True Wireless IEMs with active NoiseGard, Apt-X Low Latency and Bluetooth 5.0, 4.5 hours of continuous use which can be extended to 12 hours with the charging-case.

Sennheiser MOMENTUM True Wireless

4.33333/5,
  • 646FF358-D7F0-45CD-B83F-898FFCE2F660.jpeg

Uncompromised sound performance, state-of-the-art technology and refined design all come together in Sennheiser’s True Wireless premium earbuds.

The first model in a new generation of the iconic MOMENTUM family redefines the audio benchmark for true wireless ear buds with superior stereo sound performance that is guaranteed by Sennheiser’s audiophile 7mm dynamic drivers. With the latest Bluetooth technology, AAC codec support, and Qualcomm® aptXTM compatibility, this exceptional hi-fi sound is delivered without any compromise. “The MOMENTUM range has always stood for a fusion of excellent sound, progressive technology and craftsmanship. We are pleased to now introduce the newest member of the family, which brings the essence of MOMENTUM to a truly wireless form for the first time”, said Frank Foppe, Product Manager at Sennheiser.

Sense your world

Thanks to its Transparent Hearing feature, MOMENTUM True Wireless gives listeners the option of blending ambient sounds into their listening experience for improved situational awareness, or to participate in conversations without removing the ear buds.

A smart, connected wireless experience

MOMENTUM True Wireless offers effortless interaction with one’s digital eco system by enabling direct voice access to smart assistants such as Apple Siri or Google Assistant. Be entertained, communicate, and stay informed - all via a simple tap of the intuitive touch interface and natural voice commands. Noisier environments present little challenge thanks to the two-mic-beamforming technology, which optimizes voice pick-up for crystal clear phone calls and voice assistant interaction. The MOMENTUM True Wireless experience can also be personalized via the free Sennheiser Smart Control app, allowing fine-tuning of the sound according to personal preference via the ear buds’ built-in EQ. The app will be released once the product is available.

C978C7C6-64E2-49DA-8D77-5AF6A0A11C30.jpeg
    BF33B2A3-E83B-44AA-A005-E2AEF8CE5D3B.jpeg
    Sennheiser’s new MOMENTUM True Wireless earphones set new standards for audio quality, with characteristic MOMENTUM style and comfort.​
    The MOMENTUM True Wireless allows users to be entertained, communicate, and stay informed - all via a simple tap of the intuitive touch interface and natural voice commands.​

Enjoy true wireless freedom in style

MOMENTUM True Wireless has a 4-hour battery life that can be recharged via its compact case with integrated power bank for more than 12 hours of all-day enjoyment. Designed for a perfect fit and all-day comfort, the splash- and sweat-resistant earphones have been meticulously crafted to offer a sense of timeless elegance and durability. On opening the fabric-wrapped case, one discovers finely sculpted ear buds that have been beautifully finished with metallic details on the outer face as well as gold-plated charging pins and magnets.

Technical Data

•Speaker typeDynamic
    •Sensitivity107 dB SPL (1 kHz / 1 mW)
    •THD, total harmonic distortion<0,08% (1kHz / 94dB)
    •Frequency range5 Hz to 21 kHz (earbuds)
    100 Hz to 10 kHz (microphone)
    •MicrophoneMEMS
    •Microphone sensitivity94 dB SPL at 1 kHz
    •Battery SpecificationBuilt-in Lithium rechargeable battery
    °Charging timeApprox. 1.5 hrs
    °Battery runtime[/b]Up to 4 hrs (A2DP) with rechargeable batteries of the earbuds,
    Up to 12 hrs with rechargeable battery of the charging case
    •Power supply5 V, 650 mA: USB charging via USB-C socket at charging case
    •Bluetooth VersionBluetooth 5 compliant, class 1
    °Supported ProfilesA2DP, AVRCP, HSP, HFP
    °Type of CodecSBC, aptX™, aptX™ Low Latency, AAC
    •Ear couplingEar Canal
    •Dimensions78.6 x 45 x 35 mm (charging case)
    •Weight69.8 g (earbuds and charging case),
    13.2 g (both earbuds),
    56.6 g (charging case)
    •Operating temperature0 to +40°C
    •Operating relative humidity10 to 80%, non condensing
    •Water Protection CodeIPX4, splash resistant (earbuds)

Recent Reviews

1. sanakimpro
    Quest for Portable True Wireless Sound
    Written by sanakimpro
    Published Jun 21, 2019
    Pros - Balanced sound profile with even tonality. Aesthetically pleasing.
    Cons - Bluetooth connectivity and touch controls still needs work. Lack of 3D stage depth.
    Recently, I went on a quest to update my audio equipment to 2019 standards. My last purchase was my Astell & Kern T8ie MKII back in 2016 and so far I have been satisfied and still wowed by what it can do. There has been a lot of buzz about true wireless earphones (TWE) and how much Bluetooth technology and codecs have improved to the point where it is virtually indistinguishable to wired sound quality. Curious, I started my research two months back and I've read hundreds of threads, forums, reviews and tried as many earphone samples I could in nearby stores.

I received my pair of Momentum True Wireless (MTW) at an authorised Sennheiser store yesterday and so far the MTW has been great! My use case is as a walk-around IEM to work, on the subway, at the mall, at lunch/dinner. If and when the batteries run out or I'm sitting still at a desk, my A&K T8ie MK II are ready to take over. I am a fan of German headphones/IEMs sound tuning and previously used Beyerdynamic and Astell & Kern equipment.

This is meant to be a short comparison and not a full-hand-on-sit-down-with-10-headphones-10-DAC-AMPS review. I purchased it recently and went on a journey to find the best true wireless earphone in the market as of June 2019 and I'm here to share it with you.

Table of Contents:
    MTW First Impressions
    MTW Bluetooth
    MTW Sound Quality
    MTW Smart Control App
    MTW Headphone Comparables
    MTW Conclusions

Momentum True Wireless First Impressions
    I gave it 4.5/5 and kept the last 0.5 because the Bluetooth connection and touch controls still needs work. I frequently need to restart pairing instead of the MTW automatically reconnecting to the phone after a charge.

Touch control for previous track (3 tap on left earbud) is not yet perfect. Instead it will go Next Track (2 taps) and Pause (1 tap). Super annoying. But these are teething issues to me and I can overlook them for now and instead choose the next track or restart pairing with my phone.

