4 BA universal fit

InEarz Zen 4

• ZEN-slider-image.png

The pinnacle of design and technology has come to Zen. With rich bass, smooth mids and exhilarating highs, this 4 driver in-ear system tells a story that just has to be heard to believe. Featuring ADEL Technology along with an expertly crafted 4-driver balanced armature module. The universal fit shell comes with a selection of replaceable tips to ensure a comfort fit that can be personalized. Your ears are punished enough, isn’t it time to let them relax in a state of Zen.

Features
    • 2 Low, 1 Mid, 1 High Balanced Armatures
    • FR Range: 20Hz-20kHz
    • 4-Way Crossover
    • Impedance: 28 Ohm @ 1kHz
    • Noise Isolation: -26dB (+/- 2dB)
    • Input connector: 1/8″ (3.5mm)Stereo Jack

Recent Reviews

1. faithguy19
    Great Balanced Quad-Driver BA
    Written by faithguy19
    Published Aug 28, 2018
    Pros - Neutral Sound that works great with lots of genres.
    Cons - N/A
    Disclaimer: This product is a review unit sent as part of a review tour. I want to thank In-Earz and BulldogXTRM for helping to setup the tour and allowing me to be a part of it. The review unit will be sent to the next participant and is not given as a free product. The thoughts and impressions provided below are my own.

About Me: I am an iem lover who enjoys testing and listening to great sounding iem's. I would describe myself as a basshead audiophile (if there can be such a thing). Lately, I have been listening to a lot of EDM and so my impressions of the Zens will be based on my listening to that genre through my iPhone X. RIP to my ibasso DX200.

About the Company: InEarz is a company that has been in the game since at least 2003 and are based in Florida, USA. They provide quality audio products in custom and universal form for musicians and audiophiles alike. Recently they have partnered with Stephen Ambrose of Asius and Adel technologies fame. As a result we have the formidable Zen 2 and Zen 4 in-ear monitors.

About the Product: The Zen 4 is a quad driver balanced armature earphone featuring Adel technology. Features and tech specs included below:

Features

· 2 Low, 1 Mid, 1 High Balanced Armatures

· FR Range: 20Hz-20kHz

· 4-Way Crossover

· Impedance: 28 Ohm @ 1kHz

· Noise Isolation: -26dB (+/- 2dB)

· Input connector: 1/8″ (3.5mm)Stereo Jack

IMG_9844.jpg

Accessories: Both the Zen 2 and Zen 4 come in a nice small/medium box closed with a magnetic flap. Inside you are greeted with the InEarz Audio logo as well as the earphones themselves. Included is a canvas carrying case with a carabiner as well as a very nice round aluminum water-resistant (proof?) storage case. Having two storage options is a definite win in my book. Also included are sets of silicone and foam tips in the S, M, L variety. I found the tips to be of good quality and had no issue establishing a solid consistent seal even with my small ear canals. While more tips are always welcome I feel most will be able to find a good seal with the supplied tips. Also included are a leather cord-wrap system and cleaning tool. I would say accessories are on par for what you would expect at this price point.
    IMG_9853.jpg

IMG_9863.jpg

Build Quality & Comfort: The build quality of both the Zen 2 and Zen 4 are identical. Both are exceptionally built and comfort is great for long-term listening. As someone with small ears I am always concerned about comfort. I am happy to report that there are no sharp edges or bulky profile here. The Zens have a slim profile and excellent comfort. The cable itself seems to be microphonic free and looks to be a typical ciem twisted cable. The cable is solid with a standard 2-pin connector. If you are a cable believer the Zens can benefit from a cable upgrade but is by no means necessary. With the help of the included Adel module listener fatigue was non-existent. No complaints here. Solid all around.

Sound: Coming to the most important part of the review we have the sound. I spent my week and a half with my Zen 4 comparing it closely to the Zen 2 and Noble Sage. The Sage shares a similar price point to the Zen-4 at 599 usd. After extensive comparisons between the three there are a few conclusions I have drawn.

Of the three I would say the Zen 4 are the most neutral of the three. There is not a genre of music that I could thrown at the Zen-4 where it did not sound at least good if not downright exceptional. If anything the Zen 4 may be a little on the warm side but just barely. The Zen 4 maintain a good balance across the musical spectrum. Bass is plenty when called upon but it never bled into the other frequencies in my testing. I would in no way classify the Zen 4 as a basshead earphone but when a song calls for it the bass is there. Treble is present without any noticeable sibilance or piercing peaks. Perhaps due to a better controlled treble in the Zen 4 but between the Zen 4 and Zen 2 perceived clarity was much better on the 2. That is not to say that the 4 was muddy at all but when switching back and forth between the 2 it gave that impression. As for the mids, once again the Zen 4 shows its strength. Vocals and guitars are not recessed at all and when called upon they can truly shine with the Zen 4. I can say that on the Zen 4 I enjoyed both male and female vocals without the perception that the earphone was coloring my experience in anyway.

