Brainwavz BLU-100 Bluetooth IEMs

3.70833/5,
  1. gikigill
    Well done Bluetooth on a budget.
    Written by gikigill
    Published Aug 6, 2015
    Pros - Great sound for the price, good bunch of accessories,good fit and decent range
    Cons - Needs better battery life.
    Review for the Brainwavz Blu-100

Firstly a big thanks to Audrey and Brainwavz for providing me the Blu-100 for review. I am not affiliated or been financially compensated for the review except the earphones.

I was contacted by Audrey as always for a review and received these shortly after. The package was great as usual for Brainwavz with a set of Complys,

multiple tips and the famous Brainwavz hard case is a nice touch as always.

These retail at $40 although thats hard to predict if you look at the accessories and the packaging.These are also very competitively priced all things taken into consideration

To start with the exterior, its well built and should last a fair bit with straight nozzles and a connecting cable long enough to run between almost anyones ears.

They are slightly heavy due to the Bluetooth bits inside them as the charging/battery circuits are all housed on the right side.

The fit on these is pretty good as they never fell out of my ears on the medium tips and I experimented with other tips from Monster and Sony and preferred the stock tips in this case.

Lets jump to the sound quality now as Bluetooth has never been best for sound quality and see how the Blu-100 fares in this arena.

To start with the highs, the highs are in control and luckily not sibilant as I am not a big fan of sibilance and prefer a more controlled treble with just a bit of sparkle. Could use a bit more control but hard to expect much from a Bluetooth earset.

The mids are recessed albeit slightly as the Blu-100 seems to be aiming for a consumer oriented sound and while the mids are not thin or lacking in body, they could be a bit more forward and stand with the rest of the frequencies. I would rate these as a consumer oriented signature aiming more for a bass and treble based signature.

Coming to the bass it has decent punch and extension , nothing like the S5 though. It delivers the punch and thump when required but is surprisingly behaved and not overbearing to make a mess of the rest of the sound signature.

Battery life is also very important for wireless earphones and the Blu-100 lasts 4 hours as advertised and charges quickly too. More is always welcome though but then again at this price its nit picking.

Overall I would recommend them in their budget as they are very functional for the price and deliver features and sound that defy the price tag and once again puts Brainwavz firmly in the value for money category. A fully accessorized Bluetooth earbud with decent sound quality for the price is hard to come by.

A breakdown of the tracks and equipment used underneath to give a better understanding of the environment in which they were reviewed.

Tracks used:

HouseRockerz-Herzrasen. 320kbps mp3 16/44.

Digimax & Javiera Mena - Complejo de Amor. WAV 16/44.

Hammer & Bennett – Lost. FLAC 16/44.

Zazie-Larsen. 320 kbps mp3 16/44.

Ayla - Ayla (Taucher Remix). WAV 16/44.

Kraftwerk-Das Model. WAV 16/44.

Bob Marley-Jamming. WAV 16/44

2. lin0003
    Terrific Entry Level Bluetooth IEM
    Written by lin0003
    Published Jun 23, 2015
    Pros - Sounds Nice, Aesthetics
    Cons - Battery, Connection
    First of all I’d like to thank Audrey from Brainwavz for sending me a pair of the BLU-100 for me to review. To be honest, before I was notified of the BLU I hadn’t even heard of it before. It is indeed a new addition to the Brainwavz lineup and it is very much in an entry level price point, being priced at an attractive $50 ($40 on Amazon), making it more affordable and accessible to people who may be looking for a new IEM. Brainwavz have always been a brand which I have associated with bringing good sound quality at a reasonable price and I hoped that their newest venture would impress me like some of their other models did.

What sets this model apart from all the other previous Brainwavz models is that it is wireless, and is a Bluetooth device. Through I am by no means a wireless fan, there have been a few instances where I have indeed been impressed by Bluetooth headphones. However, general, I find that wireless headphones do lose some detail through the transmission. The BLU-100 is priced at a very low price, and I wasn’t entirely what to expect from it, having had mixed feelings about other Brainwavz products.

**Disclaimer** These were provided to me in return for an unbiased review.

blu100-1.jpg

Packaging & Accessories
    There is nothing flashy in this regard, the BLU-100 comes in a very basic box, with a standard Brainwavz case and manual inside. Inside the case lie the assortment of tips, including a set of Complys, a micro USB cable and 2 ear guides. I found those ear guides really helped keep them in my ears, and were very comfortable, I didn’t find them uncomfortable even after long periods of time. The tips were nice and fitted well, especially if you enjoy Complys. I however, found that my favourite tips were the good old Sony Hybrids after some tip rolling and these were what I used in the review. The hybrids accentuated the bass a tad bit, but not much.

Design, Isolation & Cable
    I must commend Brainwavz for creating a very impressive product for such a low price. The BLU-100 does not feel flimsy or cheap at all, actually they feel like they are very sturdy. The design is well thought out, the fit is very good. However, the one downside to this was that I found it would sometimes cut out for no apparent reason. They cut out completely around 15m away from my phone, but it would cut out temporarily sometimes when I put my phone in my pocket or moved it. The buttons are easy to use and everything works as it should. The charging post is on the right, and it is micro USB, which is nice for easy compatibility. Inside there is a 60mah battery, which apparently lasts 4 hours. I’m not sure how accurate this is, but I didn’t test it out so I’ll take Brainwavz’s word; I did try use them continuously for around 3 hours with no problem though. .  Microphonics are not great, but also not too annoying. Overall, Brainwavz has done an excellent job here.

The isolation is not fantastic, but it will get the job done in most places. They are quite average in this regards, perhaps scoring a 3.5 on Joker’s IEM scale.

The cable is something I have a bit of a gripe with. As mentioned previously, it is a tad microphonic, but also it is too long. IMO it should be a good 8-10cm shorter.

leTPm1T.png

Sound Quality
    The sound that these little things put out was actually pleasantly surprisingly for me. Though it is that typical Brainwavz house sound and somewhat predictable, it is safe to say that the BLU definitely exceeded my expectations. Even though it is not the best sounding $50 headset, it does extremely well considering it is wireless. Even if it wasn’t wireless I’d still say that is sounds about average for a wired IEM of this price.

Bass
    The bass is undoubtedly accentuated, and not by a little either. This thing is very much on the bass heavy side and this can either appeal to you or kill the BLU. Personally, I’m not a fan of overly bass heavy headphones, but the BLU-100 did no strike me as an IEM which was overly bass heavy set. Although the mid-bass is quite solid and lingers quite long, I would not say that it really sounds bloated or muddy. Don’t get me wrong though, this is very much warm and the bass is on the slow side of things, but I actually really enjoyed it. It was lively and the detail wasn’t bad either. Overall the bass on this thing was awesome, at least for me.

