Campfire Audio Andromeda

General Information

Five balanced armature drivers and tubeless resonator in a machined aluminum enclosure.

Designed and hand built in Portland, Oregon USA.

Specifications

Accessories

1x Pair Andromeda earphones
1x Silver Litz cable with exclusive MMCX connectors and memory wire
1x Leather carrying case
3x Pair Comply Foam tips (S, M, L)
3x Pair memory foam tips (S, M, L)
3x Pair silicone wide bore tips (S, M, L)
1x Owner’s manual

Latest reviews

descloud

Campfire Audio's green (golden) child
Pros: Great tonality - can be agreeable for the majority
Good technicalities, (except staging and imaging - they're also top notch for an IEM)
Generally comfortable for at least a couple of hours of listening
Aesthetics and build feel is excellent for the price
Accessories and packaging are also excellent
Cons: Technicalities are *only* good, not outstanding
Bass is only so-so when compared against its cheaper Polaris V2
Aesthetic coating comes at the cost of longevity of said aesthetics - easy to get nicks in edges and corners

Preface​

These are the 2019 version of the Andromeda. I’m not gonna go about the other tangibles as it’s been already covered more than enough times by multiple reviews you’ve read online. As such, I’ll go straight to my sound evaluation.

Sound​

Similar to the Polaris V2, these are very sensitive IEMs. Scratch that, they are even more sensitive than the Polaris V2. At 112.8 dB SPL/mW sensitivity and 12.8 Ohms @ 1kHz, these are definitely on the sensitive side and get easily loud out of any source I have. There have been numerous advises that these should be paired with a source that’s under 1 Ohm to not affect their frequency response. I would agree with this, but I’ll still evaluate these with my most used sources - which are the JDS Element and iFi Micro BL (and sometimes an iPad Pro or MacBook Pro headphone out). The JDS Element has 1 Ohm and the iFi Micro BL has about 0.9 Ohms, so I would suppose they should be decently compatible with the Andromeda in this case.

So my word of advice for these, choose a good source with less than 1 ohm impedance.

Reference graph that I think best fits how I hear it is Crinacle’s 2nd or 4th graph of the Andromeda found here (https://crinacle.com/graphs/iems/campfire-andromeda/)

The tips I’m using on them were the wide-bored ones. Not a fan of foam type that decompresses and such so your impressions may vary with a different tip used on these.

Tonality / Overall Signature​

Upon very first listen, I thought they sounded somewhat W-shaped given that there’s some treble sparkle with a somewhat forward midrange and some noticeable bass slam (not to the same level as the Polaris V2 though). As I listened further, I found my initial impressions weren’t quite correct and they’re actually more warm-neutral with a treble emphasis around the 7kHz - 8kHz region. Seems my tonality description is somewhat similar to the likes of Crin and Precog’s, but the 2020 Andromeda seems to follow a more U-shaped signature.

The linearity of the FR seems to extend to the lower-midrange a bit, giving them that warm character, then added some treble emphasis to balance out the whole signature. This type of tuning to me, is on the easy to listen type where the music doesn’t demand attention. This can be either good or bad depending on how you usually listen to music.

Breaking down each region:

Bass
  • Extension is not great, sub-bass is not as noticeable
  • Decent impact, with very nimble texture from sub-bass to mid-bass
  • During busy passages, the sub-bass becomes less noticeable and mid-bass notes sometimes turns into a one-note type of presentation

Midrange
  • The FR shows that the midrange dip starts around 300Hz, so there’s this warm texture that’s noticeable on every track. Not an offensive type of warmth, but something that’s done nicely to make these easy to listen to
  • Male vocals have good body and texture, same goes for acoustic guitars and lower piano tones
  • Female vocals in the lower region also have good note weight
  • Upper regions where higher pitched female vocals tend to have this rough texture in them

Treble
  • The treble hills in the 7kHz to 8kHz region is noticeable by the slight grain quality which this region presents when a bit overdone against the balance of the whole FR
  • Extension isn’t that great, there seems to be a lack of ‘air’ space in the whole presentation
  • The lack of extension also presents with the attack of percussive instruments - meaning cymbal hits and hi-hats aren’t as ‘sharp’ sounding compared to how I hear them live
  • Given the slight peak mixed with the lowered treble extension - it makes the treble for the most part smooth sounding
  • No sibilance nor edginess that I can detect, even on the tracks I know that exhibit them

The treble texture of the Andromeda 2019 to my ears is similar to the HD6X0 series. There’s this sort of grain quality when consonant ranges are pronounced mixed with percussive instruments lacking snappiness and bite, but I would still give the treble quality of the Andromeda as better than the HD6X0 lineup overall.

