Wells Audio Milo - Impressions And Discussion Thread
May 17, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #496 of 1,022
I have just finished reading this entire thread and may purchase a Milo in the very near future. Just one quick question first. Has anyone heard the Milo driving Ether Flows? Any info would be great.

I did at a meet I held a few months ago. I did not like the Flows, but that had nothing to do with the Milo.
There were many amps there and I didn't like the Flows on any of them. I suppose a tube amp might be best for them as I found them to be a bit brittle,bright, lacking body and possessing no personality at all. A year earlier, I listened to both the Ether and Ether C and felt the same way back then. This is not to say that they are a bad headphone, but I find Hifiman he-500,he-6,he-1k and all Audeze LCDs to be superior IMO.

May 18, 2017 at 12:18 AM Post #498 of 1,022
I have just finished reading this entire thread and may purchase a Milo in the very near future. Just one quick question first. Has anyone heard the Milo driving Ether Flows? Any info would be great.

Should work great, but be sure to get the Khozmo attenuator upgrade, as it has a more aggressive volume taper and the Ether Flow is fairly sensitive. I haven't listened to the Ether Flow on it, but I spent a good amount of time listening to the ÆON on it when I did my review and it was very lively and dynamic.

May 18, 2017 at 1:24 AM Post #499 of 1,022
TBH, I was just putting a feeler out there wrt the Ether Flows. I have read up quite a bit on them here on HF and some folks said they could be a bit bright while many others couched this rather in terms of sparkle or transparency. Personally, I like HPs that have great transient attack but not at the expense of being in any way bright. My thought was that possibly the Milo with its iron control and total lack of grain may tame any perceived brightness the Ether Flows may (or may not) have. I will probably steer clear of them.

May 18, 2017 at 5:25 AM Post #500 of 1,022
https://www.head-fi.org/f/showcase/wells-audio-milo.22368/reviews

Went ahead and posted my review. Not a finished product yet, but will make my finals edits and additions over the next day or two.

Hope you Milo fans dig it!

Nice review Dillan. One thing about it does concern me though: Your very last sentence "I know I enjoyed every second I spent with it." Past tense? You mean you don't have the Milo any more?!? My deepest sympathies....

May 27, 2017 at 12:06 AM Post #503 of 1,022
Nice review Dillan. One thing about it does concern me though: Your very last sentence "I know I enjoyed every second I spent with it." Past tense? You mean you don't have the Milo any more?!? My deepest sympathies....

I enjoyed it so much that I am having a head trip built right now haha I absolutely love the milo and Jeff is a world class engineer and an overall cool dude.

May 28, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #504 of 1,022
Ah, phew, was worried for you!

I'm not sure I'll ever have the pleasure of trying out an even-better Wells amp, but for now, with the Milo, I'm certainly not going to be looking around for any other amp for the foreseeable future.

Jun 8, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #505 of 1,022
Deleted

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #506 of 1,022
Just wanted to report that after about a week of listening i'm thoroughly enjoying my Milo! It's probably got about 60 hours on it between overnight burn-in and my listening. Random note... in talking to Jeff apparently it's pronounced "my-low" vs "me-low" as i had been pronouncing it for some reason. This has probably been mentioned, but he named it after his nephew, which I think is cool. Gotta love family! Jeff seems like a legit dude and i'm happy guys like him are taking such good care when building gear for us.

The Milo is just effortlessly squeezing every ounce of quality out of my HE1000 v2. Their is no harshness whatsoever to the sound. The highs get sparkly and i hear the details, while going nowhere near bright (and i'm sensitive to that). Mids are full but not over pronounced, they provide energy in certain songs that is very welcomed (mids are very important to me and i'm completely content here). The lows go very deep when called upon, but have such a sense of control that i'm not really used to. Rather than just hearing a common deep bass hit/thump, it's so cool to be able to distinguish where the deep note begins and ends. It's given me more of an appreciation for carefully crafted bass lines that used to just play a supporting role in many songs to me. Also, dare I say it the Milo is almost tube-like. Not that it's overly warm or syrupy, in fact i think it's fairly neutral, but it sounds very organic and real vs sterile and digital sound quality that i've heard through some solid state amps.

