Audioengine 5 is a full size speaker system in a bookshelf-sized package. Internal power amps...

Audioengine A5 Powered Multimedia Speaker System (Black)

3.875/5,
  • Audioengine 5 is a full size speaker system in a bookshelf-sized package. Internal power amps eliminate the need to connect the Audioengine 5 to a bulky stereo receiver or power amplifier. And with built-in subwoofer ports, the Audioengine 5 adds incredible low-end bass without the need for an external subwoofer.

Recent Reviews

1. brotherlen
    Good speakers.
    Written by brotherlen
    Published Mar 19, 2012
    Pros - Loud, clear, not made out of cardboard
    Cons - almost too loud for small rooms/apartments,
    Owned these for about a year until i downsized to the A2s, these sound good, excellent warranty. Worth getting.
  2. Manyak
    Powerful but Lacking
    Written by Manyak
    Published Aug 31, 2011
    2.0/5,
    Pros - Powerful
    Cons - Lacks any real definition or clarity
    They're better than any other PC Speakers I've ever heard, and are powerful enough to fill a small room. But that's about all the praise that I can give their sound, and it's not like PC speakers set a high bar.

The sound out of these speakers is very disappointing considering their price and all the rave reviews they've gotten. The bass is extremely muddy and lacks anything that even resembles accuracy. Mids and highs are distorted to hell and back. There's no detail in any part of the spectrum. Music just doesn't sound...well..."musical".

I really can't recommend these speakers to anyone. For only 2/3rds of the price (or less) you can get a pair of cheap Polk Monitor 30's (or similar) bookshelf speakers and a vintage Marantz or Pioneer receiver/amp to drive them. No matter what sort of music you listen to, a setup like that outdoes these speakers by leaps and bounds, and for less money.
    1. View previous replies...
    2. megamagic
      A couple of things.
      First, they do sound significantly better after burn-in as the sound really opens up. When I first got mine I preferred even listening to my A2's which had been used for about a year. So you might want to wait a bit so how the sound changes for you after burn-in.
      Second I believe that these scale a lot with the source which is being used. With the Musiland Monitor 02 which is generally considered a decent entry level usb dac, the sound was fairly clean and musical sounding. But after switching to a Yulong D100, the sound improved in at least a few areas. Bass extended lower, the sound was cleaner ie. easier to hear separation of different sounds, and the detail and texture of sounds was better. My description might not be the best but given that I was easily able to differentiate between the two sources fairly easily using the A5's, I think they have potential but are limited by the source. This would be especially true if using integrated audio rather than a pci DAC card or external DAC.
      Also as a side note I've auditioned the M-Audio BX5a but did prefer the sound signature of the A5 for music and overall really.
      megamagic, Sep 3, 2011
    3. Manyak
      I've actually had them for about 2 months now. I also left them playing for 48 hours straight when I first got them (as I do with all equipment) so I'm sure they're past their burn-in period. The source I'm using is a Benchmark DAC1 Pre, though I've also tried a Xonar D2x, a Fiio E7, an iPod LOD, and my turntable's preamp. They are positioned about 65" apart from each other, and about 2ft away from the back wall (my desk is 71" wide and they're at the very edges). I haven't tried using stands, but I can't imagine them performing any miracles either.

Maybe it's just me, but I keep feeling like I'm just listening to midrange distortion with a beat.
      Manyak, Sep 5, 2011
    4. Eisenhower
      I concur, these are very overrated speakers. Good, but not designed for desktop use, and out classed by other bookshelves for room speakers.
      They are probably average for their price range.
      Eisenhower, Jan 16, 2012
  3. ulnevrgtit
    As good as pc/ipod speakers can be
    Written by ulnevrgtit
    Published Aug 31, 2011
    Pros - sound quality/quantity....in that order
    Cons - limited source limits speakers, finish
    These are as good as it gets in terms of pc speakers imo (speakers connected via the mini plug).  I prefer stereo and these do sound quite good and can really fill a reasonably sized room pretty well.  They've provided more then was/can be expected. Very versitile as well.  Finish is kind of cheap, especially the gray ring around the woofer/tweeter. The bamboo ones do look awesome but still have the cheap looking gray ring. Minor quivels with great overall product.
  4. luvandp3ace
    Solid desktop speakers - with power to spare
    Written by luvandp3ace
    Published Aug 14, 2011
    Pros - Great sound, great value, okay design
    Cons - Kinda big, somewhat of a boxed in sound...

A quick touch on the A5's. I did some reading on line and apparently they were awesome... I also wanted something with a bit more use than saw the Harmon Kardon Sound Sticks and I'm really happy I went with the A5's!

Sound is great for speakers this size - one thing I'd mention is that these boys can get loud. Really Really loud.

I've heard the SoundSticks but I'm pretty sure they can't stand up to these guys.

Sound is rich, very detailed, great imaging - not the best... But for $350 (and cheaper online) great piece of equipment and I highly recommend it.

One thing to note - they are on the larger side and I have them on my desk here. Being so close to them going loud isn't a good option and sometimes I feel like the sound is a little boxed in - that is all gone when I'm walking around the room and it's a bit further away...
    1. manene
      would you recommend the a5+ or the mm-1... if they were the same price, which one would you get?
      manene, May 6, 2012

Comments

To view comments, simply sign up and become a member!