I only care about SQ and so far it has exceeded expectations. To be fair, I am not comparing it against $300 full sized headphones or wired IEMs. I think value wise, $150 is for the IEM SQ, $50 for the Sennheiser brand and $100 for the portability, Bluetooth technology, Smart Control app etc.

No problems with batteries thus far. 4 hours is about right. Case takes 1.5hrs to charge and all working as advertised. One thing I learnt is to carry a spare case and keep the IEM in the spare case if the battery is not yet <20% (or just keep it in your pocket if you don't mind some scratches). This way, you don't waste the charge in the Charging Case until you absolutely need to recharge the IEMs and you can get the advertised 12 hours battery life.

Trying to get a good fit can be challenging but the MTWs come with 4 pairs of earbuds (XS/S/M/L) and you should be able to get a decent fit. Otherwise, consider getting Comply foam tips to fit your ears. Oh, you also have to learn how to twist the MTW every time you wear it. This is something that I miss coming from my dear AKT8ie where FIT was one of the key selling points of the IEM. You could go the whole day wearing the IEM and not feel fatigue. With the MTW, it is bearable but it does get a bit painful after 4 hours of continuous listening.

Oh yes, you also get 2 years worldwide warranty from Sennheiser.

Momentum True Wireless Bluetooth
    I am playing it on AptX codec on BT 4.2 and firmware version 1.25.00 via my S7Edge using Spotify or Foobar2K with FLAC. Volume is loud enough once the correct settings are picked. Note though that I prefer to listen on the louder side so I constantly max out the volume on the MTW. Best to test at a store if it's loud enough for your preference.

MTW supports SBC, AAC, AptX, AptX Low Latency. AFAIK, most phones don't have AptX-LL (see Qualcomm's website) so I wouldn't count on it much. Some complain about the lack of AptX HD or LDAC but AptX is plenty good enough for my portable needs. Maybe for the DSD/PCM folks, they need to consider something else.

You can watch movies/play games with these but it depends whether you can stand the slight lag. Using AptX, it seems the codec knows how to resync the video and audio for Youtube videos. For games however, it depends if your game has a bluetooth delay feature. I got my game to time perfectly with a 500ms delay although the AptX is reported to only have a 200ms delay. I suppose 300ms was for the game to render the graphics, but don't quote me on this.

Some people complain about drop outs here and there which they said is unacceptable. For me, as long as its infrequent (once or twice an hour) and is short (< 1 or 2 secs) and can be fixed with pressing play on the phone, I don't mind it too much.

Momentum True Wireless Sound Quality
    For me, the MTW has a balanced sound profile with a small bass boost towards the mid and sub bass thus giving a slight U/V- sound signature. By no means is it a basshead IEM but it carries good mid-bass and good sub-bass rumble when called for. Bass quantity is just enough, without being muddy (Sony XB series) or being bass-shy (like ER4 series) while bass quantity it makes up in bass quality, with fast bass decay and good precision. However, if you like to be enveloped by world-class IEM bass like in the AKT8ieMKII or Xelentos, these still fall a bit short but it can be improved using the Smart Control EQ.

The mids are smooth and transitions well from the upper bass. Vocals are well represented. Female and male vocals sound natural with good realism without coming across as sibilant or shrill. It is important to note here that the midtones are smooth without discernible peaks which would lead to unnatural audio.

Treble extends well and you won't be disappointed with the detail revival, especially at lower volumes.

The background of the MTW is quite dark (not noisy) and thus there is good L/R stereo instrumental separation as what I'd expect for a closed back high-grade Sennheiser 7mm TWE IEM.

However, I do note that in terms of 3D staging, it is rather narrow, especially at high volumes, leading to a very intimate sound system rather than a laid-back sound. Most of the bass and sound seems to come within the skull and doesn't extend further outward unlike in the AKT8ie / IE800 / Katana / K10 / ER4 (disregard if you find the comparison not meaningful) or full sized headphones or stereo systems. This would be one of the few drawbacks for the MTW.

In general I agree with the rtings.com frequency response chart and the MTW represents a balanced natural sound well with a rather intimate sound.

For reference, I'd consider the IE800 to be balanced with bass de-emphasis and treble emphasis (can be a bit piercing and sibilant sometimes). The Xelentos/AKT8ie to be balanced with bass emphasis (can be muddy sometimes) and slight treble roll-off. The Noble Katana's will get 10/10 for being balanced with excellent frequency response, detail revival and instrument separation albeit at twice the cost.

I typically listen to Korean pop, Spotify Global Top 50, some Ariana Grande, Lana Del Rey, and then some rock/heavy metal (Rammstein/Linkin Park/Metallica). MTW is versatile enough to do all these genres though with rock you can find it a bit claustrophobic. I believe for most people, they would find the MTW's SQ to be acceptable, if not excellent. Otherwise, you can tune it with the Smart Control App's EQ.

Momentum True Wireless Smart Control App
    Interestingly, the MTW comes with a free app called Smart Control, developed by Sennheiser. In it, you can update the firmware over the air (OTA). The latest FW as of June is 1.25.00.

The app allows you several more options but I only cared for Transparent Hearing (which allows you listen to your surroundings using real-time audio recorded from the mic) and the EQ. The Smart Control EQ is aesthetically pleasing but a bit confusing to use at first. I've laid out what it means in general here.

Upper left quadrant: ++ bass - mids + treble (basshead preference but warning: it get's boxy/boomy!)
    Lower left quadrant: -- bass + mids - treble (unnatural to me, sounds thin)
    Upper right quadrant: + bass - mids ++ treble. (my preference for slight U/V signature)
    Lower right quadrant: - bass + mids -- treble. (unnatural to me, sounds thin)

In general, I'd advice against moving more than 3 cm away from the the center (neutral/balanced/default) because it quickly gets out of hand and the frequency response deviates from balanced. Because of the slight U/V signature of the IEM, using the upper quadrants enhances its signature, while using the lower quadrants makes the sound signature too thin/flat/analytical for my preference. Of course, your mileage may vary but I prefer leaving the EQ at default or just 1cm 45 degree in the upper right quadrant.

For me, this EQ is worth a lot and is a unique selling point for the MTW as it allows different customers to personalise their MTW sound. I am not sure what happens behind the scenes but I like the flexibility it gives us and how much it truly affects the resulting sound from the MTW.

