Music has never sounded better or closer than with the Quincy Jones Signature Series Q701 Reference...

AKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Line

• Music has never sounded better or closer than with the Quincy Jones Signature Series Q701 Reference Class Headphones. Sparkling harmonics,incredible low distortion and unequalled realism in the lower frequencies - it's the huge, airy, three dimensional sound that's been only available in the finest high end speaker systems and microphones. Now, we've engineered it into the most accurate and responsive reference headphones we've ever produced, the Q701. Hear music exactly as the artist intended.

Recent Reviews

1. bosiemoncrieff
    great value for bass-light classical/acoustic dragon slayer
    Written by bosiemoncrieff
    Published Sep 5, 2016
    Pros - good soundstage and tone, punches above weight, fairly light
    Cons - rattle in right driver, schiit headband
    Q701 is not really a headphone that merits a long review. It was my entree into the high-fi world, and a good entree at that. If you listen primarily to classical/jazz/acoustic music and/or are using the headphone for mixing purposes, it is a stupendous value for ~$200. Piano especially is airy and wonderful, but all orchestral stuff is ably done. Other than that, probably just recommended for clinical things like mastering. It can be driven by an iPhone, though amplification is worth considering for a better sound.

Headband has bumps. I think they feel like schiit. (K1000 on temples is far worse, however). Worse than this though is the rattle in the right driver. Not dissimilar to the rattle in my K1000, it comes and goes, but affects certain piano tracks in particular at unpredictable frequencies (I should do a lab test of this).

All in all, at anything under $200 a great value. Amazon fluctuates a lot, and they're only over $200 right now, so I'd say don't buy over a cheaper K701/02/12. For ~$100, which it's regularly listed at used on HF, an utter steal. Even if you're not a fan of the sound signature, it would be a good neutral (though on the brighter side of neutral) can for critical listening, and a small investment next to the HD800. AKG's 700 series is incredible, and as used cans continue to plummet in resale value, the community collectively reaps that reward. Get one!
  2. kwirky88
    Grown to love the sound
    Written by kwirky88
    Published Aug 16, 2016
    Pros - Linear audio, can reach down to 10hz, amazing spatialization
    Cons - Headband can be uncomfortable, requires good amplification
    Bought from Memory Express in Canada for about $220 CAD.  Don't overpay, these can be found for around $250 if you search around.

Sound impressions:
    Measured with a UMIK1 and the response is very linear with a smooth increase up to 1khz then a smooth decrease back down to 20khz.  Can reach as low as 10hz with a tone generator (can't hear it but can definitely feel it on the skull!).  The sound is incredibly spatial!  Live music (concerts, orchestra) sounds amazing!  Songs with reverb sound awesome.  Can hear a lot of detail.  Very linear audio and if you're into equalization (or tube rolling) these things have a lot of diversity available due to the linear response.  Can make them sound like anything.

I've grown to love the sound.  I listened to an assortment of grado & beyerdynamics headphones at a local shop on various amps and preferred these to headphones over $2000.

Amplifier Requirements:
    These are not efficient headphones.  Needs 150mw at 64 ohms and headphone/phone jacks can't do that.  Don't buy these headphones unless you plan on getting a half decent headphone amp.  Not even my fiio X1 can drive these things.  I get good amplification from the following items I own:
    1. NAD 326BEE integrated receiver headphone jack
    2. Audioquest Dragonfly 1.4 Black (connecting this to android makes it my most portable amplification solution)
    3. Little Dot I+ Hybrid Tube/SS headphone amp (amazing combination!)

I highly recommend the Little Dot I+ Hybrid tube amp if you're looking for a headphone amp and don't want to spend a lot.  Get it with the 6CQ6 tubes which pair well with the headphone's audio signature.

Comfort:
    Large ear cups are comfortable even with glasses.  Headband feels "hard" and tight and can become painful after an hour of use.  Spring is a little too tight.

Upgradeability:
    I haven't done it yet but supposedly these can be easily modified to have a balanced audio jack for balanced outputs.  The 3 conductor mini-xlr jack is replaced with a 4 conductor, soldering separate negative/ground terminals on two separate conductors.  Then order a 4 conductor balanced cord with mini-xlr for the headphones and whichever balanced connector on your headphone amp.  That's a nice feature in case I move to a very high end headphone amplifier.

Supposedly can open up the side covers & slip in some cloth for a little more bass and a little less spatialization.  Haven't tried that yet.
    1. Sonic Defender
      AKG is one of the few brands I haven't tried yet. Thanks for the review, it sounds like the Q701 is interesting and the price seems right. Cheers.
      Sonic Defender, Aug 16, 2016
    2. GearMe
      Nice review. Great headphones for the $$$.

Side note...if you're thinking about getting a new smartphone, these work very well with the LG V10. The have a high enough impedance to trigger the high-gain setting on the phone's amp. The sound is very good straight out of the headphone jack.
      GearMe, Aug 16, 2016
  3. Peanut Jin
    Detailed and amazing soundstage
    Written by Peanut Jin
    Published Apr 19, 2016
    Pros - good sounstage, nice clean bass and very engaging mids
    Cons - headband bump, sometimes upper mid might be too bright for some songs
    overall this is a good headphone, and i love it very much.lucky for me i got the Austria version, as i happen to know they are now manufactured at china

the sound is just what i am looking for in most of the headphones, where i prefer a more emphasized mids and trebles. a lot of people complained about the lack of bass but for me the bass is just a clean bass, not bassy type that u can find in other headphones. bass are punchy and u can feel every "thump" of it instead of muddy bass, which is very nice as this does not affect the mids and vocal.

soundstage are amazing, music and songs played by it feels like being played by a speaker instead (not literally but you get what i mean). i dont feel like the song is being pressured into my ear, like forcing me to listen, instead it were presented at a very comfortable level. although some claimed to be able to differentiate which instrument is played at which row in an orchestra, i personally cant really differentiate that, maybe its because the lack of really high quality files (the highest quality i had is just lossless 24-bit files).

vocals are very nice, although sometimes might be too bright for long listening sessions, but tone the volume down a little bit on my Centrance hifi m8 DAC amp and its just nice. Amber Rubarth's sessions from the 17th ward sounds amazing with this cans. it gets better with every listen.

love the detachable mini xlr, as it gives option to change to a balanced cable or other brand instead of modding. And green cable looks just fine after awhile.

the headbump sure can cause some pain though on my head after some time, but a slight adjustment to the front or back of my head can solve this problem

overall very happy with this headphone, and its my first AKG, the other cans are Grado SR325is and Audio Technica M50
    1. Sonic Defender
      Nice review, not sure this could go balanced, it would depend on whether or not the headphone inside is wired for balanced. That I believe is just a standard 3 pin mini XLR, but I haven't seen one in a while. Suppose I could go to the AKG site, but I'm lazy. I would like to hear this headphone again as I don't really remember it well. Stuff made in China is as good and often better than stuff made in the West. The quality gap used to be big, but not anymore, for so much of the audio gear there really is no gap at all that is why so much top-tier gear is made in the Far East now. Top of line factories, skilled labour force so China made gear is just fine IMO.
      Sonic Defender, Apr 19, 2016
    2. Wokei
      nice review and alos agree with Sonic Defender statement .