Bass, while having decent impact, has this texture that feels lacking. I’m not sure if this is what others would distinguish as the BA type of bass, but it feels lacking when compared against the Polaris V2. It sounds in a way similar to the IM02 bass quality, but the IM02 hits harder.

Overall tonality is agreeable to me. I can listen to them without needing to EQ and that is a great point in my books for being versatile in my source.

Detail Retrieval (Resolution) and Dynamics​

Detail retrieval is just ok I think for the price. The warm tonality seems to get in the way of being able to hear the finer details in busy tracks. This might be controversial, but I think it’s about on the same level as my EQ’d Polaris V2.
Dynamics is also another area where I think the Andromeda 2019 is lacklustre. What I mean by this is that there’s very little dynamic range when going from the lowest leveled to the highest leveled instrument in a track. Further, dynamic impact feels blunted, unlike the Polaris v2 where at least it has strong bass dynamics and decent treble impact when EQ’d for better balance.

Head Stage and Imaging​

Another area that I don’t pay much attention to. Although, head stage is similar to the Polaris v2, meaning it’s the widest I’ve heard in an IEM. It’s impressive how an IEM can have this much width, above average to my scale. The only point against them is that the presentation still seems the majority in front of me, or like 180 degrees in front of me. Imaging is also pretty good overall to go along with the stage. I don’t detect any weird flaws with imaging.

Timbre​

Not exactly as correct to how I hear speakers, but it’s not too coloured to call it “unnatural sounding”. My only comment is that the pitch of vocals, especially female, seems to me to sometimes sound like a half note lower - which the overall tonality I think comes into play here. Since I mentioned it being warm, the bass extends a bit to the lower midrange, mixed with the treble above 8kHz not seeming to have enough decibel level, may contribute to this impression.

Overall, not bad and not something I’d take a lot of points off.

EQ​

For all the things I like about the stock tonality, I didn’t find the need to EQ these, and that is a plus for the Andromeda 2019. If I don’t find the need to EQ, then it’s a strong performer in my books.

Comparison​

Polaris v2​

I think this is a decent comparison. To get straight to the point, the Andromeda 2019 has the better stock tonality and performance, no question about it. The Andros are the better all arounder, better technical performing between the two. Once you put EQ in the mix, it’s a bit of a level playing field in my books. An EQ’d Polaris v2 seems to go toe-to-toe with the Andro 2019 in technicalities, and has the slight upper hand in bass texture. Although, to get there, you need to really play around with EQ and your preferred tonality, but given their cost difference, I would go with the Polaris (because I also like the Polaris shade of color better than the Andro).

However, I would still recommend the Andromeda between the two for the majority of people. If you were someone who uses EQ on most sources, I would say give the Polaris v2 a try. It has some hidden potential beneath all that bass bleed.

Audio Technica IM02​

This IEM I’ve had for about a year, and I think it’s an overall good sounding IEM. It is overall neutral with a hint of warm tonality. I just think the Andromeda is the better performing overall between the two, in terms of technicalities. However, the ace that the IM02 has over the Andro 2019 is the bass impact is higher, but the texture is similar, and it may be due to both using balanced armature for bass reproduction.

Conclusion​

I like the Andromeda, and I can understand their popularity. They have a great tonality, despite not having outstanding technicalities for the asking price. I think the technicalities of the Andros are passable. These I think don’t need EQ to sound agreeable for the majority, and it shows in their popularity.

Yeah, they’re good. Are they worth their asking price? That’s up to you. I personally don’t like spending over $1k for audio gear, so my opinion already has its price bias. I’m just another random member that likes to understand hype and controversies.

CK Moustache

100+ Head-Fier
Link to my review and measurement index thread where one can also find a full review overview, more information about myself as well as my general-ish audio and review manifesto: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/956208/

I only give full stars. My ranking/scoring system does not necessarily follow the norm and is about as follows:

5 stars: The product is very good and received the "highly recommended" award from me.