Momentum True Wireless Headphones Comparables
    I think of true wireless headphones (TWE) SQ not as a direct comparable to wired headphones/IEMs because there's a lot of scale with wired IEMs (think IE800, Xelento, Noble Katana, etc.) Rather, can you accept 10% SQ loss for the portability, the hands-free, the lack of need to worry about DACs, AMPs, SPC/OCC/OFC cables, bla bla bla. If you can, then, TWEs are a good enough solution.

VS Bose SoundSport Free: SSF has a larger package and sticks out of the ear more. Granted, it has twice the battery life (5hrs +20hrs from case). SQ wise, since these are designed for sports, they are open-back and wouldn't be suitable for commutes or flights. Consequently, they have a wider, airier sound stage amid a softer bass response. Mids and treble are OK but nothing special. There is treble rolloff IIRC. My takeaway was that the sound was OK but not amazing. It was a form over SQ sort of design. No ANC though which is disappointing since Bose is well known for ANC. So I ruled it out as SQ was the main focus for me.

VS Sony 1000XM3: A bit unfair, I know, but at the same price point, I think the full sized XM3 is a fair competitor. First off, it has a whopping 30 hours of battery life which makes the MTW's battery life look like a joke. Then it comes with ANC and adaptive modes. It is also frequently on discount and is constantly being updated (3rd version now). But what bothers me is the SQ on the XM3. While many reviews shout about the SQ, I personally find the sound to be.. "boxy". What I mean is that the sound is not smooth. There is a clear bass segment and a clear mid segment but the trebles are strongly rolled off. And then there is a disconnect between the bass and mids segment. Even so, there is a strong mid/upper bass emphasis and little sub-bass rumble. Strong vocal tracks are distorted by strong uneven bass making it a disappointment for the discerning audiophile. Soundstaging is narrow and instruments sound claustrophic. Weirdly, the frequency response charts do not reflect what I hear. Be that as it may, the XM3 is aimed at the typical consumer requiring good battery life and portability, above average SQ and a reasonable price and that's the reason it is a successful Sony product. Still a good choice for those who don't mind bluetooth headphones.

VS Sony WF-1000x: A bit dated, but I tried this TWE for a while and it sounds great. It has the typical Sony bass-boost sound quality with rolled off treble. Sounds quite muddy in the bass/lower mids area. What it misses in sound, it makes for with ANC, a small package and half the price of the MTW. I would say skip this just because I suspect the Gen 2 is coming out soon as they have started going on a 20% sale in my location. Good for people looking for TWEs on a budget and who appreciates good ANC.

VS Sony WI-1000x: More recent than the WF-1000x, the WI's price range is comparable to the MTW; has 10 hours battery life and ANC. It really intrigued me and the sound quality was nearer to Hi-Res balanced. It boasts plenty of detail and has good sound staging and separation. There is a slight mid bass boost as expected but overall it sounds very pleasing. However, I ruled it out because I thought, for that price I might as well get a true wireless such as the MTW. See, I am lazy and prefer to keep the IEMs in a case instead of having a perma-neckband.

VS Sony WI-C600N: This is a Dec 2018 model and it actually was a solid contender at $120 and costs less than half the price of the MTW. It sounded more like the WF-1000x with a strong bass emphasis, shallow sound stage etc. Typical easy-to-like modern consumer sound. 1/2 price, 6 hrs battery life, flexible band etc made it a strong contender to the MTW but in the end I chose to go fully wireless instead of having a neckband. But worth a serious consideration for anyone frequenting gyms or planning to use these for a workout. Between these and the WI-1000x, which you choose depends on your budget and your sound signature preference. WI-1000x is overall technically a better headphone, but you have to pay double the price and you can't fold it and keep it in your jeans pocket.

VS XiaoMi Neckband: They retail for $80 and offer great value for those of us who can accept good enough SQ. It boasts 8hrs of battery life and has a flexible neckband. But I didn't care much for the SQ as the mids and vocals were quite harsh and treble was all over the place. For the price, I'd recommend saving up for the WI-C600N unless you're really on a tight budget.

VS Master & Dynamic MW07, RHA TrueConnect, Beoplay E8: Sorry, the stores in my location didn't allow me to try these.

Others have suggested to consider keeping my current IEM and use the Shanling M0 and ES100 as portable bluetooth DAC/AMPs but I personally dislike the idea because I might as well keep using my phone or a portable DAP. I don't see much of an upgrade in terms of portability which was the whole point of this quest anyway.

Alternatively, I also considered the Shure RMCE-BT2 and Sony MUC-M2BT1 wireless neckbands with MMCX connectors. The RMCE is reported to have excellent sound but I never saw it in any of the stores I've visited. However, I can personally vouch for the M2BT1. The M2BT1 with my AKT8ieMKII sounded phenomenal and to my ears, rivalled the wire. It has LDAC and AptX codec, features about 7hrs of battery life.

However, for the price of $185, you have to start wondering if getting a new set of TWE IEMs might be the better option. Just top up another $100 and you have another top-tier product from Sennheiser.

I only had a chance to test these few before the time I gave myself to decide ran out and I decided what the heck, let's get the MTW. Overall, from the few wireless options I've tried, the MTW indeed has the best sound quality and let's be honest, it's expected from Sennheiser. No dealbreakers that made me regret the purchase or wish I could return it.

Momentum True Wireless Conclusion

Great value for money if you care most about SQ and are looking for a premium SQ in a true wireless form factor. I bought it knowing Id have to be patient with the bluetooth/touch control issues and I wanted portability and a completely wireless package for an excellent sound, and that's exactly what I got with the Momentum True Wireless.

Ask me anything and I'll try to respond. Appreciate all the help from headfi, reddit and other reviews I've seen so far; thought I'd return the favor.

P.S. I asked the Sennheiser sales rep and he said there isn't going to be a product update (MTW 2.0) soon. Apparently MTW is Momentum 3.0 and people are waiting for the full line up to be released first. So MTW 2.0 will be Momentum 4.0 and I guess it will come in 2021.

P.S. Photos available upon request but I think others have covered it pretty well. You get a 2 earbuds, 1 charging case, 4 pairs of tips (XS, S, M, L) and a short (25cm?) USB-A to USB-C cable and 2 years Sennheiser international warranty.

2 Weeks Update:
    So, a quick update:

Negatives
    1. You can't wear these to sleep. If you sleep on the right side, it goes "VOLUME MAX" on repeat. On the left side, the volume is decreased and it goes "VOLUME MIN" on repeat.

