£200-300 New or Used
Jun 15, 2018 at 8:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

harry501501

Headphoneus Supremus
Looking at spending top limit of £300 new or used. Sets I've been looking at

Shure SRH 1540 and 1840
Oppo PM3

I want them for home listening, full sized open or closed not bothered. What sound am I after? Something that's a gateway in to high end gear.

My current set of choice is the on-ear Thinksound ON2 which is simply superb sounding... perhaps just needs a tiny bit more sub bass depth to add some warmth to the sound to make them perfect (for me).

I like the HiFiMan he400s for it's great mids... lots of detail but still with a bit of body to the overall sound and not too analytical. Great treble too. I'd like something similar but with more sub bass impact. Soundstage not a deal breaker as long as it's not too narrow. Liked the bass impact of the Meze Classic 99s (another great headphone but i found them slightly congested). Tried the he400i recently and didn't think it was the same quality sound of it's brother.

I never liked the HD650 as it was too laid back and smooth, even with proper AMP'ing. I could still hear why they're so well received though.

I use a Sabaj DA3 DAC which is musical and open sounded, good air but with an overall lighter touch. I pair this with a Topping NX2 AMP which gives it a bit more weight and cleaner sound. Also have just bought the Sabaj PHA2 which is a very weighty, firm sounding AMP with great soundstage.

Planning on getting the Oppo HA2s soon.

Jun 15, 2018 at 9:50 PM Post #2 of 2
My vote goes to the ZMF Classic or Argon MK3 if they are available to you. They are both planars with much better bass than everything else in the price range (except for a modded HE-400 which is a discontinued headphone), mids should be nice and linear, not sure about the treble though since I am still awaiting my Argon MK3 (but I have plenty of experience with the T50RP Mk3). I can't say which is better until I try both (I will be reviewing both), but both have bass that extends below 20 Hz. The sound is more forward like most headphones (e.g. not like the HD 650).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back