Midrange
    Initially, I expected the midrange to be veiled because of the heavy bass, but once again, I was surprised by how nice it sounded. As I have stated before in previously reviews, the one thing that I simply cannot stand is a veiled midrange, I hate it more than a piercing treble or muddy bass. Though the bass does somewhat overshadow the midrange, I did not find that the mids were recessed. The upper midrange actually sounds just a little boosted relative to the lower mids. Clarity was decent, nothing special, similar case with detail. There was no sibilance in my experience with the BLU-100.

Treble
    Honestly, the treble was the area that I was perhaps a little let down on. It just didn’t have that kick that makes the music feel energetic and alive. Not to say that the BLU is dull, because it is not, but the treble is a tad to rolled off for my liking. However, this will suit many people as there is no sibilance whatsoever and people who are more sensitive to treble will surely appreciate this. Detail wasn’t great, a little under average for an IEM of this price I would say. Decay is a bit on the faster side and cymbals don’t have that sharp clap to them. The treble will appeal to those who
    want an unfatiguing and smooth upper end, but not to those who favour a neutral all round sound.
    blu-10016.jpg

Soundstage & Imaging
    The soundstage and imaging are both quite decent, not bad at all for a wireless headset for $50. The soundstage is actually quite wide and has a bit of depth to it, definitely better than most $50 wired IEMs. The imaging is also quite strong, it didn’t get overly congested and sounded fine for most tracks, with no issues whatsoever.

Separation & Detail
    Obviously with its tuning and the fact that it is a wireless IEM, the BLU-100 is not going to excel in these areas and it doesn’t. It is by no means a detail monster, but it does have some detail, just nothing that will blow you away. I’d say it is more detailed than the Earpods for sure though. The separation is also just OK, not great, but you won’t exactly feel let down by it.

Summary

blu-10006.jpg

I actually had a lot of fun with the Brainwavz BLU-100, it is truly an impressive IEM. So who would I recommend this to? Well if you are fine with a wired headset, especially if you are not looking fr an IEM with a mic, there are numerous better sounding options out there. However, the BLU-100 is an excellent choice for people who are looking for a decent entry level wireless IEM. It has a very solid performance and while you won’t be blown away, it has most certainly impressed me. It is getting a 4 star, but it would have been a 4.5 had the few aesthetic issues been resolved.

All the images are from a quick Google Image search, and if you own any one of them and want me t take them down, shoot me a PM.
      Brooko and d marc0 like this.
    1. Brooko
      LOL - well I recognise two of the images, and you're more than welcome to use them.  Did you get many issues with cut-outs in audio (stuttering, drop-outs etc)?
      Brooko, Jun 23, 2015
  3. d marc0
    "Look Mum, No Wires!"
    Written by d marc0
    Published Jun 21, 2015
    Pros - Appropriate sound signature for outdoor use; good build quality; effective phone call and music controls; aptX!
    Cons - battery life could be better; lacks balance when worn around the neck; maximum distance for bluetooth needs improvement

_DSC4246.jpg

Brainwavz is one of my favourite brands when it comes to reasonably priced IEMs. They seem to always nail it when it in terms of build quality and I am impressed by the sturdiness of their products. Sound quality wise, the R3 is my no. 1 Brainwavz IEM. The R3 sounds mature, refined, and well tuned for a dual-dynamic driver earphones. With the release of their new bluetooth headset, I wondered if they will retain the quality in their work. Fortunately, I've been given the opportunity to review the BLU-100. So lets find out if Brainwavz' entry to the bluetooth headset category can impress me just as much as my last experience...

SETUP:  Sony Xperia Z3 Compact and iPhone 5s
                   Spotify - extreme quality streaming (320 kbps)
                   Using Dunu 1000 stock tips.

TEST TRACKS: SPOTIFY
                  Australia TOP 50 - charts
                  Workout Beats

_DSC4261.jpg

The BLU-100 is a bluetooth headset and I will rate it based on my needs/uses from these types of earphones. The build quality is impressive just like any other Brainwavz product I've used. The cable connecting the two earphones is light, supple, and durable; perfect for the active lifestyle. I'm not saying its perfect because like any other product, there is always room for improvement. When not in use, one can conveniently hang the earphones around the neck. Unfortunately the weight of the in-line mic/remote causes imbalance and so the right earpiece always hangs lower than the left earpiece. Honestly it's not a serious problem but the OCD in me just bothers me to no end. This can be a easily improved hopefully in the next BLU model.

The earphones are quite big and I understand this is inevitable because they need to fit a few added goodies comprising a bluetooth headset (drivers, bluetooth, micro usb port, battery). Inspite the size, they fit my ears comfortably and are surprisingly light! The barrel design IEMs were able to stay snug and secure in my tiny ears, another plus that I didn't expect from these types of earphones. Physical activities such as running, exercises, walks, and other day-to-day duties were no hindrance to music enjoyment that the BLU-100 delivers. There's a mild cable noise when running but that's about it. Wind noise can be an issue but it didn't annoy me much as long as I kept a perfect seal and set the volume at reasonably loud levels.

Bluetooth connection between devices worked as expected. I didn't have any pairing issues with the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact and iPhone 5s. As for the stability of the connection, it's been pretty solid 90% of the time. Just like any other small bluetooth devices, there are intermittent interferences depending on your environment and/or situation. I didn't find any serious connection issues that could affect my rating for this bluetooth headset. It definitely worked as expected and for that I'm thankful. I spent 5 hours at IKEA with the BLU-100 and rarely did I get interference. Music through Spotify sounded great! My only gripe is the maximum distance required to keep a stable connection - not as good as the specifications of 10 meters. Real world applications at least in my experience was limited to 3-5 meters, again depending on the environment/situation. Otherwise, keeping the phone/source in my pocket is the ideal scenario for the BLU-100.

Phone call controls and mic are well implemented and I found them easy to use. Testing a phone call, voices are clear and quite loud. The person I talked to also confirmed that he can hear me clearly which is really good. There are added features as well such as multiple pairing, voice dial, and last number dial. As for Music controls, they are a breeze to use; well implemented for both Android and IOS phones.

Battery duration is well above specifications (4 hrs); a couple of tests I ran reached durations of 4 hours 37 mins and 4 hours 25 mins. This is good as per declared specification but I'd be lying if I said it's enough for travelling. It's definitely enough for day-to-day use but if long travel is the itinerary, make sure to bring a battery pack.

_DSC4251.jpg

_DSC4245.jpg

The SOUND SIGNATURE of the BLU-100 is ideal for outdoor usage, bassy with great mids and smooth highs. Not necessarily the best but definitely a lot better than most IEMs in the $100 price range that I’ve heard. That even includes non-bluetooth IEMs!

BASS has good slam and impact but can be a bit too emphasised in the mid-bass region for some genres such as rock. There’s a significant boost in the entire bass frequency which I feel is ideal when you're out in a noisy environment. Fortunately, it seldom bleeds too much in the mids and mostly just enough to be negligible when you're out and about. At certain times the bass texture is a bit thick which really benefits most popular music nowadays. Bass quality is actually good enough for the intended purpose of this headset. When you're out doing physical activities, accuracy is not the priority. Music enjoyment to set the mood is ideal and the BLU-100 has the bass kicks to keep you engaged to whatever music you listen to as long as it's not classical music. Decay/speed, detail, and texture are good enough; even better than the S5 if memory serves me right. As a result, other genres such as RnB, Hip-hop, Pop, and Ballads are excellent on the BLU-100.