4 stars: The product is very good and received the "recommended" award from me.

3 stars: The product is good/very good, but not outstanding/special enough to get any of my two awards. ["Thumbs Up"]

2 stars: The product is only about average or even somewhat below that and somewhat flawed/flawed in some areas. [neither "Thumbs Up" nor "Thumbs Down"]

1 star: The product is bad/severely flawed to outright bad. ["Thumbs Down"]

Campfire Audio Andromeda

Source:

Personal unit.

Miscellaneous:

The cardboard box they arrive in is simple but nicely designed. Small (only enough space for the carrying case that contains everything else) and probably not fancy enough for the price, but at least no space is wasted and it’s also better than wasting environmental resources.
Quite decent amount of accessories (carrying case, cleaning brush tool, silicone tips, foam tips, SpinFit tips, Campfire Audio Pin); at least all one needs. I especially like the small Campfire Audio pin, and I am absolutely serious when I state that besides the shell design and colour, it was my main deciding factor to buy the in-ears.

The carrying case looks nice and is softly padded on the inside, but I don't like it at all and am using a case I built myself. Except for that the soft material inside is highly likely to release micro dust particles, the walls collapse to the inside when the case is closed, which obviously limits interior space, so that the shells will rub against each other and ultimately scratch and damage the green coating.

The green colour is by the way darker than expected, it's more like a shade of "forest/fir green".
The shell design is unique and beautiful. Along with the green colour, it was the reason why I bought the Andromeda for my collection. Build quality is good as well. I would have preferred recessed 2-pin sockets instead of MMCX, though.

The cable is of high quality and nice, but visually and haptically not the best cable I've seen or used on an in-ear (for example, I definitely prefer my UERMs’ cable over the one from my Andromeda, which is also true for most of iBasso’s cables (all related to haptics and looks)).

The Andromeda has undergone some mild changes over time (known are a change of the nozzle length (it's slightly longer now), nozzle material (or at least finish; they're polished instead of matte now), different screws, and last but not least shell design (another bevel was added for less edgy, more comfortable shells)).

What's not so nice about the (supposedly stainless steel) nozzles is the formation of condensation water.

Five BA drivers per side, triple-bore design.

Largest included silicone ear tips.

Tonality:

Warm, full sounding v-shape with bright upper treble peak.

To my ears, the bass is elevated by around 8 dB north of diffuse-field neutrality; it starts to rise around 700 Hz and reaches its climax around 100 Hz, although 200 Hz are already almost just as present. Ultimately it's a bass elevation that concentrates more on the mid- than the sub-bass that is however almost as present as the midbass (so no roll-off here), but due to the full fundamental range, there is a good bit of warmth and bloom in the lower mids.

The lower mids are clearly on the fuller side, but not exaggerated to an overly unnatural level.
The warm trend continues in the rest of the midrange as the upper mids and presence range are audibly recessed, wherefore bright vocals also lack some of their naturally present shimmer but sound somewhat muted instead.

The middle highs, just like the lower highs, take on a relaxed approach, just to return with a bright peak in the upper highs. And this very peak can be borderline sharp, borderline peaky, borderline unpleasant at times.
For a more realistic treble response, I wish that the peak were positioned a bit further above, and/or less narrow and/or less present. That said, I tolerate my Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10s’, Audio Technica ATH-IM03s’ or Pai Audio MR3s’ as well as the UPQ Q-music QE80s’ treble elevations definitely better than that of my Campfire Audio Andromeda.
While definitely leading to a sharp upper treble attack and being clearly more on the plasticky than realistic side, the treble elevation, on the other hand, is also responsible for a good bit of perceived “clarity” and “air”.

In terms of tonality, the NocturnaL Audio Atlantis have a quite comparable tuning in the lows and lower mids, but the more neutral midrange in comparison (their upper mids/presence range and central mids are more like that of my UERM) and are more linear, milder in the highs, without the Andromedas’ added borderline sharp brightness.

The Brainwavz B200 (the "old" original ones with black shells, not the much inferior and differently tuned v2 with clear shells and removable cables) are quite similarly tuned in the lows as well, but a good bit darker in the highs in comparison.

