Denon AH-D7000 - Headphones

Average User Rating:
4.575/5,
  1. dagothur
    "The King of Fun Headphones"
    Pros - Extremely comfortable, smooth, powerful bass, pleasant highs, amazing soundstage for a closed can, cheapest flagship out there
    Cons - Recessed mids, closed design hinders soundstage, artificial compared to other flagships
      Early this year I saw what I thought must have been providence: A pair of Denon Ah-D7000s for $600 from a reputable dealer.  I had been doing a fair amount of research into the upper-tier of flagships: LCD-2, HD800, T1, Ed 8, etc.  When I saw the Denons, I knew these would be the headphones for me.  And after opening the box and viewing my new mahogany headphones, I was 100% correct.  For 8 months these headphones spent several hours a day on my head, giving me musical bliss.  Note: these were fed with a Nuforce Icon HDP DAC, which I highly recommend for them.  And here's why:

Comfort and Design: The Denons disappear on your head like no other headphone can.  I've never once encountered a pair of high-end cans that were so comfortable to wear, especially for somebody with a big head like me.  Not only are they comfortable, they're gorgeous: piano-glossed mahogany wood cups with leather pads and headband.  They're very simple, but also very elegant.  If the LCD-2s - which replaced the Denons - were this comfortable, I would be permanently satisfied with my headphone set-up.
      On to the sound!
     Highs: Being bright and warm, the highs on the Denons are actually very good.  They're natural and focused, and sound amazing for pretty much any good recording.  Female vocals and electronic music are smooth and pleasant.  Although the highs aren't the highlight of the headphone, I can definitely say if you listen to music with a lot of the high-range, you won't be disappointed.  String music is lifelike, detailed and all around incredibly enjoyable.
      Mids: If you're coming from a pair of mid-tier headphones, you won't notice how recessed the mids are.  However, after comparing them to the LCD-2s, the mids are definitely recessed.  You can see this on the FR graph, but how good are the mids?  I would say they occasionally suffer with music that also incorporates a lot of low-range music, since that seems to be their focus, but on their own the mids are excellent.  Vocals are sweet and intimate, and everything feels real in vocal-intense recordings.
     Bass: Oh the sweet bass.  If you love electronic music, the Denon will be your go-to headphones.  The bass is smooth, impactful and sweet.  Percussion music is wonderfully refined and in-your-face, dubstep is otherworldly and heavy metal is beautiful.  I cannot recommend these headphones enough for a bass-head.  Out of the entire spectrum, this is the range the Denons do best.  It reaches extremely low and provides some great texturing.  One might expect this with fun headphones, but I definitely don't regret the Denons being fun.
     Presence and Transparency: One of the things the Denons also excel at producing is presence.  Every note feels distinct, clear and powerful.  This may very well come with the Denons just being powerhouses for the highs and lows, but overall I think the Denons have a very special flavor concerning presence.  As I stated in the bass section, percussion music is phenomenal with these headphones.  If you love hard-hitting music, you can't possibly go wrong with these.  However, when considering presence, one must also consider transparency.  Being fun headphones, transparency doesn't seem to be as much a focus, and (may) have something to do with a closed design.  I'm not an audio engineer, so I don't know.  But coming from the Denons to the LCD-2s, there seems to be a very thin space between the music and the listener.  It's almost unrecognizable until you actually do a thorough comparison between the headphones, but the transparency certainly suffers from the flavor of the headphone.
     Soundstage: The headphones are of a closed design, so the soundstage simply won't be as good as other open flagships.  However!  The soundstage is still very good.  Music has a brilliant intimacy, and everything is defined very clearly in space.  There's no 'blob' with the Denons by any stretch, so long as you don't expect them to be soundstage-focused.  I can't really expect a pair of fun, closed headphones to compete with the HD-800s or T1s, especially considering that they do everything else very well.
     On a comparison with the LCD-2: As I stated in my review of the LCD-2s, when buying the LCD-2s I intended to make a decision between them and the D7000s.  I eventually chose to sell the Denons, but I must add how difficult it was.  The problem in choosing between either headphones arose in a very strange manner: they're simply different.  The D7000s are excellent headphones, and had been my absolute favorite for 8 months. I've heard the 600 models from Sennheiser, the Thunderpants, DT880 and Dt990s, but I didn't love any of them like I love the D7000s.  It was merely that the LCD-2s don't have any faults concerning SQ.  When switching between the D7000s and LCD-2s, it became increasingly apparent that they were both excellent but nothing - excluding naturalness, transparency and soundstage - was starkly better or worse in either.  That being said, I still find the LCD-2s as the natural upgrade for somebody who loves the D7000s.  I must still recommend a degree of scrutiny when choosing which stays or goes, since the LCD-2s are several hundred dollars more expensive and scale much better with more power.
    Conclusion: The D7000s are an excellent pair of flagship headphones.  They're elegant in design, amazingly comfortable, and provide an extremely pleasant listening experience.  The bass and highs are wonderful, but the mids and transparency leave something to be desired.  However, they are definitely affordable in terms of flagships, and if you're somebody who loves fun headphones and doesn't have the scratch for a pair of LCD-2s or T1s, go for the D7000.  You won't be disappointed.
  2. freddydent
    "Great Movie Headphones! The physical vibrations and "shock" factor really put me on edge!"
    Pros - Beautiful + Bass
    Cons - sweat after a while (Thailand is HOT!)
    Squidoo

