What's the best amp for HD800
Aug 4, 2017 at 2:36 AM Post #557 of 680
I don't think you should focus on just amplifier. There are other components that have to work in synergy with the amplifier.

With the Hugo 1 + high-end cables + Taurus MKII, the HD 800 sounded really great. Really nice tonal balance. But with different cables and a different DAC, the HD 800 will probably sound different (and potentially worse).

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2017 at 3:04 AM Post #558 of 680
I don't think you should focus on just amplifier. There are other components that have to work in synergy with the amplifier.
I fully agree, that's one of the reasons why I will soon audition the combination of a Bakoon DAC-21 (replacing my T+A DAC 8 converter) and the Bakoon HPA-21 head amp through Satri link. I know this is a very unique and rare combination. And I have high expectations sound quality improvement wise based on the synergies from these two Bakoon products. I hope this will let the HD 800 even futher shine...

Best Regards,
Hi-Head

Aug 5, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #562 of 680

Agreed. I have wyrd + X-Sabre + Liquid Carbon through balanced with impact audio cable and it sounds amazing! Just wonder if I can get better with it. Currently searching for end game DAC and Amp. Interested in X-sabre pro or yggdrasil and eddie current BW.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2017 at 1:49 AM Post #563 of 680
Agreed. I have wyrd + X-Sabre + Liquid Carbon through balanced with impact audio cable and it sounds amazing! Just wonder if I can get better with it. Currently searching for end game DAC and Amp. Interested in X-sabre pro or yggdrasil and eddie current BW.

Yes it can and by a lot. If you have the chance to audition any ECP audio amplifiers, do it. Yes, I had the liquid carbon in the past and it is very decent but far from being the best amp for the hd800.

Aug 6, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #565 of 680
Oh man, I'm both pleased and saddened by this new found interest (past ten-years) with headphones. I loved phones throughout the 1980' (and 90's) but simply cannot enjoy them anymore .... argh. Back then, I would have marveled and found most welcoming the current talk & recommendations concerning premium headphones and amplification.

I will say this: Considering the time-frame noted above, the thought of a $4,000. headphone amplifier (under 1-watt; 1,000 mW) is shocking !
Is it really necessary (as in clearly superior SQ) that such a (credible) expensive amplifier delivers ?

One other thing I find most peculiar; rarely is head-band design discussed ? My last set of cans AKG (K-701's?, circa 2005, $300. retail) had the most ridiculously poor head-band design; it simply would not "hold" on to a particular position. So frustrating, I chucked them -I think.

With that said, can anyone recommend a premium (under $1K headphone -home use) that excels in transparency, accuracy and a supremely articulate, transparent, clean/clear LF (bass) performance ? No thumping colorations parading as deep bass need apply.

Thx,

pj
P.S. I'll play the lotteries in hopes to secure an appropriate headphone amplifier. lol

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #566 of 680
Would the ECP amps be too neutral/"bright" sounding with the HD800?

Out of the for models I have auditioned, they all match very very well with the HD800. The tonality is either neutral with expansive soundstage or slightly warm with tube like midrange. I strongly recommend everyone to give ECP audio a try. The ECP DSHA-1, L2, DSHA-2, 3, 4, and L3 all sound immensely wonderful with the HD800. Doug really know his stuff.

Aug 9, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #568 of 680
Out of the for models I have auditioned, they all match very very well with the HD800. The tonality is either neutral with expansive soundstage or slightly warm with tube like midrange. I strongly recommend everyone to give ECP audio a try. The ECP DSHA-1, L2, DSHA-2, 3, 4, and L3 all sound immensely wonderful with the HD800. Doug really know his stuff.

Can you recommend any SS amp from ECP? I try to look at their website but not sure how it works and I don't see any SS amp that is still in production.

Aug 9, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #569 of 680
DSHA-1 is a SS amp.

As for getting one...

Untitled-1.png

Aug 10, 2017 at 1:41 AM Post #570 of 680
Can you recommend any SS amp from ECP? I try to look at their website but not sure how it works and I don't see any SS amp that is still in production.

Although not cheap, but you can order the DSHA-2 from Doug for around $2400, while the DSHA-3 can be purchased for around $3300 depending options and type of wood panels. The DSHA-1 is also a really good choice but the DSHA-2 is a little bit more transparent. I would rate the DSHA-2 as a small amp that really could. You can contact Doug via e-mail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back