The Ti IEM utilizes pure titanium foil for the diaphragm material. All components inside our IEMs was 100% designed and tooled in-house, resulting a totally unique product. The sonic signature of the Ti IEM is very aggressive, with enhanced bass and

Periodic Audio Titanium (Ti)

• Specifications
    Brinell Hardness
    2770 Megapascals

Recent Reviews

1. mejoshua
    Speed specialist - exquisite bass and treble
    Written by mejoshua
    Published May 30, 2017
    Pros - Weighty and fast bass experience, detailed treble without being splashy or peaky
    Cons - Mids might be a tad thin; V shaped signature might have mids that are too recessed for some
    Before I begin the review, I would like to take the opportunity to thank Dan and team at Periodic Audio for allowing me to review their debut IEM lineup. As a budding reviewer, I really do appreciate the opportunity given. The IEMs will be sent back to Periodic Audio after the review. Because I can only post one review for each item at a time, the same opening paragraphs will be repeated for all three IEMs, with only the review on sound differing.

A short preamble before the review proper: Periodic Audio takes an interesting approach to their design philosophy. I will not bore you with details here – you can find all you need to know about their company and approach on their very neatly designed website,

Two things that I found most novel in terms of design and engineering choices, which is reflected in their company name, is firstly, their choice of driver material is based off certain elements on the periodic table. Their opening lineup includes Mg (Magnesium driver), Ti (Titanium driver) and Be (Beryllium driver), which is their current top-of-the-line offering. Beryllium seems to be a popular choice of material for hifi, which I recall the popular Focal Utopia headphones also utilizes.

Secondly, Dan and team have chosen to use a polycarbonate shell for the IEM housing, which purportedly reduces resonance drastically. I was skeptical at first, but after my initial impressions which I will go into later, I realized that it sounds like they are on to something.

Packaging and Accessories:

The packaging comes in a utilitarian white cardboard box, and in it contains the IEMs, as well as a selection of tips including silicone and complys in small Ziploc packs, stuffed inside the yellow gold metal container with the Periodic Audio logo emblazoned on the top shell. They have also generously included an in-flight adapter as well as a 3.5mm to 6.35mm (1/4”) adaptor. Some may raise an issue with the quality of the packaging, but personally I can see that Periodic Audio has chosen to focus on the quality of the product and accessories, which they clearly delivered on.

All 3 Periodic IEMs sport the same outer shell and housing, with the differentiating factor being the piece that covers the back of the IEM indicating the type of metal used. The Mg has a shinier silver back plate; the Ti has a slightly darker hue, a gunmetal type tint back plate; and the Be being the easiest to spot among the pack, having a darkish golden back plate that is quite aesthetically pleasing. The polycarbonate shell feels tougher and harder than it sounds, and is a deep black. What is also interesting is that there are no L/R indicators on the shells or the strain reliefs, but the guys at Periodic have opted to colour-code the earpiece filters. The left earpiece has a blue filter, and the right has a red filter. The only downside about this is when trying to identify them in an environment that may have little light – it might be difficult to tell the difference then. I had no issues during the day though.

The housing itself is also a vented design, and the vent can be found at the top of the earpiece.

My only niggle with the IEM design probably has to be the cable. The cable seems run-of-the-mill, and does not feel sturdy enough to endure daily abuse. It also has some cable memory, tends to get tangled easily and is also not very compliant during coiling and storing.

Comfort and Seal:

I found all 3 IEMs to fit well and fit quickly, with very decent levels of isolation when I’m out and about during the day. This is with the default silicone tips. Once they are in, they also do not move about easily, and I find that they sit snugly in my ears. The IEMs can be worn both over ear and on ear, but when worn with the cable dangling downwards I tend to get microphonics. This is largely a non-issue when the cable is worn over ear though.