On April 17, 2011 I asked "TheWuss"--a Head-Fi member who has a LOT of headphones--what headphone was best for watching movies.  The next day--April 18, 2011--he replied:

fred,
    that easy.  hahahaha.

for cinema, the denon d7000 is pretty much without equal.  (impactful sound for explosions, big and layered soundstage for immersive listening experience, etc. etc.)

On April 19, 2011--the very next day--I went out and bought the Denon AH-D7000.  So I consider him the one who pushed me off the edge. And for that I am thankful. [​IMG] Thanks Brent!

This is my reply to him at 2:51pm-- April 19, 2011:

"aaahhh.....I finally took the plunge!  Got the Denon D7000.  Tried it out at the shop versus the T1, Pro 900, DT880(600).  The D7000 is very immersive...and the bass....really put me on the edge while watching some movies with "suspension" scenes/sounds.  The other headphones sounded further.  However, for music ...the T1 was quite nice.  I was able to "follow" sounds from left to right as well as discern which instrument was from the left or from the right.  The Denon was "too much" for me when listening to music.  Put me "on the edge" and when I took it off, I felt as if it was a "relief".   That didn't happen with the T1.  With the T1/DT880 I felt like sinking into my seat, closing my eyes, leaning back ....and relax.  T1 was better than DT880 at "exciting" me with the differences in loud/soft when listening to music, while with the Pro900 and DT880, I didn't really feel anything.  Just like listening to music from a distance with the DT880 giving me much more "imaging".  I was able to "hear/feel" whether the sound came from the left or right."

…before I continue, just want all to know that I don’t consider myself an audiophile because I just started reading up on headphones 3 months before I got my D7000.  I decided using my ears and “feeling.”

My purpose of buying was to get a pair for night-time movie watching.  My sound system’s overall volume was too loud when it was at dialogue-understandable level.

[​IMG]

$833 for me IS a lot of money and so I do consider this expensive.  When I went to Jet Live Audio Store, I was initially looking forward to trying the Ultrasone Ed8, Ultrasone Pro 2900, Denon AH-D7000, and the Beyerdynamics DT770 because of what I read on websites and forums on “bass headphones” and “movie headphones.”

I asked for the Ultrasone Pro 2900, Denon AH-D7000, Beyer T1, and the Beyer DT770 but did not dare ask for the Ultrasone Ed.8 because of the price.  Since Mr. Jet did not have the Beyer DT770, I tried the DT880(250)instead.  After listening to some music, I put down the Ultrasones because it did not feel comfortable.  The DT880s had great left to right continuation when watching movie trailers.  They also sounded great when used for music.  The T1 sounded way better than the DT880s when used for music because of the soundstage and imaging—I could tell the difference between left and right clearly and “felt” as if I could pin-pointing instruments positions (virtually with my eyes closed).   The T1 impressed me very much—might get it in the far future?

I decided to go with the D7000 because of the physical vibrations and “shock” factor that kept me on edge while watching the Predator Movie Trailer.  The “bangs” and “booms” startled me so much (I usually hate being startled!) I was on high alert throughout the whole short clip. Another clip I found on Youtube that also caused facial vibrations.