2. The bluetooth on these are questionable. Maybe it's my S7 Edge being a bit old, but when I am on the go, walking around the city or on the way to the commute, there is quite significant disruptions to the point it annoys me. Of course this problem is situational and you can't replicate it to a sales rep; so consider if you can accept this should it occur.

Positives
    1. Despite that, the bluetooth pairing is instantaneous. The trick is to turn on BT on your phone before removing the right earpiece from the case. Or if you leave the BT permanently on, then that's better (but worse for your phone's battery life). Phone battery also doesn't seem to take a big hit. I also make it a habit to turn off the BT so that the MTWs go to sleep mode after 15 minutes. Otherwise they will wait up to 60 minutes before going to sleep. Otherwise, place both buds back into the case for trickle charging.

2. Loving the sound from these MTW bad boys more and more, using my preferred 1cm 45 degrees upper right quadrant on the internal EQ, I appreciate how the bass is present with excellent clarity and weight, while treble is crisper than the average IEM. It is no IE800, but plenty of treble detail to keep you satisfied that unless you do an A/B I won't miss the extra detail.

3. Battery has been a non-issue. Ran dead on the pair once after 4hrs of use as advertised. Never had the battery case dying on me, knock on wood. But my habit is to charge it every single night.

4. Good build quality. Dropped one earpiece when I was at the checkout, and my heart stopped. Luckily when I picked it up, there were no visible markings on the unit.

5. Volume has been very good. All my Spotify Extreme Quality songs, FLACs and 320kpbs MP3s have more than enough volume. This was a primary concern for me when purchasing the IEMs.

5.Overall, pretty happy with the purchase. They have dominated my music use on the go and I rarely miss my T8ieMKII since the SQ is about 80% although the sound stage is a bit compressed (it is left-right wide not front-back deep). The only time was during a 6 hr drive where I decided to go with a wired IEM.
      Sennheiser and G_T_J like this.
    1. View previous replies...
    2. G_T_J
      They are cerainly way better than Jabra Elite Active 65t and Pantronics Bacbeat Fit and Backbeat Go I had previously as well as they are miles better than any generic bluetooth TWS being sold atm. I just believe they are tuned with a very consumer-frinedly approach in mind that won't suit anyone's taste. Good uplifiting listen for the gym but a bit of a.... ''BEATS'' quality sound for serious listening.
      G_T_J, Jun 28, 2019
    3. sanakimpro
      No worries, I can see your point that it is not balanced. But it depends on which side of the spectrum you are coming from. I consider the cheaper IEMS like the RHA MA650 or T20, or the Shure SE215 etc as bassy. I consider the ER4PT and IE800 to be treble oriented. So in the middle ground, there is the Xelentos, the Prophile 8, the Noble Katana, etc. To me, the MTW is among those IEMS.
      sanakimpro, Jul 4, 2019
    4. sanakimpro
      But I would argue that you can make it "balanced" if that is your liking; just some tweaking with the internal EQ with the Smart Control app to reduce the bass (lower left or right quadrant) should clear things up. I personally prefer U/V shape sound so my setting has been the upper right (1cm away, 45 degrees).

I can see how you think the B&O E8 is balanced, but to me that is bass-shy / treble heavy. So it's a matter of preference and definition, IMO.
      sanakimpro, Jul 4, 2019
  2. subguy812
    Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless
    Written by subguy812
    Published Apr 30, 2019
    Pros - True Wireless, TOTL sound quality
    Cons - Battery(maybe),Charging case bulk
    Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless

1.jpg

Momentum True Wireless (MTW)

Sennheiser MTW- Sennheiser Direct link

Amazon Purchase

A Little Technical Stuff:

• Dimensions 78.6 x 45 x 35 mm (charging case)
    • Microphone MEMS
    • Bluetooth Version Bluetooth 5.0 compliant, class 1
    • Supported Profiles A2DP, AVRCP, HSP, HFP
    • THD, total harmonic distortion <0,08% (1kHz / 94dB)
    • Ear coupling Ear Canal
    • Weight 69.8 g (earbuds and charging case), 13.2 g (both earbuds), 56.6 g (charging case)
    • Charging time Approx. 1.5 hrs
    • Microphone sensitivity 94 dB SPL at 1 kHz
    • Operating temperature 0 to +40°C
    • Power supply 5 V, 650 mA: USB charging via USB-C socket at charging case
    • Battery Specification Built-in Lithium rechargeable battery
    • Frequency range 5 Hz to 21 kHz (earbuds)
    • 100 Hz to 10 kHz (microphone)
    • Sensitivity 107 dB SPL (1 kHz / 1 mW)
    • Speaker type Dynamic
    • Operating relative humidity 10 to 80%, non-condensing
    • Battery time Up to 4 hrs (A2DP) with rechargeable batteries of the earbuds, Up to 12 hrs with rechargeable battery of the charging case
    • Water Protection Code IPX4, splash resistant (earbuds)
    • Type of Codec SBC, aptX™, aptX™ Low Latency, AAC

-MRSP: Universal fit/BT Wireless USD 299

2.jpg

The Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless, henceforth dubbed MTW, hit my doorstep around a month ago. I have dabbled in the wireless arena with V-Moda and the Forza Metallo and the Crossfade 2 Wireless and the Senn Momentum 2 Wireless. The Metallo is a neckband type earphone, and the Crossfade 2 and Momentum 2 Wireless are over-ear headphones. It is my first foray into a True Wireless solution. I have read about a few True Wireless offerings in the market, and many other options give the listener the same features as the MTW, but an array of different results in connectivity and battery life. The one recurring theme with the MTW was that it had the best sound quality available in the True Wireless market when listening to your music. I wasted zero time in going straight to the top of the True Wireless royalty. Thus, I am reviewing the Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless.

I have owned quite a few Sennheiser products over the years. I enjoy their products from the stylistic design to the sound quality they offer. Sennheiser has been able to cross between the audiophile market and general consumer market successfully. I have recommended the Momentum 2 Wireless headphones to many people looking for a full over-ear wireless solution. The M2W was my go-to wireless headphone for quite a while. Since the MTW and the M2W have the name Momentum in common, I was interested to know if there were any other parallels.