MIDRANGE is impressive with its clear and detailed presentation which I really appreciate considering the price. Vocals are upfront for both male and female singers; projecting the right emotion when listening to the songs. Guitar sounds natural and edgy… thanks to the slight emphasis in the upper midrange. Clarity is again worth mentioning because it is quite capable for a $100 IEM intended for on-the-go usage.

TREBLE is quite smooth with this bluetooth headset, this is achieved when using wide bore tips such as the Dunu 1000 silicone tips. Lower treble is quite detailed and transparent which is good for synthesizers in electronic music. There’s a recession in the upper treble which smoothens the entire presentation. This allows loud volume listening because there is no sibilance and it's not fatiguing. Unfortunately, this is not good for serious listening because it lacks the required airy presentation. Despite this limitation, I truly feel the smooth treble tuning was intended to allow listening at higher volumes in noisy environments. Please make sure that you're in a safe environment when doing this because you have to be aware of your surroundings if situated in busy environments where there are vehicles or other potential hazards.

IMAGING AND SOUNDSTAGE: Soundstage width is only average but the presentation is not congested because of the well tuned midrange. It is a bit intimate in its overall projection but good imaging and instrument separation contribute in its cohesiveness.

_DSC4250.jpg

CONCLUSION: The BLU-100 is a capable bluetooth headset that is affordable and easy to use. It provides convenience to people who are active and in need of a companion that can deliver good quality music and effective handsfree phone controls. I could've given it 4.5 stars if not for the inconsistency in the maximum distance of its bluetooth connectivity. Other than that, truly an excellent entry for Brainwavz in the bluetooth headset category. Highly Recommended!

Special thanks to Brainwavz for the BLU-100 review unit.
      H20Fidelity, getclikinagas and fnkcow like this.
    1. AlexF
      Apple handhelds don't support Apt-X and SBC isn't good enough. Brainwavz needed to include AAC codec into A2DP profile.
      AlexF, Jun 22, 2015
    2. d marc0
      @alexf let's hope Brainwavz includes that in the iteration of their bluetooth headset.
      d marc0, Jun 26, 2015
  4. acain
    Minimalistic design with a great sound that won't break your wallet
    Written by acain
    Published Jun 19, 2015
    Pros - Great build, Great sound, at a Greater price
    Cons - Battery Life, Dust cap design,
    This review is for Brainwavz BLU-100 earphones

INTRODUCTION

Let me introduce myself my name is Adam I am a 38 years old, I have been into audio equipment since I was in highschool. I don’t consider myself an audiophile, I am just an average guy that loves music. I like to listen to my music with the best possible quality. My journey to Head-Fi started one day doing a search on the web for headphone reviews. Just about all searches for headphones and earbuds brings you to Head-Fi, after lurking for a couple weeks I finally made an account and here I am writing reviews. Being on Head-Fi I have learned so much and I am learning something new every day.

Since I am your average Tom, Dick, or Harry working a 9 to 5 job, raising 2.5 kids and a dog that know one takes care of but me. My reviews are written geared towards the average consumer since most web searches direct you to Head-Fi. Head-Fi reviews get more traffic than most pro-audio magazine or any designated review site, you won't find my reviews filled with audiophile terms or do I use graphs, meters, or charts the only tools I use are the ones stuck on the side of my head, there cheaper and it's the only tool that matters in the end. To be honest audiophile terms confuse me, some of them have 2 different meanings depending on who you talk to, or the definition says to see another term. Being a simple guy and write know better than a 10th grader, if you have at least a 6th grade education you are in luck. So if you're looking for the other type of review, skip down about 67 pages and you will eventually find one. If you just want to know if this product sounds good and is worth all your hard earned cash, then you're like me then, so keep on reading.

There has already been some reviews of the Blu-100’s, some reviews state they have a V-shaped sound signature and some say there neutral. Anyways Brainwavz reached out to me and asked me if I would like to review the Blu-100’s, of course I said yes especially with all the positive reviews on pre-production units. The demo unit I received is a production unit, I would like to say thank you to Audrey at Brainwavz for sending me out a review unit. I am not an employee or am I being compensated for this review, and is based on my honest opinions. Blu-100’s retail for $39.50 from the following link.

Bluetooth ear phones haven’t been known for their fidelity, but over the last couple of years technology has changed with Bluetooth 4.0. Personally when I use bluetooth it’s out of convenience, some of the things I want in a wireless headset is size, active range, battery, and weight. When convenience outweighs fidelity, depending on the circumstances fidelity may not be achieved anyway due to the environment. Earlier bluetooth headsets have been rather bulky and heavy, understandably to house the technology and batteries. The only time I really use bluetooth is when I am exercising or working. While exercising I can throw my source in a gym bag and don’t have to worry about dropping my dap on the ground or getting my headphones wires caught in a weight machine. Going wireless obviously I want the most minimalist ear bud available. Depending on my situation bluetooth is the only way to go, so let’s see how the Brainwavz stacks up.

IMG_1789.jpg

IMG_1792.jpg

SPECIFICATIONS

Transducers/Drivers: Dynamic, 8mm
    Rated Impedance: 30ohms Closed Dynamic
    Bluetooth 4.0 (CSRBC8645) with aptX
    Operation max distance: 30ft (10m)
    Battery: 60mAh - 4hrs playtime, 100hrs standby, 2hrs for full charge (Micro USB charging)
    CVC echo and noise cancellation
    Supports voice prompt for MMI: Power on - Pairing - Connecting - Battery low - Power off

IMG_1793.jpg

PACKAGING

Brainwavz Blu-100 come in a small white box, with there product photo on the front and the contents of accessories on the back. That’s about it for the packaging it get’s the ear buds from point A to B.

ACCESSORIES

1 x Comply foam tips
    3 x Pairs of ear tips (S/M/L)
    2 x Silicone ear clip
    1 x Micro USB cable for charging
    1 x Hard carrying case
    1 x Instruction manual
    1 x Warranty card

Blu-100’s come with everything you need to get you going, every size silicone tip for proper fit they also included 1 set of Comply foam tips. The nicest surprise was the hard clamshell carrying case with a zipper. Inside you will find a pocket on both sides for your charging cable and ear tips, I have to say I love this case and will be using it to transport some of my other iem’s. Ear buds priced higher don’t even include a case this nice.
    IMG_1797.jpg

IMG_1804.jpg
    IMG_1815.jpg

IMG_1819.jpg
    IMG_1799.jpg

BUILD AND FIT

The build quality of the Blu-100’s is mostly an a metal design, the housings are shaped like barrels and painted black. The right earpiece contains the micro usb port for charging. To access the port there is a rubber dust cover that lifts up for access.  The cable connecting the 2 ear pieces is very thin but sturdy, coated in a non-slip rubber material. Right at chin level is the 3 button mic/control for music controls and phone functions. Brainwavz Blu-100’s do have some weight to them being constructed of mostly metal. Although being slightly heavy they seemed to stay in place while moving around and exercising.  I have to say they were pretty comfortable for how far they stick out of my ears.

