Tronsmart Force 2

General Information

Force 2 is a compact speaker with an RMS output of 30W. Equipped with Qualcomm QCC3021 chip together with SoundPulse® and IPX7 waterproof technologies, it delivers a terrific sound. Also, it can sync sound across 100+ speakers thanks to the broadcast mode.
tronsmart-force-2-bluetooth-speaker.jpg

Latest reviews

ngoshawk

Headphoneus Supremus
A BT speaker for the snow...
Pros: Small
"audiophile"-type sound (clarity of detail)
Well built
Ability to pair several dozen (or more, Broadcast mode)
For a BT speaker, the sound is quite good
Good battery life
Easy connectivity
Waterproof
Cons: Not enough bass
Will kids want this, without the monster bass?
Tronsmart Force 2 BT speaker ($69): A BT speaker for the snow...

Tronsmart Force 2

Vn8HYn6.jpg

Intro: Through a HeadFi giveaway, I was one of five chosen to review the Force 2. I am thankful for that, and as a result felt obligated to give a review worthy of the unit. Therefore, I did not rush. Others were able to get their reviews out early, which is not bad as it gives the user time to see how the unit functions quickly. Plus, many had cool snow pictures to go along with the write ups.

I have very little experience with BT speakers, but thankfully I now have that experience. All that was asked is an honest review of the good or bad, for ill or will. I would do not other. As such, the unit was absconded with almost immediately by our daughter, who used it for several nights with good results.

The unit will have approximately 50-75hrs on it by the end of this review, giving the user a longer-term look into the functionality of the Force 2. I profusely thank Tronsmart for the review sample, and after the review is done, my daughter has warned me, that the unit will be hers...oh well. That’s the way it goes.

qG9b7Wr.jpg

Specs:

ModelTronsmart Force 2
Bluetooth Version5.0
Output (watt)30W RMS
Transmission DistanceUp to 10m/32.8ft (open area)
Water ResistantIPX7
Battery Capacity2500mAh
Play TimeUp to 15 hours
Charging TimeAbout 3 - 4 hours
Frequency Range60Hz – 20KHz
Connector Type-C charging port, 3.5mm aux-in port, Micro SD card slot
Dimension6.42 x 2.83 x 2.52 inches / 163 x 72 x 64 mm
Net Weight627 g / 22.08 oz
Package Contents 1 x Force 2, 1 x Type-C charging cable, 1 x User manual, 1 x Warranty card, 1 x Aux-in cable ,1 x Lanyard

Gear Used:

Latin music
Bob Marley

o0BM8mI.jpg

Unboxing:

Coming in a box, which reminds me of the portable iFi products, size-wise; the Force 2 is packaged well. Efficient use of space is appreciated, and the photos/information on the outside of the box are informative and appreciated. Not too garish in presentation, the box should be a keeper for storage when traveling. Not that the Force is not worthy of travel outside the box, but why give it the chance for abuse?

Taking the lid off you are met with the charging cable to one side and the unit set in a cradle. Under that neatly packaged are the thorough instructions. One could (and has, but not me) easily miss that part due to the fine fit of the Tronsmart in the plastic cradle. Well protected. Taking the unit out of the plastic sleeve, I inspected it.

Lighter than I thought it would be, with open ends for the passive radiators, the Force 2 has a solid tactile feel of rubberized material on a solid frame. Quality built from the looks of it.

vV2fZis.jpg

Build:

With a form fitting plastic sheath over the frame, the Force 2 is solid. Exactly like it should be. A from fitting grill covers the speakers and they are solid as well. I’m sure a drop might slightly dent the grill, but with the feel I say it is as likely to bounce back to the original shape, such is the sturdy nature of the unit.

Taking the sealed rubber cover off reveals all of the necessary controls. But to run the item, you do not need to remove the cover. The “+” and “-“ are large enough, but since the unit is all black, it may be hard to see in dim light. Not bother, simply set the volume at an acceptable level and run the volume from your source. That side also houses the on/off button, which you long press to turn on and off. That sleeve does not come off, only the opposite end, which hides the USB-C charging port and an aux jack for connecting to a source.

