Xonar Essense stx Random LOUD high pitched Ringing Noise?
Jan 13, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #301 of 400
yes it sounds like that but insanely loud. it happened the first time with chrome now. I was reading some stuff on a website and a friend wrote me a message in steam. I heard the steam sound and a splitsecond later I had to push my headhphones off my head again. Before I had only issues with youtube + firefox. This happens way too often and I'm kinda nonstop nervous because of that and can't really enjoy it anymore. I'm gonna sell my card. It's no small issue I could deal with. It hurts!

Jan 13, 2017 at 8:46 PM Post #302 of 400
That's the same problem ASUSTeK engineers have been attempting to reproduce for years.  The 6 kHz scream, which has all the symptoms of extreme overmodulation (I had to drop the Volume to 1 to get out of clipping when it did occur) is apparently limited to Microsoft® Windows® 6-up, whether with the ASUS® XONAR® Audio Center or the MaxedTech® UNi™ XONAR® Audio Software™.  No similar problem appears in ubuntu® 16.04.1-LTS with the Advanced LinUX Sound Architecture Project snd-virtuoso.

Excepting the ROG® XONAR® Phoenix™ (C-Media® CMI-8888DHT), which uses an entirely different DSP chip, I have to consider the entire XONAR series safe only in a LinUX distro that can run ALSA 1.0.25 or later.  (Don't have an Apple® Macintosh® Pro™ to test the equivalent driver in Mac OS® X™ 10.5 or later.)

Jan 14, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #303 of 400
Isn't it about time ASUS refreshed their Xonar line? It seems like they've been letting the line sit mostly still for years and in general it seems like sound cards haven't been moving forward much.

Jan 15, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #304 of 400
So the ROG Xonar Series has no problems like that? I need a new soundcard because I can't deal with it anymore. I'm no person to overplay things but it's that loud it hurts. Can anyone suggest a new soundcard for me? 

Jan 15, 2017 at 10:11 PM Post #305 of 400
Creative Laboratories® recently revived the Audigy platform in the form of the SB1550 (Creative Technology CA10300-IAT), which packs two microphone inputs to the rear plus a third integrated into the Intel® High Definition Audio™ compatible front panel header.  Also a stereo line input to the rear. The SB1510 (CA0132, Intel HDA-compatible) is still in production.

And speaking of ASUS®, they've an entirely new family of audio cards in the STRIX® Series, which packs the C-Media® CMI6632AX DSP and one of three ESS multichannel DACs.  (The STRIX® RAID DLX has a SABRE9016, which packs eight channels rated for 124 dB S/N.)

Jan 16, 2017 at 8:38 AM Post #306 of 400
Creative Laboratories® recently revived the Audigy platform in the form of the SB1550 (Creative Technology CA10300-IAT), which packs two microphone inputs to the rear plus a third integrated into the Intel® High Definition Audio™ compatible front panel header.  Also a stereo line input to the rear. The SB1510 (CA0132, Intel HDA-compatible) is still in production.

And speaking of ASUS®, they've an entirely new family of audio cards in the STRIX® Series, which packs the C-Media® CMI6632AX DSP and one of three ESS multichannel DACs.  (The STRIX® RAID DLX has a SABRE9016, which packs eight channels rated for 124 dB S/N.)

Looks like the aforementioned new cards are getting poor reviews. Asus in particular seems to have poor driver support, as usual.

Jan 16, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #307 of 400
  Did the high pitch sound like this: (warning, I suggest removing your headphones)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZqELNjFh0o
That's how it sounded for me (obviously much louder considering I'm recording the sound coming from my headphones...)

For now, I must say, it happened again not that long ago, which resulted in me getting surprised and literally throwing my headphones at the floor in a panic, breaking them... I was able to repair them with some Shoe Goo(don't judge me, that stuff works wonder), but now I've pretty much set my mind, I'm selling the card, just waiting for the holidays to end.

Yes. I could clearly hear that sound predominantly, and whatever soundfile it is spawning on.
The first time I could hear that noise the the windows boot jingle was also playing. The screech kept on howling on until I removed my headset plug. I reacted pretty quickly, so it's possible the sound would have died out on its own once the jingle was done.