From other bluetooth sets I have used they are one of the smaller ones. Compared to Beats Powerbeats2 wireless they are considerably smaller. Compared to Plantronics Blu-100’s wire seems more flexible and more comfortable. Overall they fit perfectly in my small ears,and where very comfortable for long periods.

Being on the smaller size the Blu’s battery life is only rated up to 4 hours, I was perfectly fine with the battery life for the smaller size, they take about 2 hours to fully recharge them. They support Bluetooth 4.0 aptx technology for better audio quality and less battery consumption.  The 3 button mic/controller is just like any other 3 button, it’s also used to pair to your device.

The wireless range is about 20-30 feet depending on where I was at, I wouldn’t be straying too far from my source anyway. Overall I couldn’t be happier with the build and fit of the Blu-100’s, they are the nicest wireless earbuds that I have used to date. Especially compared to the price of other Bluetooth headsets that support 4.0 I was really happy to see they did not incorporate ear hooks. I can't stand ear hooks they make behind my ears sweat and they just look goofy. Most of the time you can tell if an ear bud is Bluetooth or wired just by the design, Blu's look more like a regular wired ear bud that I have seen before. Style and fashion are almost as just important as the sound these days, Brainwavz nailed it with the design of these.

IMG_1809.jpg

IMG_1811.jpg

IMG_1823.jpg
    IMG_1822.jpg

IMG_1839.jpg

IMG_1828.jpg
    IMG_1840.jpg

SOUND

Now to one of the most important parts the sound, so how do they sound? The majority of my listening was done using my Samsung Alpha streaming Spotify, I also paired them with my AK100II and Lenovo Ultrabook.  Some people hear them as having a V sound signature I would have to disagree. But we all don’t hear alike, that doesn’t mean they're wrong that’s just how they hear them. I hear them as being pretty well balanced. Don’t get me wrong you're not going to be doing critical listening with these, but they do sound better than some  wired earbuds I have heard.

They have a nice neutral sound with a slight emphasis in the mid bass region. Mid-bass is more present then sub-bass without being overdone for my tastes. The mids in the Blu-100 sticks out to me, being there strong point. Very good detail and smooth sound for being wireless. There is a hint of warmthness to them without sounding veiled. Upper frequencies are no slacker either, they have very good clarity and sound pretty balanced to me. Other reviews of the Blu's state to hear them as being elevated and sometimes fatiguing. I don’t hear them as being fatiguing at all.

Compared to the Beats Powerbeats2 wireless the Beats have more sub and midbass, with the Blu’s being more controlled and smoother.. The midrange of the Blu’s compared to the Beats is a hands down winner, sounding natural and more detailed. The higher frequencies of the Blu’s also comes out in front of the Beats, with the Beats sounding too laid back and distant. Comparing these 2 wireless ear buds could seem unfair because of the huge price difference, but in the end the Blu’s came out sounding better to my ears with a cheaper price. A lot of people have the conception that higher priced goods will perform better. And this just shows you how far from the truth that is. Some Bluetooth headsets I have used I have experienced a lot of back round hissing noise, with the Brainwavz these were pretty quiet.

IMG_1759.jpg

FINAL THOUGHTS

For under $40 you can’t go wrong with these, they're built like a rock and will withstand some tough environments. Compared to the other bluetooth iem’s that I have tried these are actually smaller. They sound pretty good with all genres of music and sound exceptional well with pop, hip-hop, rap and electronica. If you're a first time buyer and are curious about wireless iem’s, these are very affordable and I would highly recommend these. Or if you have a pair already and you're not happy with the sound quality. I am very impressed how something this cheap can outperform other products 3  times their price. Having a 4 hour battery life might put some people off, but that's a trade off for how small these are compared to other wireless sets that have a longer battery life. From first laying my eyes on these I was very excited to review them. I like the way they look like regular ear buds, a good amount of other Bluetooth headsets are very bulky to house the batteries and electronics so you wont be walking around looking like a freak.

Brainwavz Blu-100's are the first product that I have every heard from Brainwavz, just about all there products are affordable and won't kill your bank account. Hopefully I will have a chance to review some of there other products, I am always looking for a solid product that I don't have to worry about breaking my daughters college fund. Just kidding my daughter will marry someone rich, my luck she will only marry someone named Rich. Thanks for reading I hope I helped anyone interested in buying these.

twister6 and hakushondaimao like this.
  5. DannyBai
    Very capable bluetooth earphone and a no brainer at this price.
    Written by DannyBai
    Published Jun 16, 2015
    Pros - Affordable, great sounding bluetooth earphone.
    Cons - Fit can be problematic.
    Brainwavz has consistently provided great value to performance iem's and the BLU-100 is no different. This is their first bluetooth earphone and I would say they did an excellent job.

The BLU-100's come with the best earphone case I've come across. I buy these cases for my other earphones as well. Hard shell case has enough room for the earphones and accessories as well. BLU-100's, three pairs of silicon tips, ear guides, pair of Comply tips and the USB cable all fit without issue.
    Build quality of the earphone seem very durable. Housings are made of metal attached by a flat rubbery cable and the three button remote on the right side. The USB charging port is on the right earpiece and it's simple to open and use. Charge time was between one to two hours and play time lasted close to 4 hours.
    Button functionality is simple and worked flawlessly for me. Middle button for play/pause. Top button for forward and bottom for rewind. Short press of the top and bottom buttons increase and decrease volume. Long press skips forward or reverses the tracks. Middle button long press turns on or off the earphones. Pairing with my iPhone 6 Plus and my Mac computers was a breeze and after the first pairing, each additional sessions, the source remembered the BLU-100's and pairing was automatic.

Overall sound impressions of this earphone is mostly positive. Slightly v-shaped sound but vocals are not sucked out. Mid-bass emphasis that's not obtrusive to my ears and treble that is sparkly and crisp but lacks some refinement. Not bad considering this is a bluetooth earphone currently priced under $40. More in-depth sound impressions.
    Bass depending on fit can be mid-bassy or neutral with a looser fit. I found both signatures quite enjoyable but with a correct fit, these will have a lift in the mid-bass but there is good control and texture. There is no looseness with the bass. When called for, bass does reach well into sub-bass.
    Midrange is slightly recessed compared to the bass and treble but vocals come out nicely free of sibilance and grain.
    Treble is quite sparkly and crisp but lacks refinement. I hear some graininess at higher volumes but performs better at low to mid volume levels.
    The BLU-100's sound seems better controlled at low to mid volume levels but at higher levels it loses some control.
    Staging isn't wide or deep but what you hear is well rounded.