My Audio Technica ATH-IM03 are also somewhat comparable in terms of tuning in the lows, although somewhat less warm/full sounding in the lower mids in comparison. The Andromeda are more relaxed in the middle and lower highs (whereas the IM03 are closer to my UERM and the Atlantis in terms of tuning here, although ultimately a bit more relaxed in the middle highs) whereas the Audio Technica are more reserved, less sharp in the upper treble, while still somewhat elevated (so they have got the more realistic v-shaped signature in comparison – still fun and exciting, but not as gimmicky).

Frequency Response:

ER-4S-Compensation

Except for the peak past 10 kHz that isn’t present to my ears and except for that the upper treble peak is at somewhat lower frequencies, this matches my perception quite well.

ProPhile 8-Compensation

Resolution:

The resolution is generally very good, though.

In terms of details, the Andromeda are definitely among the more capable in-ears on the market. I'd place them somewhat above my Ultimate Ears Reference Monitors and Audio Technica ATH-IM03 in terms of resolution, and also slightly above the NocturnaL Audio Atlantis in some areas. They are about in the performance range of my InEar ProPhile 8, although undeniably with a much different approach to tonality.
All of those other in-ears are of course tuned (more or less clearly) differently, and all resolve very well, with some having slight advantages in some areas over the others and vice versa.

The only area that seems to lack a bit behind, although still resolving on its own, is the midrange, but that's mainly due to the relaxed upper midrange/presence range.

While the tuning definitely contributes to this perception, the highs are very resolving (even when reduced via software equalisation), so the sharpness and lack of ultimate treble realism is forgivable, although just to some degree, as it’s still borderline sharp at times. Note separation is excellent. With clean transients.

The Balanced Armature bass takes on a more dynamic driver-like approach with more body, rumble and softness (and longer decay lingering) compared to many other BA woofer implementations, however with still very good control.
While this visceral, dynamic, rumbling bass character coupled with the high bass details are undeniably fun and pleasant, one cannot deny that the softer character leads to a somewhat reduced perception of separation and cleanness in the lows compared to tighter, more technical BA woofer implementations, wherefore the Andromedas’ lows can start to struggle somewhat if the track gets too demanding in the lows.

Soundstage:

Largely due to their tuning with the recessed upper mids and peaking upper highs, but not solely because of that, the Andromeda present a very large, open and three-dimensional, out-of-the-head experience soundstage that is definitely spectacular and effortlessly pleasing.
Ultimately it is somewhat more oval than round, but this doesn’t stop it from extending very deep, combined with lots of spatial width, wherefore it appears very large and open, three-dimensional sounding.

When it comes to imaging, the Andromeda are fortunately no slouch either and feature precise layering and clean instrument separation with good rendering of “empty” space between tonal elements, although when the track becomes too demanding in the bass, the somewhat softer, more rumbling lows’ character leads to spatial cues becoming somewhat blurrier.

Conclusion:

The Andromeda feature a rumbling bass presentation that, while not the most technical, is still clean enough most of the time and can be quite addictively fun as such, combined with their very large, open, three-dimensional sounding soundstage and generally high resolution.
However, their shortfall is the tuning, or, better phrased, their lack of timbral realism in trade for a clearly more gimmicky, clarity-brightness-sharpness oriented approach to a v-shaped sound signature that can be borderline sharp at times; solely as for the tuning, there are other v-shaped in-ears that execute this tuning in a more realistic, gentler, less plasticky way.

Photos:

Last edited:
Reactions: F700

Watermelon Boi

100+ Head-Fier
Pros: Versatile & splendid signature
-Colorful while keeping neutral
-Great set of accessories
Cons: Vulnerable to white noise
-Not meant for those who prefer dark sound
DSC_0186_3.jpg

Campfire Audio Andromeda Review: Welcome to the Campfire

This one is already too famous for any introductions, right? Andromeda is not only a steady seller from CA (Campfire Audio) but also a jackpot that worked as the major opportunity to make the brand popular among the audiophile community worldwide. Although that may sound a little too exaggerated, in fact, that really was the case.

Campfire started off its brand with a 1BA model, Orion and next with a 4BA model, Jupiter. The second wave of products was an improvement from those existing models. Orion followed with a 2BA model called Nova, while Jupiter was followed with the well-known 5BA model, Andromeda. There is more to talk about, but enough with the introduction and let us now move on to the review.

