DarkVoice 336SE Headphone Tube Amplifier

4.83333/5,
  • DarkVoice 336SE Headphone Tube Amplifier

Recent Reviews

1. Jim Spec
    This is an amazing amp at any price point!
    Written by Jim Spec
    Published Sep 2, 2017
    Pros - Size and good looks. Tubes located conveniently for changing. Tubes are readily available. Did I say how good it looks.
    Cons - Would be near perfect (is anything perfect) if it had balanced in and out. Bright blue light on front panel. Manufacturer does not have a website that I can find. Have not been able to find manual online.
    I have been an audiophile for about fifty years, but have only been into headphones for maybe two years. My idea of headphones came from the 60s when all the sound imaged in the center of your head. Today I find that in many way headphones are a more intimate and rewarding experience than speakers.
    To that end, I have found the Darkvoice 336se to be by far the best of the four headphone amps that I have owned thus far. While I prefer the tube sound, the small, little bitty amps with tubes sticking out do no create and expectation of good sound. The 336 does not fall into that category. Looking at it you just expect good things.

It is a shame that the manufacturer has not produced a website. I would like to get in touch with a manual, but such an animal does not seem to exist.

I am also a tweaker and at times find myself using the music to listen to the equipment and not vice versa. I know this will not be my last amp. The Bottlehead Crack seem to be a good next move. However, I do strongly recommend the Darkvoice. It is one heck of an amp.

Enjoy the music and the equipment, JS
  2. SOULSIK
    In Search for PERFECT SOUND - every audiophiles dream.
    Written by SOULSIK
    Published Mar 22, 2017
    Pros - Flexibility. Tube rolling. Sound. Quality.
    Cons - BLUE LED LIGHT AND FEW CONCERNS that can be solved.
    WHAT MAKES THESE TUBE AMPS SPECIAL?

Okay, so every audiophile or audio enthusiast I've met wants one of these and there is certainly a reason for it. Besides the fact that this thing just sounds incredible.....
    for many people, it is important and fun to change the signature of what they are hearing. BUT to do that we end up spending a lot on different types of headphones. BUT with these tube amp, something called "tube rolling" makes changing sound signature possible. Which is physically buying a new tube and changing it (not hard... its basically push and play). Call me crazy but tubes cost a lot less than headphones!

WHERE DO I BUY IT?

okay, many of you probably stopped at the "ability to change sound signature" and is ready to buy it. That is totally fine because that itself is enough for people to buy this. BUT do check out the "concern" section to see where you should buy it to avoid all those concerns. Anyhow, the link to best seller with a lot of sale, promotions, FAST shipping (got mine in 5 days) & most important of all no need for concerns noted below because units are all tested:
    https://https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/DarkVoice-336SE-Headphone-Tube-Amplifier-neat-technics-headphone-amp/601461_630928527.html/ (they are also on aliexpress)

ALSO contact them on their sales and they are flexible with prices and will help you get the best market price ! But forget the price... their units are at least flawless... from package to everything.

17439448_1341755785889719_1286287378_n.jpg

WHAT IS THE BEST HEADPHONE TO USE WITH THESE HEADPHONES?

I get this question a lot. Andddddd the answer in my opinion is HD600s & HD650s. BUT any high ohm headphone should be great with these. so I think its time to bring up the first concern. CONCERN #1: these are for high ohm headphones... BECAUSE of the way they are built. These are a 100% tube amp. This restriction is why hybrids were made perhaps.

IS THE BUILD ANY GOOD?

it is sturdy and made of metal/aluminum and that makes sense because these things get hot. But you have to realize... some people have misconceptions... they won't turn your room into a sauna or melt everything around it. Just don't touch it and you are fine.
    The blue LED light gets annoying sometimes but... atleast it tells you that its ON, some amps don't bother. Now the CONCERN #2: search darkvoice 336se smoke on youtube and you get plenty because sometimes they do smoke up. This is why you want to buy a GOOD unit from the RIGHT place... so that you don't get that dysfunctional one on youtube. note to yourself: buy from the seller I recommended, it will save you the trouble.

17440360_1341755879223043_1159371092_n.jpg

INPUTS AND OUTPUTS

Quarter inch jack headphone plug in in the FRONT
    AND
    RCA input and output in the back
    THE Power cord is sent compatible to your area, at least from the seller I got mine from.

17439825_1341755839223047_1029051440_n.jpg

HOW DOES IT SOUND?