After a month or so of using the set, I realized that I had to take it off to wipe off my sweat from time to time.  Also, when listening to some types of music, the highs can be quite painful (did not burn yet).  Other than that, the D7000 is a beautiful set, soft on the ears, a bit heavy, has great bass, expensive, is worth the price because it delivers (for movies)and is definitely a keeper.

I gave Value 4.5 stars because it IS expensive. For this price, they should include a nice carrying bag/case as well. I gave Audio Quality 4.5 because for music the T1 and the STAX do better.  Design 5 because I like it.  Comfort 4 because it is kinda heavy and the leather causes me to sweat.  If they have a "for movies" option...I'd give that a full 5 !!!

If you’re looking for a headset only for good bass music, there are cheaper sets out there.  I recently (July, 2011) tried on the V-moda Crossfades LP and they sounded amazing when used for “disco”-type music.  It made me feel as if I was “inside the dance club”, “right there at the party. “  I’ve tried the Audio Technica M50, Audio Technica Pro 900, and Beats Pro among others.  These also sound good but I prefer the V-modas for their cool design and the “I’m right there” feeling.  They don’t work that well with other types of music though and the owner of the pair I listened to complained about it not having enough clear highs. For movies, my gaming headset (Creative Fatality HS-1000) and the normal Philips SCB-HP200 paired with the Creative X-mod sounded good but no physical vibrations or "shock" factor.
    To conclude this rambling….Wooooooooo!    I love my Denons!   Yeah!

Sincerest thanks to all Head-Fi members who helped by graciously answering my PMs:
    Head-Fi member Acix

Head-Fi member Must Lust Envy

Head-Fi member LFF

Head-Fi member Skylab

Head-Fi member IJokerI
    Head-Fi member TheWuss

Thanks to Mr. Jet from Jet Live Audio Store here in Bkk, Thailand for allowing me to try out your headphones...and for the nice Hokkaido chocolates from Japan! [​IMG]

3. Redcarmoose
    "Denon AH-D7000 Headphones"
    Review Denon AH-D 7000 Headphones
    My first set of headphones were purchased in 1974. I’m excited to write that over the years my favorite headphone has improved every so often. I am not a complete obsessive type who compulsively is upgrading my system. I have a relaxed process where if something works then it stays in use for awhile.  As we build our headphone systems each piece of equipment is interdependent on each other for the overall sound.  That old saying that your system is only as strong as the weakest link stands true as ever. It is actually really hard at times to get all your components to complement each other. When you have system synergy going strong, I have felt it is just better to leave it alone and enjoy the music.

For a ten year period the Sony MDR-CD-870 closed back headphones were my reference set. Sure there were lots more out there. At the time I was using 1960s Scott Amplifiers and the Sonys were a good match. My goal was a fun, comfortable and rocking set of headphones. If you have a system which works enjoy it and leave stuff alone. We all know of the crazy upgrade condition. The upgrades are a great way to spend time with this hobby. Basically every purchase is a learning experience. I’m a little conservative so having a purchase be a financial learning experience is not my idea of fun.

At a Head-fi show I tried as many headphones in my system as I could. I already had a wonderful pair of AKG k701s which were great and all but are not the best for rock. Even for dance music the AKGs leave something missing. Put on some well recorded vocals and guitar and then the AKGs show their true potential. So to shorten this story the Head-fi member next to me had a pair of AH-D7000s to sell. The price was right in my ballpark at $450.00 usd. I had spent the whole morning with modified Sennheiser HD 800s. Heck I had seen the HD800s with the t-shirt modification where you take and pack a cotton t-shirt inside them. I had used a stock set of HD800s with a super expensive after market cord which was $500.00 usd itself. I played the HD800s with a limited edition remaster of Dark Side Of The Moon on an $80,000 usd vinyl rig. I came to try the Sennheisers but somehow maybe I’m not a Sennheiser guy! Don’t get me wrong as the HDs sound very, very clear. Each part of the recording is rendered in the right sound field place. I just didn’t feel it in my heart.