DSC_0470.jpg

Packaging

Campfire Audio finally went through some revamp with their packaging and I am happy about it. There are lots that do not pay much attention (or not at all), which is very reasonable. But I believe better packaging and boxing do matter when talking about premium IEMs. The size of the new packaging still goes for a reasonably small box but roughly twice the bigger than the old ones. Once you remove the CA sticker on the rear of the box, the outer packaging would unfold and reveal the inner box which includes all the belongings. I very much enjoy this new packaging as they are beautifully designed inside out and gives a feeling as if you are unboxing a present.

Other than the earpieces, it includes 1 set of 3.5mm stock cable, 1 leather case, 3 pairs of earpiece pouch, 5 pairs of Final Audio eartips, 3 pairs of CA eartips, 3 pairs of CA foam tips, 1 CA Lapel pin, and a cleaning tool. CA used to provide only 1 pair of earpiece pouch before, but it seems like they have realized the demand for it and started to throw in an extra 2 pairs - which I appreciate a lot. The lather case is also newly designed to have the same color as the earpiece. The size also got slightly larger for better convenience when storing with custom cables.

DSC_0446.jpg

Earpieces

As shown, this "mechanical-looking" appearance has been Campfire Audio's signature design from the get-go. The earpiece is made of machined aluminum and sports an edgy look, though the edges are slightly rounded as well as the inner side forming a fairly ergonomic shape. Not the best in terms of comfort or compatibility, but the fit is not bothering at least. Though users with smaller outer ears will have problems fitting these to their ears as the earpieces are still a bit chunky and edgy. Andromeda uses 5BA drivers per side - dual lows, single mid, and dual highs. The dual highs are incorporated with T.A.E.C. (Tuned Acoustic Expansion Chamber), which is a specifically designed inner structure that sits in front of the drivers and takes a major role in creating their signature sound.

The nozzles are made of stainless steel and separated into 3 bores. Other than that, the earpieces are detachable and use custom-made MMCX sockets that are compatible with typical ones yet inforced in durability. Impedance is 12.8ohms which is quite on the lower side, making Andromeda a lot more sensitive on catching white noises depending on the cable and player. This means that if you are using another IEM with your player and detected some white noise, that white noise will most likely sound a lot louder on Andromeda. I would suggest pairing with a custom cable or a different player if such a case happens.

DSC_0437.jpg

Cable

The cable went through some changes too. First the shielding. The previous silver-plated Litz cable had a transparent silver look which looked good, but vulnerable to discoloration and stains. The new version has a smoky grey jacket that solves such problems as well as being even softer. Metal memory wires are gone too and replaced with a simple ear hook design.

DSC_0464.jpg

Sound impressions - Lows

For most cases, once a sound signature gets brighter, the more the bass loses quantity, moisture, and reverbs. This eventually causes the bass to sound "snappy". So how's the bass on Andromeda? While Andromeda is usually praised for its upper frequencies, it doesn't fall behind in bass performance at all. Lows are large and thick, creating a well-bodied slam and bass presence. The tone of the bass is on the darker/warmer side, providing better contrast and separation from the bright upper frequencies. Not to forget mentioning that this greatly helps the sound to keep its balance in terms of brightness and temperature.

Quantity of ultra lows is just about average but surprisingly well presented with clarity. The bass dives quite deep, providing a pleasant yet gentle amount of rumble. Midbass is plentiful and has just the right amount - not too much, not too little. The textures are smooth but not mushy and keep its precision. Let's now talk about the strike and decay. It hits solid and fast while keeping in all the juice from the bass, so the bass does not get dry or tough. So the strikes are fast, though the decays are slightly more relaxed in speed, along with an adequate amount of reverbs. The reverbs keep their limits on how much and far they spread, keeping the atmosphere clean and neat. Andromeda fully fills up the lower end with dark, deep, and rich enough details.

DSC_0213_2.jpg

Sound impressions - Mids

Mids are presented up close, scale large, and naturally connect with the lower mids. The lower mids continue the low frequency's thick, large nature. However, as the vocals carry out a bold and full-bodied sound, Andromeda shines with its analytical ability and highlights the texture details and the vocal layers. While the mids are presented close to the ears, it does not feel to be "budged out" but keeps the surface flat and evenly spread throughout the middle range.