Important yet vague question in this case. WHY? because you can change that but let me tell you the sound with stock tubes (which are not the best tubes you can get).
    The base is definitely extended on my HD650s. Everything feels grand and relaxing. Vocals sound clear and perfect whether they are singing quietly or loudly, every details is there. Mids are great as usual on the HD650s with little improvement but that could be me convincing myself. The highs are more detailed but does not in any way hurt me ears. (if you know what I mean)

WHAT ARE THE BEST TUBES?

the question I get the most. The correct answer would be "its your preference." My answer would be General Electric Tubes (watch z reviews tube rolling video). I used them and am very happy with how it sounds. (it sound clearer and deeper in all frequencies)

SPECS

Tube Used : 6N8P, 6N5P
    Frequency: +/-1dB 10Hz~20kHz
    Distortion: <=2% Output impedance: 32 to 600 ohm
    Power handling capacity: 1W
    Output terminal: 6.3mm Stereo Jack
    Input terminal: RCA Jack
    Power supply:  110V, 220~240V version (Note:110V will delay 3-5 days delivery)
    Case dimension: 290(L) *160(W) *135(D) mm
    Gross weight: : 5.5kg

17440342_1341755962556368_1681288816_n.jpg

CONCLUSION WITH DELIGHT TO THOSE THAT READ THIS FAR

Thanks for reading my review fully. SO in conclusion this amp is incredible in sound and flexibility but have few concerns that can be simply fixed by buying a tested unit from the buyer I recommended. Also I told them I would recommend them on my review because of their great service, so Mention that you were recommended by SOULSIK and they should give you the best price possible. Thanks again ! and check out my Instagram for more photos of the products I review ! https://www.instagram.com/jayzlee95

17439673_1341755932556371_1562227602_n.jpg

3. Shasari
    Very good amp
    Written by Shasari
    Published May 30, 2016
    Pros - Sound quality, tube rolling possibilities
    Cons - Stock supplied tubes are poor quality. Bright blue power LED
    I have owned the Darkvoice 336SE for a while now, and consider myself a discerning listener/audiophile. My listening setup consists of two KRK RP-5 studio reference monitors, and a KRK RP-10S, and for private listening I use a pair of Sennheiser HD 650 cans.

I purchased the Darkvoice 336SE through Amazon, and it arrived from the seller in perfect condition. I had better tubes on the way, but I decided to try the stock tubes. Well, they weren't bad (as bad can be) but they weren't very good either. I replaced them with a NOS RCA 6AS7G and a new Electro-Harmonix 6SN7. Initially I had a loud hum from the 6SN7, but did the tube burn-in that was suggested in other threads and that took care of the hum in about 40 hours. Keeping the 6AS7G out of the loop while doing the burn-in of the other tube allowed the amp to run cool.

I listen to a variety of music genres, from Mozart to Meatlof, Rolling Stones to Rachmaninoff, Hawaiian Slack Key to Nickelback, EDM (electronic dance music) to ... you get the point by now, I'm sure. I draw the line at Rap / Hip Hop - sorry, just personal preference. I have also played guitar, transverse flute and piano.

So when I say this is a very good amp, and not just for it's price point, there's something there to back up my statements.

I find this amp to be very pleasing to listen to, at any volume level. I haven't had to go much further than 1/4 throttle with the volume POT as it's got more than enough power to drive my cans, and provide good input to my KRK system. The lows are deep and rich, the midrange is spot on, rich and detailed. The highs are spectacular without being in-your-face bright. Very well balanced sound. I would suggest that anyone doubtful of the quality of this Chinese amp really give it a try with your favorite listening setup and good tubes before writing it off. You may find yourself pleasantly surprised, as I did.
      JKDJedi, Jim Spec and fredeb like this.
    1. Chris J
      Very nice review.
      I have used a La Figaro 336C for several years. Apparently they are both based off the same design.
      I agree with your comment on the stock tubes, I find NOS tubes sound better than the stock tubes.
      Chris J, May 31, 2016
    2. Shasari
      Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed reading it. Agreed on the NOS, or even some of the new tubes, such as the 6SN7EH Gold I have, from Electro-Harmonix. Thought it was going to be a problem, until the hum worked itself out.
      Shasari, Jun 2, 2016
    3. donato
      I also bought one of these (in the January drop on Massdrop).  I'm surprised there aren't more reviews on this unit here on headfi.  I initially wrote off this unit because I also built a Bottlehead Crack which I thought sounded better.  But the stock tubes kinda suck on the DV and I wasn't into tube rolling before, but it makes such a big difference.  I'm also using with my HD650 like you and it's a nice combo.
      donato, Aug 13, 2016

Comments

To view comments, simply sign up and become a member!