cheers
      Wokei, Apr 19, 2016
  4. dagothur
    Fast, cold and detailed
    Written by dagothur
    Published Feb 21, 2016
    Pros - Very fast, beautifully textured, respond well to a variety of amplification, elegant design, smooth mids, great price:performance ratio
    Cons - Weak bass, cold, can be fatiguing very quickly, not very suitable for poor recordings, 'impersonal' sound, comfort
    Introduction:
      I purchased the Q701s in September of 2012 after thoroughly enjoying an audition with a friend of mine's about a year earlier.  I had heard a lot about AKGs beforehand: polite, analytical, cold and detailed.  I wasn't prepared for how exciting and energetic they could be even through my relatively weak Nuforce Icon HDP.  After a little more than two years of owning them (and purchasing a pair of V-Moda M100s for mobile use), they had become my main headphone after the left driver of my beloved LCD-2s went kaput.
    Design and Comfort
     I thought the green Q701s were a little silly looking so I chose black.  They are elegant, high-tech looking cans with clean lines and excellent symmetry.  Not quite as high-tech as the HD800s, but they're definitely more space-age than my robust M100s or my luxurious LCD-2s.  The headphones are otherwise very light, both on the head and in the hands.  I've always thought suspension headbands were the way to go both for stylistic reasons and ergonomic considerations, but AKG did well in removing the bumps in future offerings.  As well, the cushions are still firm and slightly uncomfortable after years of frequent use.
    Equipment: Audio-GD NFB-10SE, Foobar 2000, pain-in-the-rear 20ft cable
    Highs
     Being a cold headphone, the highs can be very sibilant on some progressive and electronic albums.  Even on upper mids listening can become fatiguing for albums that aren't well recorded.  Bright recordings are headache inducing and electronic music can be painful.  That being said, orchestral music is always a pleasure.  Despite being polite relative to the M100s or LCD-2s, the highs can make the Q701s seem very aggressive.
    Mids
     If you like mids, you will love the Q701s.  Vocals are intimate, textured and clear.  Female vocals are beautiful, smooth and engaging while male vocals have forced and engagement.  The Q701s are by no means at the level of my LCD-2s but I don't feel I'm losing a lot by switching from the latter.  Even tracks like 'Where the Hood At' have an excellent sense of engagement, and string music will make you shed a tear or two.  Mids are, by far, the best part of the spectrum with the AKG Q701s.
    Bass
     This may sound eerily familiar from other reviews, but the Q701s have very weak bass.  It is, however, capable of producing insanely fast bass for death metal tracks ("Failure in the Flesh" by Through the Eyes of the Dead, "Ora Pro Nobis Lucifer" by Behemoth) and tight, punchy bass for jazz (Good Bait by Coltrane) and blues ("Played Twice").
    Soundstaging, Transparency and Detail
     The Q701s are an excellent pair of headphones for all three.  Be it intimacy for violin and cello duos or vast halls for Gregorian chant, the Q701s handle soundstage well.  I prefer the consistent intimacy of the LCD-2s, but a wide-open soundstage definitely has its place for the music they do especially well.
     Transparency is another excellent trait of these headphones.  While they sound artificial - my LCD-2s do spoil me - there is nothing between you and the music.  Every note feels very crisp and well-articulated.  Detail plays into this transparency as every note is well sculpted in space, almost to the point of making heavy metal hard edged or almost plastic-like to the point of discomfort.  The need for quality recording with these headphones cannot be stressed enough.  Even slightly critical listening will make poorly-recorded music an exercise in masochism.
    Conclusion
     The Q701s are cold, detailed, energetic and sometimes sibilant.  Comfort is okay, but you get a lot for your money.  If you love classical music, jazz and female vocals and have some SACDs or a sizable FLAC library you'll love 'em.  If you have a more varied library, you'd do well to have a fun, bassy headphone (say, the V-Moda M100s) to pair with the Q701s.  Either that, or keep the Q701s as a bit of extra flavor with a lusher pair when you're feeling more critical or really want to hear John Coltrane sweating in 'A Love Supreme'.

5. tonyjoy
    Surely not the best in class
    Written by tonyjoy
    Published Jun 14, 2015
    2.5/5,
    Pros - Decent sounding
    Cons - Big ear cups, uneven headband tension, uncomfortable for long term wearing.
    I've given these at least two dozen chances as few of my colleagues swear by it. However, I find them highly uncomfortable to wear. I am a small person and these headphones for one, feel huge on my head. I find it hard to position them just right to get the imaging right every single time. The headphones sit on my ears and not rest on my head which causes discomfort/ on my earlobes after a few minutes.
    This one is far from being my favorite headphone, unfortunately.
    1. mrmoto050
      So I guess these are not for people with small heads. Seeing as you said nothing about the sound signature except decent sounding. You probably couldn't get a good seal. Also you didn't mention your source. These are only 75 ohm but require a good amount of power to drive.
      mrmoto050, Jun 14, 2015
    2. peter123
      @mrmoto050 I've got a very small head and I've got no problems with the Q's, YMMV :)
      peter123, Jun 15, 2015
    3. Army-Firedawg
      Deleted my previous comment for I said it's not much a review as apposed to a quick summary over a main point you feel. But after reading your other reviews you really just sum products up so that's just your writing style. Interesting description of your EL-8 though
      Army-Firedawg, Sep 6, 2015
  6. eimis
    What is this, just get them right now. (A truly impressive performer)
    Written by eimis
    Published May 10, 2015
    Pros - Sound, comfort and price(!)
    Cons - Some headband parts are fragile, upper mids are sometimes too loud and takes a while to adjust for the best sound.

200 bucks?!

In short, these are the strongest performers I've heard and they made me sell my HD650 very quickly. I did enjoy the HD650s with some recordings, mainly vocal music, but they were lacking some breath, air and energy to me, while Q701 delivers all that and more. HD650 were like visiting your grandma -- fuzzy, warm and cozy, and Q701 is a lively party -- everything is lively, accurate and no detail is ever left out. They have a very nice impact. Every drum hit is very satisfying. Oh and the soundstage...why repeat ourselves; it's been said enough times already and I guess it's so good because of the angled ear pads. Also they don't choke no matter how intense your music is. That is, they are really fast sounding; fast rock music on Beyerdynamic DT250/HD650 sounds a bit dull and details/instruments get lost in a mess. Q701 presents every part of the music for you to focus on. And they sound so lively and clear. Choir and classical sounds truly impressive. The upper mids are sometimes a bit too loud with modern hotly mastered music. Though that never gets in the way with proper recordings, ever. Be gentle with them though. Those clear plastic parts in the headband tend to break easily. If that happens, cups won't be sliding as smoothly when adjusting and may start creaking. So yeah, don't sit on them.

