£300 for new headphones, please may I have some advice?
Jan 6, 2013 at 1:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Fenn

Head-Fier
Hi,

I have a nice home cinema setup, the Yamaha RX-A1010 AV Receiver + Dali Zensor range speakers, and a nice TV (Sony 55HX853) the problem is, sometimes people are simply.... IN BED! grrr lol

So, I was thinking of investing in a nice pair of headphones, I do currently have the Sennheiser HD595 - however, I would like something better, would I be able to achieve this with £300 ? and if so, how? and with what?

Many many thanks.

Oh and this if for movies and games, and maybe some music too, but not much.

I value a nice open soundstage, separation, well controlled and defined bass.

I will plug them into my AV Receiver.

Jan 6, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #4 of 6
I just got the HD650's myself, and I upgraded from a HD558, not too far off from your situation. All I can say is if you enjoy the Sennheiser sound (As I do :wink: ) The HD650 would be the way to go. However, you will probably need an amp to bring out the best in the 650's, which mean it may not be within your budget... 

Maybe some others have better recommendations?

Edit: Wait nvm, I didn't read the first part :p  You don't need the amp, just go ahead with getting the HD650's.

Jan 6, 2013 at 8:25 AM Post #5 of 6
I'm in the same situation as you, though my budget (for headphones only) is lower if possible. I've spent weeks reading the forums and comparisons and have come to the conclusion that the Beyerdynamic DT880 600ohm is the way to go.
I will use it solely for music, mostly EDM but also some instrumental jazz, tango and classical music. I am looking for something analytical, clear and with good instrument separation and soundstage. From what I've read, DT880 fits. Any other suggestions for me and OP appreciated.

I'd also like to know if anyone knows where someone in the United Kingdom should do their headphone shopping. The only place I can find to buy the DT880 600 ohm from is the official beyer site, selling at 299EUR+21EUR shipping, quite a bit higher than normal asking price. The authorized dealer in UK sells for 290something GBP, even higher.

Jan 6, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #6 of 6
There's a reason why the HD650s have been a classic for so long. I think they suit a wider range of music types and will be better straight out of your receiver than the DT880s. The AKG 701s would fit your price range as well. If you wanna stick with the Sennheiser sound go with the HD650s, if you'd like to try something different, there's not much between the DT880s and K701s, go for the ones you like the look of and save yourself a massive headache trawling through hundreds of different opinions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back