Upper mids are especially impressive as the tone and position do not stumble as it crosses the sibilance area. Andromeda keeps a mild shine without a spike and steadily builds-up the brightness as it approaches the treble. This is worthwhile to say that Campfire Audio nailed that very tricky and ambiguous sweet spot where the vocals sound refreshing but not fatiguing. Overall, the BA drivers used for Andromeda are very well fused to each other to create a coherent, consistent, and harmonic vocals that flow beautifully.

DSC_0453.jpg

Sound impressions - Highs, etc.

Highs take a step back from the other frequencies as well as very slightly reduced in quantity. With a delicate and sparkly attitude, highs do a superb job catching the fine textures and multiple bits of thin and small details that could be easily left behind. Though that does not necessarily mean the highs are fatiguing. Andromeda presents the treble detail without getting the rigidity too stiff or sharp but instead lightly smoothens out the edges while maintaining an acute, crispy expression.

The highs are also appropriately reduced in brightness and distance, preventing them from rushing out or breaking the harmony. Thanks to that, there is a good chance that the Andromeda will still be pleasurable even if you are sensitive to brightness. I would say that the trebles here are tuned to be shiny and transparent while keeping the sound as fatigue-free as possible. Staging is outstanding. The sound nicely spreads out towards the x,y, and z-axis, forming a sphere shape headroom with distinctive layering.

DSC_0191.jpg

Eartip / Cable suggestions

The stock FAD / CA eartips are also good too, though my personal best selection for the eartips is Spinfit CP360. They bring out an atmosphere that is a lot airier without getting the sound too sheer or light-weighted. Most importantly, it nicely cleans out the reverbs and makes the sound presentation a lot clearer and bolder, so I would suggest giving these eartips a try.

Andromeda is keen to work nicely with a variety of cables, so choose an aftermarket cable would depend mostly on personal taste. Gold-plated copper, for example, would tend to give stronger reverbs and larger/thicker staging. Pure silver or SPC would give more crunch to the sound and reduces the reverbs, making the sound denser, airier, and cleaner. Copper keeps a very natural tone and usually a bit warmer and relaxed than the silver ones. I have been matching a variety of cables for the Andromeda, and my two best picks are Rhapsodio Nylon Silver and Satin Audio Athena. Both provide great bass with well organized/clean upper ranges.

DSC_0469_2.jpg

Verdicts

There is no doubt that Campfire Audio has done a remarkable job creating the Andromeda. Commends that end fast are simply hypes, while the ones that last long are like letters of guarantee. I have been and still am impressed with this one. Many years have passed since Andromeda was first released yet it is still in the game and winning big time against the new competitors. Not only the performance is more than enough being up to par, Andromeda sports a sound that is very likable for many people, making it a choice that is hard to go wrong. Its well-balanced sound topped with rich, color splashes of details would make this classic flagship model worth a recommend even in the long run. If you want to know the true house signature that Campfire Audio suggests, this IS the choice you should make.

______________________

Visit www.aboutaudio.org and follow on Instagram / Facebook for exclusive content!
______________________

Thanks to CA for providing Andromeda for an honest feedback/review.
I am not affiliated with CA and none of my words were modded or asked to be changed.

Comments

cheeseeater

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everybody. I'm looking into maybe getting the andromeda. I've narrowed it down to andromeda and the warbler prelude. Almost 2 years ago the was discussion on this thread about custom sleeves. I need customs because I need the isolation. I'm leaning forward the warbler but I'd more strongly consider the andromeda if there were a good custom sleeve option. Maybe someone here has recent experience with custom sleeves on the andromeda. I know Snugs does one but I haven't found any recent information. Anyone here using them

Erfan Elahi

500+ Head-Fier
Andromeda users, can any one suggest me key points to identify counterfeit Andromeda? I am buying a second hand. Will be using for the first time.

tlcocks

100+ Head-Fier
Guys. I just picked these up last week. I’ve listened to every genre. From Diana krall to Def Leppard Pyromania. These phones are completely addictive sublime unbelievable. Nothing out there short of CIEM’s touches them. And yes, that includes Shure 846’s. Andromeda TRASHES them. They sound like junk in comparison.