The Mg IEM utilizes a high magnesium content alloy (96% Mg) for the diaphragm material. All components inside our IEMs was 100% designed and tooled in-house, resulting a totally unique product. The sonic signature of the Mg IEM is relatively neutral

Periodic Audio Magnesium (Mg)

4/5,

Brinell Hardness
    260 Megapascals

Recent Reviews

1. mejoshua
    Naturally neutral and incredible value
    Written by mejoshua
    Published May 30, 2017
    Pros - Even across the spectrum with great bass and energetic treble
    Cons - Mids might be a little on the thin and cold side for some
    Before I begin the review, I would like to take the opportunity to thank Dan and team at Periodic Audio for allowing me to review their debut IEM lineup.
    Because I can only post one review for one item at a time, the same opening paragraphs will be used for all three IEMs, with only the part on sound differing.

A short preamble before the review proper: Periodic Audio takes an interesting approach to their design philosophy. I will not bore you with details here – you can find all you need to know about their company and approach on their very neatly designed website, periodicaudio.com.

Two things that I found most novel in terms of design and engineering choices, which is reflected in their company name, is that firstly, their choice of driver material is based off certain elements on the periodic table. Their opening lineup includes Mg (Magnesium driver), Ti (Titanium driver) and Be (Beryllium driver), which is their current top of the line offering. Beryllium seems to be a popular choice of material for hifi, which I recall the popular Focal Utopia headphones also utilizes.

Secondly, Dan and team have chosen to use a polycarbonate shell for the IEM housing, which purportedly reduces resonance drastically. I was skeptical at first, but after my initial impressions which I will go into later, I realized that it sounds like they are on to something.

Packaging and Accessories:

The packaging comes in a utilitarian white cardboard box, and in it contains the IEMs, as well as a selection of tips including silicone and complys in small Ziploc packs, stuffed inside the yellow gold metal container with the Periodic Audio logo emblazoned on the top shell. They have also generously included a in flight adapter as well as a 3.5mm to 6.35mm (1/4”) adaptor. Some may raise an issue with the quality of the packaging, but personally I can see that Periodic Audio has chosen to focus on the quality of the product and accessories, which they clearly delivered.

Design:

All 3 Periodic IEMs sport the same outer shell and housing, with the differentiating factor being the piece that covers the back of the IEM indicating the type of metal used. The Mg has a shinier silver back plate; the Ti has a darker hue, gunmetal type tint back plate; and the Be being the easiest to spot among the pack, having a darkish golden back plate that is quite aesthetically pleasing. The polycarbonate shell feels tougher and harder than it sounds, and is a deep black. What is also interesting is that there are no L/R indicators on the shells or the strain reliefs, but the guys at Periodic have opted to colour code the earpiece filters. The left earpiece has a blue filter, and the right has a red filter. The only downside about this is when trying to identify them in an environment that may have little light – it might be difficult to tell the difference then. I had no issues during the day though.

My only niggle with the IEM design might be the cable. The cable seems run of the mill, and does not feel sturdy enough to endure daily abuse. It has some cable memory, tends to get tangled easily and is also not very compliant during coiling and storing.

Comfort and Seal:

I found all 3 IEMs to fit well and fit quickly, with very decent levels of isolation when I’m out and about during the day. This is with the default silicone tips. Once they are in, they also do not move about easily, and I find that they sit snugly in my ears.

Sources used – Onkyo DP-X1A, Sony A15

Being the most budget friendly option at 99USD, one might be tempted not to expect very much. I would like to proffer that the Mg holds the greatest value proposition in the lineup. It was the first model I tried, and I recall being impressed upon my initial listen. What immediately stood out was the clarity of the separation (and by extension the quality and extension of the treble), as well as the quality and quantity of bass, and this is something that all 3 models seem to really excel in. Tonally the Mg is pretty much neutral and clean, with a hint of a cold tilt in the mids which causes it to feel slightly laid back in the vocals.

Bass:

The low end is snappy but also hits with satisfying impact and punch. What I love most about my bass is that it needs to be tight but also produce good rumble and texture. Most IEMs either hit hard with a lot of midbass, or extend low with a lot of texture but lacks kick. The Mg ticks all the boxes in my checklist for a fantastic bass experience. Besides being snappy I can also easily hear a lot of texture and tactility in the bass response. What is so excellent about it is that when it feels like it is getting too rich and lush it moves to the next note – it never gets muddy or slow because it is just quick enough but you get all the accompanying texture and rumble. A lot of bass information is also conveyed, such as the timbre of the bass drum or the tone of the bassist’s notes, all of which I suspect is helped by the separation, which I will talk about later.

Mids:

The mids are focused front and center, but can tend to sound a hint on the thin side in terms of note thickness. This seems to be the only ‘weakness’ of sorts in terms of the tuning, however, this boils down to personal preference. The Mg’s mids lends itself to a slightly more analytical sound, which provides plenty of clarity, but tonally it sounds a little colder than what some might consider natural. However, I must also acknowledge that this may also be a result of my bias, because I tend to zoom in on mids and like my vocals to be a tad warm sounding. With all that said, it is only slightly colder, and this is also with reference to the other models in the lineup. Many would find that the mids are perfectly fine depending on one’s personal yardstick for vocal timbre.

Treble:

One other defining factor of the Periodic Audio lineup is the speed, definition and extension of the treble across all three models. For the Mg I felt that it had a quick decay and brilliant shimmer, resulting in plenty of treble micro-detailing. I could pick out each hit in rapid successive crashes of complex cymbal work – and the amazing thing is that it is neither harsh nor sibilant. This is remarkable because I consider myself to be very sensitive to treble, and looking at the graphs Periodic has provided I was mentally preparing myself to have some issues with the Mg and the Ti, but like most acknowledge, data and frequency graphs only tell half of the story. How they actually sound really pleasantly surprised me when I found that the treble was clearly one of its strong suits. With that said, the treble, in line with the mids, may also leave some feeling like it tilts toward a colder tonal profile, and not have the very brassy tone that some might desire.

Staging/Imaging/Separation:

Staging is decent on all three axes, with a little more width than depth or height. Even though some may consider the Mg on the intimate sounding side, its strength in separation leaves the listener never feeling like the music is congested or muddy, and this is most perceptibly demonstrated in complex instrumental arrangements, when one can pick out any one melodic or harmonic line and follow it easily. Imaging is average, and one can place instruments within the space of the stereo image thrown. The audio field is roughly a semi-circle extending a little from the sides of your ears reaching out to the space in front of your eyes. The separation and layering, nevertheless, for the Mg’s price range, is clearly outstanding, and makes for an almost irresistible value proposition.

Conclusion:

Periodic Audio has served up a potent combination of IEMs suited to different budgets and tastes in its entrance to the audiophile market. One can hardly go wrong with either the Mg, Ti or the Be. For my personal preferences I’d pick the Be any day, because I’m biased toward a musical tuning that has focus on engaging mids and quality bass. But if one is on a budget, the Mg comes with a high recommendation. I find the Ti more of a specialist – if you love rock or metal, or genres that tend more toward a v-shaped tonal profile then the Ti would be perfect. Well done, Dan and team at Periodic Audio!

images

1. 20170529_211807_HDR.jpg
      mgunin, hqssui and abdullah1 like this.

Comments

To view comments, simply sign up and become a member!