I found the controls easy to use and changing the volume was only a tactile feeling away if needed. Build quality is excellent as a result of all the above, and I fully believe the claim of 30 minutes at 1 meter under water.

Functionality:

I used the Force 2 for four main purposes:

1. Shower-I even took it into the shower to judge waterproofness and sound.

2. Garage-cleaning my garage is a necessary chore every year, so why not enjoy it?

3. Classroom-One of my classes is doing a culminating project before their EOC (End of Course) exam, due to shifting schedules and the pandemic. I asked the class if they minded me using it as they know I test audio gear. They agreed, and even let me play Bob Marley as a result.

4. Around the house when cleaning, errands, laundry, etc... this was a good test of distance since I always keep my iPhone on me.

Using the Qualcomm QCC3021 chip, the sound was evenly balanced, if a bit light on bass. That is until I raised the volume at the suggestion of one of my students. That helped.

v1xNTag.jpg

*I had to charge the unit out of the box, which could be down to the bone chilling cold we were having as it was -13F when I took the Force out of my mailbox. As such, I charged the unit and allowed it to warm up. That cold was also a good test of weatherability. I did end up using it in my unheated garage for about an hour in -5F weather. The unit functioned perfectly.

Out of the box, I lit the Force 2 up when I took a shower. The sound was clear and crisp right from the off. Bass was not the best, but it was competent. What hit me most was the clarity of the presentation. I have heard plenty of my student’s BT speakers, and they play loud with good bass, but most sound muddy to boomy. The Force 2 was not that way for the get go. Instead, the focus seemed to be on clarity and a musical presentation that was more in tune with an “audiophile experience.” I liked it so far. It was then that my daughter took the unit for the next several nights.

She now knows that part of the deal with using my gear is that she must give me a more thorough impression than “it sounded good.” She said she enjoyed the sound, and it was clear in presenting her music. I appreciated her help and I understood as I had the same experience.

After about 25hrs, the bass was still shy for my tastes compared to the student-hit JBL’s. Turing the volume up did help the passive radiators move, but I would not be able to enjoy that volume level for long indoors. Outside, that would be perfectly acceptable, and was in my garage. From the start, and confirmed here, I feel that the Force 2 would be better served as a pair of speakers at minimum. While the soundstage provided by the single Force 2 was adequate, I have always believed in a pair of speakers to widen the stage. This also corresponds to layering and separation as well. I will call this the effect of having reviewed headphones and earphones. Those are easier to delve into than this, but I feel some of the same aspects hold true here as well.

Since I have to judge this BT speaker on parameters of which I have not done so before, this can provide me a new, fresh outlook on how the industry has moved along as well. I can distinctly remember when BT speakers came about as out middle school kids would carry them down the hall blaring horrible music at distorted levels. Not so today as the sound emanating from these little wonders has caught up much the way lower-end low-fi ChiFi IEM’s have done so in the last 2-3 years. I knew it would, but that is still nice to see when companies enhance the overall quality of sound, benefiting the listener. We win, they sell products, and we are all happy in the end.

To me, the highlight of the Tronsmart is the mids. I was pleasantly surprised upon my first listen and that continues today. Coming across as clear, concise and with the right amount of crispiness, the Force 2 tries to meld the best of both worlds, with regard to a solid portable sound and that audiophile sound of which we all strive to own. I would say that vocals are a bit withdrawn, but not to the detriment of the overall character of the mids. Playing the Afro Cuban Allstars, or the Buena Vista Social Club, the male vocals came across as present but not as forward as other from other devices. I call this the tuning of the Force 2, and not really a fault. When the chorus from the group spins up though, the vocal presentation takes its place right center and where it should be: the highlight, but not a profound “in your face” highlight.

What is nearly “in your face” to me would be the musical aspect of the mids. Guitar work can come across as almost too sharp in detail, and the percussives from the lower mids seem to boom on a bit too long. Mind you we are talking about a sub-$75 BT speaker, and these would be minor quibbles. Call it the reviewer-take here. To me, the mids take up where the bass should be strutting their stuff. Especially with Cuban music, there is that near-sensual bassline that lays the foundation of the whole song. That at lower listening levels in the Force 2 is absent. But, at higher volumes, such as in outside listening situations, that bassline comes back in support. Unfortunately, that is at volumes levels I could not use in our house unless cleaning, choring and doing so alone. Call this again the limitation of the BT speaker set up.