Bass port mod

Mind you, all my impressions are after doing the bass port mod. I don't remember how they sound stock. Some say it's the same, just without the sub-bass. Yeah, sub-bass -- it goes very low and is another star of the show, fellas. Tightest and most accurate bass I've heard. HD650 bass was anemic compared to these. I never use EQ. The pair I have was made in Austria.

Cup placement!

If these headphones would automatically adjust to their best acoustic position around your ears -- they would be perfect and their fragility could be forgiven. I used to push the cups towards my face, until they touched my helix. This placement is far from ideal, as I later discovered. For me it's best to start from placing them all the way towards the back of my head, until I feel the cups touch my tragus. And then push them just a bit towards my face, until the cymbals sound right and my ears end up somewhere in the middle of the cups. After that is achieved, I'm presented with the best sound. Otherwise they sound quite wrong.
    HHNOeWZ.gif

Highly recommended

If anyone asked to recommend a desktop set-up, this would be it: ODAC->O2 Amp->Q701[+ bass port mod]
    If they don't need isolation, this setup could easily be the most they would ever need, and for a great value.
    I rather like this one, while I myself have the generic ODAC + a DIY O2.
    LqepORX.jpg hRLRPo0.jpg

So

If you're feeling adventurous, try these headphones. No, I mean try them. Screw that, just get them now. I could keep adding impressions. But that's really starting to get in the way of listening to them right now. There's really nothing to lose, they're $200 on Amazon, which is crazy.
    1. mdewire
      I have had mine for a few years and kind of shelved them away since I was not that impressed with the overall sound until I decided to try them with my newly acquired Schiit Lyr 2. This amp really opened up the sound and at this point they sound better than my Audeze LCD X in my opinion. I have a pair of Mr Speakers Ether's on the way and it will be interesting to compare the sound of the Q 701s to them.
      mdewire, Jul 31, 2015
  7. Nec3
    One of the Best Budget Audiophile Headphones
    Written by Nec3
    Published Oct 30, 2014
    Pros - Enormous Soundstage, Solid Bass Impact, Accentuated Mids, Textured Treble, Durable, Velour Earpads, Big Earcups
    Cons - Weak Center Imaging, Lean Bass, Unnatural mids for some songs, Painful Headband, Big Earcups, Picky with Sources

_BBD1686.jpg
    TL;DR Review of the AKG Q701’s

Accentuated Mids: Enhances most female vocals, also forwards vocals, “livens” synthesizers in electronic music. Can cause vocals to sound uneven due to the 2khz bump.
    Grainy/Textured Treble: Gives texture and dynamics to ride cymbals and high hats, may force treble into songs that suffer with treble. i.e. Metal genres. Not to be confused with “sparkly treble”.
    Lean/Solid Bass: Bass is solid and fast, impact hits hard but rumble is lean, benefits in most techno, jazz, and classical/orchestra music. Quality of bass leaves the listener wanting more.
    Soundstage: Large soundstage that has a 3D Surround better than 5.1 gaming headsets. Suffers from center imaging that relates to “in-your-head” feeling, however it has a prominent forward stage. Soundstage similar to standing in the back 24’x18’ room, 5' away from the wall.
    Comfort: Bumps in the headphone gets uncomfortable overtime, earcup placement is crucial in relative to sound perceived. I.e. earcups placed too far backward can cause mids to sound muffled. Velour earpads and ~270 gram weight allows comfort over long periods of time.
    Build Quality: Dropped over 5 times at height of 5’ (unintentional), still working. Plastic used for earcups allow scratches to not be visible. After 3-4 years of constant usage, earcup swivel may develop friction and creak.
    “Sound Signature”: Somewhat reliant on the source, however most of the time the Q701's sounds dry due to the fast decay of notes. Especially sounds analytic when compared with other headphones, soundstage gives a dynamic feel to songs, but it suffers from center imaging in regards to intimacy.
    Amplification: Requires more current than voltage to power them right in my opinion. Performance on Q701’s rely more on the quality of source rather than how much power it can output.

Conclusion: The AKG Q701’s are bright sounding headphones at first without proper amplification and brain burn in.
    If you don’t need isolation for gaming, throw away your gaming headsets and get AKG Q701’s. If you’re looking to get serious with your music, like detail retrieval and don’t mind spending an amplifier/dac combo that costs the same as the AKG Q701’s; get yourself a pair. If you want boomy bass, if you want isolation, if you want a smooth experience; look somewhere else, the AKG Q701’s aren’t for you. The Q701’s can be found for cheap now and definitely worth it.

Day in the Life with AKG Q701’s

Introduction

I got to visit a studio today and it was nothing short of audiophoolishness delight. Upon entering the studio I was greeted with just two tower speakers made by Strauss (Strauss-SE-MF-2). These gave off a very life-like impression in sound and I was quite blown away by how close they sounded to actual instruments.  The only issue I have with the speakers is that I had to be at a certain position in the room for everything to sound just right in regards to soundstage and for the treble to not sound muffled. I guess you could say this is similar to how the Q701’s need to be centered for them to sound right.

Alongside listening to the studio, I got to listen to my friends’ band play in a rehearsal room a while ago, a concert hall, and a venue all with the same song. Though none of you know the song, I used this song as a benchmark for all my tests with the Q701’s.
    Cataclysm by Motivated by Foolishness
    Songs found above.

The Q701’s I have are third hand, pre-burnt in, Austrian made, and so far have about 3000 hours on their mileage, not including the hours used by the previous owners. My review is solely opinion based and I’m not too hard focused on specifications (except for the measurements), and please do take the titles of the review into consideration. As there may be misconceptions of my review if they are ignored. I will assume you already have done research about the Q701’s from other reviews, I’m just providing more insight.

Q701's vs Real Life Instruments

After an entire day of listening to just instruments. I came to the conclusion that the Q701's:
    • Sound a bit dry, instruments seem to not linger around very much (not regarding reverb though)
    • Lack a bit of center imaging
    • Tom toms don't have enough attack
    • Treble is a bit grainy, and needs some more sparkle. However the Q701's have the high hat texture not many headphones have.
    • There needs to be a bit more upper mids/lower treble flatness, electric guitars though have the detail and crescendo-like sound, they don't have the smoothness needed during reproduction. This upper mid is what makes pianos and violins sound more solid, the Q701's lack the solidity of piano notes.

