☯️ CAVALLI AUDIO ➜ Liquid Carbon Final Production Run!
Nov 16, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #1,081 of 1,260

For the price the Mojo rocks. You'd probably have to spend at least double or 3x the price of the Mojo to hear improvement. 

But both LC AND mojo are a bit on "the dark side"... I am testing the duo as I write and comparing to the Hugo.

Nov 16, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #1,082 of 1,260
  But both LC AND mojo are a bit on "the dark side"... I am testing the duo as I write and comparing to the Hugo.

LC I would agree. Mojo, I wouldn't agree. It's quite natural, yes, but not dark. Highs are very right and natural. 

Nov 17, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #1,085 of 1,260
  It does sound good with the Mojo. Just would like to see  how the LC sounds balanced.

It won't be tons different (slight) since the LC nicely converts a single-ended input to balanced.

Nov 17, 2016 at 11:56 PM Post #1,086 of 1,260
  It does sound good with the Mojo. Just would like to see  how the LC sounds balanced.

It won't be tons different (slight) since the LC nicely converts a single-ended input to balanced.

Have to agree with @Mediahound here - I found the difference between SE and balanced input on the LC to be rather subtle, but noticeable. It's less of a difference than say, what I heard between the balanced and SE inputs of the Jotunheim. I don't think you're missing out on too much if you just use the SE input of the LC.

I think it also comes down to how well the DAC implements both its SE and balanced outputs - with some, you'll probably hear a bigger difference but with others, probably not.

Nov 20, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #1,087 of 1,260
Question, is it at all harmful to have a source playing through the LC but with the volume on the LC all the way down?

I do this often for when I want to switch to listening to speakers, but don't want to turn the LC off. My DAC continues to output a signal through the XLR's into the LC in this case. 

Nov 20, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #1,088 of 1,260
  Question, is it at all harmful to have a source playing through the LC but with the volume on the LC all the way down?

I do this often for when I want to switch to listening to speakers, but don't want to turn the LC off. My DAC continues to output a signal through the XLR's into the LC in this case. 

Not harmful at all. Switching electronic devices on and off does more potential harm than leaving them running.

Nov 22, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #1,089 of 1,260
Hi guys, I've got an update on the Amarra 4 software for you!  
smile.gif

They are currently fixing the last significant issues that have been identified by the beta testing team over the course of the past few weeks.  They now expect to have a public build ready for release on Black Friday.  Once it's ready, everybody will be sent their download instructions and license keys.

In the meantime, they have offered to include all of you (our LC 2.0 customers) as part of the beta team, should you want a sneak preview of what's to come.  If any of you are interested in trying out the latest beta, please PM me and I'll help get you set-up with them.

Thanks!

Dec 5, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #1,090 of 1,260
If I am going to be running through the balanced output, if there any reason to get the 2.0 instead of the 1.0 if the only difference if lower noise floor through the SE output. Also I have heard that you can use the bal output even if you are inputing non balanced. If you can't this is fine because I will be upgrading my dac to a fully balanced setup soon anyway. Thanks

Dec 5, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #1,091 of 1,260
If I am going to be running through the balanced output, if there any reason to get the 2.0 instead of the 1.0 if the only difference if lower noise floor through the SE output. Also I have heard that you can use the bal output even if you are inputing non balanced. If you can't this is fine because I will be upgrading my dac to a fully balanced setup soon anyway. Thanks

1.0 would be fine then. The power supply really affects the SE output, for the most part. And yes, you heard correctly. The LC uses a phase splitter to create a negative copy of the signal inside of the amp, so you get the full benefit of a balanced headphone output, even if you are only using a single-ended source.

Dec 5, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #1,093 of 1,260
1.0 would be fine then. The power supply really affects the SE output, for the most part. And yes, you heard correctly. The LC uses a phase splitter to create a negative copy of the signal inside of the amp, so you get the full benefit of a balanced headphone output, even if you are only using a single-ended source.

You could say that, but try it with a good dac with balanced output, the result is magical :)
I've tried it with mojo and the sound stage is smaller. I love my mojo to bits but hooked up to a good balanced output dac (Simaudio Moon, in this case) the separation of the instruments are really distinct, the soundstage goes over and around your head(depending on the mastered track ofcourse (dire straits: money for nothing; when the drums start going left to right).
oh yeah, the gear used for comparisons are:
iPhone/LC/LCD2 on stock cable,
iPhone/Mojo-LC/lcd2;
and finally iPhone/Simaudio Moon balanced out to LC/lcd2 balanced;
For fun, iPhone streaming into Simaudio Moon balanced out to LIquid Carbon balanced out to LCD2.
Both balanced output had superior soundstaging in terms of width depth height perceived. So it's fair to say I think using balanced input to LC makes a huge difference over single ended input.
Painful I can't afford that dac, but you guys have to try it. It's gonna be another golden egg hunt soon :)

Dec 5, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #1,094 of 1,260
Well I have it connected to my Emotiva DC-1 both balanced and unbalanced.  I listen via balanced out and A/B between the two inputs and can't tell the difference.  They sound identical but I don't have a critical ear.

Dec 5, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #1,095 of 1,260
You could say that, but try it with a good dac with balanced output, the result is magical :)
I've tried it with mojo and the sound stage is smaller. I love my mojo to bits but hooked up to a good balanced output dac (Simaudio Moon, in this case) the separation of the instruments are really distinct, the soundstage goes over and around your head(depending on the mastered track ofcourse (dire straits: money for nothing; when the drums start going left to right).
oh yeah, the gear used for comparisons are:
iPhone/LC/LCD2 on stock cable,
iPhone/Mojo-LC/lcd2;
and finally iPhone/Simaudio Moon balanced out to LC/lcd2 balanced;
For fun, iPhone streaming into Simaudio Moon balanced out to LIquid Carbon balanced out to LCD2.
Both balanced output had superior soundstaging in terms of width depth height perceived. So it's fair to say I think using balanced input to LC makes a huge difference over single ended input.
Painful I can't afford that dac, but you guys have to try it. It's gonna be another golden egg hunt soon :)

I don't doubt your results, but by changing DACs, you've introduced a giant variable into the equation, which sort of nullifies the scientific validity of your conclusion. Comparing SE and balanced outputs on the same DAC is the only way to draw a valid comparison, and even then you may be subject to some differences in the DAC's different outputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back