carbon.

Oct 23, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #997 of 1,260
Regarding the burn-in process:  Is this something that is detailed in the packaging/instructions?   If not, would someone please be so kind as to give details of how to properly do the burn in?  (Music playing?  Headphones Connected?  What volume? How long?  etc.)

Mine should arrive today so I'm eager to get started on burn-in.

Oct 23, 2016 at 1:47 AM Post #998 of 1,260
  Regarding the burn-in process:  Is this something that is detailed in the packaging/instructions?   If not, would someone please be so kind as to give details of how to properly do the burn in?  (Music playing?  Headphones Connected?  What volume? How long?  etc.)

​There's not really a set way to go about it. I think if you want to be at all scientific about it, connect it up with a headphone and play pink noise through it for a while. You can find and loop pink noise on youtube.

I once read from a manufacturer that if something was ever going to break on an electronic the vast majority of the problems show up early in the devices life. I ran mine with music over night and have used it a few hr a day for a week and I'm pretty confident I'm good to go.

Oct 23, 2016 at 2:32 AM Post #1,000 of 1,260
  Thanks Muinarc, how long do you suggest?

​Well I'm not a big believer in amp break in beyond normal use or an overnight marathon to heat everything up and expose any faults. If you subscribe to burning in wires and stuff I see 100 hours (4 days) tossed around a lot lol.

I ran my amp with music on loop over night at a "loud" level ( too loud to actually listen to a whole album) and called it a day.

Oct 23, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #1,001 of 1,260
How about we ask the manufacturer?

Amplifier Break-In
Your Liquid Carbon® amplifier has been tested before leaving the factory, but has very few hours on it. Most amplifiers need at least 150 hours of continuous use, playing music, to reach their full sound signatures. We recommend about the same for the Liquid Carbon®.
You can, when you’re not listening, you leave the amp on continuously with your source in loop mode for enough hours to reach the 150 hour point. It is not necessary to leave headphones attached. In fact, we recommend that you disconnect your headphones when not listening during this break-in period.
At this point - and not before this point – will the amplifier reach the level of performance enabling you to accurately judge its sound quality and to determine whether it meets your critical listening standard.
Before you judge the sound quality of the amp please follow this procedure!

Oct 23, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #1,002 of 1,260
Thanks for the quote from the manual. :)  I'll follow that.   I finally got my hands on my LC today and so just saw the link to the manual in the box:  https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1155/5966/files/manual.pdf

I've started the break-in period, currently with headphones connected, but will remove them at bedtime.  I find it quite strange to think the amp would be doing anything with no heaphones connected, but I'm assuming Cavalli knows what they are talking about.   :wink:

I have no noise from the volume knob (scratching or zero-volume music bleed) on mine.  I also was pleasantly surprised with the feel of the volume knob, I was expecting a ****ty plastic thing based on the earlier posts, but mine feels just fine.    

On a side note, I like the NRG-X3, its a nice touch.  The T shirt is good quality too.

Can't wait to have some time to really test the LC out.

Oct 23, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #1,003 of 1,260
Most amps & DACs take roughly 150-200 hours to burn in. I've found that if you run the equipment for about 7 consecutive days, it is usually fully baked at that point.

Not sure if pink noise is really any more effective than music, especially if you are just looping in a long playlist of songs. I would be inclined to think, if anything, music would be more effective, as you have a wide range of dynamic voltages. There are lots of different philosophies on this, by all means, subscribe to whichever theory you like.

It is absolutely acceptable to burn in the amp without having headphones connected. If you do leave headphones connected, however, they should be balanced, not single ended. The reason for this is that the single-ended connection will only engage two out of the four op amps inside (L+ and R+), so the op amps for the negative phases will not actually burn-in. If you've already started burn-in with a single ended headphone, I'd recommend restarting the burn-in process to get those negative phase amps burned-in.

Oct 23, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #1,004 of 1,260

Discussed in the online manual
Your Liquid Carbon® amplifier has been tested before leaving the factory, but has very few hours on it. Most amplifiers need at least 150 hours of continuous use, playing music, to reach their full sound signatures. We recommend about the same for the Liquid Carbon®. You can, when you’re not listening, you leave the amp on continuously with your source in loop mode for enough hours to reach the 150 hour point. It is not necessary to leave headphones attached. In fact, we recommend that you disconnect your headphones when not listening during this break-in period. At this point - and not before this point – will the amplifier reach the level of performance enabling you to accurately judge its sound quality and to determine whether it meets your critical listening standard.

Oct 24, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #1,005 of 1,260
got mine today to Ireland, with UK power cord and T-Shirt, nicely packed, Sn# 537, thanks!

do the serial numbers count on from the first run or does the 2nd run start with #1? Just curious

Users who are viewing this thread

Back