Needless to say I believe headphones exaggerate sound overall, the only way that reproduction can be saved here are through binaural recordings. In which replicate sound much better in comparison to regular stereo recordings. Unfortunately, most songs that I know of aren’t tuned and mastered for headphones, rather for speakers instead. If I had to mention soundstage, I’d have to say the Q701’s are spot on for an acoustically tuned 24 feet by 18 feet room with musicians playing in it. Nevertheless, soundstage does indeed require a good sound signature to illustrate the distance of instruments. So the only nitpicks or comments I have about that is the flaws I mentioned at the beginning of this paragraph in regards to soundstage.

Q701’s vs Strauss-SE-MF-2 Studio Monitors

The problem I actually have with listening to reference tuned studio monitors is that they sound a bit bland with my songs. Mids don't stand out enough and bass is a bit too much for my taste.…

The Q701’s lean bass allows more detail for the rest of the spectrum, from strings getting plucked to the fingers sliding along the neck of a guitar. As you’ve noticed, I do indeed enjoy a certain part of headphones even BETTER than live performances or studio monitors; and that’s a sense of intimacy. Though these headphones don’t have the accurate reproduction of studio monitors, or the ‘in-your-head’ feeling with other headphones, I can get quite enough of intimacy through the Q701’s. I believe that intimacy can be achieved through:

A) As if you were in the room with the band members
    B) Having the band members being shoved into your brain.
    So it’s fairly obvious which one the Q701’s strive for. (B)

Q701's vs Other Headphones in Brief.

So why do I still have the Q701's?
    Why don't I have DT990's? In which they clearly have more bass oomph and a higher treble spike?
    Why don't I have HE-400's? That have a flatter sound signature, extremely solid sub bass, and smoother treble that allows me to turn up music higher?
    Why don't I have HD800's?

Sennheiser HD800

Well first off, I don’t have the funds for HD800's, if I had the money I'd sell my Q's and own the HD800's. I've auditioned them before and fell in love with them.

Hifiman HE400

HE-400's yes, are nice, but I prefer the near weightlessness of Q701's. The issue I had in regards to comfort with the AKG Q701’s are indeed the headphone placement and headband. They have to be placed somewhere near center of my head so that sound is directed into my ears and that I get full advantage of the spectrum. As for the headband, I cut off the bumps and replaced it with 0.3mm of foam. The bumps molded into my scalp and eventually I got fairly uncomfortable when I had less hair on my head after a haircut.

Also,  the HE 400 don't offer a big enough soundstage for me. If you’ve heard of ASMR, the enormous soundstage heightens the effectiveness of ASMR videos. Also due to the enormous soundstage of the Q701’s, instruments feel as if they’re just being suspended mid-air, ready to be picked and listened to individually.

Beyerdynamic DT990 250 ohm

DT990’s (250ohm) slightly emphasize bass and higher treble spike, although I didn’t feel the same excitement of music when the mids weren’t quite there. However the DT990’s actually have a bit more detail.

Other Headphone Recommendation that Compliment the Q701

Audio Technica ATH-A900X

My favourite “fun” headphone would be the A900X. When I switch back to the Q701 after 3 hours with the A900X, the Q701’s sound life-less and I need at least 15 minutes for my ears to burn back to the Q701’s. In which I listen to Flamenco Rumba or a song that takes advantage of soundstage to get myself accustomed to again.

Etymotic Research ER4S (Tri-Flange IEM)

If you have the Q701’s, I recommend the ER4S. They have similar sound signatures and the extreme isolation of the ER4S compliments the Q701’s open back nature. Of course both headphones have comfort issues, but if you already have the ER4S or Q701’s, we can already assume you’re a masochist.

Sennheiser HD598

Bass

HD598:
    1. I found the bass quantity increases with stronger amplifiers, regular amplification makes the HD598 sound flat
    2. HD598 with regular amping (i.e. JDS Labs ODAC/O2) still have more mid-bass than the Q701's, but not by much
    3. Q701's have more sub-bass

Q701:
    1. I found the Q701's to have more bass texture, but sometimes can be found lean compared to the HD598
    2. Sub-bass is also dry on the Q701's, so bass will often roll off faster without giving satisfaction of proper "oomph"
    3. After some brain burn in, I found the Q701's to have slightly more solid and faster bass than the HD598's.

Mids

HD598:
    1. Mids are flat and I found all vocals to work well with the HD598's.
    2. Mids have more weight, smooth and grounded to the floor, however the HD598 can be airy when called for
    3. Vocals can sometimes be a bit boring since they're flat.

Q701:
    1. Mids are more intimate and exciting than the HD598's due to the peak in the 2khz area and brighter treble
    2. Mids are light and airy, giving vocals a magical presence
    3. Mids can sometimes be too much especially in fortissimo sections of a vocal solo
    4. Vocals can sometimes be sibilant. With well mastered recordings there is no sibilance. Vocalists such as Susan Wong who emphasize the letter S a lot introduce a lot of sibilance.

Highs

HD598:
    1. HD598's have a more extended treble peak on the spectrum, therefore giving the HD598's a more subtle sparkle
    2. However the highs on the HD598 are smoothed out and not as exciting as the Q701's

Q701:
    1. Treble has a flat peak and gives high hats more texture, however lacks the sparkly shimmer sometimes.
    2. Treble is more emphasized than the HD598's
    3. Lower treble has a steeper dip that makes the Q701's sound more clean and black, but hides instruments that need it (explained later)

Soundstage

HD598:
    1. Left and Right channels have slightly more depth and have good center imaging, but front and back soundstage is less apparent. This can be visually seen by the design of the headphones
    2. The HD598 sounds more solid and grounded.

Q701:
    1. Have a better frontal soundstage with less center imaging, has a harder left and right sound panning due to the lack of center imaging.
    2. Left and Right channels extend out into airiness, compared to the solid left and right depth of the HD598's.
    3. Soundstage is larger in regards to front-to-behind depth
    4. Q701's sound light and airy.

Gaming, Isolation, and Comfort

HD598:
    1. Less clamp, Less clamp = more pressure on the top of my head.
    2. Deeper cups, my ears don't touch anything inside the headphone at all
    3. Soundstage is much better presented in Source Engine games (Counterstrike/TF2) that have less audio effects due to the forwarded drivers.
    4. Fully open, all sounds go in, all sounds go out.

Q701:
    1. Headband bumps are a nightmare, after these are sliced off/modded. Q701's have better weight distribution.
    2. Shallower cups, ears poke the inside foam but cause no discomfort to me.
    3. Wider earcups mean I have to center the drivers to get the best sound quality.
    4. Soundstage is much better presented in games with audio effects such as Frostbite Engine games (Battlefield/Mirror's Edge).
    5. Fully open/semi-ish closed, most sounds go out, most sounds come in. External treble frequencies muffled more than the HD598's.

