☯️ CAVALLI AUDIO ➜ Liquid Carbon Final Production Run!
Oct 20, 2016 at 11:51 PM Post #976 of 1,260
The volume pot on my Carbon was replaced and the amp was shipped out to me today.  I should have it by Wednesday of next week.  Once it's back in my possession I will be putting it through another marathon burn-in session.  My guess is that the first pot failed at some point during the first 40 to 60 hours.  Even though I really don't want it to, I'm kind of curious to see if it happens again.  I agree with the sentiment that's been expressed regarding the amount we paid for these and expecting them not to have problems right out of the gate.  Especially since I recall there being some problems with volume pots during the first run.  I would have made that particular problem a point of emphasis during the second production.

Oct 21, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #977 of 1,260
You shouldn't hear anything.  If the volume pot is working correctly you should not hear music in one or both channels; it's miscalibrated, defective.  I sent mine back to be fixed because I felt I would eventually regret not having it fixed.  Also, I guess for the price and Cavalli's reputation, I should have an amp with no issues.  I've had cheaper amps, Little Dot and Schiit, where I never had any problems, and I thought I shouldn't have any with Cavalli.

FYI, I emailed support and got the following response from Alex:
"yes it is normal to hear some slight music when vol pot is down. This also depends on how high output there is from your source and how sensitive the headphones are. If the sound seems normal as you rotate the pot then all is well."

Oct 21, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #978 of 1,260
Hi Guys!  I wanted to pop in here for a moment to clear up some recent confusion regarding the Liquid Carbon 2.0 bonuses (power cable, Amarra and t-shirt).  Those bonuses were offered to, and reserved for, everybody who placed their orders on or before May 5th-6th (depending on what part of the world you're in) as a special reward for pre-ordering.  Subsequent Liquid Carbon orders did not include that suite of bonuses.  Just wanted to clear that up, thanks guys!  
smile.gif

Regarding Amarra 4, you'll be receiving a joint statement from us and Sonic Studio shortly.  While Amarra 4 was formally announced at RMAF, the actual delivery date is scheduled for the end of the month.  You'll be receiving a confirmation email guaranteeing your license soon, followed by your license key and download instructions about a week afterward, which is - again - towards the end of this month.
beerchug.gif

And finally, should you have any issues with your Carbon, please contact us immediately at info@cavalliaudio.com so that we can get it taken care of right away.  Though the number of defective volume pots in this run is far less than the previous run, they can and do happen, especially with custom-ordered pots.  I know that it can be a frustrating experience... it is for us because these issues often take some time to manifest and don't show up under initial testing.  But we're committed to making sure you're well taken care of.  So please don't hesitate to contact us.  
smile_phones.gif

Oct 21, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #979 of 1,260
I received my LC2 !
Great packaging.

In the process of burn in and 50 hours completed so far.

I hope the LC improves with time and reaches the fidelity of my Upgraded MicroZOTL 2.0

Fingers crossed.

Oct 21, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #980 of 1,260
And finally, should you have any issues with your Carbon, please contact us immediately at info@cavalliaudio.com so that we can get it taken care of right away.  Though the number of defective volume pots in this run is far less than the previous run, they can and do happen, especially with custom-ordered pots.  I know that it can be a frustrating experience... it is for us because these issues often take some time to manifest and don't show up under initial testing.  But we're committed to making sure you're well taken care of.  So please don't hesitate to contact us.

It would be good if you guys provided a clear return for repair process. I went through a several days of messages and waiting (starting from the contact form on your site) until I finally got an email just a few minutes ago agreeing to send me a return label so that my LC 2.0 travels back to Cavalli Audio with the right shipping and insurance. I really like the sound of the LC 2.0, but a scratchy volume pot is something I won't live with in a new $800 item (many years ago I used to build amps as a teenage hobbyist, and my experience with bad pots is that they don't get any better over time).