One other point is that these are currently the TOTL in the True Wireless realm at USD 300. I know that many of my readers are just starting down the rabbit hole and have tried neckband wireless monitors or AirPods and that at the $300 asking price these constitute a significant investment. In the end, you have to decide what direction you want to go with your gear. In my time with the MTW, they have endured many dog walks and much time at the gym. I found them to be a superb on the go option. One difference between you and I may be the fact that most of my listening is in short sessions. My career does not allow me to listen at a desk, nor do I have a long commute that doesn’t involve me driving my car, in which I can’t use earphones while operating a motor vehicle. The reason I point this out is that I always have the luxury of a charger nearby. The MTW would quickly become my standard hit the road gear, along with my keys, eyeglasses, and wallet, if my lifestyle were more commute oriented. Unfortunately, I didn’t have any vacation or air travel planned during my time with the MTW, but I can undoubtedly say these would be a must-have travel companion. On the go, top tier wireless sound quality, what’s not to like.

A Little Marketing Hype:

MOMENTUM True Wireless

A new dimension in wearable sound
    Uncompromised sound performance, state-of-the-art technology, and refined design all come together in Sennheiser’s True Wireless premium earbuds.

Discover a new way of listening

Make the music you love sound even better, whenever you want, wherever you are. These attractive earbuds, with Sennheiser’s audiophile driver technology, guarantee superior stereo sound performance at all times. Thanks to advanced Qualcomm apt-X Low Latency compatibility, you can experience media with perfectly lip-synced audio, whilst 2-mic noise cancellation beamforming technology and Transparent Hearing allows you to always be aware of your surroundings, with or without your music playing.

Experience long lasting comfort

Comfortably carry your music with you all day. These lightweight, splash resistant ear adapter come in 4 different ear tip sizes, ergonomically designed for the perfect fit. Just connect them and use the intuitive touch interface to control your music, answer phone calls or access your voice assistant with a single tap or swipe.

Appreciate timeless elegance

Enjoy excellent craftsmanship. Attention to detail and a strong sense of aesthetic make these small, shiny, lightweight earbuds one part listening instrument, one-part ready-to-wear accessory. With premium black housing, polished metallic spin ring and gold-plated charging pins, function meets fashion in iconic design. A handy and compact charging case allows you to extend 4 hours of battery life to 12, so you can enjoy all day use, for years to come.

Personalize your experience

Listen to your music the way you want with Sennheiser Smart Control, the next generation companion app. This free dedicated app for iOS and Android provides an effortless way to control, personalize, update and configure your headphone, headset or soundbar.

3.jpg
    4.jpg

WHAT’S IN THE BOX:
    • MOMENTUM True Wireless earbuds
    • Silicone ear adapter sets (in size (XS/S/M/L)
    • Charging case
    • USB-C charging cable 20 cm
    • Manuals (Safety Guide & Quick Guide)

11.jpg

Unboxing and Accessories:

5 .jpg

The MTW comes in a small box with only a top and a bottom. No fancy sleeves, no 21-gun salute. The box top has the Sennheiser name and logo in black font, with the logo in the upper left corner and the brand name in the upper right corner. Immediately below that is the word Momentum (in silver), and the words True Wireless below that in a light blue. There is a photo of the charging case and the earbuds below the wording. At the bottom of the front, there are four icons, representing music and calls, touch control, voice assistant access, and battery life and charging case. On the right side of the box, top shows the Sennheiser original label and QPR, to verify they are genuine, as well as the words Bluetooth, AAC, Qualcomm apt X, and Qualcomm apt-X low latency. The left side of the box top shows you where you can download the Sennheiser Smart Control App. The bottom box shows the four previous icons, plus displays that they are Bluetooth 5.0 compliant.

6 .jpg
    7.jpg
    8 .jpg

Upon removing the box top, you are staring at the charging case and both the L and R earbuds cradled in a foam cutout. There is also a tiny information sheet that explains you need to plug in the USB-C cable to wake up and charge the earbuds. Under the foam cutout is a white box which includes all of the accessories and paperwork that comes as a pack-in with your purchase. I will include some photos of what you receive as a pack-in since my description of the box top was exhausting.

10.jpg

Build and Design:

12 .jpg

The design is top notch, as I have grown to expect from Sennheiser. There is nothing flashy about the design itself, but if you are familiar with Sennheiser, I would say it falls in line with the brand in general. The shells of the monitors are all black plastic with a silver faceplate emblazoned with the Sennheiser logo.

With regards to the build quality, the earbuds are plastic, and while they do not feel fragile nor does the plastic feel low-grade, I was cautious with the $300 earbud. In my mind, you cannot be sure how many drops the plastic shell could withstand. I am super careful with all of my stuff, but as we all know accidents do happen.

9 .jpg

The stem(nozzle) of the earbud is very short and has a tiny catch lip for the ear tips to stay in place. I was fortunate that the large stock ear tips fit me perfectly, so I didn’t try any of my usual go-to tips. The fact that the tips seem proprietary is an issue that Sennheiser should overcome. I have many ear tips in my collection and some that I swear by when using my IEM’s. I would have liked to use my go-to tips, but I could imagine that the shallow nozzle would be a challenge. It does appear that Comply tips would work as they can grip a nozzle, but I wouldn't say I like using foam ear tips, not to mention that the overall signature of the MTW is warm and foam tips exacerbate the warmth and can detract from some of the treble extension.

It is nice to have only the earbud in your ear and nothing more around your neck, thus True Wireless. After using a neckband type of wireless headset, I was pleased with the design of the MTW. They are super lightweight and just a quick insertion in your ear and a little twist, locks them in place reasonably well. Again, your ear shape and finding the correct seal will have everything to do with the level of comfort that you achieve and how well they stay put once inserted.

14.jpg

Sennheiser has added sweat and water resistance, IPX 4, to protect the buds from your workout sessions at the gym or any water you may come in contact. They are not waterproof; they are merely resistant, but I found that they stood up to the test at workouts at the gym. I would say swimming and showering, no, but for the gym they are excellent.

The charging case also has a beautiful design, and I like the aesthetics of the cloth covering on the case, reminiscent of some cellphone cases I have used in the past. I think it is a fresh design. The case is not substantial, in size, when sitting on a desk or tabletop, but I felt its bulk when it is in my shorts or pant pockets. It would be fine in a backpack or a jacket pocket, but it was a bit too much in my pant pockets. Size has to be a consideration since you will need and want to carry the charging case with you. There is a small LED light on the rear of the charging case that indicates the level of charge in the case, green for over 50 percent, yellow for less than 50 percent and red for empty. It is a nice touch to let you know where you stand with your charge at a glance of the case.