Microdetails, Amplification and Burn-In

HD598:
    1. HD598 has a tad less microdetails, however due to the flatter response and less dips/peaks; multiple instruments are easier to pick up in busy tracks/compressed music.
    2. More powerful amplifiers seem to increase the bass more on the HD598's. However for these to sound more flat than the Q701's, I like to use the JDS Labs ODAC/O2 that are already tuned to be neutral.
    3. HD598's are nevertheless an easy headphone to drive
    4. I found the sound to be very open and enjoyable after 30-40 hours of brain and driver burn in.

Q701:
    1. Have better microdetails but it's hardly noticeable, however due to the better mids in the Q701's; microdetails are more evident in tracks that have good mastering.
    2. Benefit from a better DAC, however requires an amplifier to extract the details from the DAC.
    3. Louder volumes without an amplifier will cause the Q701's to distort earlier than if it was amplified.
    4. Noisy amps pair well with the Q701's, as these pick up noise from amplifiers a lot less compared to the HD598.
    5. Unfortunately I can't comment on burn in, but my friend enjoyed his Q701's about an entire week of burn in.
    6. The Q701's are all about finding the right source and music to sound magical with, I absolutely love using the Q701's with tube amplifiers that colour sound.

Genres, Instruments and Presentation

HD598:
    1. Does better with classical/orchestra music in which cellos are more emphasized
    2. American punk rock/metal/screamo is suited better for the HD598's since these are less active in treble and can be turned louder without fatigue
    3. Hip hop and rap is better due to more bass (via tube amplifier)
    4. Violins and Pianos are smoother and more enjoyable/presented since there is a flatter lower treble compared to the Q701's.
    5. Male vocals sound better
    6. American Female Pop artists with lower octave registers sound more intimate and smooth
    7. More forgiving than the Q701's, making a larger variety of songs enjoyable in comparison.
    8. In regards to Techno: dubstep, hardstyle, europop and bass dependent songs are better.
    9. A flat/warm-ish sounding headphone and sometimes unengaging
    10. Can be airy as the Q701's when called for, but just not as much
    11. The Sennheiser veil is not as present in this headphone compared to the HD600. I think the veil what people are talking about is the lack of a large treble spike with a mix of a warm/bassy presentation the sennheisers have.

1. Acoustic Guitars/Flamenco Rumba are much more detailed and fun to listen to
    2. Jazz is presented much better
    3. Poprock is more active and engaging
    4. Classic rock from the 80's sound brighter and lively due to the large soundstage
    5. Female vocals in higher octaves sound better, sweeter and more active.
    6. In regards to Techno: Trance/Nu Disco/EDM involving a lot of synthesizers sound clearer and faster.
    7. An active/airy-ish headphone and sometimes fatiguing
    8. A brighter headphone would be something like the AD900X, in which treble is much more sparkly, airy and a lot less focused on bass.

Durability and Accessories

HD598:
    1. Feels like cheap plastic, but extremely durable nonetheless.
    2. Cable is a 6.5mm jack, but comes with a 6.5mm to 3.5mm adapter. Looks awkward on my amp but I'm not too picky about it.
    3. Velours are bound to get dirty.

Q701:
    1. Thicker plastic and solid, but also extremely durable. Metal headband rods saved the headphones from landing earcups first
    2. Green cable is bound to get dirty.
    3. Velours are bound to get dirty.

Sidenote: My headphones that were marketed to be durable broke first compared to these two headphones that have absolutely no issue in durability.

Overall Impressions

Both are good and allow me to enjoy my entire playlist of music. Though I prefer the AKG Q701's since I have more female vocals, I prefer the HD598's equally due to it's flat nature that allow me to enjoy  a variety of genres. I'm getting the Shozy Alien that apparently has more detail than any of my sources so I'll update this post accordingly in regards to how the headphones scale up to them, images coming soon!. When I need to have music or noise in the background, I grab the HD598's since they're a bit more laid back sounding. If I need to get in the zone and active/listen to my daily ASMR, I grab the Q701's.

Powering the Q701’s

I’m just going to flat out say, there’s a certain point in which the Q701’s don’t need any more amping. I believe, similar to the music played through these headphones, the Q701’s are picky with its sources and need a good match for them to sound good and taken to full advantage. Heck, if my initial purchase of a mid-fi headphone was an HD650 instead of the Q701’s, I’d probably have about 500 songs in my entire music collection, rather than a tailored 180 songs for the Q701. Although I have no regret, I’m enjoying my 180 songs 6 hours a day, for the past 2 years. Like any headphone, each one has their own pair of songs that just simply sing. I can't emphasize how nice Jazz sounds with the Q701's.

FiiO E07K

The nature of FiiO products so far is that their soundstage is a bit narrow compared to desktop DAC’s like the JDSLabs ODAC.
    The FiiO X3 sounds a bit better than the E07K in terms of clarity and bass solidity (Firmware 3.2).

FiiO E12

The FiiO E12 cleans up the sound of the X3 or E07K. It smoothens the treble, enriches the mids and the bass is a bit more solid.

Odd Devices

Regular devices such as an iPad, Supreme FX III (Asus Crosshair Formula-Z Motherboard/Onboard), Xonar DGX and Sony Walkman E474 (which the Sony could BARELY drive the Q701’s to audible levels) make the Q701’s sound “average”. I would have sold the Q701’s and stuck to my A900X if it weren’t for source upgrade.

JDS Labs ODac+O2

The jump from the E07K to the ODAC/O2 by JDS Labs however was the game changer, and which I started loving the Q701’s. Warmth covered the harsh treble of the Q701’s, and bass was there! Mids sounded more intimate, and treble had more texture to it.  Bass wasn’t emphasized too much but it hit hard and it was THERE!

Dared MP5 Vintage Tube Amplifier

Now I’m powering the Q701’s with a vintage tube amplifier, the Dared MP5. To be honest the sound didn’t improve very much, if anything it was a change in sound signature. I believe all that changed was that treble is a tad bit more revealing, and a slight hint of natural distortion in the treble peaks exist so that treble is more forgiving. Mids are sweeter, the bass became increased a bit in quantity for enjoyment purposes. The Dared MP5 has some background noise/hiss, but for some reason, these don’t pick up the noise as much as my other headphones even though the Q’s are detail monsters… This is quite a contradictive sentence, but if you have a noisy amp, you’d be glad to pick up the Q’s.

Side Notes

This could simply be an exaggeration, but if I listened to a headphone long enough, my brain starts burning in to that sound signature. Then once after listening to a new source after a period of time, the difference is evident. The opinions of this new change of source is also biased with emotional opinions. These emotional opinions sometimes get mixed in with facts. When I switched between devices too quickly, my brain doesn’t have enough time to adjust to the new source. So as a result I believe that what I’m hearing with the improved source sounds the same to downgraded source. That’s how minor the improvements are with the Q701’s. However this proves that the Q701’s are sensitive to change in sources.