Comparing to the Meelectronics Air-Fi Metro2 which retails for $59.99, the BLU-100's 3 buttons are easier to use since it's just better laid out and built. Build goes to the BLU-100's since the Meelectronics is plastic. Housings are also a little smaller on the Brainwavz but fit is similar on both. Sound impressions are that the Meelectronics is more even in the frequencies while the Brainwavz is slightly more v-shaped. Both actually sound quite good for bluetooth earphones but the BLU-100's is the better value in my opinion since it's better built, easier to control and sound is quite competent.

6. pformagg
    Decent Bluetooth Wireless IEM for the money
    Written by pformagg
    Published Jun 16, 2015
    Pros - Bluetooth, Form factor, Price
    Cons - Battery Life
      [​IMG]

Firstly, like to thank Audrey from Brainwavz for supplying a BLU-100 to review. This is my first review for a Bluetooth IEM and also my first one that I have listened too.

Packaging, Accessories and Build Quality

The BLU-100 comes in a very standard retail box. It comes with standard accessories which include 3 Pairs of Silicone ear tips (S, M, L), 1 set of Comply foam tips, an ear clip, a USB charging cable and a nice clam-shell zippered case.

[​IMG]First impression when holding the BLU-100, is the size and weight. The housings are quite large, which is understandable, as they have to hold the driver and the Bluetooth internals. They are also a little heavier than most IEM’s that I have used, but I didn’t notice fatigue once I started using them.
    The ear tips are connected with a single cable, which also holds the remote calls and music controls. I would like to have had a cable clip with the accessories, as I found they can fall off if you take one ear out to listen to someone else while wearing them, but this is not a major issue.

Connecting to my phones was simple and easy. The BLU-100 makes a connect sound and the light (which is very dim) also lets you know. Charging is done via a Micro USB connector inside the right driver housing, which is easily accessible. Charge time is around 2 hours, which will give you close to 4 hours playback. This was pretty accurate, although I never went over 4 hours.

Sound Quality

Given that these are my first wireless IEM’s, I was not expecting too much. Well, I was very surprised. These produce very decent sound, not critical listening IEM’s but a great all round IEM that can reproduce good amount of detail for most music. The IEM’s are definitely suited to bass/mid lovers, but the treble was still smooth.

[​IMG]The Bass: BLU-100 bass is somewhat punchy, aimed more towards mids then low end sub bass. Still producing a good amount. Bass heads will still be satisfied.
    The Mids: The mids are laid back, and not really a great feature. But there is still a good amount of detail to satisfy most listeners.

The Treble: The treble has reasonable extension, which gets even better after the burn in. Like the mids, the treble is detailed and clear, but you feel that bass was more important in the design of this earphone. Still pretty good sound overall

The sound-signature is, warm and smooth, with a good amount of bass.

Conclusion

The BLU-100 is a great all round IEM. For under $50, you can’t go wrong with all the features that is on offer. Having Bluetooth connectivity, this is an awesome little IEM that cuts the wire. I would see this as more outdoors style IEM and most listeners will find the sound to be more than suitable. I consider these a very good all round earphone.

Specification
    1. Drivers Dynamic: 8mm
    2. Rated Impedance: 30Ω closed Dynamic
    3. Frequency Range: 20 ~ 20000Hz
    4. Sensitivity: 110 dB @ 1 mW
    5. Bluetooth 4.0 Codec aptX™
    6. Max Distance: 10mt(30ft)
    7. Battery: 60mAh
    8. Playtime/Standby: 4hrs/100hrs
    9. Charge Time: 2hrs(USB)
    10. Noise Cancellation: CVC echo/noise
    11. Voice Prompt: Yes
    12. Profiles: HFP HSP A2DP
    13. Pairing: Dual Pairing
    14. In-Line Remote/Mic
  7. givemeyourshoes
    A good bluetooth IEM for the money, great for the gym
    Written by givemeyourshoes
    Published Jun 7, 2015
    Pros - Fit, connectivity, apt-x!!!!
    Cons - only 4 hours of listening time, an audible hiss when not playing music
    Gallery:

Introduction:

Being on mailing lists is dangerous.  That daily MassDrop email, notifications from EarPhoneSolutions, etc… always making me spend my money.  Well, a recent email from MP4Nation introducing the Brianwavz blu-100 bluetooth IEMs peaked my interest.  The pre-order discount, plus the use of some store points meant they would cost me $31.00 shipped (MSPR $44.50).  At that price I figured what the hell, and placed the order.

Accessories:

When the blu-100 arrived, I was pleased to see the box was nice and compact.  I hate excess packaging, it’s such a waste.  Opening the box reviewed the usual warranty card and a zippered semi-hardshell case.  Packed inside the case are the blu-100 IEM, a USB charging cable, one pair of comply foam tips (medium), three hybrid silicon tips (medium set pre-installed), and rubber ear locks.  The accessories included are exactly what you need / want, and nothing more.  The case is nice too, as I have been tossing this in my bag all week (I bike to work) and no issues yet.

Specifications - copied from MP4Nation.net product description

Specifications:
            Transducers/Drivers: Dynamic, 8mm
            Rated Impedance: 30ohms Closed Dynamic
            Bluetooth 4.0 (CSRBC8645) with aptX
            Operation max distance: 30ft (10m)
            Battery: 60mAh - 4hrs playtime, 100hrs standby, 2hrs for       full charge (Micro USB charging)
            CVC echo and noise cancellation
            Supports voice prompt for MMI: Power on - Paring - Connecting - Battery low - Power off

Fit:

The blu-100 is certainly on the large side, but given that it is wireless, that is to be expected.  It feels a bit heavier than other IEMs as well.  That said, I have had zero issues with the fit.  The blu-100, using the medium hybrid silicon tips fits snuggly in my ears and stays put, even when at the gym.  If the silicon tips don’t keep them in your ears, the included comply foam S-400 tips should do the trick.  Additionally, the rubber ear locks will help keep them secure.  It’s nice to see that Brainwavz has provided options to ensure the fit is good for the majority of people.  The only con to fit is that the cable did stick to my neck a few times when wearing a shirt that had a rather large neck opening.  When I turned my head I felt a tug on the IEM, but it didn’t come out.

Function:

The blu-100 can be paired with two devices, and that works great because I have it paired with my Apple MacBook Air, and with my LG G3 smartphone.  When turning on the blu-100 (OK the more I type the product name, the more I feel like it should be an e-cig) with a three second press of the middle button, a voice notifies you that the power is on.  That same voice will let you know when the device is connected, and when it powers off.  If the device becomes disconnected, an audible beep repeats ever few seconds until you re-connect or power off the blu-100.

The three button remote is your standard affair with volume up and down, and play/pause in the center.  The play/pause button doubles as the answer/end call button.  A full review of the manual will outline the other functions, including how to fast forward, rewind, skip tracks, and use voice commands for your phone or computer.