So he hands me the Denons from next door and I put them into the high impedance output of my Woo Audio 5 LE. I could tell right away that I was there. In three minutes I was done, all done. But some say that if you have this instant satisfaction that maybe you will not like the equipment over time. There is this theory that some manufactures put this color in their products so everybody is floored on first listen and open their pocketbooks, only to go home and find the color is somehow keeping them from audiophile truth. I really don’t know. There is a woody feel to the sound of the AH-D 7000s. You could call it color. The sound of great and controlled bass going as low as you need it to go. The overall experience is just in one word, fun. Can you have too much fun? It’s been about 13 months and the honeymoon is not over.

When you wear the Denons for weeks on end then swich to somthing like the AKGs then you realize how light and perfect the AH- D 7000s fit your head and ears. I had always thought the AKGs were nice to wear but again the AH-Ds rule. The HD-800s felt just like they look, big heavy cages on your head! The HD-800s are as enjoyable as a hospital and the AH-Ds are as enjoyable as a redneck keg party in the woods!

The build quality is great. When you first study them they look a little fragile in the armatures. The piano lacquered cups seem like they could even dent if you get a little loose with them. Knock on wood, it has been 13 months and they are holding up perfect. So they are made in China and not the brisk mountains of Italy. They are made really, really well. The cord is a Y configuration which carries no micro phonic properties at all. At times there is a small adjustment phase just before all the equipment gets on. This adjustment gets to be an easy thing to get used to with time. The cord does need to be sorted out straight at times. The plug is really well made and feels like it will last for years. The plug has a heavy quality which just feels right when adding it to amps. A short right at the plug is an issue with many headphones used a long time. This plug seems truly first rate. I also use the AKG mini plug adaptor to plug the AH-Ds into the mini plug of my Nuforce Icon USB Desktop Amplifier And Headphone Amplifier. A great combo for the Nuforce using it as a USB digital output for a laptop playing Foobar2000 or Macintosh playing aiff lossless files in I-tunes. The high impedance of the AH-D 7000s results in truly great authority just going directly out of an I-pod Touch playing lossless aiff files.

So later that day we found a couple more tube amps to fit into our test system. The AH-D 7000s were always polite and never became harsh in the high end. Everyone said the system was simply divine with the AH-Ds in place. What they did say was that the system was perfect for jazz and classical. We still had some issues. Everything was buttery smooth; there was warmth and detail in a very sublime way. The problem was what they call speed. I was using cheap Monster RCAs and my old computer cord for power. Could the Denons improve? The question was how much did they have in them to improve. What the Denons lack in midrange reproduction is overcome by the lush silky midrange reproduced by 300b tubes. The fact is that the midrange is one of the finer points of the Woo 5LE. What could be done to improve was cords. What I thought was a little too much bass response was all just problems in my system due to the cords I was using. After changing cords the bass became focused, tight and better placed into the sound stage.

The Electra Glide Audio Reference Glide-Reference Standard "Fatboy" Power Cord enters the power feed to the amps. The addition of speed takes place. What I thought was a deficit in the speed of the Denons was a flaw in what was brought to them in the system. It was like finding out they were a new set of headphones. Drums would attack and decay with harmonics, tone shifts would take you almost out of your seat with surprisement.  Could these things really be world class headphones? What else could be done for them and how would they react?  A set of Virtual Dynamics Master Series RCA interconnects are then put in between a Rega Planet Compact Disk Player and the Woo 5 LE RCA inputs. Now the Denons responded with speed and detail. OK, I said I’m not into the upgrade cycle! I’m not, I’m not. I do need a new CD player though.

Equipment Used For Denon AH-D 7000 Headphone Review

Virtual Dynamics Master Series RCA interconnects
    Electra Glide Audio Reference Glide-Reference Standard "Fatboy" Power Cord
    Electra Glide Audio Epiphany X2 Power Cord
  4. FritzS
    "D7000 a superb headphone - one of the best closed"
    Pros - deep and pressure bass
    Cons - with some kind of music a bit to much middle-bass
  5. dextersventures
    "Great Headphones for Relaxing and Movies"
    Pros - Soundstage, Bass, Great for Movies, Comfortable, Relaxing Sound
    Cons - A little too Flat of a Sound, Not for Rock,
    The Denon D7000's are perhaps the most used headphone in my collection because it has a very relaxing sound and a great soundstage.

Soundstage
    The soundstage is excellent for movies. I can hear absolutely everything in a movie. For instance, I often get lost in the background every time I watch a movie. From the gentlest wind gust to the smallest drips of water hitting the window, I can hear them. I suspect these headphones might be amazing for gaming, but I haven't tried them yet for that.