Compared to the Noble Sage which shares its price point mid bass is a hair less. If pressed I would say the Zen 4 is the more neutral of the two with the Sage edging it out on clarity and bass presence. At this price it is often a matter of sound signature preference. If looking for a warmer earphone with a stronger bass presence I would go with the Noble Sage. If looking for a more neutral option definitely consider the Zen 4 which is a solid option at this price point and good for most genres.

Compared to the Zen 2 the Zen 4 is once again the more neutral of the two earphones. Perceived clarity is most definitely greater on the Zen 2 but that could easily be due to the increased brightness of the Zen 2. If the Zen 4 is neutral leaning towards warm I would describe the Zen 2 as bright leaning towards neutral.

Final Thoughts:

Overall, I would describe the Zen 4 as a neutral earphone that leans slightly on the warm side. It is a solid all-rounder that will fit with almost any genre and competes very well with products like the Noble Sage in its price range. Great job In-Earz Audio!
  2. BulldogXTRM
    Blissful Quad BA Universal
    Written by BulldogXTRM
    Published Jul 20, 2018
    Pros - Outstanding warm, neutral sound with a wide natural sound stage.
    Cons - None
    20180629_114428.jpg 20180629_114446.jpg 20180629_114601.jpg 20180629_114616.jpg 20180629_114620.jpg 20180629_114730.jpg 20180629_114739.jpg
    Blissful Quad BA Universal

Build/Design
    Comfort/Fit
    Provided free of charge during Head-Fi.org Tour
    Normal Retail Price: $599.00
    Pros: Outstanding warm but somewhat neutral sound with a wide sound stage.
    Cons: None

About Me
    To get started, let me tell you a little about myself.
    I’m a gigging musician (lead guitar/backup vocals), an audio forensic analyst, a novice sound engineer, and an avid music lover with a wide taste in music. Being an audio forensic analyst is a plus I find when reviewing audio products simple because I know what bad audio sounds like and usually know how to correct it. My experience allows me to be familiar with the limitations of my own ears and the equipment I’m using.
    For the consumers, my perspective for all my IEM reviews will be based on these things. I won’t sugar coat things or make things sound better than they are. I’m just like you and I want good value for the money I pay for any product.

To the manufacturers, I’ll always give you an option to respond to any concerns such as quality that I have during my review. I’ll contact you directly and will do so before my review is published. I want to provide an honest and tangible review for your prospective customers without being unfair to you as a manufacturer.
    I’ll always be fair and my review will be based on my perspective and my experience.
    Now on to the important stuff.

About the product/expectations
    I received the Zen-4 on a tour here at Head-Fi.org. The tour was courtesy of InEarz and was organized by yours truly.

I am a founding member and the lead guitarist for the hard rock band Rīvul. I'm an endorsed artist for InEarz and currently my on stage performance and practice IEM's are a custom Euphoria. However I'm not being compensated for this review in any way and all impressions are unbiased and are my own.

Build/Design
    The build quality of the Zen-4 is very good, very much the norm that I've come to expect from InEarz. The fit of these is better than almost any universal IEM I've ever used. Just like with the Zen-2 after a short time, I forgot I was wearing them.

The stock cable is a standard IEM cable. I compared the sound from the stock cable to several premium cables from HAN Audio that I had in my possession, including the Venom and the sound difference was negligible. I'm not sure what InEarz did with the Zen series, but they are definitely not cable or source dependent.

Comfort/Fit
    I found the form factor and size of the Zen-4 to be outstanding. I had absolutely no issues with wearing them for hours with little to no wearing fatigue. The Zen-4 felt just as good as the Zen-2. No issues and very comfortable to wear.

The Zen-4 come with the ADEL B1 module stock which is perfect for their sound. The sound signature was near perfect for my tastes. The sub bass extended well, the bass was prominent with good separation into the low mids, no discernible bleed. The mids were good all the way through with vocals sounding very naturals and guitars were killer. The highs had just the right amount of sparkle and good enough extension. Sound stage was very natural sounding with awesome separation between instruments.

Source didn't matter at all to the sound signature, but when using 24bit 96Khz Flac source from my pro audio setup, i noticed they were able to resolve with more clarity. The entire Zen series responds to source scaling very well, but even with lower end audio straight from my Note-8, they were very good there as well.

Compared to my UE900s, another 4 driver, the sound signature of the Zen was more neutral with no real hot spots unlike the UE900s which on some songs can be bass heavy and other songs can sound to hot in the treble regions. The Zen-4 handled all of my music much better. The resolution was better all the way around with the Zen-4 out performing the UE900s.

The Zen-4 sound signature was very similar to my custom Euphoria. With plenty of low end, a warm neutral sound with enough sparkly stuff up top to keep the sound exciting.

The Zen-4 is warmer and even fuller sounding when compared to the Zen-2. The Zen-2 was no slouch but the Zen-4 is definitely worth the upgrade if you can afford it.

Isolation was very good. Not as good as a custom but definitely on par with most mid to high end universal IEM's.

I think the Zen series is an outstanding value. At $599, the sound of the Zen-4 is definitely worth the money over the Zen-2. But the Zen-2 is no slouch. I genuinely believe that InEarz is on to something with the Zen series, great job guys!

Comments

To view comments, simply sign up and become a member!