£300 to spend, phones that dont leak.
Dec 10, 2009 at 9:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Jonclarke

Head-Fier
Hi, i have a budget of up to £300 to spend.

I'm using Sennheiser HD595 at the moment but dont like the way they leak sound, so would like something that keeps sound in. I dont listen loud.

They also need to be comfortable, or at least as good as the 595's

I plan to buy a Cambridge audio dac magic and will have £200 to spend on an amp.

Music i listen to is radio head, chili peppers, foo fighters, stereophonics, kings of leon, you get the idea
wink.gif

Hope you can help me choose
smile_phones.gif

Dec 14, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #3 of 24
Sennheiser HD25MarkIIs or Shure 840s!

The HD25MkIIs sound isolation is legendary - just simply one of the best. Its also the lightest weight headphone in its class (for studio monitoring or DJ use) and is comfortable for hours of use. You'll like the sound coming from the HD595 too - kind of a natural choice for a closed back. Bass attack, dynamics and speed are incredibly fast and furious with the HD25s. For a closed back, it's works wonders with punchy music without fatigue. They don't need amping either. Save your money, unless you have no headphone socket on your system
biggrin.gif

If you have a bit more, you could swing the other way and get a set of Stanton 3000s but I've only heard of these - not tried them.

Dec 15, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #5 of 24
will they really be the best? I don't need monitor/dj/noise canceling headphones

Just want then to sound good without sound leak at low volumes

What dont you like about the PRO 900s?

i was thinking of Denon ah-d2000 or ultrasone PRO 900s

Dec 15, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #6 of 24
The HD25's aren't noise canceling, they are just closed headphones, don't leak sound (to a certain extend of course), are pretty comfortable in the beginning but (in my case) start to annoy after an hour or two of use because they put a bit of pressure on your head. Plus they sound excellent for their price.

But where do you wan't to use them? As a headphone that you will only use in your living room I wouldn't recommand the Sennheisers, don't get me wrong, they are magnificent headphones and great all-rounders. But they do put pressure on your head so they don't fall of some moving dj's head, that pressure makes it slightly less comfortable.

Dec 15, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #8 of 24
Check out the Denon line. Try as much as you can before you buy. Maybe a beyerdynamic cold work. The SRH 840 and HD 25 are great choices, but if you have 300 quid to use, and really want to use them^^ you can get better stuff. The D5000 might be something for you.

Good Luck. And try before you buy, if you can atleast.

Dec 15, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gbjerke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out the Denon line. Try as much as you can before you buy. Maybe a beyerdynamic cold work. The SRH 840 and HD 25 are great choices, but if you have 300 quid to use, and really want to use them^^ you can get better stuff. The D5000 might be something for you.

Good Luck. And try before you buy, if you can atleast.

Thanks, I have £300 for phones and a further £400 for amp+dac

Dec 15, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonclarke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i was thinking of Denon ah-d2000 or ultrasone PRO 900s

Between those two the Denos are way more comfortable, they don't clamp at all and the earcups are considerably more spacious. Soundwise that depends on your musical taste. I didn't hear the D2000 but but i can tell from the D5000 the Ultrasones are more more agressive sounding with boosted bass and well extended treble and quicker paced. The Denons aren't lacking in bass either but i'd say it's not as punchy or accurate as the PRO900's. But it's certainly goes deep and doesn't push itself into the mids in contrast. The Denons are more well balanced and laid back in comparison. One area they lack is treble extension, IMO it's too solid and lacks certain energy and sparkle. That said i think The Denons are more well-suited for quite listening bease of thier more relaxed presentation.

Dec 15, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #11 of 24
I would vouch for the Pro 900 surely it has given me a long time of service. It is a great choice if you want something extremely PRaTy, fast and with a magic mid range actually. If you want a great allrounder. Particularly KeeS modded.

Haven´t found a headphone that can extract so many different levels of emotions. Even booring classical music you get stories with them. But I suppose we all have our own mid range tuning
smily_headphones1.gif

They are as mentioned quite aggressive especially if you bump the volume up. They are for low to mid level listening for me really but they excel at extracting it all at low volumes so it´s not really a problem.

Quite good isolation even though mine is so well used now most of the clamping force is gone and so some of the isolation. Comfortable on my head even though the ear pads feel rough now that I am used to ethiopian sheep leather
wink.gif

Dec 16, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

will the Ultrasone Pro 900 be good for what i want?

Most definitely, they're excellent headphones for the price. Really easy to drive too.

Dec 16, 2009 at 7:29 AM Post #13 of 24
Denon and Ultrasone make fine closed phones, as posters here have said. I've got D2000 and Pro 750 ... both excellent.

But for detailed analytical listening, with no sound coloration, you should check out the beyer MANUFAKTUR version of the 600-ohm 770. Really!

Dec 16, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Hi, i have a budget of up to £300 to spend.

I'm using Sennheiser HD595 at the moment but dont like the way they leak sound, so would like something that keeps sound in. I dont listen loud.

They also need to be comfortable, or at least as good as the 595's

I plan to buy a Cambridge audio dac magic and will have £200 to spend on an amp.

Music i listen to is radio head, chili peppers, foo fighters, stereophonics, kings of leon, you get the idea
wink.gif

Hope you can help me choose
smile_phones.gif

I listen to most of that stuff, and have a DACmagic. My closed headphone is the DT250 (80ohm). It's better than the 595. It's very comfortable for long periods and built to last (but everything is replaceable). It's not very sexy around here because it's not very hard to drive, it doesn't contain lots of bling, and it doesn't get lots of pointless reviews. It's fairly neutral, so it lets your music dictate how much bass treble etc you hear. So it doesn't get lots of angry arguments about how much 'colour' they add. They sound great with just about any genre, and they aren't aurally fatiguing. So virtually no one here recommends them.

I do.

They make Radiohead and Foos sounding freaking insane, and made me realise that the RHCP should never have let Rick bloody Rubin produce anything of theirs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back