Bass
    I've tried my share of headphones. Most of the time you have one headphone that gives you amazing soundstage, but stinks in bass. This isn't the case for the Denon D7000. It has the best of both worlds in this case. Although, there is one problem. I kind of find the bass to be a bit fat and slow. It doesn't stand out, it is blended into the music. Some people like this. I actually think this bass is meant to be for this headphone because it is a full-sounding headphone (meaning you get everything treble, vocals, and bass with nothing standing out).

Vocals
    As almost everyone else has pointed out, the vocals are pushed a few rows back. They are still distinguishable, but just not very loud. Think of someone trying to talk to you from about 10 feet away, sounds like that.

Treble
    The treble is not hot at all. It's there, just not screaming at you. Again, this is a relaxing headphone with nothing standing out. Everything is there, just not killing your ears. I can sleep to these on my head all night without hurting my ears with piercing sounds.

I barely even notice these things on my head. They are very light and don't have a high clamping force like other headphones do.

Overall
    This headphone is amazing for movies and relaxing. It is not an intimate headphone. If you want to rock and roll like there is no tomorrow, I don't suggest this headphone.  I mean I still listen to rock with it, but it doesn't give me the adrenaline rush like a Grado would. Sometimes I consider the headphone boring and flat. For instance, on a rock-heavy song  I like, everything comes and goes without sounding much different. It sounds too slow and blended together, but I still hear everything.

Every headphone has its' purpose, this one to me is movies and relaxing.
  6. Ramesses
    "Stunning Sound Quality"
    Pros - Sound Quality and Base, stunning texture and details
    Cons - Price, Isolation not brilliant
    I have just finished running these in (100hrs). I am amazed with the SQ. The base and balance of sound is stunning. Tonally gorgeous to me. Sweet smooth treble. The texture on vocals is astounding.
    I was tempted to get some JH16's but was concerned about fit and comfort if the moulds are not done correctly. These cost me half the price of the JH16s (UK prices) and they are everything I dreamt a pair of cans could be. I cannot recommend them enough.
  7. justone
    "Denon AH-D7000"
    Pros - Overall performer
    Cons - Nil
    In the process of reaching 50 hours burn in mark. Highly dependent on source (recording quality and DAC). Obvious bottlenecks. Still under observation and after 300 hours listening period, will update my impression again.
  8. Frank I
    "Denon AH-D7000 "
    Pros - lightweight,nice looking and dynamic
    Cons - Isolation could be better
    I have been  looking at these headphones since I started posting to HeadFi last year and havd  always wanted to try them and finally the opportunity came for me to audition the cans and see if they were  as good as all the hype that I had been hearing about them.  When I first started to listen to the Denon's I really did not like them at all. Out of the box the bass was overpowering, bloated and flabby. They were also very dark. I then proceeded to burn them in for the next 125 hrs using both my Outlaw 2150RR and Matrix M Stage as my primary amps with both the DV6001 and the Onkyo DX7555 CD player on repeat..

Usually when I get a high end piece of equipment my past experiences has always told me if it sounded good out of the box it was usually going to sound better after burn in was completed. With the Denon I thought they really did not sound good before burn in, and never thought I would hear a significant difference after the burn in. Boy was I not only wrong but  I was shocked at the difference in sound.

The Matrix M Stage amp and my Marantz DV6001 Universal player was the source used for my audition. I used the Audioquest Black Mamba interconnects with my source and amp. Music listened to ranged from Classical,Jazz,Vocal and Rock. I did not listen to any Metal or other types of music. The Albums I used were mostly well recorded audiophile grade CD's  and SACD for my audition.

Initially upon listening to the D7000 before burn in I noticed sibilance presence on female vocals. The transformation after burn in I noticed the sibilance was gone. The bass became very well defined and tight. The soundstage really became focused and very wide for a closed can and 3D, as I noticed the performers were more defined and imaging was spot on, and the bass was no longer bloated.  The biggest difference I noticed over both my 701 and the 840 was a refinement. The Denon's projected a very smooth and well balanced presentation in regard to my other cans. I could see the reason they were priced so much higher than the 701.