Gaming with the Q701’s

After the upgrade to the ODAC/O2, soundstage felt 3-Dimensional and I could hear the distance of bullets whizzing by in Battlefield 3. If a bullet whizzed across my face 2 meters in front of me, I can tell, if bullets hit behind my feet, I can tell. Out of all the $300+ gaming headphones I’ve tried (Astro A40’s, Razer Tiamat/Kraken/Blackshark/Carcharias)… there’s nothing more immersive than a product just meant for audio like the AKG Q701’s. Headsets are just utility knives, packing devices like a microphone, batteries; they're basically a jack of all trades and a master of none.

In regards to games made by Valve, you’re in for a treat. Games like Counterstrike Global Offensive, Team Fortress 2, Half-Life series all benefit from the AKG’s. Valve already implemented an “around your head” soundstage that’s immersive for regular headphones/headsets. The additional soundstage from the Q701’s are beneficial for sound depth. The only issue with Valve’s audio is that they didn’t implement a very good algorithm for sounds in front and sounds behind. In which the Q701’s falter because it doesn’t have a solid central soundstage. Other headphones I have such as the A900X do better with Valve’s front and rear soundstage due to the angled drivers.

Q701’s Modded vs Unmodded

This mod is known as the AKG Sticker Mod. The sticker mod is literally a sticker inside the earcups that can be removed to increase sub-bass. All you need is tweezers to stick into the "Q" grill of the earcups, rotate it counter clockwise, unscrew two screws to carefully remove the plate that requires some force to peel off, and finally use the same tweezers to gently peel off the sticker that covers the bass port.

When I did the frequency response sweeps on the Q701’s, it was fairly evident the sub bass came first a lot earlier than the earcup that had the sticker still on. There’s definitely a tad looser bass with the sticker off however, although what you get is sub-bass, and a bit more bass to boot. The downside of the sticker off is less mids, and less airiness in soundstage due to the increase in bass.
    The good part of the mod is that everything sounds neutral one might even consider it as an improvement, not an improvement for me; but a possible improvement nevertheless.
    Mids are flat, bass is more full bodied, treble is not as grainy and has sparkle to it. Similar to the Etymotic Research Er4s frequency response, except the ER4S sounds more lively with this response than the modded Q701's.

Note: This is a raw measurement of the AKG Q701, usually there would be a compensation chart to simulate sound perceived in the room, but I don't have that unfortunately. That's why the treble seems over-emphasized here.
    q701comparisons.jpg

The stickers off also increase the higher treble area. I don’t notice this at all since the bass balances this out. Also, the graph looks weird, I apologize if this isn't an exact interpretation of the AKG Q701's, because the mids and bass through my ears sound like they're balanced with the treble.

I tried the bass mod but the slight reduction in soundstage (in regards to circumference, not depth) somewhat turned me around back to stock.
    I prefer my stickers on, I’m a purist and prefer to use the product as is.

Alpha Design Labs iHP-35 Cable

The cables indeed do sound similar. The signature of the Q701's are still there; but it just sounds a bit smoother now like my Sennheiser HD598's treble.
    I had a hard time justifying a very expensive 1.5m cable. The guy at HeadfoneShop kept telling me for an entire year, "Hey, it's up to you if you want to buy it man, you just have to believe me there's a difference". As he continued to play World of Warcraft on his laptop.

I took up his offer a year later and finally bought it.
    Was there a difference? Thankfully yes, I was ready to return these. All my doubts lead to no until I finally got a chance to listen to the overpriced cable.

The cables made my Q701's lean a bit towards the smoother side.
    There's a bit more treble grainyness on the green stock cables compared to the ADL cable that sound oh so great with guitars that I miss.
    The cables are less sensitive to my amp's hiss but more sensitive to detail somehow.
    I would also like to re-iterate that these cables introduce a bit more sibilance.
    Realistic.jpg

Your Mileage May Vary (YMMV)

My audio preferences? Big soundstage, solid bass, forwarded and sweet mids, and treble that could attack fast in electronic music and provide texture for high hats in which the Q701’s definitely provide. The Q701's are not headphones for everyone, since these headphones are only $150-$220 on the market, we can assume that one hasn't gone into the higher end market that already has a headphone tailored for their music preferences. Or an even better headphone that presents music better for a wider range of genres. A place that is not in reach for the near future.

The Q701’s are indeed a hit or miss, and for me they were definitely a pinpoint shot. I believe that one needs brain burn-in equally to driver burn in of the Q701’s for these to be enjoyed. I certainly don’t think these are headphones meant to be enjoyed out of the box.

Thanks to BlueMonkeyFlyer for the In-Ear Microphone!
      7keys, rikk009 and A8ADY like this.
    1. View previous replies...
    2. Nec3
      @Brault It took me about 3 months to decide that I'm cutting off the headband bumps, totally worth it though.

@kman1211 Really!? I saw the K712 has some elevated bass compared to the Q701's, they're more revealing and have a center image?
      That sounds like an upgrade from the Q701's to me!

I don't really write reviews for headphones though unless if I feel really passionate to write about something I really like. This is my first review, so any constructive feedback is appreciated!

Nec3, Oct 31, 2014
    3. kman1211
      That's my impressions, it's a subtle improvement to the Q701 in refinement, but I thought it sounded slightly more refined, had stronger dynamics, and clearer. I guess it's like the HD 600 vs HD 650 in terms of refinement, close enough where some people don't notice the refinement difference. They are a bit warmer, wetter, and have a bit more depth. They do have a center image, the center staging always bothered me on the Q701 even after not listening to the K712 for about a week. I had the K712 before trying Q701 and I felt it was a slight step down when I compared my K712 when I borrowed my friends Q701. When I heard the Q701 at times they had enough bass, other times it felt it just wasn't enough. The K712 is pretty much where I want headphones bass wise. They could do with a bit more sub-bass but the rest of the bass is where I want it. It also has a bit more upper treble but less energy in the 2khz region, this leads to a different treble presentation. A lot of the sound changes is caused by the pads but not all.
      kman1211, Oct 31, 2014
    4. Chris J
      Thank you for the frequency response comparison between no bass mod and with bass mod!
      Cheers!
      Chris J, Nov 1, 2014
  8. tdockweiler
    Sounds good
    Written by tdockweiler
    Published Sep 25, 2013
    Pros - Nearly everything, CHEAP!, Build Quality
    Cons - Slightly lacking very low bass. Don't really care.
    Mids are nice and full sounding. Not thin or lean at all. If they are it's due to a poor amp match or supposed to be that way in the recording (yeah really). I've even gotten good results with an O2, E9 and Micro Amp. Not much else yet. They sound natural to me. To me this headphone really excels with female vocals. They're very slightly forward sounding. I would say the low mids are more neutral. They're not as forward as those of the Anniversary and I like that. With some recordings the Q701 can sound nearly as warm and full sounding as my HD-650 (try Buena Vista Social Club). You can also have the Q701 change into an AD700 with some tinny/harsh recordings.