Up top, the treble again comes across clean and clear, highlighting that overall crisp nature of the Force 2. This crispiness seems to be the highlight and the Force 2 isn’t afraid to flaunt it. This can work towards a very good sound in lower listening levels such as your office when you are alone, but when drawn to higher volumes, unless you are outside that tendency can become a bit grating. But to me these are minor quibbles as this speaker is oriented more towards outside use due to its wonderful waterproof tendencies. For that, the speaker functions adequately.

If I had to characterize the Force 2 it would be as a thoroughly competent BT speaker, with very good mids, clarity that is quite fitting at this price, but with an overall slightly thin sound to me. It lacks that “girth” or weight that fits with a fuller sound. While the Force 2 is good, I do which for greater depth of sound, a meatier voice and a more bass. But this isn’t all as bad as it seems, for what you do get in return is very good treble response without being too sparkly or grating up top and mids, which to me steal the show.

2xR2Gjm.jpg

Battery:

In my listening (and said daughter’s...) I have charged the Force 2 to full, three times. Considering the rating is “up to” 15hrs, that means I am approaching 60hrs on the clock. This last charge, I will run completely dry to determine an approximate total listening term.

Pairing:

I only hooked the Force 2 to BT sources such as those listed above, and mainly my iPhone XS Max. Painless in the ability to quickly hook up, BT technology continues to move forward in progress.

Since I only had one, I was unable to test the “multi-speaker” hook up aspect, but I believe another reviewer did.

hUBK0NU.jpg

Finale:

This is a somewhat shorter review for me. Plus, time-wise, a bit shorter as well. To say that I am “methodical” would be to politely say that I am slow. I am. I really do want the users to get an idea of what the critter sounds like 6 months to a year down the road, hence the extended listening times. Some manufacturers prefer a “quick as you can” aspect, and while I do not blame them, I think it A) draws too much pressure on the reviewers, and B) sells short the long-term investment many of us make in our gear.

For some the item in question may be the only item they can afford or may be an item, which will last them a long time. Too often in our “hobby” we bounce from item to item, thinking that “this is better” or “that is better.” We as reviewers feed into this by flying through reviews as record pace. Or when we have the “updated” version or new model, or competitor. I get it. There will always be something at the same price, which you think may be better. Or newer. Or move up to the higher bracket. I am just as guilty but have found my nirvanic sounds thankfully. As such, I think I can objectively judge products and give the manufacturer what they are looking for long term (not that others can’t). And something such as the Force 2 should be looked at long term. Especially since it has the ability to pair and chain with many (up to 100+) of the same speakers.

In this regard, there lies one of the true values in the Tronsmart. You could happily have these around your house or garage or yard or pool and play some pretty good music. While your neighbors might not approve of your music choices, all you need is to invite them over and that should make them happy. Socially distanced, of course.

Looking at the Force 2 in that vein, it is a quite good speaker. One that provides decent clarity and very good mids, which to me are the highlight. Vocals come across as presentable, if a bit behind unless the volume is turned up. If you want more bass but like the looks and quality build of the Tronsmart you may be wise to look at the Mega Pro, which adds in a level of clarity besides that bass.

I thank Tronsmart for choosing me, I do not regret getting my first full taste of a BT speaker, and if you are looking for a competent clear sounding BT speaker, then you should indeed audition the Force 2. Just be prepared for a lack of bass presence.

Cheers.

X7RD0FX.jpg

Peddler

1000+ Head-Fier
Surprisingly large sound for such a small speaker
Pros: Really nice 'big' sound. Reasonably waterproof. Fast pairing. Aux Input. Decent volume. Appears to have good battery life.
Cons: A little more bass would be nice. Controls are hard to find and push (due to waterproofing).
Tronsmart Bluetooth Speaker

I have to be honest up front - when Tronsmart contacted me asking if I would be interested in reviewing their latest bluetooth speaker I was somewhat hesitant. The reason why is that I tend to use headphones for most of my listening and, being a bit of an audio snob, was very doubtful that I would actually like the sound that something like this produces. I'm really glad I did agree in the end though because this little speaker really is surprisingly good.

