FiiO E7 USB DAC and Portable Headphone Amplifier

4.11905/5,
  1. bcasey25raptor
    it sounds worse then my onboard
    Written by bcasey25raptor
    Published Jun 24, 2011
    2.5/5,
    Pros - durable, has an amp
    Cons - sounds worse then my onboard and ipod.
    ok everyone i am probably going to get hate for this but i should have ordered the grado sr60s instead. my conexant hd audio sound on my laptop is obviously onboard. from the opinion and belief of people on head-fi is that onboard is terrible. they recommended i buy the fiio e7. so i got $200 for a graduation present and decided to get a fiio e7. i was certain it would make a difference as everyone has been praising it. so after 8 days it arrives. i am so excited to hear what i have been missing. i quickly plug it in and let it charge a bit. i plug my shure srh840 in and at first (placebo effect) i think they sound phenomenal. then after a few songs i plugged my shure srh840 into my computers audio input. and guess what? it is actually clearer and sounds fuller. correct me if i am wrong but i thought there was supposed to be a difference with the fiio e7. i was under the impression it was better then on board sound. i give it an overall 2.5/5 because it has an amp. but other then that this thing is not worth it. i am sorry but maybe this is really just snake oil.  if anyone of you guys are new here. avoid at all costs. none of this improves anything. and the higher up you go the less of an improvement you achieve. i am done with dacs. my on board seems really good in comparison.
      julian67 likes this.
    1. View previous replies...
    2. Saltticus
      I have a FiiO E7 and I bought it to replace the Realtek in my laptop. The E7 makes my SR80is clearer and instrument separation has also improved. I do have doubts on it being worth the money though. I am currently considering returning the product and spending the money on better cans (ATH-AD900). I feel like the marginal benefits would be much greater. I plan on buying another dac/amp later, but one that is slightly more future-proof as the E7 cannot handle files with 24-bit sample sizes.
      Saltticus, Aug 10, 2011
    3. Sound Quest
      It's "snakeoil" to your ears, but not to everybodies ears.
      Sure, there are better DAC's out there that will make a huge difference to cheap on-board soundcards. But the FIIO E7 does its job reasonably well for it's price point.

I would only really recommend this amp for closed headphones through. They don't see to give Open Headphones quite enough juice to make them sound right.
      Sound Quest, Jul 17, 2013
    4. GainsbarreAudio
      I was really reluctant about this E7 amp because I did not like the sound of the Fiio X3 I bought before, so if this amp was ''SnAkE OiL'' i''ll be quite pre-programmed to don't fall in this trendy trap. Still, after selling my X3 I suddenly need a dac for my mac and ipod...don't like Ipod sound too so my curiosity lend me to the E7. An affordable Amp with a (WOLFSON) Dac and lot of features for like 70-80$ sure sound intriguing to me. This is Not ''true Audiophile grade stuff'', but I must admit it sound pretty good and I sincerly feel and hear subtle difference in audio quality and this is what we crave for when we listen. The sound isn't perfect at all, we can find hiss if we listen loudly with sensible iem, the dynamic can lack in clear separation but the overall presentation is better than the source (if the source is not HIFI), the sound of my mac is fuller, richer, wider and have more treble than before-I can hear the Wolfson signature sound here.The fact that this is a portable amp too make it a no brainer
      ps:That's true to that the E7 isn't a Powerfull beast, not sure it can drive properly headphones above 64ohm headphones...
      GainsbarreAudio, Aug 30, 2014
  2. pocketrocket
    It's the E7, what can I say?
    Written by pocketrocket
    Published Nov 18, 2010
    Pros - Build quality, display, two headphone connections, accessories, sound quality, power, clarity, bass boost, battery life
    Cons - Distortion as a DAC with multiple audio sources, has to be rebooted. Charging while used causes slight whining on high effinency 'phones
    I'll be comparing it with the intergrated chipset in my laptop (Realtek AC'97) and the Nokia X6 phone with and without E7 as an amp, using AKG K 272 HD, Sony XB-500 and Sennheiser CX-300 and Audio Pro Addon One active speakers with a Tangent Evo E8 active subwoofer. Although I was skeptic whether something from DealExtreme could sound nice or not, I was quite pleasantly surprised.