Oct 21, 2016 at 11:45 PM Post #981 of 1,260
I received my LC2 !
Great packaging.

In the process of burn in and 50 hours completed so far.

I hope the LC improves with time and reaches the fidelity of my Upgraded MicroZOTL 2.0

Fingers crossed.

Edit:

Noticeable difference even with the burn-in not even half way through.
Im glad that I held back on the Flow upgrade to the MrSpeakers Ether as I feel $800 on the LC makes a bigger sound improvement to my rig than the $500 Ether upgrade which I can opt to do before end of this year.

Happy Listening
Aj

Oct 22, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #982 of 1,260
I just got mine a few days ago but due to work I have not really had a chance to give it a solid listening. I CAN tell you this,
the Pot feels TOTALLY cheap and I dislike it immensely. I have a Schiit Lyr 1 that is 4 years old and a Schiit Sys I use right next to it. They both feel 100's of times better.
The LC 2 may be a better sounding amp which I should hear in the end but I can tell you this it just it just feels and oozes a cheap feel.  For the amount of money this costs it just bothers me, tThere is no other way to call it.
I am hoping the long term sound makes me forget the feel but it does not feel HQ at all, it feels scratchy, cheap and an after thought. I may be harsh but if you go back in the thread you can read how I beat myself over this amp vs the Schiit offering.
Maybe I was expecting too much but I would not like to think so. I am doing my best not be harsh but I am disappointed at the moment, I hope in the end the sound overwhelms the scratchy cheap feeling Pot, or just maybe mine is a bad one. I 
have to give it a more thorough listen. 
Feel free to disagree with me but if you were blindfolded  and had a test just on how the Pot feels in smoothness and overall feel you would NEVER pick the LC 2. I need more time to see I have a bad
Pot though....  

Am I the only one with these feelings?

Oct 22, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #983 of 1,260
Kind of glad I have the version 1.  I've had absolutely no problems with it.

Oct 22, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #984 of 1,260
Not received mine...and with so many having the same problem...little wonder why am I not looking forward to this? 
angry_face.gif

Oct 22, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #985 of 1,260
I just got mine a few days ago but due to work I have not really had a chance to give it a solid listening. I CAN tell you this,
the Pot feels TOTALLY cheap and I dislike it immensely. I have a Schiit Lyr 1 that is 4 years old and a Schiit Sys I use right next to it. They both feel 100's of times better.
The LC 2 may be a better sounding amp which I should hear in the end but I can tell you this it just it just feels and oozes a cheap feel.  For the amount of money this costs it just bothers me, tThere is no other way to call it.
I am hoping the long term sound makes me forget the feel but it does not feel HQ at all, it feels scratchy, cheap and an after thought. I may be harsh but if you go back in the thread you can read how I beat myself over this amp vs the Schiit offering.
Maybe I was expecting too much but I would not like to think so. I am doing my best not be harsh but I am disappointed at the moment, I hope in the end the sound overwhelms the scratchy cheap feeling Pot, or just maybe mine is a bad one. I 
have to give it a more thorough listen. 
Feel free to disagree with me but if you were blindfolded  and had a test just on how the Pot feels in smoothness and overall feel you would NEVER pick the LC 2. I need more time to see I have a bad
Pot though....  

Am I the only one with these feelings?

Hi KimbaLion,

I've been building stereo amplifiers and surround iterations in my teens and early 20s.
Thing is this.
It's not the quality of the pot that gives you this feel.
If you put a larger dial/ knob reducing the length of the axle on this same pot, you will get the silky feel.
I believe the pot has a plastic axle for the knob and so it flexes radially. The reason they used this pot could be that to avoid static.

I feel that it all comes down to size and we have seen the LC before we ordered it.
We bought the LC not for aesthetics but the sound.

Happy Listening
Aj

Oct 22, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #986 of 1,260

The LC has a volume knob though, I think we are confusing what device is feeding the other maybe?