20210313_083217.jpg

My first impression was that the speaker is remarkably small - a lot smaller than I expected it to be when looking at pictures on line. It has a good solid feel and there's no denying that this is a very well made unit. Add to this the excellent water resistance, battery life and fast USB C charging and this makes for a very impressive small speaker.

20210313_083238.jpg

Thanks to its water resistance, I set the speaker up in my bathroom and linked it up to my phone to play some Peter Gabriel whilst taking a shower. I was quite surprised with the sound quality that comes out of this little unit. Bass wasn't overblown and yet showed some real presence - likewise the mids had enough satisfying detail and the top end didn't annoy either. All in all, definitely an improvement over the previous bluetooth speaker I was using in the bathroom.

20210313_083342.jpg

Pairing with my phone was easy - pretty much like most modern Bluetooth headphones. Simply power up the speaker and it automatically goes into pairing mode. Once you have connected, it will always connect to that device by default. If you wish to pair the speaker to another device, simply hold down the relevant button for a few seconds and the speaker will go back into pairing mode - easy peasy.

20210313_083247.jpg

All the buttons and sockets on the speaker have rubberised flaps which helps with the water resistance but this does make the buttons slightly hard to find - especially considering the buttons are at the rear of the unit - but that's the price of improved water resistance.

Don't get me wrong, this speaker isn't going to replace your Naim Muso - God how cool would that be? Rather this is a picnic/bbq speaker - small enough to fit in a handbag or coat pocket (easily) and has enough output power to help overcome it's small size - to a certain extent. What I was really surprised (and pleased) to see is that Tronsmart hasn't simply produced a bass monster but rather something that offers a nice balanced sound. The 4.5 Star rating is to reflect the excellent value for money, performance and sound quality.

There's really not much more to say about this remarkable little speaker. It's sound quality is excellent for its size, decent battery life (not yet tested), water resistance, can go loud and nice overall design. What's not to like?

Ichos

- Battery duration
- Rugged and IPX7
- Very stable bluetooth connection
Cons: - Bass on the lean side
- Some extra low end should be welcomed
- Only SBC
Tronsmart asked for Headfi members willing to review the brand new bluetooth speaker Force 2 and I was among the qualifying ones.
The sample was kindly provided free of charge and this is my honest and subjective evaluation of it.

Introduction

Tronsmart is a tech brand that designs and manufactures world-class tech accessories.
The core value of Tronsmart is to make your life easier by providing you with high-tech, high-quality and high-performance products.

The founder of Tronsmart, Eric Cheng, being located in Shenzhen - Asia's Silicon Valley of hardware has assembled a team of world-renowned R&D professionals in order to continually create the latest and greatest products.

Tronsmart truly believes that “if you offer the customer quality products at an affordable price, nothing can stop you from expansion”.

This is not the first product of Tronsmart that we reviewed as we were lucky enough to review the Apollo Bold TWS with ANC.

IMG_20210222_195630.jpg

Technical and physical specifications

The Force 2 is a portable bluetooth speaker designed mainly for outdoor use thanks to the IPX7 waterproof rating.

Equipped with a bluetooth 5.0 Qualcomm QCC3021 chip together with SoundPulse® and an RMS output of 30W it delivers a terrific sound.
There is only the SBC codec supported.
Also, it can sync sound across 100+ speakers thanks to the broadcast mode.
The two well-designed passive radiators deliver heart-pumping sound with strong bass.

A large 2500mAh battery is compatible with fast USB type C charging and can provide up to 15 hours of use in less than 4 hours of charge time.

There is a microphone to support calls and the one tap voice assistants "Hey Siri" , "Ok Google" and
"Hi Cortana".

An extra AUX input is included so we can use the speaker when bluetooth is not available.