E7 USB DAC vs. Realtek AC'97: Hands down, pants down, the winner is E7. No noise (don't own any really high effinency IEMs or the such but anyway), faster, more detailed lows and very clear and well extending highs in comparison. Compared to the headphone jack in my laptop there just seems to be way more separation to the instruments and music isn't some sort of a blur anymore. Then again I'm comparing it to a really low-end chipset so the difference is quite expectable

E7 as an amp for Nokia X6: overall faster, extends lower and higher, and less muddy. All in all it doesn't sound like the device is struggling to reproduce music with the E7 anymore, and the veiled muddy feeling is grealty reduced. It went three days without a charge, and that's quite good IMO. Anyway, I won't be using any power hungry cans or IEM on the go as of now, so this feature isn't too important for me. Still, it adds to the versatility and value so it's definitely a plus.

Bass Boost: I'm having difficulty deciding whether I like it or not, the sound stage seems to suffer from levels two and three, no matter am I using the speakers or headphones. It's a fun feature, but I'll have to do a lot more testing before I can say anything concrete about it.

Notes: Huge distortion and hiss under Windows 7 and Linux Mint 9/10 when running YouTube, Spotify or any flash applications. Hasa been getting quite annoying lately and I'll stop using this product because of it. Nobody else is complaining so I guess I just got a bad one, but I've lowered the SQ rating to three stars although it's really good when it does actually work.
      gevorg likes this.
  3. TomT
    New today - couldn't be more pleased!
    Written by TomT
    Published Oct 9, 2010
    Pros - Reasonable - works as advertised - no hassle setup!
    Cons - Scratched plastic over display (corrected - see text)
    Received new FiiO E7 today from Micca in Fairfax, Va (hi ex-neighbor - used to live in Arlington.)

Did much reading on this forum and other reviews and truly appreciate the candid and (sometimes) brutal thoughts of recent purchasers.  After just a few hours experience, can only share my first impressions - all of which are positive.

Unpacked, reviewed instruction sheet, plugged in USB connector to a Sony notebook running W7.  The Sony found the E7 and loaded its driver, all on its own.  Then, put in classical CD and connected my recentlly acquired Senn HD 650's.  Results:  Wow Wow and Wow!  Maybe a $1000 amp could sound better, but to my older (74) ears, the sound was the best I've ever heard through earphones.

The E7 is very intuitive and just needed the pictorial on which hole to plug each device into to get it up and working.  Was a little confused at first - each time I powered up, it immediately came on then powered down.  Then, needed to read the instruction sheet:  just touch the switch to turn on; touch and hold for a second or two to turn it off!  So easy a caveman could do it (if they read the instructions, that is!)

Played around with the bass setting and have found setting #1 and #2 sound best with CD's - #1 for Pop and #2 for classical.  The HD 650's had great presence and I'm hearing sounds that never came out of my modest AV setup with some older Infinity speakers.  Also, tried direct connection to a Sirius Stiletto.  The Stiiletto drives the 650's good - with the E7 it drives the 650's noticeably better!

Only complaint and it's minor:  when unwrapping (and it was packed beautifully by Micca, noticed a few scratches on the plastic cover over the display.  Nothing I can't live with, but am wondering what it will look like after several road trips.  But, bought the E7 to listen to, not to look at so no big deal.  At first thought perhaps the plastic was a temporary protector but it appears to be glued in place and not readily removable.

Another not-quite-sure finding:  Does the E7 charge via USB when the computer - but not the E7 - is turned on?   I turned off the E7 to have some lounch and when I checked it out an hour later, the charge had not increased.  Right now, am charging with the E7 turned on and will 'discover' whether this was a solution or not.