13.jpg

The MTW has a quoted battery life of 12 hours (including case charges), and as previously stated I am never that far from a charging cable. I ran them out of charge one time, and it appeared to be around 3:30-3:45 hours of use, but I always find myself almost maxing out the volume when listening to the MTW, so I am confident that has an impact on how much battery life I received. You can use your charging case to give you two extra charges so I would assume you would have 10-11 hours of total charge at your disposal.

15.jpg

One design key is the fact the there is no on/off switch on the earbuds and waking them up is achieved by removing them from the charging case, then they are ready to function. Powering down is accomplished by cradling them in the charger. I am not sure there is a need for a formal on/off switch, but it could be an added feature on future models. Once you remove one, or both, from your ear, the music stops automatically, but I always immediately trickle charged them in the case, upon removal from my ear, because I was never quite sure if pulling them out of my ears and setting them on a table would slowly discharge them.

Connection

The MTW utilizes Bluetooth 5.0, which works for me fortunately since every handset I have is Bluetooth 5.0 compliant. I had zero issues pairing and connecting with any of the handsets I own. The connections were quick and stable. I also found that using the Sennheiser Smart Control app helped with the pairing and as well you could verify the remaining battery in the app. The app also updates the firmware of the MTW. I received a firmware update during my review time and am now on 1.25.0; I like the changes it brought. More on the app later.

I found the wireless range to be exceptional. I could leave my phone charging on my desk in the office and walk anywhere around my apartment without a cutout or hitch. I cannot complain about this at all, as in the past with my wireless gear would start to fade from my office to the kitchen, and how inconvenient that is when you need to refresh your adult beverage. These easily allowed for 30 feet, which was the Bluetooth 4.2 standard, and then some.

The call quality is outstanding. On my calls I never once had the person on the receiving end ask if I was using a headset. The sound of the calls is full and not tinny or robotic sounding in the least. The microphones did an excellent job of cutting noise, including wind. I don’t recall ever using them in a strong wind, which can challenge even the most adept wireless mics, but in breezy conditions, no problem.

The MTW supports apt-X, and if I am not mistaken, they are the first to support low-latency apt-X as well. Low-latency reduces delay and improves the end-to-end speed of the audio transmission, resulting in high quality, synchronized user experience. This enhancement is incredibly useful for watching movies and sporting events without lag or synchronization issues in the audio. Bear in mind, that the apt-X and apt-X low-latency are codecs found in Android not iPhone and you iPhone users will have to utilize AAC or SBC.

Controls

One area I am just lukewarm with on the MTW is the touch controls. It took me quite a while to master the controls as I felt they are really sensitive to the touch. Sometimes I thought I was doing the right thing and would end up pausing the music or performing some other unwanted function. The good news is, with time, I became proficient in controlling the MTW.

The MTW operates as the Left side Master and the Right-side Slave. The left side will perform most of the controls for your music. One tap on the Left side will play and or pause. Two taps move forward to the next track, and three taps move backward in the tracks.

Touching the Left and the Right together for 5 seconds will enter pairing mode although I found it easier to use the Smart Control App for pairing.

The Right side controls your phone calls. The Right side will also allow you to access Siri or Google if you want to access your Digital Assistant. If a call is incoming one tap will answer, and if you're going to end the call, one tap will do that as well. If you would like to reject an incoming call, two taps will complete that task.

Volume control is another area that I had a difficult time mastering out of the box. Again, with time, I had zero issues. The Left earbud lowers the volume with a long press, and the Right earbud raises the volume with a long press. I would have to make a conscious effort to think about what function I wished to perform. One tap, two taps, long press, Left side, and Right side can be difficult for someone that struggles with walking and chewing gum at the same time.

There are a few voice prompts that you may hear such as when you hold the Left and Right for 5 seconds to enter pairing mode, you will listen to a soft female voice state “Pairing,” and when you remove your buds and put them in your ear you will hear “Power On-Connected.”

Sennheiser Smart Control App

17.jpg

I chose to pair the MTW through the Smart Control App. I also utilized it for the firmware update and to check battery status. Before the 1.25.0 firmware update, you could see the battery remaining for the Left and Right buds independently. After the update, it only shows one battery remaining notification. The new display makes more sense to me; I was never sure why it would show both sides independently because you are going to charge both when they need a charge.

18.jpg
    19.jpg
    20.jpg

21.jpg

If you are a person that likes to EQ their music, EQ’ing is completed through the app. There are not any presets to choose, and there is no ten channel EQ. Instead, Sennheiser decided to have a “dot” that you can touch and slide anywhere you would like to adjust the sound. I preferred the flat sound, in the dead center of the EQ.

22.jpg
    23.jpg

From the app, you can also control the Transparency Mode which allows you to hear ambient sounds without interfering with the sound quality that you are enjoying. I found the feature to work very well, but it is not a feature I needed for my daily usage. The isolation for me is very good so I could understand that the practical use of the Transparency Mode in many commuter situations and I am confident the majority of folks will leave it on.

Review Setup:

My review was written utilizing the Samsung S10 +, streaming Tidal Hi-Fi and Masters as well as Qobuz Hi-Rez.

Moving on to the sound section….

I have to preface the sound section by saying that this is a really good sound for a wireless earbud. Those of you that follow my reviews know that I review many mid-tier and TOTL IEM wired offerings. I am not comparing the MTW to any level of wired IEM’s at the $300 price point or otherwise; I am strictly reviewing these on their sound merit. One other point as mentioned above is that I am listening to these with a flat EQ. That would enable me to evaluate these without any lift in treble or drop in the bass.

To my ears, it is pretty amazing that the MTW has a similar house wireless sound, as I recall, from my extended time with the Momentum 2 Wireless. The smoothness of the Senn mids and bass is ever present in the MTW. It is Deja vu for me, and I feel right at home with the Sennheiser MTW and its sound. I have, for the most part, always loved the silky tone of the Sennheiser offerings, I have tried, wired or wireless.

The bass is solid and deep with a proper seal. Powering the bass are 7mm drivers which are tuned to assist in creating isolation from the outside. The bass isn’t the most transparent and detailed that I have heard, but it is awe-inspiring for a wireless earbud. The depth is impressive, and to my ears, the bass and lower mids create a full rich and deep signature. It is not bloomy and muffled but does not have transient bass layers; it is more the type of bass that is warm, inviting and mood setting and provides a thump to the bass frequencies. Impressive for a wireless earbud and very reminiscent in the bass of the full sized M2W headphones from Sennheiser.