Treble is not harsh unless it's due to a poor recording. Even then it's no real problem. This headphone won't make harsh/very bright recordings any easier on the ears. For that you can try the HD-598 or HD-650 to sort of take the edge off. I actually think the treble sounds neutral despite what some say. It seems smoother than what I heard on the K702.

Bass is fine and there seems to be no large mid-bass hump. Not much bass impact and there is a slight lack of low bass presence (without mod). For this reason I sometimes use my HD-650 or DJ100 for gaming/movies.

I don't find them crystal clear sounding, extremely detailed or super revealing. Sometimes they're even a little forgiving of some lower quality tracks. Just slightly. Even Youtube music and Itunes/Amazon samples sound fine (this varies usually).

I find them neutral sound with no major emphasis in any area. I actually find them more neutral than the HD-600. HD-600 has more mid-bass and this has some extra treble. What's the difference?

Soundstage is what I would call pretty good but not great. It's smaller than the K702 but I actually think this is a good thing. It's not massive, super airy and nothing ever sounds too distant. Imaging is fine and there is no lack of center image for me.

This thing is pretty tough to drive. I hate it with portable players. All of them. It gets good enough volume but then it sounds like poop. I can use my HD-650 from my TV headphone jack and get good results (for short periods of time)..with this I need like 90% volume and its not worth even bothering with. Some may disagree but I could hate this with the wrong setup. It seems to sound OK from my E17 but it's just not the same as my main setup. Best setup i've heard it with is what I'm using now (well duh). O2 is 2nd best. I actually liked it with the E9 a lot and the 10ohm output impedance doesn't change the sound in any way.

NOTE: This is basically my impressions after 2-3 years of use and NOT the modded version. Don't forget, that version is about 25% better than the HD-800 [​IMG]
    My impressions of this has not changed since day one. It's my 2nd favorite headphone of all time and I'm never getting rid of it. Not even if you gave me a T1!

BTW I'd love a closed headphone that was a clone of this or close. It's NOT the K550! You may need to reduce the soundstage and treble a little but the mids may gain some fullness.
    1. brybry24
      So do you recommend to do the bass mod (removing the plastic tape)? I know that I will gain more bass but what will I lose in exchange (soundstage, detail etc.)?
      brybry24, Mar 1, 2014
  9. GL1TCH3D
    Goods headphones for home use
    Written by GL1TCH3D
    Published Sep 24, 2013
    Pros - Good soundstage, clarity, removable cable
    Cons - Sterile sound, costly in various countries, bumps on headband
    I owned these for a couple months before upgrading to the HD800.
    While using them, I used them with the ODAC+O2 combo as well as the Fiio e17.

There's no doubt these are supposed to be headphones for home use. They're very open, leak sound and are just generally very large.

From reviews, these are really supposed to be the stepping stone to the hd800 since they're meant to be very accurate like the HD800. I can agree with that statement.

Design:
    The bumps on the headband are just plain stupid. Otherwise they're designed well, they fit well on my slightly large head.

Comfort:
    I have a tender spot on the top of my head that loses circulation if something presses down. When I lose circulation I start having a painful feeling. The bumps on the headband are no exception. They cause that spot on my head to lose circulation. I fixed this by wrapping kleenex around the headband but judging from the k712 having a flat headband and the previous models having a flat headband, the 701 series having bumped headbands is just plain stupid and as far as I know, serves no purpose.

Very sterile sound. For me this is a negative.
    Sounds flat but with the bass improvement from the k701 to q701, has a fuller sound than the k701. Please note, fuller than k701 doesn't mean it has a full sound.

Bass: weak but present. It's not a smooth and liquid bass, it feels forced. Not punchy

Mids: don't sound natural. Vocals lack emotion. Overall the mids aren't punchy.

Treble: Can be a bit harsh but is revealing and defined. Treble extension is quite good at least.

Soundstage: For a pair in this price range, the soundstage is very good. Very wide and has decent depth.

Seperation: top notch seperation. Each instrument / note is clearly defined.

Overall summary:
    A good pair of headphones if you're looking for something very detailed and accurate but lacks emotion and liquidity.
    The HD800 was definitely a big upgrade over the q701 but of course is 4x the price.
  10. Brooko
    Expansive yet engaging - AKG Q701
    Written by Brooko
    Published Jul 23, 2013
    Pros - Well balanced, open, clear, expansive sounding, stylish and well built. Fast and reasonably well detailed. Great value for money (street value)
    Cons - Headband comfort (bumps), lacks some bass impact (slight), imaging can be a little too left/right (lacks some center image clarity)
    q701-8.jpg    q701-9.jpg

From AKG's website - they describe the Q701 as:

Let's see if they match the 'marketing' .......

Pre-amble (about me)
    I'm a 46 year old music lover.  I don't say audiophile - just love my music.  Over the last couple of years, I have slowly changed from cheaper listening set-ups to my current entry/mid-fi set-up.  I vary my listening from portable (i-devices) to my desk-top's set-up (PC > coax > NFB-12 > LD MKIV > HP).  My main headphones at the time of writing are the Shure SRH1840, AKG Q701, AKG K701, Beyer DT880 (600 ohm), Shure SRH840 and Shure SE535 Ltd Ed. IEMs.  My recent headphones have also included the Sennheiser HD600 and Grado SR325i (full woody). I have auditioned quite a few entry and mid-tier cans, but have yet to hear any flagships (at current time of writing this review).  I have very eclectic music tastes listening to a variety from classical and opera to grunge and hard-rock.   I listen to a lot of blues, jazz, folk music, classic rock, and alternative rock.  I am particularly fond of female vocals.  I tend toward cans that are relatively neutral/balanced - with a slight emphasis on the mid-range.  I am neither a bass or treble head.  Current amps = NFB12 and LD MKIV.  I also formerly owned several portable amps - the most notable being an Arrow 4G.

Disclaimer
    This is a purely subjective review - my gear, my ears, my experience.  Please take it all with a grain of salt - especially if it does not match your own experience.

q701-4.jpg    q701-1.jpg

Packaging & Accessories
    I purchased these (in immaculate condition I might add) from another Head-fi member.  They did not come with the box - but did arrive with both cable lengths (3m and 6m) and a screw on 3.5-6.3mm adaptor.

Technical Specifications

7. Weight 235 g

Frequency Response Graph
    Courtesy & credit to Innerfidelity

q701freq.jpg
    Main points are relatively balanced and flat response with some slight sub bass roll-off.  They definitely have some peaks around the upper mids and highs - and tend to be quite a bright presentation.

Build / Comfort / Isolation / 'Style'
    I've always found the AKG build to be very satisfactory.  Mine is pretty snug on my head and although a lot of it is plastic - it's always felt solid to me.  The headband assembly seems almost indestructible - although (apparently) the elastic tension bands do become looser over time.  My K701 is definitely looser (it's older).  The cable is sturdy and the mini-XLR connector is both handy and appears well built.