An earlier post of some time ago was apparently never answered:  how does the E7 work with the Senn HD 650's?  My answer:  Great!   If I'm ever in a high-end store will try out my 650's with a $1K  amp to see what improvement $900 more can make.  In the meantime, I'm quite happy.,

My thanks again to the posters in this forum whose comments led me to order and receive the E7.   And,  to Jack of Micca who often contributes to this forum and shipped it packed so well.  BTW Jack, do not believe the E7 package had been opened since leaving the factory, so the scratches were probably done with a chopstick!

Regards to all and Thank You.

Tom T
    North Augusta, SC

Correction (the day after):  My dumb error - a kind person sent me a private message suggesting check whether or not a protective film is on the display.  Took me a minute or two to confirm that there IS a protective film in place; thus NO scratch.  My apologies for not recognizing the film and thanks for the kind info.  Will leave the film in place until a proper screen protector is available.
      rhubarb575 likes this.
    1. tpqueenan
      I totally with TomT on his assessment. I just purchased the E7 for my Senn HD650 and it is a totally different, better experience. Seriously, you should not be listening without this unit. Also, if you are not on an iPod and fancy Android devices which have micro-USB you will need to pick up a micro-b USB host OTG cable to be an adapter for the full USB to micro USB. Fiio makes LODs but only for iOS and Sony devices.
      tpqueenan, Aug 12, 2012
  4. NymPHONOmaniac
    THE best DAC-AMP solution for budget audiophile
    Written by NymPHONOmaniac
    Published Apr 3, 2016
    Pros - Good warm sound with Wolfson WM8740 soundsignature, Good stand portable amp, variable bass boost, long battery life, sturdy construction, 2 line out
    Cons - Soundstage and Instruments separation could be better, after years of use can begin to have hardware problem, no firmware updates
    I have the Fiio E7 since 2 years and he's alsways at my side when I open my computer to play music trough Amarra Symphony software.
    This little Dac-Amp never deceive me and the first time I try it it wasn't a placebo effect that make me step off of my chair and yeal: ******* SOUND GOOD!

As a matter of fact, it was the beginning of a confuse quest about the meaning of a DAC. Before that I wasn't sure it can change drastically the sound, but this was because I wasn't listening the music but just feeling it, wich should be the way to listen to music, but when you develop curiosity for all the frequencies range and their interaction in an acoustical imagery you became as this passionate biologist that want the best microscope to be able to see ALL the details of living cells. You want more, always more beauty, for every type of music you listen.

The Fiio E7 is an entry level DAC, it will wow you if you do not have better gear alreay. I can assure it is better than my Macbook soundcard but in no way better than the sound of the Ibasso Dx90, Dx50 or even Hifiman 601. With any computer Dac you should use an appropriate software that will use all the potential of it, plain itunes is not the best. Even VLC is better than this but can make static with flac files.

Sound is warm and relaxed, treble is a little roll off and mids are fowards. The low end is spot on and have a 4 levels boost. Must of time I put it at level 1 bassboost and it give my Grado a more rounded and beefy sound, wich sound excellent and give more excitment to lot of tracks.
    This is not an analytical or cold DAC, and it's forgiving for lower quality audio format (still I do not advice to use less than 260kb). It sound musical and give more power to headphones, max impedance I will suggest is 150 Ohm, and for full result it's better to keep it under 100 Ohm.

I highly recommend the FIIO E7 (E07K now).
  5. genclaymore
    Good Old dac/amp when it works
    Written by genclaymore
    Published Feb 18, 2016
    2.5/5,
    Pros - 80 Hour battery,Portable,Bass sound good at times,Fits in pocket/laptop bag.
    Cons - usb receiver limiting the bit rate minor con, bass some times not clean.Have a habbit of dying.
    The E7 uses a wolfson Wm8740 for its Digital-To-Analog convertor (dac), The Amp section uses the AD8692 and TPA6130A as Pre- and power amps. The dac does supports higher bit rates, but it due to the usb receiver chip only supports up to16 bit/48kHz. The device gets its power from the usb port or the dock port if it is docked into the E9. The charge last 80 hours when you’re not using it with any power sources.

