£100 IEMs for use with iPod
Jun 6, 2010 at 10:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Team Sleep

New Head-Fier
Hello there.

I have a budget of £100 (around $200) for a pair of IEMs which will be used with my iPod when going to and from University on the train and listening to at night at home. My dog chewed up my Shure SE115's and whilst I could get the same again, I'm looking for something a little bit different...

I listen to a variety of ambient electronic music and metal. Most of the songs on my iPod are CD rips (I still buy CD's) at either Apple Lossless or MP3 V0. But I'm slowly ripping everything to Apple Lossless...

Any recommendations will be appreciated, thanks!

Jun 6, 2010 at 10:56 AM Post #2 of 10

[size=medium]
Sorry to disappoint you but a £100 budget does not equal $200. The ratio is about 1:1 by the time earphones are on sale in the UK. There are still some very good earphones at that price though. What did you like/dislike about your shure's. For £100 here's a few names to look up: Monster Turbine, Phonak PFE, Beyer dtx100, Head-Direct Re0, Etymotic hf5, Panasonic HJE900, Westone 1. There are others in the range but those are the ones that spring to mind and they have different sound sigs and you'll have to decide which sound will be for you based maybe on what you liked about your shure's.

I expect someone will say Klipsch Custom 3 but they aren't on nearly as good a deal in the Uk as in the US.
[/size]

Jun 6, 2010 at 11:31 AM Post #3 of 10
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/469332/klipsch-images-in-the-uk-at-reduced-prices

Still have stock at some stores as I replaced a faulty pair about 4 weeks ago - ask the staff to check their system for a store that has them and they'll transfer them over to your local store
jecklinsmile.gif

Jun 6, 2010 at 11:35 AM Post #4 of 10
Jun 7, 2010 at 5:57 AM Post #5 of 10
Thank for all the help!

I'm gonna look into the RE0's as they seem like a good choice, lot's of praise on here. I've also been looking at the Etymotic HF5s which are in the same price range.

Jun 7, 2010 at 8:13 AM Post #6 of 10
Get with the troubled time - $200 = £138.16 today.

Try eBay, carefully. You could get a better Shure model (your old pair was rubbish and they're overpriced - Shure, with some people, is a bit like Bose now, where the brand name is all that matters) easily, as they're common (Westone etc. aren't) but make sure they aren't fake.

You could also get an IE8 for little more than £100 (again, be very careful).

Jun 7, 2010 at 9:11 AM Post #7 of 10
I really wouldn't trust a pair of ie8's at that price. I'm sure they're good but they are completely different to re0, hf5, se115.

IMO, if you're looking for a pair of earphones that don't drown out the music with bass then I think under £100 Re0 and hf5 are the two best. The re0 has a touch more bass than the hf5 but is a bit woolly when compared. The re0 has better highs and i think mids too. Isolation is top notch on the hf5 if you're comfortable with the deep insertion (deeper than shure's). The re0's when used with comply's aren't bad either. Microphonics are slightly more troublesome on the hf5. You can't go far wrong with either.

Jun 7, 2010 at 9:54 AM Post #8 of 10
Marcus_C, If you pay with PayPal (dispute fakes, etc.) and it's a seller with a lot of good feedback and/or authenticity verification, why not?

I was just making a point about IE8 and used IEM prices in general.

Jun 7, 2010 at 10:15 AM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
Marcus_C, If you pay with PayPal (dispute fakes, etc.) and it's a seller with a lot of good feedback and/or authenticity verification, why not?

I was just making a point about IE8 and used IEM prices in general.

There's no problem with ebay in general for sennheiser's but the ones with good feedback are about £160. Paypal disputes are fine but it's much faster to get genuine ones first time. They are also very different to re0, hf5, etc.

Jun 7, 2010 at 10:20 AM Post #10 of 10
Indeed. £160 would be a seller's dream though - it's just luck sometimes.

I'd (if you have time) keep an eye on Play.com and Amzon. ER-4P was £80 a while ago on Play.com. Again, that's a price/bang for the buck example, not preferred sound aspects.

The UK isn't great for IEMs when it comes to price, but you don't have to pay RRP either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back