The midrange on these cans is excellent. I find the slightly recessed mid very much suited to my taste. Having owned many high end speakers these remind me most of my PSB Stratus Gold's They were warm with deep bass into the low twenty's and very defined and balanced with a slightly tipped treble. Hearing and listening to the FIM SACD of Antiphone Blues with pipe organ and solo saxophone, recorded in Spanga Church. the pipe organ was produced unlike I had heard with any other headphone. I could feel the pipe organ petal and feel the power of the instrument. It was a wow moment. To produce the lower register of a pipe organ requires bass to go into low 20's to achieve the proper sound of the instrument and the D7000 reproduced the organ with no problem.

Listening to albums with vocals and live recordings on these headphones is a pleasure. On Sinatra at the Sands it was like I was in the room sitting at a table and listening to my favorite Sinatra performance. I could hear all of Count Basie's orchestra with a very wide soundstage .Listening to Jerry Garcia and David Grisman, I was in the studio listening to two great artist create their masterpiece. Shady Grove. Garcia's playing was a revelation of detail on hearing guitar strings and hearing the inner detail of his acoustic guitar.  The presentation was eye opening. Listening to Beyond Missouri Sky with Pat Metheny and Charlie Haden was another wow moment.

I heard the best separation of the two performers that I have heard,  and you could hear the guitar strings snapping and the glory of Hadens Acoustic bass, with nice separation between the performers.  . I knew it was two distinct performers. Many headphones and speakers do not get this track right. The Denons reproduced this recording without effort. You could really hear the detail in Haden's bass not present with my other headphones

Classical recordings were somewhat more of a mixed bag for me. I enjoyed the power of the bass and detail in general but on large scale orchestra I prefer the 701. On smaller scale recording's the D7000 shines. Violins are produced without etch or grain and cello is aided by the bass. I noticed no etch in tremble on well recorded albums. I would define cymbal reproduction as accurate with no etch.I could clearly hear space in high hat reproduction. Good air and space around instruments and nice depth to the soundstage. In the higher regions of recordings the Denon were no match for the 701.  The AKG reproduce triangle and high's better than any other can I own.I do find the AKG701 and the Denon are perfect stablemates. The open cans give me the presentation I desire for classical music. The D7000 gives me the dynamics and power I desire for most other music.

In concluding I have to say I am very impressed with the D7000 I find them very much refined with great detail and bass extension.  Outstanding musicality and it makes me believe I am listening to a full range speaker with much more intimacy. They are now part of my headphone collection and I am enjoying many hours of pure music magic.  Denon produced a winner with this headphone. It is a beautiful and balanced headphone that has really grown on me and I have come to enjoy a great deal.

The matrix M Stage amp is a perfect match with its powerful bass and detail. It really made the D7000 shine. If you enjoy 3D sound with super bass and a very balanced midrange these headphones are a must audition. Be prepared to buy them if you do listen to them. Nice indeed.
  9. Lunatique
    3.5/5,
    "Flawed Beauty"
    Pros - Deep/Punchy/Authoritative bass, soundstage, comfortable, aesthetics, easy to drive
    Cons - Recessed mids, somewhat bright at times, does not seal outside noise
    My Denon AH-D7000 finally arrived, and I've been putting it through its paces. My perspective on the D7000 is from a slightly different angle from most people who have reviewed it, since I have used the previous generation of Denon flagship AH-D950 headphones from mid-90's to 2005 or so. It was already falling apart around 2001, and I kept taping it back together until it could no longer be fixed and looked like crap. Here's the D950 all beat up, with electrical tape, worn out pleather earcups, snapped off housing...etc:

[​IMG]
    It's been with me all over the place throughout the years though, and will always stay in my memory. It still sounds great too, after the countless dropping on the floor, accidentally blasting at full volume, getting crushed/knocked around in the luggage...etc.