The Amp section headphone Impedance Range is 16ohm-300, the output power is 150mW @ 16ohms and 16mW at 300@, the E7 amp section works very well with my DT770 pro-80s.
    The Fiio E7 is one of the older line ups that been replaced by the newer models. It has Two Headphone jack’s which is useful if you’re sharing music with a second person, or using Two Headphones side by side. With a reset hole in the middle of the two which you can use to reset the device.
    On the bottom of the device theirs an usb input, which it uses the PCM2706 for the usb receiver. Next to it is the dock connection, with that dock connection the E7 can be connected to the Fiio E9 and use with it as an all in one Dac solution, adapters exist with different functions for that plug. The Aux input is used to plug any other source into the E7, to use the E7 as a standalone amp.
    One the side of the E7 are the Volume buttons which are hybrid bottoms which raise or lower the volume, or flip thru the menus. The menu button which on a single press takes you to the settings and select options within the menu. The Power button which turns off the E7 or exit the current setting option in the menu. On the front the E7 has an Oled screen.
    There are 3 different bass settings with in the EQ setting which changes the sound of the Fiio E7, Eq0 which is the default, EQ1-3 which changes the bass and the rest of the sound.

WIN_20160218_00_47_25_Pro.jpg

WIN_20160218_00_48_21_Pro.jpg

WIN_20160218_00_48_47_Pro.jpg

The Setup
    I will be using MusicBee set to use Wasapi, for headphones I will be using the DT770 pro-80, The Fiio E7 will be set to EQ 0.

The Songs
    Chris Bekker – Heimat B (Original mix)
    The first thing you hear when you listen to the song is the bass, it hits hard with impact. While the snares are clean and heard. But the drums are a tad hard to hear. The rest of the song sounds nice, with that highs being a tad detailed, it does bother my left ear but not that much. Since that’s where I have HF Tinnitus.
    The sound stage I would say is close to you, the sound image is ok to me. But over all sounds good.

CloZee – Koto
    In this song the first part is really clear including the snares. The bass in this song also have an impactful sound. The vocals sound good as so the clapping in the part where the bass drops. When the bass starts back up it takes the fore front making you notice it.

Noisy Blue – Eyes on You
    The Song is mainly piano, which in the song sounds really good it has weight behind each note that is played and how heard it being strike. It’s a little bit not clean, But Violins are heard in the background. The sound imaging is ok to me but not perfect. The sound stage is close to my head with this song as well.

Slakker – Sailor and the Box
    Similar to the type of song as Noisy blue, instead of pianos. It’s Drums, bass, vocals and an electronica note. The bass and the drums hit hard, the snare like the other songs are clearly heard. The vocals are center, some of the voices pans from left to the right ear. Like noisy blue the music is close to your head.

Over all while with a lot of these songs it did really good job, the bass at times wasn’t clear. But I enjoy using my DT770 pro-80 with it as my primary setup for them. Due to the bass and the portability for my laptop/tablet.