Sources used – Onkyo DP-X1A, Sony A15

Looking at the frequency graph as well as the short description accompanying it on the Ti product page, one would expect the Ti to be aggressive and harshly v-shaped. I am someone who is quite averse to v-shaped signatures. This was exactly what I was expecting and I was very surprised to find that it was not even half as bad as I thought. It was a very clean signature with significant heft in the bass regions, as well as a well extended treble without peaks or sibilance, which is something that I am impressed with, being someone who is acutely sensitive to the treble domains. I would not disagree that it is a v-shaped signature with a clear focus on the two extremes but as a mids lover I found this surprisingly easy to listen to.

You get a very similar tuning with the Mg but the bass of the Ti is definitely further north of neutral, and gives noticeably more kick than the Mg. It extends well down below, and with songs that have some real sub bass action going on you're really going to feel it. Of course it's not so linear, with a greater emphasis on the mid bass but clearly this is not one of your average and ubiquitous Beats-styled earphones with just bass and little else. The midbass is tuned in such a way that it is heavy, yes, but only insofar as giving you all the texturing and rumble that is conveyed through a slightly more romantic decay, yet without the sense of bloom and muddiness that most other IEMs end up sounding. The turn of pace is just speedy enough to hit the next note before you feel like the bass is dragging you down. What results is a very immersive bass experience with a lot of fine detailing, and what really hit me was how tactile it felt.

There is great clarity in the mids, and without any bleeding from the Low frequencies what you get is a very clean tonality and good resolution. Vocal lovers might be somewhat disappointed here though, if you are looking for warmth. I noted earlier that the bass is a tad boosted in the mid bass, which does lend itself to some body in the midrange, but its core signature still remains a v-shape. The mids are in no way recessed, mind you, just that it lacks the thickness of note and warmth that characterises more mid centric IEMs. What you get is a very clean tone with great detail, but what some might consider on the dry or analytical side. I would also say that compared with the Mg, the Ti has more detail and resolves midrange notes a little more capably. Instrumental timbre is also reproduced fairly accurately, and has good bite and crunch, especially with electric guitars and synthesised tones.

The treble is fast, clear and extended. I felt less fatigue than I expected going by the frequency graph of the Ti. The treble is quick footed with lightning fast decays, resulting in a very detailed rendering of cymbal heavy tracks. I could pick out the individual crashes and shimmers that I usually would not pay attention to, and even then I could not detect sibilance or any semblance of harsh peaks that could irritate listeners during longer listening sessions. This speaks highly of the expert tuning of the treble. I particularly enjoyed Snarky Puppy and instrumental jazz on the Ti.

With the Mg as a baseline reference, the Ti provides a slightly wider stage with increased resolving ability. Imagine facing the semi-circle of the Mg's stage, but having a little more width that extends further left and right, with its ends going slightly behind the ears. It lacks ultimate z-axis detail and depth to sound truly holographic, but is a euphonic tuning nonetheless. Separation is still top notch and reminiscent of the Mg, where individual instruments are clearly delineated in the stereo field. Imaging is again good in its price tier but may not be the best because of how depth is not as well portrayed as width and height.

Again, the Ti, like the Mg, would pair well with darker/warmer sources. While a cleaner and brighter source might appeal to trebleheads, the majority of listeners may have early onset of fatigue with less synergistic pairings. I picked the Sony A15 over the DP-X1A pairing for a better resultant tonal match. I'm not too sure if the bass levels are heavy enough for bassheads, not being a basshead myself, but I would definitely recommend using the Ti for bass heavy and/or more treble indulgent genres like electronica, metal, and instrumental jazz type music.

Periodic Audio has served up a potent combination of IEMs suited to different budgets and tastes in its entrance to the audiophile market. One can hardly go wrong with either the Mg, Ti or the Be. For my personal preferences I’d pick the Be any day, because I’m biased toward a musical tuning that has focus on engaging mids and quality bass. But if one is on a budget, the Mg comes with a high recommendation. I find the Ti more of a specialist – if you love rock or metal, or genres that tend more toward a v-shaped tonal profile then the Ti would be perfect. Well done, Dan and team at Periodic Audio!

To view comments, simply sign up and become a member!