And here's how the D7000 compares to the previous flagship model:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

What was immediately apparent to me about the sound of the D7000 is that it carried the torch of the D950 into the modern age. They have a very similar sonic signature. The D950 have that somewhat hi-fi sound where the treble and bass seems to have that smiley face EQ'd enhancement (just enough to be "exciting," but not too to become grating and fatiguing), while the D7000 is more accurate, but still retaining the excitement due to the superior sub-bass and detailed treble. The D7000's sub-bass is definitely more substantial in the 30Hz range, whereas the D950's sub-bass starts to roll off after 40Hz or so. The D950 emphasizes the upper bass for more punch, but the D7000 does not have any obvious peaks or dips in its bass region and is remarkably flat all the way down to 30Hz. The D7000 is also a tad more refined across the entire frequency range--higher resolution, if you will. In terms of comfort, the D7000 is very comfortable to wear--much more than the D950, since the D950's earcups are shallow, with your ears touching the drivers, and it can get uncomfortable after a while (my ears would hurt after prolonged listening with the D950). The D7000 is hands down the most comfortable pair of headphones I've ever worn--its clamp is feather light, with luxuriously soft pleather earcups that are very well cushioned. Although the clamp is light, the headphones stay on the head pretty well, but I wouldn't do any dramatic head-banging with it on though.

Compared to my Sennheiser HD650, the D7000 sounds like a smiley face EQ'd version of the HD650, with the treble being sharper, and the sub-bass more extended and prominent. The one thing I wish the HD650 could do better in is the sub-bass, since below 40Hz it starts to roll off, and the D7000 takes care of this problem, with the sub-bass remaining prominent and flat all the way down to 30Hz (I haven't tested frequencies below 30Hz yet), which is a rare thing for headphones. The sharper treble of the D7000 can be a tad too bright on listening material that's mixed/mastered on the bright side, and on such materials, I would prefer if the D7000's treble is slightly more subdued. Although the D7000 is a closed-back design, it might as well be open-back because it barely isolates outside noise at all; however, the strange thing is that it isolates the headphone's output much better, so leakage isn't nearly as bad as with actual open-back cans (in other words, it sucks at blocking outside noise, but controls leakage into the outside world pretty well). Comfort-wise, I do think the D7000 is more comfortable due to the feather-light clamping of the earcups, but with pleather, no matter how soft, will never be as comfortable as velour, since pleather will get too warm and your face might sweat a little (or at least get slightly sticky). I bought a bag of headphone sanitary covers and with them on, the D7000's pleather problem is solved. The sanitary covers are of similar material as some of the disinfectant moist wipes, so while they are soft, they are still not as soft as velour. At least they don't get sticky like pleather though. The HD650 while has very soft velour earcups, clamp a lot tighter, but it's a snug kind of tight, and quite comfortable, unless you have a ultra-sensitive head where any amount of pressure will give you a headache. I never had any problems with the HD650's clamping pressure. Here's how the D7000 looks with the sanitary covers on:
    [​IMG]

One of the reasons I got the D7000 was with the wish that it would be like if the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 and the HD650 got married and had a kid. So, does the D7000 sound anything like that? Well, yes and no. I already talked about how it compared to the HD650, so now I'll talk about how it compares to the M50. One thing I really liked about the M50 is it's sub-bass capabilities, remaining prominent down to 30Hz. Not many headphones can sound like there's a subwoofer in your head, and the M50 is one of them. While the M50 sounds pretty neutral and flat in general, it doesn't sound quite natural--as if the engineers somehow pushed and pulled it into sounding that way, instead of it naturally sounding that way with the way its components naturally work together. For example, the treble has a slightly metallic feel, as if a very narrow band of the treble frequencies was EQ'd to get that clarity, but it's carefully tweaked so that it sounds very comfortable and never fatiguing. In fact, the M50 is one of the most comfortable headphones in terms of how pleasant it sounds. It is never too bright, but has plenty of clarity. The same goes for its bass--it's full and substantial, but never overwhelming like some of the bass-head headphones where the bass is so bloated that it intrudes into the other frequencies.

So how does the D7000 compare to the M50? In terms of sub-bass prominence, they are about the same, although the D7000 distorts less when reproducing pure 30Hz sine wave test tones. The D7000's treble is sharper for sure, and the overall clarity is also better, making the M50 sound warmer in comparison. The soundstage of the D7000 is also very good--almost on par with the HD650, while the M50 has a more typical closed-back sound with smaller soundstage. In terms of comfort, while the M50's pretty good, the D7000 is definitely more comfortable. Without the sanitary covers, the M50 gets warm faster than the D7000, but with the covers, the M50's pleather problem is also solved. Here's the M50 with sanitary covers on:

[​IMG]