The speaker is a compact barrel type shape with an extra grip edge where the controls are located.
It can be used and placed vertically or horizontally.

IMG_20210214_123501.jpg

There are four buttons available to control the speaker.
Power ON/OFF that is also used to enable the voice assistant with two short taps.
The two volume up/next track , volume down/previous track buttons and the bluetooth - play/pause one.

Next to the buttons we can find the waterproof compartment that houses the USB type C and AUX inputs.

Design and build quality

The Force 2 is beautifully designed with a minimal and very appealing black matte modern appearance.
Build quality is truly excellent and the speaker feels sturdy and tough.
A little care should be taken with the passive radiators that seem to be fragile and prone to tear.
An extra protective mesh could be useful in case of an accident.

The speaker comes with USB and AUX cables plus a useful lanyard that attaches to the upper part.
A manual is included.
The dimensions are 163x72x64mm and the weight is 627gr.

The price is €59.99 and in Europe you can get it from Amazon.de without extra custom fees.

IMG_20210214_125814.jpg

Operation

Switching the speaker on it will automatically enter bluetooth seek mode and pairing is fast and easy.
The remaining battery is displayed and we can control the volume from the phone.

Max phone volume is not the max speaker volume and we can increase it more with the volume up button.
The best way is to set phone and speaker volume to the max and then decrease it from the phone till the desired level is reached.

Bluetooth working distance is good and it can be used up to 10m , even indoors but without very thick walls between the rooms.
Connection is stable and we didn't experience any drop outs or any kind of interference.
Battery life is close to the one being advertised and we managed to squeeze out about ten hours of heavy use.

IMG_20210214_123009.jpg

Listening

The Force 2 is surprisingly powerful for its size and can get loud enough to sufficiently fill a small room as long as we don't max the volume or it will start clipping.

Overall presentation is well balanced with an even and natural tonality far from being overly V shaped as is the case with most portable bluetooth speakers.

The low end aided here by some clever dsp boosting is present and sufficient but it is not very extended as it is more of a low mid bass with harmonics rather than real bass.
Not surprisingly though considering the size of the woofers and strict laws of physics that wouldn't allow for anything more.

Quality is good as it sounds well controlled with proper timing and a tight presentation without masking the rest of the frequencies.
An acceptable performance for such a small speaker but bass heads should seek satisfaction elsewhere.

Mids are present and clear enough in order not to be buried in the depths of the mix.
Voices and mid centric instruments get their fair share of the whole and feel well projected.

Higher frequencies are crisp and clean very slightly lifted in order to stand and balance things out with a touch of extra energy and light.

Sound is on the lean side and everything is under control and fine until we start listening to more complex material and the speaker struggles to keep up and highlight the extra information.

This may sound bad but actually it isn't because we are not talking here a speaker designed for critical listening.

The Force 2 is a little portable companion designed mainly for outdoor use while having some fun at the park or listening to music during outdoor activities.
We also got some great results watching Netflix and gaming from our tablet or during a web meeting without any lag.
So for the intended use the sound performance is very satisfying with an even and well balanced performance supported by enough power to make it loud without distortion.

IMG_20210214_125931.jpg

Compared to Tronsmart Mega Pro

Users who seek for extra and real bass response with added power for larger spaces should consider the Tronsmart Mega Pro.
It is not only about bass and power as the Mega Pro is a more refined listen with greater extension , higher levels of clarity and resolution and a better - real speaker - overall performance.
More suitable for indoor use as it is heavier it is still very sturdy and well built with IPX4 protection.
It is a great bluetooth speaker that should be considered as a bargain for the asking price with the only let down being the absence of the aptX codec.
It is a very good speaker and the plain SBC/AAC is holding it back.
We suggest that the next step for Tronsmart should be a speaker with the same balanced sound and AptX support.

IMG_20210222_195304.jpg

At the end

The Force 2 is a well built , compact and rugged waterproof portable bluetooth speaker that sounds surprisingly well balanced and powerful for the given size worthy the price of admission and should be in your short list.

Copyright - Laskis Petros 2021.

Comments

There are no comments to display.