For inquiring minds i've been mainly listening with the volume pot between 10 o'clock and 1 o'clock (rarely past 12 though). 11 o'clock seems to be my sweet spot with most music. I can turn louder than 1 with some songs without making my ears bleed, but don't really need to.

I'm loving the look and build quality. Upright may not be for everyone, but with a few additions to it's stock form at Jeff's recommendation, this was a lot of money for me to pay for an amp so i appreciate that it has a unique quality and is an attention grabber when friends are over.

In the end, the only drawback in my eyes is that there are no tubes to play with (not Milo's fault of course!). If i didn't enjoy my brief time tube rolling with the Schiit Lyr 2 (sold it because I didn't like it with the HE1000) so much this would be the only amp i would ever need. I may get a Woo WA6 or something in that price range for every once in a while when i wanna mix things up and get some warm syrupy distortion! But this thing is a keeper for sure and I'm thoroughly content with the sound of my HEKs now.

Jun 20, 2017 at 3:25 AM Post #507 of 1,022
Just wanted to report that after about a week of listening i'm thoroughly enjoying my Milo! It's probably got about 60 hours on it between overnight burn-in and my listening. Random note... in talking to Jeff apparently it's pronounced "my-low" vs "me-low" as i had been pronouncing it for some reason. This has probably been mentioned, but he named it after his nephew, which I think is cool. Gotta love family! Jeff seems like a legit dude and i'm happy guys like him are taking such good care when building gear for us.

The Milo is just effortlessly squeezing every ounce of quality out of my HE1000 v2. Their is no harshness whatsoever to the sound. The highs get sparkly and i hear the details, while going nowhere near bright (and i'm sensitive to that). Mids are full but not over pronounced, they provide energy in certain songs that is very welcomed (mids are very important to me and i'm completely content here). The lows go very deep when called upon, but have such a sense of control that i'm not really used to. Rather than just hearing a common deep bass hit/thump, it's so cool to be able to distinguish where the deep note begins and ends. It's given me more of an appreciation for carefully crafted bass lines that used to just play a supporting role in many songs to me. Also, dare I say it the Milo is almost tube-like. Not that it's overly warm or syrupy, in fact i think it's fairly neutral, but it sounds very organic and real vs sterile and digital sound quality that i've heard through some solid state amps.

For inquiring minds i've been mainly listening with the volume pot between 10 o'clock and 1 o'clock (rarely past 12 though). 11 o'clock seems to be my sweet spot with most music. I can turn louder than 1 with some songs without making my ears bleed, but don't really need to.

I'm loving the look and build quality. Upright may not be for everyone, but with a few additions to it's stock form at Jeff's recommendation, this was a lot of money for me to pay for an amp so i appreciate that it has a unique quality and is an attention grabber when friends are over.

In the end, the only drawback in my eyes is that there are no tubes to play with (not Milo's fault of course!). If i didn't enjoy my brief time tube rolling with the Schiit Lyr 2 (sold it because I didn't like it with the HE1000) so much this would be the only amp i would ever need. I may get a Woo WA6 or something in that price range for every once in a while when i wanna mix things up and get some warm syrupy distortion! But this thing is a keeper for sure and I'm thoroughly content with the sound of my HEKs now.
Hi weissja36-Great review of the Milo. I think you really nailed it on the sound and characteristics, especially the lack of any etch or electronic signature but without sacrificing any resolution. BTW, Milo is my grandson and not nephew. Honest mistake. Keep up the good work!

Jun 20, 2017 at 4:29 AM Post #508 of 1,022
Hi weissja36-Great review of the Milo. I think you really nailed it on the sound and characteristics, especially the lack of any etch or electronic signature but without sacrificing any resolution. BTW, Milo is my grandson and not nephew. Honest mistake. Keep up the good work!

Thanks Jeff. Glad to offer much deserved praise for this amp. Great new descriptive word "etch" for my sound vocab!

Jun 20, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #509 of 1,022
...in talking to Jeff apparently it's pronounced "my-low" vs "me-low" as i had been pronouncing it for some reason.

"Me-low" is Russian version. In mother Russia, amplifier listens to you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back