Updated: The Fiio E7 I had, decided to die on me, no longer charging or any thing.Such a shame but then I just found out that it common for this model, What makes matter worst that you gotta go thru a work around just to change the battery. I don't know what Fiio was thinking  putting the battery directly to the PCB , instead of using a 2pin plug. Since I bought it used can't do a thing about it, but switch to something else for my portable needs.
  6. Wiiffler
    "best things comes in small packages"; Couldn't be more right!
    Written by Wiiffler
    Published Feb 7, 2014
    Pros - Great amp/dac combo, Easy/no installation, Robust, Excellent price/quality
    Cons - Thickness makes it a bit unappealing for portable use
    Oh the wonders this little box can do!
    The compact yet powerful Fiio E7 is everything you could ask from a 99$ DAC/amp.
    After installing the drivers, you're good to go. It gives your music a great dynamic range.
    Using it on my Ultrasone Pro 900, with the different bass setting, a "+2" on the bass EQ truly makes the Ultrasone nature stand out.
    This little thing can drive deep, impactful bass with ease. I rarely, if ever, go past 25.
    It's a great improvement from my on-board audio card. I don't find myself using it with my Ipod, the thickness of it makes it a bit unappealing, Perhaps I need bigger pockets!
    This little box made a great improvement, and I recommend it to anyone that want a small, inexpensive amp/DAC combo!
  7. EventVista
    Sounded great ..... When it was working. FIIO does not stand behind their products.
    Written by EventVista
    Published Oct 16, 2013
    2.0/5,
    Pros - Excellent sound quality and amplification for a cheep price
    Cons - Customer support and warranty policy is awful, FIIO does not stand behind their products. Poor quality.
    I purchased a E7 with the intention of using it as a headphone amp/dac with my iPod and to use as a dac with my laptop running Audioengine A5+ powered speakers using the optional FIIO L7 line out doc to connect my laptop to the E7. The whole system worked great for about 3 months, but then for some reason the E7 stopped working with my laptop,,,,,still would work with the iPod, but utilizing the DAC with my powered speakers completely stopped working.

I went through the process of going to FIIOs online support but they would not help me in a normal fashion, and pretty much refused to help me through email. Instead they forwarded me a pre-recorded BS response and sent me a ridiculous online form which required me to fill out a huge amount of redundant info I already sent them, I had to actually photocopy my drivers license and attach it to the form...then fill out a bunch of additional crap, save and email the docs to their "support" group.

After all this hassle and time, a day later they sent me another pre-recorded email which basically indicated that they did not even read the stupid form I spent 30 minutes filling out for them. It was clearly a total waste of my time, and it was obvious they read nothing I originally sent them, nor did they look at the stupid form I filled out. In a nutshell FIIOs only response was that I had to send my E7 to their China support center at my own expense, plus they said there was no guarantee they would be able to fix the unit and BTW, it could take up to two months to hear back from them...Huh? We'll at that point I just gave up on FIIO.

It would have been nice if they gave me some advice on what my problem was, offered some troubleshooting tips. Better yet just let me trade out the unit or give me a credit to by another E7. Just Something that made me feel like I was talking to another human being or a company that cared about customer service, In the end I received nothing but disappointment from this company.
    1. View previous replies...
    2. tdockweiler
      I think this is a fair review. If I had this same situation i'd give it a half star too
      tdockweiler, Oct 17, 2013
    3. EventVista
      GREQ
      I may seem harsh, but in all honesty customer service and product support is very important to a lot of people. I realize products break, malfunction, etc, but when they do under a reasonable warranty timeframe, the company should buck up and stand behind their product. I think I am being fair in that: 1) I owned the product 3 months and it failed. 2) I attempted to seek support and FIIO jerked me around, wasted my time and did not stand behind the product.

Similarly, I own a pair of Monoprice 8323 headphones. The plastic that holds on of the speakers cracked after a drop. I emailed Monoprice, they sent me a brand new pair within a few days and did not even ask for the broken ones back, all they asked was I take a picture of the broken product. Nor did they charge me for shipping. Because of this, I would rate the Monoprice even higher than normal due to their excellent customer service model.

Anyways, thanks to everyone for the feedback.
      EventVista, Oct 18, 2013
    4. EventVista
      Ok, so 1/2 star may have been too harsh, so just to keep things fair, and because it sounded great when it worked I raised it to two stars :)
      EventVista, Oct 18, 2013
  8. julian67
    Solves the problems of poor PC audio
    Written by julian67
    Published Oct 3, 2013
    Pros - Good sound. Easy and simple to use. No noise. Easily drives very low impedance earphones.
    Cons - Limited to 16-bit 32/44.1/48 KHz streams.
    I'm in the UK. I bought this as a boxed ex-demo unit with warranty from a FiiO retailer for £39.99 which is US $64.65 or €47.40

I bought this because my PC's integrated audio is frustratingly bad and other solutions and workarounds were not ideal:

My PC's analogue line out is noisy (electrical interference) and the headphone output is even worse.

