What's the best amp for HD800
Jul 9, 2017 at 3:28 AM Post #541 of 680
Well, this is just me chiming in randomly to share my thoughts about my ARCAM irDAC-Burson Soloist SL and HD 800 (classic) pairing. :)
It's now been nearly 4 years since I've had this sound chain. Obviously I am still very impressed by it. The Burson Soloist SL is one heck of a great amp with a well designed, shortened signal pathway and really clean power supply. It also uses FET design for the transistors. The SL is an extremely clean and neutral sounding amp. It is by no means a warm amp and paired with the 800's it is a very clinical listen. Anyhow, throwing a great, punchy warm DAC like the ARCAM into the chain really balances and smooths things out where listening sessions can go on for hrs on end without feeling burnt out.
My 2 cents added. I highly recommend the Burson Soloist for those who really dig the extremely neutral and accurate listening sessions. I know it's not for everyone, especially since this sound chain listed above really exposes bad sources or poorly mixed recordings.

Enjoy the music everyone. The HD 800's are still in my opinion a World beater headphone!
I know thats an old post but i just came across it.

I totally agree. For $1000usd to pick up a 2nd hand irdac and burson soloist i had that rather than the sl) it is an exceptional combo. Very versatile with lots of hps. The synergy of the two is fantastic.

When i upgraded and split the pair in the process of looking for stuff i didnt find another dac to pair with the soloist or too good an amp to pair with the irdac. I found the irdac too closed for upgrading purposes and the soloist too grainy/bright with other dacs i tried (including the burson amp/ sabre dac gear but together the irdac and soloist were great.

Jul 17, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #542 of 680
It's a real synergy gone totally right.
I was really surprised how well it's worked out and the pairing is STILL going strong. Your thoughts and impressions I feel are dead on. The ARCAM irDAC (ARCAM is now owned by HARMEN) is kind of a meaty DAC. It has warmth and bass presence, which matches so well with an amp like the soloist because it is very neutral and a stickler for detail, which some find is brightness.
Anyway man. I look back when I bought it and I think I got lucky. I did do my research, but I didn't think it would've been this good. Lastly I recently added the OPPO BDP 83 universal cd transport/blu ray player to the mix and my god it's great.

Enjoy the music and thanks for your thoughts. :)

Jul 17, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #543 of 680
If u have the fund, I go straight to ECP L3 or DSHA-3 for HD800 pairing.

Jul 17, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #544 of 680
Best amp with HD800's?

I have a strong opinion...

35947429486_4fd3f809b5_b.jpg

Jul 17, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #546 of 680
anyone tried it with Sony TA-ZH1ES?
It is a very good but not the best pairing. The ZH1ES could have used a little more power to bring out better sense of dynamics and attack from the HD800. The ZH1ES smooth and warm nature does work well with the HD800's treble however.

Jul 18, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #547 of 680
Best amp with HD800's?

Ah, this blue deck was on my mind since literally forever. I haven't heard it but am going to say that I've seen at least several times someone suggested it to match with HD 800 on this very forum.

Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en
Jul 19, 2017 at 2:56 AM Post #549 of 680
Both Stratus and Stellaris are amongst the finest amplifier for HD800. No doubt. Heard both and still own the Stratus with last upgrades. I'd be curious to compare the last iteration of thes Stratus to the Stellaris :)

Jul 21, 2017 at 1:39 AM Post #551 of 680
Best amp with HD800's?

Oh I love that you sit atop on Mount. D.A.V.E
It really has to be the best DAC I've ever heard. Nice Rig, Paul. A real pleasure dome for sure. :)

Aug 2, 2017 at 4:59 AM Post #555 of 680
... and what about the Bakoon HPA-21? Searching this thread I could not (yet) find a reference to the Korean built, battery powered Satri IC amplifier.
I can confirm It is a great pair to the HD800 smoothing the Senn's tendancy to a bit crispy trebles and emphasizing the right level and control of bass some people miss in the HD800.

Best Regards,
Hi-Head

Users who are viewing this thread

Back