In my daily use, the blu-100 has worked great with iTunes, in which all outlined controls function as advertised.  When using Rdio on my phone, functions work as well.  However, the volume buttons on the blu-100 seem to control an internal volume, and I am able to adjust the volume on my phone separately.  To make this easy, I have been seeing the volume on my phone to just below max volume, and using the volume up/down on the remote of the blu-100.  When using Pandora on my Android device however, results have been poor at best.  The volume up/down work just as with Rdio (or any other audio on my smartphone and computer), but the play/pause feature and skip track option do not function.  This is not a deal breaker, but is worth noting.

Listening time is spot on at about 4 hours, just as promised.  It feels odd charging headphones daily this past week.  Fortunately, these do charge somewhat quickly, in around 1.5 hours from drained to full.  Charging time will vary based on the wall charger or computer you are using.  One of the only major cons is that I wish the 60mah battery were larger, to allow for longer listening time.  Eight hours would be nice, to get me through a full day of use.

This probably goes without saying, but to just to confirm, the blu-100 does not have a passive mode.  If the battery is dead, you don’t have sound.

Having a decent collection of IEMs ranging from the Westone UM3X and UE Triple.Fi 10, to the SE215 and Audeo PFE 012, all the way down to $20 Panasonic and Apple Ear Pods, I have ALWAYS preferred wired earphones.  I have owned a couple pair of bluetooth on-ear headphones previously, and they lasted all of a week or three before they were sold off.  The artifacting and compression that comes along with bluetooth use is just something I can’t get passed.  Fortunately, the blu-100 alleviates this issue with the implementation of the apt-x codec.  The audio quality, in regards to bluetooth compression is more than acceptable.

The one issue that does plague just about any bluetooth device is present here as well, however.  I am speaking of the background hiss.  For $44.50 I didn’t expect a complete silent device, and I got what I expected.  That said, the hiss is usually only audio been no other sound is playing.  As soon the music starts I stop noticing it.  It has peeked through a few times when listening to pod casts or if a song has a spot of silence or a very quite part.  For the most part it isn’t an issue.

When it comes to sound signature, the blu-100 is on the darker side, and it certainly has a v-shaped sound.  The bass is full bodied, and hits nice and low.  It is certainly boosted.  To be honest, most of the time I don’t want this.  However, I purchased the blu-100 with an intent to use them at the gym, and in this situation, I want bass, and lots of it.  It helps me get into the music and forget about the pain of working out (don’t tear your shoulder at the batting cages ok kids).  The bass is full, but is boomy and not the most well defined.

When it comes to the midrange, you’ll find it is a bit recessed.  Vocals are still very present, and lively.   This makes the blu-100 feel a bit darker, but the sound is still pleasing and musical.

The treble on these is slightly boosted, but oddly enough, rolls off in the upper range.  It is never sibilant or harsh, and lacks a bit of sparkle.  But what is there is clean and helps to bring the music to life.  In short, the treble is polite.

Overall, the blu-100 is very warm, and reminds me a lot of the Shure SE215.  That said, the blu-100 is lacking in the detail and resolution provided by the SE215, but not by much.  The blu-100 is not without it’s shortcomings, but for its intended use, I have been very happy with them.  At the gym, these have been exactly what I want / need.  They fit well, get out of the way thanks to the behind the neck cord, and sound good enough.  These are not an audiophile’s dream, but for portable use and gym use they certainly get the job done, and quite well.  I would even suggest that these would be great for the non-audiophile in your life.

TL;DR - the blu100 is a good but not great wireless IEM for gym use, at $44.50 it is worth a buy.

*note, I have not taken or received any calls with these.  I talk on the phone ALL DAMN DAY at work, so I tend not to use the phone outside of work.  Other’s who have reviewed the blu-100 say the call quality is fine.
  8. suman134
    Go wireless.
    Written by suman134
    Published Jun 5, 2015
    Pros - Nice signature, good vocals, good SQ, Wroks nicely for calls too, Awesomely priced and accessorised.
    Cons - Nothing for the price you pay.

Intro:-
     All of us have heard about Brainwavz as one of the brand which believes in bang for buck products. Last time they ventured into an entry level amplifier, this time around they have introduced their first Bluetooth device, BLU-100. I don’t know how but it is priced at $45 and was going for $35 thanks to their introductory offer.
     Now let me tell you that it’s not the first time I am using a Bluetooth device, but my last one was a headphone, and I gave it to my father as he commute a lot (and mostly because it was not as good as I wanted it to be).
     This time around I was excited, cuz after reviewing this much of Brainwavz product I was sure that they won’t introduce a product which lacks SQ, at least it will compete with similarly priced earphones.
     And about me, I like balance, a good balance with some stage and spark will keep me seated. Not much bothered about bass till its tight and precise. It is nice when mids are not left in the valley.

Let me thank @Salsera and Brainwavz for giving me this opportunity to review BLU-100.

IMG_20150521_111604.jpg IMG_20150521_111619.jpg

IMG_20150521_111625.jpg   Screenshot_2015-05-21-12-27-46.png

Accessories and miscellaneous:-
     Just like every earphone from Brainwavz, BLU-100 too comes with that usual red black box. There are 4 pairs of tips. 3 are color matching neon green core silicon tips and a pair of comply S-400 tip. I am using the large silicon tip. There is a pair of wings too, like CKX-9 but its smaller and wider here. You get a cable wrap to keep the cable organized while not using. You get a micro USB cable too to charge the device. The port is behind a flap on the back of the right earpiece.
     Build is good, even if it’s made of plastic, it looks strong, I have no problem with the size, stays in nicely, one of my friend who tried it complained about the weight but it’s just fine for me. Wear it behind the neck and forget it. If you are worried about microphonics and stress relievers, just chill, we are dealing with a Bluetooth device here and there is a big portion after the cable to hold the earphone so you don’t have to put your finger on the stress relievers while putting it in and pulling out, still stress relievers are there to save the joints from accidental damages. And the flat cable looks solid to me.
     You can wear it any way you want, over ear, cable down, no problem.
     Isolation is just above average, not as bad as Titan-1 and not as good as SHE-9850, but similar to S0. Comfort is good, but S0 is a bit more comfortable thanks to its smaller for factor.
     While on the bike, I noticed some wind noise, it’s not bad but it’s there.
     I like the way it instructs, powered on, pairing and power off, it is acceptable.
     I think I should tell you about how to get started with, should i?

IMG_20150521_113830_HDR.jpg IMG_20150521_114106_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150521_113659_HDR.jpg IMG_20150601_110706.jpg

Getting started with:-
     I used it my J3 which has BT abilities along with Redmi 1S and Zenfone 2. Pairing it with any of these devices was easy.
     Just press the middle button for 2-3 seconds and a small LED starts blinking, means its ready, if you have it in your ear, it speaks out “power on”, it’s a nice feature, leave it on for a few more seconds and it start searching for nearest Bluetooth devices to pair with, and the feedback is “pairing”, cool right? And when you select it from your device it says “connecting”, sweet!!
    Me likey!!
     When connected two extra icons can be seen on the notification bar, one of for BT connectivity and other is for Headset functionality.
     Then you can play your music, Controls are easy too, start your music app, press the middle button once and you are good to go. Press it again to pause.
     Interestingly a double tap to the middle button will dial the last No. you called. As usually remotes operate, you have to press the middle button once to receive and end calls.
     A long press of the volume up and down button results with change of tracks, obviously pressing it once will turn the volume up or down from BLu-100, not of your source.