It can't drive very low impedance headphones such as my Ultimate Ears SuperFi 5vi Earphones

It hasn't the power to nicely drive slightly less sensitive earphones such as Koss KSC75.

It does have SPDIF optical output and this connects to my ancient Yamaha Home Theatre receiver and sounds great, but that also has high output impedance and so can't drive earphones with very low impedance. It's also a power hungry beast and an extremely expensive way to run small earphones.

I had also previously tried a very cheap USB sound card but this was pretty nasty sounding with good headphones and also horribly badly made (one of those items which can fall apart while just sitting there).

I saw this FiiO E7 offered very cheaply as an ex-demo unit with warranty. I had read several reviews and a good technical appraisal (nwavguy) so went ahead and bought it.

Success! It solves all the above problems. It drives all my earphones and headphones very nicely. It is isolated from all the electrical noise generated by the PC so there is not a sound unless audio is playing. There is no hiss even with the Ultimate Ears SuperFi which hiss with every other thing I ever connected them to. It can push the relatively less sensitive Koss KSC75 to very high levels, easily enough even with well produced music with wide dynamic range. It uses virtually no power, being USB powered, and takes up less space than a pack of cards. That is quite a welcome difference from my giant Yamaha HT receiver.

The sound quality is excellent and seems absolutely neutral and with no objectionable qualities of any kind. I think the bass maybe lacks some impact or dynamics but that is being picky and subjective and is only in comparison with amps that have some serious power i.e. powered by mains, not battery or USB.

I've been using the FiiO with Windows XP and Debian Stable and it works exactly the same way with each. It's automatically recognised as a standard USB audio device and the built in driver does the job. It bypasses the operating system's volume control but by default not the sound mixer. You still can use an individual application's volume control but the system control is fixed to preserve bit depth.

I didn't try anything similar in Windows but in Debian I can entirely bypass ALSA's system mixer (dmix) and make the FiiO exclusive. Assuming the Fiio to be the first sound card (or the only one) adding the following to ~/.asoundrc would do the trick:

Code:
    pcm.!default {
    type plug
    slave.pcm "hw:0,0";
    }
    This should give bit-perfect audio decoding for two channel 16-bit 44.1 KHz and 48 KHz audio.

The FiiO E7 is well designed, seems well assembled and is very nicely presented with good accessories. I possibly will never use it as a portable amp but I am extremely satisfied with it as a USB DAC and amplifier for earphone and small headphone use. If you have a high quality and really well implemented soundcard and headphone output on your laptop or PC then the FiiO probably won't do anything for you, but for the other 99% of us with rather noisy and low power integrated audio with a poor headphone output the FiiO E7 can make a huge improvement.

edit:

Two years later and I still love this device. Initially I bought it to improve my old PC's audio and it certainly met expectations. In the meantime I've bought a new PC, new USB DAC and new desktop headphone amp so the FiiO is no longer needed in that role. But I've also bought a Samsung Galaxy Note II LTE smartphone which fully supports USB DACs and I've been using the FiiO as an external DAC/Amp with this. It is truly impressive. Smartphone volume out via headphone socket can be rather quiet (power saving is all important for smartphones) so the FiiO adds a whole new dimension to the sound you can enjoy with your phone. It boosts the output levels and sounds fantastic while doing so.

I've also bought the FiiO L7 Line Out Dock (it is inexpensive). This lets the E7 be a more versatile device: a USB DAC/Amp combo, or a portable amp which accepts Line In from analogue source and outputs to headphones, or a portable DAC which accepts USB input and outputs via Line Out to your preferred amp.