I haven't experienced this issue since my last edit, and every time I launch any audio-producing application the first time on a fresh boot up I instinctively take the headphones off before sounds start playing.

It sucks that you had to go through that! Stings the ear like a mofo.

I noticed that a lot of people have previously mentioned using Firefox+Youtube when getting this issue. I have never had this happen in chrome using youtube. Might be worth switching over if you have this card and use FF.

Did you have Windows volume set at max?

No I have it at around 20-25%. The first time I experienced this (windows jingle going full volume and 6hz screech) I had asus xonar audio center mix at 100%. I since returned it to its default (I went to 'mixer' and pressed 'default'). I'm not 100% sure if I had my Spotify 6hz screech before or after I reverted back to default.

Jan 28, 2017 at 1:08 AM Post #310 of 400
Taken under advisement, although I cannot guarantee that C-Media® CMI-8788 Driver 8.3.1.1825 will kill the 6 kHz scream for good, especially with ASUSTeK Computer, Inc., not having a system that can reproduce the conditions under which it occurs under any of Microsoft® Windows® 6 through 10 - and the bug has been open since 2008, when 6.0.6000 first hit the market.  My own STX has given no trouble at all in ALSA snd-virtuoso 1.0.26; I'd sooner put a refurb Creative Laboratories® SB0350 into the CM1630 than attempt to reinstall the STX.

Feb 12, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #311 of 400
everybody getting this problem? My asus card is heavily modified, (with external masterclock and opamp+capacitor change etc.)
so I thought I was the only one with this problem in the world...

basshead.gif

it is very scary that I usually watch netflix at night through my speakers and amplifiers. it is so loud that can burn speaker tweeters or power amplifier.
It happened 3 or 4 times since it was started.

I am using the Unixonar drivers on windows 7 64 bit
asus mainboard
i3 intel CPU
600watt seasonic PSU

this problem occurs since I turn my GAME PC into HTPC:
I replaced my cpu(amd bulldozer) with i3
I replaced my mainboard also (with ASUS, older was GIGABYTE)
I changed opamps (with NE5532)

It happens every 1 month or two months, on youtube on netflix on spotify on JRiver or etc.

Feb 12, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #312 of 400
Update:

the default setting for playback volume is 76. I was using up to 90-95 and went back to default. Since my last post it has not happened again. I have no clue if that's coincidence or not. I'm using the sennheiser hd 650 and also went from high gain to extra high gain after lowering the playback volume back to the default settings.  

tldr:

old settings: high gain + 95 playback volume
new settings: extra high gain + default(76) playback volume -> problem hasn't occurred since then

I'll keep you guys up to date. 

Feb 13, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #313 of 400
  Update:

the default setting for playback volume is 76. I was using up to 90-95 and went back to default. Since my last post it has not happened again. I have no clue if that's coincidence or not. I'm using the sennheiser hd 650 and also went from high gain to extra high gain after lowering the playback volume back to the default settings.  

tldr:

old settings: high gain + 95 playback volume
new settings: extra high gain + default(76) playback volume -> problem hasn't occurred since then

I'll keep you guys up to date. 

my volume is always 20%, it happens independent from volume control I think.

Feb 14, 2017 at 3:36 AM Post #314 of 400
Just a reminder that there is a Microsoft Windows audio guy interested in this issue, and if anyone can get the sound to trigger while running a diagnostic program, he will investigate what is happening.

More info here
https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/4gis49/asus_xonar_stx_6khz_squealing/

and here for setting up the diagnostic.
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/matthew_van_eerde/2015/08/11/taking-audio-glitch-traces-on-windows-10-desktop-edition/

I never had the issue at all for years until I installed Win 10 and I've had it ever since. There are plenty of people who've had it with Win7, Win8 & Win10 so it doesn't seem to be the defining Factor.

I've tried reinstalling drivers, changing settings and all sorts of things but it still comes back.
My latest setting is windows sounds set to "none" in the audio control panel and I haven't had the issue in a month or so... but that's not to say it won't come back.

Feb 16, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #315 of 400
While using it and having the banshee scream of death under W10, I've always had my DX at default 76 CP volume and windows mixer (speakers) from 30 to 80% w/ windows sounds disabled. Btw, did anyone test the w10-only unixonar .1825 to see if it they help?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back