As I mostly say, no problems!! But not here, I have some problem with range. It reads 10 meters but its close to 4-5 meters, And once you start moving, this get bad. Frames starts to drop and once you are beyond 4 meters away, it gets worse. If a wall is in between you and your source, just forget it, it’s a no go irrespective of the distance. And sometimes bones too can interrupt streaming.
     So my advice is to keep your deice in your pocket, don’t leave it here and there while using BLU-100.
       I experienced some lag too, mostly when I play some game, its like 500ms to 1s late. Its not a bad thing but annoying as the demon screams after its already dead and my car crashes after its already crashed!! Nothing else, it’s me being slightly hard at it.
     It is time for SQ assessment.

IMG_20150601_110616.jpg IMG_20150601_110648.jpg

Sound quality:-
      Where is my VSD5!! And S0? yeah, got it, but comparisons after SQ.
     Its fairly balance to me, it feels like that because of its more forward and eager mids. I like it, its bassy never the less, and spark is there too. Its signature is warm and dark but not as dark as S0, sounds lush and cohesive too.
    So here we go with Bass:-
     Bass has enough impact and oomph to satisfy, goes deep enough, moves enough air too, sub bass is good too, has nice extension for a BT device, but there is a mid bass hump which ruins things a bit, drags itself into the mids and hampers the decay too resulting in a slightly muddy and laid back presentation. Otherwise things are good with the lows. Quality is good, precise and to the point where for a minute I thought I can compare it to Titan-1 but Titan-1 has more precision speed superior quality, and has a smaller mid bass hump too, but can be compared for resolution, BLU-100 is not vivid but has similar resolution.
     It has nice quantity and impact, mid bass quantity is just okay for me, slightly more would have put me off.
     Mids:-
     This is the part of the spectrum that has impressed me the most, its forward enough to make me forget those loop holes in the mids, soothing when listening to male vocals and sharp with Female vocals, feels awesome when listening to Tove Lo habits and Mr. Probz Waves, nicely done. Has given enough emphasis to vocals, instruments on the other hand are slightly Messed up. As I said it lacks some instrument clarity and are not vivid enough to do so. Micro detailing is a thing one should forget about while using these. Some guitar work, some triangle work, some cymbals too are turned down.
     The best thing is its forwardness with vocals. Other things are not so good.  And when you get onto trance and high BPS songs full of instruments and vocals, BLU-100 just falls apart, its unable to handle this much of information. So no critical listening can be done with this, and good for casual listening without bothering about cables and microphonics.
     Pop and hip hop tracks sound nice, vocal tracks are best suited with lesser instruments.
    Highs:-
     The nicer the lesser you talk about it. Its not like its totally missing but it lacks extension, there is some upper mid spark which extends up to lower highs, but that’s it, over that its muted, lacks enough energy to be clear, but till that slump its got more than enough energy, more than S0 to be precise. And its not bad, it just lacks much needed extension. Cymbals are okay, guitars are good, but when you get into some fast paced music with some serious instrument work, it falls flat, everything gets messed up, giving up much details, so play some slow jams, with lesser instruments, trance and house is just okay as the just use synthesizers in the track and it is just fine. If the track has some more things playing in the background, it will not sound nice.
     So stick to pop, and hip-hop, not rock, if rock don’t expect details.

P_20150601_111842.jpg P_20150601_112639_BF.jpg

VS S0:-
     S0 has deeper bass, more sub bass, decay is better and has lesser bleed to mids, very slight to be precise, mid bass hump is not as prominent, Mids are laid back and vocals are not as appealing as BLU-100, thankfully it can keep up with fast paced songs and does better with rock trance and house music too. But then it lacks some upper mid energy of the BLU-100 which puts me off. Has better top end extension but its kind of not enough as it lacks spark. Border line dark will be the best word for S0 where Blu-100 is slightly brighter and warmer.
     I think it’s a tie, or say not comparable head to head, I can compare any earphone with any other but its different case here.

Conclusion:-
    Better than my first BT headphone which was muddy and boomy with so much bass bolt that its mids were shadowed, sadly I never went for another BT device, I know that they will lack something when compared to wired ones or I will have to shell out some pretty penny which I am not willing to.
     But BLU-100 is more balanced, far better, mid bass is just at the border, vocals are good and mids are manageable, you get to run around without worrying about the wire getting caught up with something. It is a good companion for gym work outs or morning walks, you get to pick calls effortlessly and call clarity is superb too. Better then my 1s and similar to Zenfone 2.
     All I would like to have is some more extension with the highs and lesser mid bass with better reception. I hope the next BT earphone from Brainwavz will be like this. With a higher price tag obviously.
     But for $45, asking for awesome clarity and details from a BT earphone is a bit too much.
     I wont call it fantastic, I wont call it bad, its good, and can give nightmares to similarly priced BT devices.

Here is the link to this BT earphone device.

I stop here, that is it from me. Thanks for reading.

IMG_20150521_111633.jpg IMG_20150521_113816_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150521_114007_HDR.jpg IMG_20150521_114038_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150601_111157.jpg IMG_20150601_110947.jpg

Cheers!! good day to you all.

1. peter123
      Nice work!

I really enjoyed reading it :)
      peter123, Jun 5, 2015
    2. suman134
      Thanks, glad that you liked it.
      suman134, Jun 5, 2015
    3. suman134
  9. kova4a
    Surprisingly good first foray into the budget bluetooth market
    Written by kova4a
    Published Jun 1, 2015
    Pros - solid build quality, good overall performance and great pricing
    Cons - some graininess, a bit too boosted mid bass, can sound a bit busy

First off, I want to thank Brainwavz and Audrey for this BLU-100 unit.

Packaging and Accessories

20150512_232337.jpg

I received the BLU-100 before its release and it came in the Brainwavz iem case without the final retail packaging, so I can’t comment on it. As far as the Brainwavz case goes, I’ve mentioned multiple times that it’s my favorite iem case. It’s quite tough and specious and can easily fit a pair of iems and a small DAP like a Sansa.

20150512_232547.jpg

Inside the case was the BLU-100 itself, a USB cable for charging, and a small gray bag with the included silicone tips, as well as a pair of ear fins. The single flange silicone tips come in 3 sizes. As usual with Brainwavz a pair of comply foam tips packaged separately was included in the other pocket of the case to complete the package.