This is a really remarkable design, brilliantly executed. There may be other products out there which are similarly versatile and useful but I didn't find them yet.

If I could give the FiiO E7 10 stars instead of 5 I would do so.
    1. Achmedisdead
      I always wondered about that device.

I have the ELE DAC, which created quite a buzz around the forum a few months back, and while it does sound very good with my laptops, it does not always isolate the electrical noise from my desktop PC, unfortunately.
      Achmedisdead, Oct 4, 2013
    2. julian67
      I have read of some USB devices still being affected by EMI but even the really nasty cheap card I'd used before 5.1 PCI External USB Sound Card for PC didn't have this problem so I thought I'd risk a few pennies. I did read reviews and didn't recall anyone reporting noise with the FiiO. I think the few bad reviews were from products received D.O.A. or failing quickly and from people who found no improvement over the integrated sound on their expensive MacBook Pro or similar high quality PC.

It is really quiet. There is zero noise interference coming from the PC whether sound passes through the system mixer or bypasses it.

I did use it as a portable amp last night, hooked up to the line out of my iRiver H140 with the iRiver's level set to 0 dB. The iRiver headphone out has an obvious hiss even with less sensitive headphones and is very hissy with my SuperFi 5vi. The FiiO amplifying the line out is a huge improvement and also sounds much nicer than the iRiver amp. I am really surprised at the difference.

So far this device is better than I had expected and does seem to deserve all the praise it gets. I can't find anything negative to say about it except wish list stuff which isn't fair criticism (I would like SPDIF input, RCA line out, remote control, the same power output as my Yamaha receiver, wireless charging, also a coffee maker accessory, but all in a slightly smaller package, ideally to be presented as a gift from the grateful nation).
      julian67, Oct 4, 2013
  9. tinamou62
    Substantially changed the way I listened to music
    Written by tinamou62
    Published Jun 5, 2013
    Pros - Deep, rich music. Truly changes the way I experience sound
    Cons - USB cord is slightly bulky, manual and controls are poorly written/have bad interface
    When looking for a dac/amp, everyone recommended the Fiio E7. It's a small, compact combo, and is extremely good. So far, I have found it to be stellar. When using my ATH M50's, the sounds truly change. Coming from a computer without a sound card (only a measly sound chip), the difference was stunning. I repeatedly compared my music without the dac/amp and with it, and I can say it is absolutely worth the 50 dollars I spent on it.

Extremely satisfied with my purchase, the only confusing thing is the poorly translated manual.
  10. Deathdeisel
    Good for the money and beginners
    Written by Deathdeisel
    Published Feb 19, 2013
    Pros - Cheap, good overall quality, durability
    I bought this little device a long time ago and have never done a review on it. Surprising.

Sound quality is quite good, it wont beat dedicated desktop setups, but in reality its a very small difference between them. E7 vs My 2012 Macbook Air is easily noticeable. Even if im not paying attention, the air has a good amount of feedback when playing or just having my earbuds in. Its noticeable on all of my headphones. The fiio sounds completely silent up until 50+ volume on my sensitive IEMs. And at that point your at noise deafening volumes, I accidentally plugged my IEMs in when the volume was at 60, never made that mistake again. Seriously was worried I had destroyed my IEMs and my ears.

Bass presets are nice, but anything past 2 just sounds artificial, fake and really boomy. At 1 bass is slightly distorted, but only when A/B testing it with it on and off and looking for it. And this is coming from a basshead. Would I buy it again? Yep, simply because even though ive replaced it and the E9 combo from my desktop I can still use it on the go.

The chassis is good overall too, aluminum body with plastic screen, stainless steel buttons feel good and press firmly with a noticeable click. Also comes with a screen protector, Ive applied it and its held up okay too.

To those beginners or audiophiles on a budget, this is a very good buy imo. Is there better? Maybe, im not sure.