The mids are smooth and flowing and again are set on flat EQ. With the EQ you could easily create a “U” shape, or you could push the mids front and center. The lower mids support the bass frequencies to round out the fullness of the signature. On some of the vocal tracks, I found the vocals to be a bit far back for my taste, but again you may be able to adjust this to your liking. The upper register of the mids has clarity and detail but in that creamy Sennheiser way of reproducing mid-range. Many times, I have found that on graphs the Senns will have a dip in the upper mids, and while I hear a slight pullback, it is what creates that smooth, silky Sennheiser mid-range tone. I am not bothered by anything I hear in the bass or the mids, but of course YMMV.

The treble has an average extension. There is never a time that I have felt that the treble was harsh or abusive. The lower treble shows detail, but the upper treble is what creates the hint of liveliness. I will say that in my brief exposure to wireless headsets I have been impressed at both ends of the spectrum with the MTW. If the treble had just a touch more sparkle in the mid to upper ranges, it would probably allow for more details to shine through and thus minimizing the overall bassy feel that can be apparent. All in all the treble has enough air to almost create balance in the MTW. I think it is important to note that warm, bassier signatures generate a level of isolation that works so well for a daily commute or for environments that you are more than likely going to use a True Wireless earbud.

The soundstage is average and rectangular with there being more width than depth. In some of my music, I was impressed with the level of stereo separation.

16.jpg

You might want to own this IEM if:

+ You want a true wireless solution

+ You prefer a smooth, balanced, non-offensive signature

+ Top tier sound amongst other wireless options

+ You crave a comfortable fit and the best on the go sound available

+ Price is not a consideration

In Closing

The $300 price tag can be a bit imposing. One must put this into perspective. I have a feeling in the true wireless realm the consumer could buy and return many items before finding the proper blend of features and sound quality. I went straight to the top of the food chain in True Wireless with the MTW.

It is a sound quality that is reminiscent of the Sennheiser Momentum 2 Wireless full-sized headphones I owned and adored for many years. Impressive indeed! The call quality is reliable as is the connectivity to the Bluetooth 5.0.

The Smart Control app assists in pairing the earbuds as well as allowing you to turn off/on the Transparency mode. Transparency Mode works incredibly well and will enable you to enjoy your tunes and still hear the ambient noises of your world.

For my use, the battery was sufficient, but you will need to asses your daily use and your individual needs. I am always close to a charging cable.

With apt-X Low latency, I observed zero issues with synchronization. iPhone users will need to use AAC and SBC. It is enjoyable not to be plagued with lag and synchronization issues. Watch your events and not be reminded of the Godzilla movies in days gone by, where lips and words don’t sync.

I do wish the controls were more straightforward and designed more for folks, such as myself, who would rather tap and not think about how many taps or which side I am tapping.

Without hesitation, these are at the top of a very short list of True Wireless gear in which I have an interest. Personally, If it required me to save my money a bit longer, for top-tier sound quality I would make that sacrifice for the Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless.
      Sennheiser likes this.
  3. dweaver
    True Wireless, all class
    Written by dweaver
    Published Dec 16, 2018
    Pros - excellent audio quality that will satisfy all but the most demanding audiophile
    Cons - battery life is OK but could be longer, controls take practice to use
    Please see updated information at the end of review regarding charging and connecting issues.
    20181216_145126.jpg
    Prologue: (skip down to the review proper if you don't want to read my wandering thoughts :wink: )

Over the past few years the lure of Wireless connectivity has grown as phone makers start to drop the classic earphone jack and ear/headphone makers improved Bluetooth audio going from being OK to very good to great in regards to audio quality. Today you can buy LDAC or APTx-HD fullsize headphones or devices like the Radsone ES100 that allow you use any wired headphone or earphone with almost flawless fidelity, sometime even trumping the built in headphone jack of many phones.

Coming in to this fray is True Wireless IEM's. The draw being ZERO cables of any kind without needing to use a headphone. The catch being how do you make them sound good and offer good enough battery life, and have good enough connectivity.

I almost pulled the trigger on the Sony WF1000X but held off because I had multiple disconnects in the store while demoing them. They sounded good but the disconnects were just unacceptable for a $300CAD+ device. Later on Sony released the WF700N and the disconnect issues seemed to be addressed. So after reading some favorable reviews I bought some on sale for $180CAD. For the most part I enjoyed the IEM except it had a very short battery life of about 2.5hrs. Frustrating because they would die in the middle of e session far to often sucking all enjoyment from them.

So when some of the other big players started to offer true wireless options I started to keep my eyes open. Several seemed promising such as Master and Dynamic MW07 or the B&O E8, or the upcoming Audio Technica offerings. But they all had drawbacks. The MW07 seemed to suffer from battery issues, the E8 from lag and connectivity issues, AT offerings had big delays and when they did arrive seemed to lack bass.

So when Sennheiser entered the fray with the Momentum True Wireless I was intrigued. The offering of APTx or AAC seemed to be as good as it was going to get for True Wireless and a few APTx only devices I had tried recently gave me hope that when paired with a good driver and proper tuning, these 2 codecs would be good enough.

So after wavering on the fence for a few weeks and waiting for them to be available in Canada, I finally decided to take the $400CAD plunge and try a pair direct from Sennheiser. With a 30 day satisfaction guarantee I figured what the heck! Then waiting 3 weeks for them to REALLY have them in stock I darn near cancelled my order several times...

When Sennheiser finally had stock my earphones arrived the very same day I received an email from Sennheiser so kudo for fast shipping!

Now I want to be clear. I was feeling like I over spent this year as I bought 2 other head/earphones while I was waiting for these to come in. So I was half convinced I was just not going to like the MTW enough to want to keep them. More to the POINT I REALLY WANTED to NOT LIKE THEM so I could send them back..