Build Quality, Design and Fit

20150512_232205.jpg

The Brainwavz BLU-100 has metal housing and feels quite solid without being too heavy. The cable is flat and as I’ve mentioned many times before, I personally am not a huge fan of the current flat cable trend. The cable seems sturdy enough but is prone to kinks and memory.The strain reliefs look substantial enough.

20150601_224838.jpg
    20150512_232302.jpg 20150512_232313.jpg

Design-wise the BLU-100 is fairly standard for this type of bluetooth iems but maybe Brainwavz could have gone for a bit longer and angled nozzles. Otherwise, the straight-barrel housings are a bit chunky but don’t protrude too much out of the ears. There is a plastic flap covering the charging port on the right earpiece, which seems sturdy but only time will tell how it will hold up, especially given the slightly short battery life, which is around 4 hours. There are also 3 control buttons and a mic found on the cable below the right earpiece, which do their job but maybe could have been a bit more rounded and less sharp around the edges.

The fit is good with the provided tips but I settled with other tips though – a split between spinfit and meelec m6’s single flanges. The isolation is surprisingly good.
    The BLU-100 is meant to be worn straight down but I found myself preferring them in an over-the-ear configuration. Microphonics aren’t bad but a different choice of cable could have improved that. There is no driver flex.

20150601_224758.jpg

This time around it would have been hard to manage 50-100 hours of burn-in, so the BLU-100 probably has arout 15-20 hours of standard use at the time of writing this review.
    Initially I was going to post my review with impressions based only on the performance of the BLU-100 with my Galaxy A3 but later got a Galaxy S5 from a friend to test the performance with an apt-X enabled device and base my review on it.

The bass is quite present. It has decent speed but lacks some depth. The mid-bass is boosted a tad too much and while the impact is pretty big it’s on the soft side. The low end does blend well with the overall smooth presentation of the BLU-100 though.

The mids are slightly laid back. The overall tonality is on the warm side. Clarity is decent and there was definitely an improvement moving to a device supporting apt-X. In comparison the BLU-100 sounded somewhat busy and compressed with my A3, which made it muddier. Male vocals have good presence but the enhanced mid-bass adds air to them making them full but lacking some focus. Female vocals, on the other hand, are more relaxed and a bit grainy due to some dryness in the lower treble. Overall the mids are not overly warm and V-shaped and have a nice tone and musicality.

The BLU-100 lacks some energy in the lower treble but is not prone to pointing out sibilance and fairly smooth. It is a bit dry though. It’s low on sparkle but has good upper treble presence and there is a good amount of shimmer. The treble is another area where for me the apt-X definitely contributed positively.

BLU-100 is relatively spacious with above average width but is lacking a bit in the depth department. The separation is pretty good but the layering is lacking and the BLU-100 can sound busy at times even with apt-X.

Summary

Brainwavz BLU-100 turned out to be quite a competent performer, especially given its budget pricing. I personally have no complaints about the battery life as with bluetooth iems longer battery life requires larger housings or extra pods on the cable. For what it is – an affordable bluetooth iem and a first attempt for such a product by Brainwavz, the BLU-100 is getting the job done surprisingly well.
  10. peter123
    Freedom on the move!
    Written by peter123
    Published May 31, 2015
    Pros - Fully functional remote, decent sound and freedom when out and about
    Cons - Ergonomics can be an issue
    First of all I'd like to thank Brainwavz and Audrey for giving me a chance to check out the Brainwavz BLU-100 Bluetooth IEM.

Introduction:
    The Brainwavz BLU-100 is Brainwavz first attempt at a Bluetooth IEM. It’s also the first Bluetooth IEM (or headphone as well for that matter) that I try myself. Being so I was not quite sure what to expect so I was really excited to try them out.

Built and accessories:
    The accessory pack is good as always with Brainwavz and includes four pairs of tips (one pair of Comply foam tips and three pairs of silicon tips), one pair of silicon wings to help make them stay in place in your ears as well as a charging cable and a zippered case to store them in.

Built quality is top notch although the housing is pretty large and weight is over 8 gram which is pretty heavy for an IEM. The relatively heavy housing and wide short nozzle made it a challenge for me to get a good fit initially (I’ve got small ear canals) but eventually I was able to get a good seal and a fit that made them stay put in my ears. Isolation is about average for an IEM.

In spite of being a Bluetooth IEM the BLU-100’s got a cable connecting the housings to each other. This is also where the remote and mic unit is located. The cable is about 60 cm long and I wouldn’t have complained if it had been 10 cm shorter.

Battery time is stated to be 4 hours and I find that to be correct. The right housing hosts a micro USB port for charging.

I’ve really enjoyed the features that the BLU-100 offers. Not having to worry about the cable getting stuck or bringing my phone with me every time I get up from my desk has been great. It’s also been very nice to be able to listen to music while cooking at home.

The remote control also works fully with my Xperia Z3 phone (something that’s not often the case) and the mic seem to be of very good quality. To start with I had trouble telling if the headset was on or off but then I realized that it actually tells you if you put them in your ears before turning them on, very nice.

My general impression is that the BLU-100 feels robust and well thought out and is a really convenient alternative when you’re moving around be so at the office, at home or while working out.

The Specs:

IMG_2243.jpg

IMG_2244.jpg

IMG_2245.jpg

IMG_2246.jpg

I've let them play for over 50 hours and I've used them while working out, at the office and at home and I've not found any weaknesses to the way they're constructed. I've been using them exclusively with my Sony Xperia Z3 Compact phone.

Demo list:
    Thomas Dybdahl – A Lovestory
    Norah Jones – Don’t Know Why
    Celldweller – Unshakeable
    Jack Johnson – Better Together
    Seinabo Sey – Younger (Kygo remix)
    Dire Straits- So Far Away
    Passenger – Let Her Go
    Morrissey – Earth Is the Loneliest Planet

As I mentioned initially these are my first pair of Bluetooth IEM’s and being so I didn’t know what to expect from it regarding the sound quality.

My first impression was that they perform better than I feared and that they'd probably be better for use outside.

The overall sound signature of the BLU-100 is pretty balanced except for a mid-bass hump.

To start from the lows the sub bass is present but far from overwhelming. Moving up to the lower mids they’re the most noticeable part of the presentation making the mid-bass pretty dominating. Still the higher mids doesn’t feel recessed and the treble is well present. Overall clarity is good and detail retrieval as well as soundstage is also decent. I would really have liked for the mid-bass to be more toned downed and for the sub bass to have some more impact but the BLU-100 still offers an enjoyable listening experience.

To be honest the BLU-100 is not an IEM I’d use for critical listening in my home but for use out and about with top 40 kind of music they’re still a solid performer.

Summary:
    As a total package the BLU-100 is a solid offering. The combination of a decent sound quality and very good usability on this first attempt on a Bluetooth IEM from Brainwavz makes me really looking forward to what they future Bluetooth offerings will be like. Meanwhile I’ll enjoy the BLU-100!
      twister6 and hakushondaimao like this.
    1. hakushondaimao
      Nicely done, Peter, and great music list.
      hakushondaimao, May 31, 2015