Comfort is interesting with the Q701 for me.  The pads are huge, and successfully encircle my ears.  The self adjusting headband provides a perfect fit.  They are not overly heavy - pretty light actually (235g).  Their problem is the bumps on the headband.  They are reasonably rigid and after time - the pressure can get to me.  It was worse with the K701 (7 bumps) as the central one would press directly on the apex of my head.  The Q701 is slightly better (8 bumps) so the top of my head is between 2.  But it still is not a comfortably design.  If it wasn't for the fact that I will sell these eventually I would have performed the same surgery I did on my K701 (knifed off the bumps, added flat padding, and hot-glued a soft lambs leather cover to the underside).  My K701 is supremely comfortable after the mod.

q701-5.jpg    q701-6.jpg

Isolation - there is none.  it's an open phone.

"Style" - I love these.  The AKG style to me is timeless.  They really are an attractive headphone in my opinion (especially in black).  They really do look like a reference studio phone.  I'm glad AKG hasn't changed the overall aesthetics.  If I have one nit-pick, I'm not overly smitten with the neon green cable.  It sure stands out though!

Sound Quality
    I'm not going to give this too long - just my subjective notes.  All of this is via my PC > NFB-12 > LD MKIV (upgraded tubes 6H30PI Gold & Mullard M8100)

Detail - the Q701 are definitely slightly tilted toward the upper mids and highs - which gives them a very clear and reasonably detailed presentation.  It's only when I compared to other similar headphones (DT880) that I realised that although the first impression is of extreme clarity - I actually find the Beyers have a little edge in detail retrieval.  The Q701 are good though - a sparkling presentation.

Sound-stage - in one word expansive.  If I used another word it would be massive.  A great deal of air and sense of space.  More than any other headphone I've owned (maybe not the AD700 - but I never compared them side by side).  My one concern is that at times the depth / width of the stage is overdone - and is simply too large.  Funnily enough if I was not comparing to other headphones, I would not notice this - so it is relative.

Imaging - generally good - but does have some issues with some central imaging that is not apparent with other headphones (DT880, HD600 and SRH1840).  With the Q701 I occasionally get quite expansive left and right cues, and a reasonable solid but narrow central image - but with little either side of it (ie 45 deg left and right).  On the same tracks with the SRH1840 and DT880 the entire image is more circular.  I'm not sure if this is directly related to the expansive size of the Q701's entire soundstage.

Highs/Mids - to my ears a definite tilt toward upper mids and highs.  I occasionally experience a little grain in the upper registers but it doesn't detract from the overall presentation.  The mids are slightly forward - which I prefer.  They shine with female vocals.

Bass - it's actually not bad at all on the Q701.  My own personal preference would be for a little more impact - but it's not really noticeable unless you compare (again) to other headphones.  The Q701 by itself actually has very good bass in quality with nice texture and good speed.

Power Requirements
    The Q701 is not a very efficient headphone, and although they are only 62 ohm impedance, they do require some reasonable amping to get the best out of them.  I found this explanation (worth reading) when I was originally researching the K701.  It also applies to the Q701.  The better the amp's ability to deliver - the better the overall bass response should be.  Anyway - don't skimp on amping.  On the plus side - depending on the dynamic range of the recording (classical suffers a little) - a Q701 can get to reasonably loud levels straight out of an iPhone4 at around 60% - and still sounds pretty good.  BUT - it definitely lacks bass impact from the iPhone.  Both the NFB-12 and the LD MKIV (to my ears) are very good with the Q701.

q701-3.jpg    q701-2.jpg

I picked these up from the forums for USD 240 delivered to NZ - so equivalent about USD 200.00 if we were talking USA only.  They didn't have the box - but they did have all the accessories & they were in almost perfect (9.5/10) condition.  Considering the tone and balance - they are an incredible value IMO.  If you are wavering, and enjoy more of a bright, clear, airy presentation - then the Q701 really are a no-brainer.  These are a great mid-fi headphone that punch far above their street value.

Genre Ability
    From the genres I listen to - these really are a great all-rounder.  They excel with stringed instruments - especially acoustic guitar and violin.  I really enjoy their expansiveness with classical, and their detail with jazz.  They have speed for rock and electronic - and for my ears they are very good with both male and female vocals.  The only issue I have with them is that occasionally with some tracks they can sound a little distant - and with any brightly recorded music - they can get peaky.  If you've heard Beth Hart's "Live at Paradiso" - you'll know what I mean.  Overall though - great all-rounder.

Gaming / Movies
    A lot of fun.  Bass is enough for immersion.  Soundstage really helps for accuracy (FPS) and enjoyment.  Recommended.

Conclusion
    For someone looking for an open all-rounder - and whose preferences are for clarity, speed, balance, and an expansive presentation - the Q701 are a very good headphone for the money.  You'll need a reasonable amp to enjoy what they are capable of though.  If you enjoy the bassier side of things - they won't satisfy, and if you're treble sensitive, there will better options (HD600).  In the mid-fi range though - these are one of the big 3 that I would recommend without reservation (Q701/DT880/HD600).

After this review is posted though - these are about to be packaged up and sent to their new owner.  My recently purchased SRH1840 (for me) are simply a step-up.  Smaller stage - but far better separation and imaging.  I will miss the Q701 though - expansive and engaging - nails it in two words really.
      MMB1 likes this.
    1. View previous replies...
    2. Jesse B
      Spot on man. I agree with absolutely everything you say. The headband is both amazing, and freaking horrible at the same time, I'm gonna do what the other guy suggested and wrap some kleenex around it xD

-Had these for a year at this point, wonderful set of cans :)
      Jesse B, Jan 13, 2016
    3. novice
      Hello. I have a similar situation (I have one - and the bumps are killing me as well, and a DT880/600). I feel difference between those two is not significant enough to warrant owning both. I am thinking to sell this thing and get K701 instead (which you own/ed).

Do you think difference in sound signature (between Q and K) is worth the hassle?

Also, I am this close to put the Q under operation table, god I cant stand the bumps. But then I thought if i sell it and get the K i wont have to hack this thing (newer K701 China-made are bumps free).

PS: I listen to classical and opera a lot.
      novice, Oct 13, 2016
    4. Brooko
      Hi - sound sigs are very similar, differences are minor. Q series has a little more bass from memory.  My Mum (she's now 72) still has my K701, she only listens to classical, and she liked them better than both my T1 and HD600.  She played both piano and violin when she was younger - and still has a good ear for what sounds "right" with classical.  Just make sure you ahve a decent high-current amp, and the AKGs really sing.
      Brooko, Oct 14, 2016

Comments

To view comments, simply sign up and become a member!