Am using LC volume knob. It turns fine, but does not control the volume. It just blasts away at maximum volume and can't be controlled ANY way. Have to shut it down immediately to protect my ears, headphones, and all other equipment. Am connecting the 3.5 cable as instructed to the rear jack provided on the LC. Have contacted Warren at LC for help. He seems very nice, but since it's the weekend, will probably have to wait until Monday to talk to him again. Hope he can resolve this problem for me.

Oct 22, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #987 of 1,260
Hi KimbaLion,

I've been building stereo amplifiers and surround iterations in my teens and early 20s.
Thing is this.
It's not the quality of the pot that gives you this feel.
If you put a larger dial/ knob reducing the length of the axle on this same pot, you will get the silky feel.
I believe the pot has a plastic axle for the knob and so it flexes radially. The reason they used this pot could be that to avoid static.

I feel that it all comes down to size and we have seen the LC before we ordered it.
We bought the LC not for aesthetics but the sound.

Happy Listening
Aj

Like I said I have a Schiit Sys and it has a rather small Pot too but feels better. I will do a lot more listening and such but having owned quite a few small amps over the years and I have never had static etc.
I am not trying to imply there is something wrong with it all. I was not looking at the aesthetics of the LC 2 either. It was about sound etc. I really did not think it was that  huge design issue to make a smooth feeling Pot
That produces no static as I have never had one that did.  Should there be a volume issue or something else that I will contact them, but for now, it's just the feel. I need to work less and spend more time listening! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 22, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #988 of 1,260
Like I said I have a Schiit Sys and it has a rather small Pot too but feels better. I will do a lot more listening and such but having owned quite a few small amps over the years and I have never had static etc.
I am not trying to imply there is something wrong with it all. I was not looking at the aesthetics of the LC 2 either. It was about sound etc. I really did not think it was that  huge design issue to make a smooth feeling Pot
That produces no static as I have never had one that did.  Should there be a volume issue or something else that I will contact them, but for now, it's just the feel. I need to work less and spend more time listening! :)  

I agree to what you are saying.

I have the Schiit Lyr2 and it uses an ALPS pot and feels nice. I have also noticed that the microZOTL uses an ALPS pot form Japan.

There is a lot to choosing a Pottentiometer like linear/ logarithmic resistance and availability.
The resistance is merely printed on a pcb and this print has to wear out smoothly to become dead silent.
A scratchy pot will get better over a few cycles IMHO.

My LC2's pot feels no where close to the above mentioned but gets the job done.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Aj

Oct 22, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #989 of 1,260
Am using LC volume knob. It turns fine, but does not control the volume. It just blasts away at maximum volume and can't be controlled ANY way. Have to shut it down immediately to protect my ears, headphones, and all other equipment. Am connecting the 3.5 cable as instructed to the rear jack provided on the LC. Have contacted Warren at LC for help. He seems very nice, but since it's the weekend, will probably have to wait until Monday to talk to him again. Hope he can resolve this problem for me.

Eww. Looks like the pot failed disconnecting from the shaft or the knob went loose.

That's one early failure considering the fact that we would love to live with our LCs for eternity.

Doesn't bother me as I can swap pots myself if it eventually fails (out of warranty).

Aj

Oct 22, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #990 of 1,260
I have had my new LC for more than two weeks its all burned in and it functions perfectly.  I'm using it with Mr.Speakers Ether C and I must say that the sound is truly lovely. The volume knob functions with out problem.  There is no balance problem that  I can detect.  When it is turned down there is no bleed through on either channel. 

There is no static on any setting I have tried. 

I believe that Warren and the guys at Cavalli will surely handle any problem that is encountered.  Remember that most of the companies in our hobby are small businesses and work very hard to bring us special items. Some times things don't go 100% correctly in small batch production.

In spite of long wait and delayed delivery  IMHO they have given us a product offering of great value.  I think the LC punches far above its price point in performance.

Be kind and understanding and I'm sure you will be satisfied.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back