Review:
    20181216_145518.jpg
    Packaging and accessories: 4/5
    This packaging for the Momentum True Wireless is concise and professional bordering on sparse. Gone are the days when Sennheiser felt the need to over engineer their packaging to justify the product. Inside the box I found a nice fabric covered case and the IEM's in a separate foam housing. Underneath all the foam was a neat little box containing the extra tips, USB cable, and manuals. The included tips were 4 sets ranging from extra small to large. I switched to the large tips to get a proper seal. The USB cable is short and tips just enough to get started. A starter set of foam tips would have been nice but since they are always disposable the included are acceptable. I find the cloth covered charge case quite nice with a posh feel to it. The IEM's mount easily inside the case for hassle free charging.
    20181216_144558.jpg 20181216_145549.jpg

Bass: 4/5
    Just before getting the MTW I had just bought a pair of AKG N200 and KEF Space One Wired ANC headphones. Both offering a balanced to bright signature. So upon initial listen of the MTW I was overwhelmed with it's BIG BASS. Fortunately the bass actually settled down after a couple hours of use. But the MTW is not a neutral IEM by any stretch. The bass is nice though offering a full sound that compliments most music, without overwhelming the midrange or treble. It lacks a bit of detail and texture compared to a great wired headphone but seems very much in line with all but the absolute best Bluetooth headphones.

Midrange: 4.5/5
    The midrange is slightly on the warm side but manages to have more detail than the Sony WF700N equaling the AKG N200 for detail while offering a more natural sound to my ears than the N200. The midrange conveys just enough detail and emotion to capture singers like Patricia Barber's slight sibilance on their S enunciation and the rasp of singers like Bruce Springsteen.

Treble: 4.5/5
    The treble region offers plenty of detail without crossing line into being strident, being a smidge to safe. After using the Space One and N200 I started to appreciate having that slight extra treble presence so did notice it missing on the MTW. On the flip side I have had zero ear fatigue with the MTW which I had using both KEF and AKG offerings. So if you suffer from treble ear fatigue the MTW will suite you better.

Soundstage / 3D Presentation: 4/5
    As a lover of a big three dimensional sound stage I always hope to get some of this quality even from IEM's. In this regard to MTW is actually pretty solid, offering a higher than average sense of width, depth, and height. In comparison the N200 sounds much more 2 dimensional. But I do not think it rivals old classic products that offer the best 3D experience. But considering this is a wireless device that has to make compromises to achieve it's goal the MTW is still impressive in this regard.

Bluetooth Connectivity: 4.5/5
    Lets face it, if you keep losing signal your music is going to sound awful no matter how good the driver is in your head/earphone... In this area the MTW is rock solid in my opinion and experience. I have tested walking away from my phone and was able to go to another room in my house where I normally start to lose signal. The MTW did start to lose signal but it was much more tolerable than several other BT products I own and was just about as reliable as my best BT devices. It bested the AKG N200, Radsone ES100, and NAD HP70 for example and was only beat by the Sony MDR1000XM3. When out and about I had two split second dropouts at one train stop that normally causes BT issues often to the point of 5-10 dropouts with some products.

Isolation: 4/5
    Isolation is very good on the MTW rivaling the WF700N which actually has ANC and besting the AKG N200 by quite a bit. These are not super isolators like most bean shaped headphones from Shure/Westone/Fender and others, but they do offer decent isolation. To the point that Sennheiser offers a transparency mode to allow you to hear the outside world when needed.

IEM functionality and software: 4.5/5
    One of the challenges of BT products this size and shape is how to make them functional. In this regard Sennheiser has chosen to use a touch pad on each earbud. This touchpad does not have swiping and instead relies on quick touches, double taps, long pause touches, and the like to manage things. It actually uses BOTH buds in this process. a slow touch on the left ear turns the volume down for example or a slow touch on the right ear to turn up the volume. This means you need to READ the manual and practice to get good at using the buds. I personally find they work pretty well and fully anticipate I will be able to master using them.

The software these use is equally excellent. Allowing for customization of the EQ which is the saved on the IEM and then will follow to other devices without the software. YES, the IEM remembers your EQ! The EQ is more organic in nature versus technical but I found it intuitive and easy to use and appreciated NOT being overwhelmed by to many options.

Battery Life: 3.5/5
    Battery life is the biggest Achilles heel of the true wireless IEM market. In this regard the MTW also suffers like it's competitors. But it at least achieves what it advertises as I was able to comfortably get 4hrs of use on every charge so far listening at around 50% volume. The WF700N on the other hand has never achieved it's 3hr battery life claim and my N200 has failed to reach it's 8 hour battery life claim (wired IEM's generally get double the battery life of true wireless models). So because some TW models have achieved around a 5 to 5.5hr battery life I will give these an appropriate middle range score in this area.

Final Thoughts:
    So in the end I could not dislike this IEM enough to send it back! They just offer to much musical goodness along with technical proficiency. Are they perfect? No, nobody has managed that yet... But they are good enough to justify their price in my opinion and when (not if) they go on sale they will be well worth their price for most people who want to truly cut ALL OF THE CABLES!

It appears I may been to eager to post my review. Since then I have had 2 separate instances where the case was drained even though it was just plugged in a showing green, both instances the IEMs were also drained. I have also had a couple instances where I have needed to reset the IEM to get it to turn on and connect to my phone. Looking in the forum others have had similar issues. I have knocked a full point off my review score and may adjust lower depending on Sennheisers response to the issue. Stayed tuned...

OK, the more I think about the 2 instances I had major issues with the MTW and case seeming to be dead. Both times I used the MTW in bed and then put in the case in the middle of the night and both times the case was unceremoniously lowered/dropped onto the floor with no attention to position or being bumped. Last night I just took an extra couple seconds to place it properly on the floor and no issues today at all. I also make sure it is place right side up in my pocket as well.

I have adjusted the score back up to a 4. If after a few days the problem never reappears I will decide of I will increase the score back to 4.5.

To recap, the case appears to be susceptible to being bumped or getting placed in a position other than flat and lid facing upwards or the IEMs can cause the case to drain and they get mixed up as well.

20181216_144631.jpg 20181216_144654.jpg
    1. View previous replies...
    2. dweaver
      I am not sure about the battery issue mentioned but it wouldn't surprise me if that's the case. I really like the MTW sound but do hope Sennheiser releases a firmware update to address some of the technical issues.
      dweaver, Dec 29, 2018
    3. pablohoney
      Which has better sound quality, these or B&O E8?
      pablohoney, Jan 1, 2019
    4. dweaver
      Sorry I have not heard the E8 so cant answer that question.
      dweaver, Jan 1, 2019

Comments

To view comments, simply sign up and become a member!