In conclusion, the D7000 is a beautiful sounding pair of headphones (though with obvious flaws), possessing  authoritative sub-bass presence and punch, a smooth, clean, and detailed sonic signature, a big soundstage that's highly unusual for a closed-back design, very comfortable to wear, and visually attractive in that "premium high-end" style. Some people say the D7000 has recessed mids, and I agree. To me, it's not just because the treble is more detailed and the sub-bass is substantial that it creates the illusion that the mids are recessed--the mid-range is actually recessed--at least compared to my Klein+Hummel O 300D's and other headphones. But it needs to be said that the recessed mid-range is in general not a good thing, especially when the vocals and instruments end up lacking body and weight on the D7000. Whether it sounds a tad bright and sibilant in treble depends on personal taste. I'm very sensitive to bright sounding headphones and speakers, as I find them very fatiguing and grating to endure--as if my ears will start bleeding if I keep listening, and the D7000 usually sounds detailed instead of fatiguing, but on some really bright material it becomes brighter than comfortable for me. It's only somewhat of an issue though, as most of the music in my collection are not mixed and mastered by half-deaf engineers who have lost most of their hearing above 6Khz. :D But when the recessed mids combine with the slightly sibilant brightness, it can make some material really splashy, such as the song "William, It's Really Nothing" by The Smiths--the hi-hat, tambourine, and strumming of the guitar all blend into this splashy mess that has no real body or definition. While the treble is up for debate, I don't think the bass is--since I did extensive tests on its bass region and found it to be very flat and neutral all the way down to 30Hz and probably lower too.

The D7000 is a premium high-end pair of headphones, and as such, its price tag reflects that. Is it worth the money? I paid $571 for it before taxes and shipping, while some places sell it at its full retail price, which is $1,000. I don't think I would pay $1,000 for it, but at $571 it's acceptable (relatively speaking, since high-end anything is always a game of diminishing returns. It sure doesn't sound five times better than the M50. In fact, with the recessed mids and slightly bright sound, it's hard to say if it's really "better"--maybe just different). Will I sell off my other headphones and keep just the D7000? It's too early to say right now--I'll have to live with the D7000 for a while longer before I even contemplate that thought.

To accommodate the new arrival in my headphone collection, I got a triple stand with adjustable arms. It's very convenient and flexible, and since I don't foresee myself adding anymore headphones, I think it'll do just fine:

Anjolie likes this.
  10. Skylab
    "REVIEW: Denon AH-D7000"
    Pros - Terrific looking and sounding
    Cons - Poor islation for a closed headphone
    When the Denon D5000 first came out, I was pretty impressed with it – I felt if delivered a considerable amount of audiophile goodness for a reasonable price. There was, in the end, some room for improvement, however, and when the D7000 first came out, I was very eager to try them.
    On listening to them at a meet, however, I came away with the feeling that they didn’t sound that much better than the D5000, and stayed away. I should know better than to judge anything just on a meet listen.

DSC02092.jpg

Some time later, I was kind of itching for a new headphone, and my D5000 were long gone. A nice used pair of D7000’s came up, and I bit. And I am sure glad I did. The D7000 are a very, very good headphone, a definite step up from the D5000, as I recall them. The D7000 are really quite balanced. They have good performance top to bottom. They are just a little recessed in the midrange, and just a little fat in the bass (although the bass is of exceptionally high quality). Some people have reported that he highs can occasionally be just a little much, but I have not experienced this. There is lots of detail, but I think the treble is well integrated and balanced.

The D7000 are very nice in terms of their soundstaging capabilities, too – for a closed can especially, they have a well defined soundstage with excellent depth, and very good width, although the better open headphones are universally better on that last vector. This may be due to their one big weakness, though – for a closed can, they offer very little isolation. They should be better in that regard, IMO.

But beyond that, the D7000 offer an awful lot of high-end headphone performance. While expensive at the list price of $1,000, they are always available for much less than that. At the “street price” of between $600-700, I think they are very competitive. They are cheaper at street price than the JVC DX1000, and while I do not think they are better across the board, they are in a similar class of performance (both the DX1000 and D7000 have a distinct and different flavor, which some will love, and others will not).

If you want an articulate, detailed headphone that isn’t overly lush in the mids but that has strong, detailed bass and clean, detailed treble, the D7000 are a good choice.

landroni likes this.